Menu

Florida gals and SE coasters, whatcha thinking about Matthew?

Seasider

Jane, just got on to see where you are at. Oldest called the dispatcher, who rescheduled his flight to Charleston to Mon. No second on the ship so they are unlikely to go anywhere. And middle one will just stay safe in Maine if his flight is canceled.

Everyone else, stay safe! Matthew looks like it might do a loop. Ug.

Nan

• Like 2

So a couple of weeks ago my mother was opening the patio umbrella and a bunch of bats flew out, one hitting her in the face.  Long story short she had to get rabies shots.  So she was already in a freaked out rodent/pest state.

Now while prepping for the storm yesterday they opened up the grill cover and a rat was chewing on the grill grate.  

So there is a hurricane coming, they have evacuated, they don't have any sort of shutters or can board up the windows or anything.  It just is as it is.  On top of that my mother is freaked out that they have been eating off a grill that rats apparently climb onto and chew at what sticks behind.  (The rats live in the underbrush and pine needles between the houses an golf course they back up to.)

Apparently telling her that the temperature that the grill grates reaches before you put the food on was not helpful. Telling her in the olden days a rat on the grill actually meant you were eating rat for dinner was less helpful.  At this point I am pretty sure she thinks they will never be eating on that grill again and are getting a new one.

So then I figured out what would cheer her up.  The hurricane.  Homeowners insurance would have a code and payout for "BBQ damaged in storm".  Which is good as there is little chance they would cover, or have a payout code for "BBQ sat and chewed on by rodent."

She told me to stop offering up optimist solutions.  But she added a number of @#*$#@% before that. 

My step dad however found it hilarious...

• Like 25

We're praying hard for everyone.

We live in the Upstate SC area and I know that they sent all of our local school buses to evacuate the coast (Charleston, etc) today to bring everyone who needed it back to shelters here (civic centers, high schools if necessary). 

My grandmother lives in southern FL and doesn't want to leave (and is not in a mandatory evac area). 

My brother's family evacuated from SE FL to SW FL and they are concerned it will loop and come back their way. The question I have as a non-FL person is if the east coast gets hit by the hurricane and the west gets the tropical storm, what will it be like trying to evacuate from west FL to get away from the hurricane's return path?  Will the roads be covered with debris? Do tropical storms take out power lines? (I would think they would?)

It's days like this I wish it didn't take them seven hours just to drive out of the state of FL.  It's one long state.  

• Like 3

We're in Jacksonville and my phone has gone off twice in the past hour over Hurricane Warnings.

We're not that close to the beach, so will stay put.  Have supplies, but could always have more.  Need to bring in some furniture from the screened in porch tomorrow and a potted plant.  Schools here have been cancelled tomorrow and Friday.  I just hope we keep power. 

• Like 3

Oh, no!  Do they at least have enough gas to come to your house when they power is knocked out for 3 days?

I was in Melbourne when little bitty Erin hit in 1995....we were without power for two weeks, and flooded in our house for over a week (water didn't come in the house, but the street was flooded and wasn't drivable) and that was in the middle of Melbourne.  No way in Hell would I be on the islands in Brevard County right now.

• Like 5

BOOM! We're ground zero.

11:00 update has winds at 140-145 and landfall in Cape Canaveral. That's where my brother lives. He had trouble getting the cat, but finally caught her. They're heading inland. We're as hunkered down and prepared as we can be. We're still going to see 100+mph winds but hopefully no flooding. All of our neighbors are staying and have boarded up. 

I hate this city - it's backward and dead - but I love my neighborhood. On our facebook page people who are staying have chimed in to say where they live and what they can help with. Dh is next door helping the neighbor finish putting up his shutters. This morning everyone was out on our cul de sac pledging to check on each other after it's all over. 

I've lived in Florida 47 years, 46 in my current city. I've never experienced a direct hit like this.

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Like 5

BOOM! We're ground zero.

11:00 update has winds at 140-145 and landfall in Cape Canaveral. That's where my brother lives. He had trouble getting the cat, but finally caught her. They're heading inland. We're as hunkered down and prepared as we can be. We're still going to see 100+mph winds but hopefully no flooding. All of our neighbors are staying and have boarded up.

I hate this city - it's backward and dead - but I love my neighborhood. On our facebook page people who are staying have chimed in to say where they live and what they can help with. Dh is next door helping the neighbor finish putting up his shutters. This morning everyone was out on our cul de sac pledging to check on each other after it's all over.

I've lived in Florida 47 years, 46 in my current city. I've never experienced a direct hit like this.

Wow

The NOAA graphics look really scary.

Holding you all in the light...

Make sure you check in as soon as you can when this is over. I,ll be waiting here to hear from you.

Extra hugs

Nan

• Like 3

My brother's family evacuated from SE FL to SW FL and they are concerned it will loop and come back their way. The question I have as a non-FL person is if the east coast gets hit by the hurricane and the west gets the tropical storm, what will it be like trying to evacuate from west FL to get away from the hurricane's return path?  Will the roads be covered with debris? Do tropical storms take out power lines? (I would think they would?)

It's days like this I wish it didn't take them seven hours just to drive out of the state of FL.  It's one long state.  

I no longer live in Florida, but my dad was a police chief there, and a cousin currently works in emergency management.

Where there's a direct hit, the roads will definitely be impassible, perhaps for a day or longer.  Priority one is safety and electric lines.  These are restored sooner in cities and commercial zones.  On the other side of the state, a tropical storm is basically a big severe thunderstorm, so there may be some flooding, or a downed tree or 15, but damage won't be severe.

In a lower power storm, people in flood zones and non secure dwellings (like mobile homes) are evacuated to secure buildings  - typically masonry buildings like schools have multiple designated storm shelters.  In my schools, the library, cafeteria, and possibly auditorium were all built with sturdy masonry walls and no windows to serve as community storm shelters.  The need for storm shelters is why schools are closed for so long before and after storms hit.

I think around category 3 other people are evacuated too - if you're not in a brick or stone house, you will be encouraged to evacuate if you are within a certain number of miles from the coast.

I honestly don't know what the break off is for a huge storm like this one, because the one time a storm this big was headed for the place I lived as a kid, I was sent out of state to visit relatives.   At some point they declare mandatory evacuations, which doesn't mean you can't ignore the warning and stay anyway (many do to prevent looting), but it does mean emergency response is unlikely to come for you if you need them.

The best thing to do is to always have 3 weeks of food and water in storage May - December (at least some of which that needs no heat to prepare), have a propane or natural gas stove, and always keep your vehicle's gas tank more than 3/4 full in hurricane season so that you can have enough to get out in a bad storm.

SC schools are closed Wed-Fri and roads on the evacuation route are going to be going West bound only starting I think today.

They are saying that 100 miles off the coast to the coast is in the most danger.

We are inland (Charlotte area) but should get a lot of rain.

Our local schools have cancelled all Fri-Sun activities and travels (out of state band competition, Friday night games, etc...)

My parents are in Columbia. My mom works at the University of SC and they aren't running today. She said the roads are West Bound only already (part of the reason they closed down government offices, university, schools was because without the Interstates, people would have a hard time getting to work.) Also they are sending the school buses in caravans to the coast to help people get out who do not have transportation of their own.  A friend works at Clemson and posted pictures of the school buses going past.

Remember, this is the area that recently had a gas shortage. I wonder how that is affecting the evacuation as well.

FL peeps....

Governor Scott said to text 888777 and type FLPREPARES This will sign you up to receive text message updates about Hurricane Matthew from the state emergency response team. Please sign up and pass the information along to friends and family.

It works.

A lot of our gas stations (Jacksonville) are out of gas.  I don't remember this from past hurricanes, but Jacksonville is usually pretty lucky.  They say our beach area will be flooded included the main street 3rd/A1A.  Just two weeks ago, I was thinking (on the beach), gosh, why didn't I buy a house down here so I could walk on the beach every day.  It would have gone up in value more than my current home.  Now I'm grateful I'm in inland suburbia. LOL

• Like 7

FL peeps....

Governor Scott said to text 888777 and type FLPREPARES This will sign you up to receive text message updates about Hurricane Matthew from the state emergency response team. Please sign up and pass the information along to friends and family.

It works.

Thanks. I saw that early this morning then forgot the numbers (even though they're easy to remember). I was going to look it up but now I don't have to.

• Like 1

So my parents are now at my sister's house in Orlando, thank goodness. But they are exhausted from preparing yesterday, and are babysitting my nieces while my sister is at the school /shelter working. 

We are mostly ready, but my son and I were diagnosed with ear infection/sinus infections this morning, so I have to go back out to pick up antibiotics for both of us. Gotta tell you how great a sinus infection feels with a low pressure storm, not looking forward to that. But at least we went in and got seen, and I don't have to worry it's going to turn into bronchitis or anything worse during the storm. 

So exhausted though, that exhaustion that only comes from a sinus infection. Plus pregnancy. Plus stress. 

• Like 3

Lady Florida, stay safe as well as everyone else in this path.  We are still across the country from our family and our home.  Concerned about everything.

If I was told to evacuate I would. However, I understand why some people do stay. It has to be hard not being home and not knowing what you'll find when you get home. (((((hugs))))

We are mostly ready, but my son and I were diagnosed with ear infection/sinus infections this morning, so I have to go back out to pick up antibiotics for both of us. Gotta tell you how great a sinus infection feels with a low pressure storm, not looking forward to that. But at least we went in and got seen, and I don't have to worry it's going to turn into bronchitis or anything worse during the storm. 

Oh good heavens! Stopped up ears and sinuses with this pressure! I hope the meds start working quickly. I had a cold but am nearly over it. Dh caught it from me but fortunately didn't get it as bad as I did, so he's not too stuffed up.

• Like 1

BOOM! We're ground zero.

Lady Florida, Katie, and others in Florida: I am praying for your safety today! Please update us when you can, letting us know that all of you (and your loved ones) are ok!

• Like 3

BOOM! We're ground zero.

Are you sure you can't go farther inland?

One of the big problems following a major hit like this is long term disruption of services. Even if your house doesn't sustain major damage, there's no water, electricity... after Katrina there was no access to gas stations, grocery stores, bank ATMs.... I'm not sure how far inland you are, but have you taken some emergency cash out of the bank?

You and the others in the direct hit area are in my thoughts and prayers.

Merrit Island NW area is one of my very favorite places. The thought of decades-old eagle and osprey nests getting scattered makes me sad, too. But I am most concerned for the people.

Edited by Seasider
  • Like 1

BOOM! We're ground zero.

Yikes. Sending good thoughts...

:grouphug:

• Like 1

Talk about stupid--  My dh works in the same area as another contractor (from another company, thankfully) who had reservations for a vacation in Florida for next week.  On Tuesday, he told my dh that he is flying out early (like Tuesday) so he doesn't lose his vacation rental.  And yes, it is on the East Coast of FLorida in an area that is now under the Hurricane Warning and I think it even was on Tuesday.   That is all your state needs- dumb tourists to come and view the disaster that is coming.

Prayers and good thoughts for all's safety.

On the other side of the state, a tropical storm is basically a big severe thunderstorm, so there may be some flooding, or a downed tree or 15, but damage won't be severe.

<SNIP>

At some point they declare mandatory evacuations, which doesn't mean you can't ignore the warning and stay anyway (many do to prevent looting), but it does mean emergency response is unlikely to come for you if you need them.

I agree with all you've said except the first point quoted above. You describe a best case scenario in a TS. However, one that stalls can cause devastating flooding. This summer's flooding in Louisiana was caused by a stalled weather system that had almost all the properties of a TS, but wasn't called one because it formed over land instead of water. Current estimates are that damage costs will exceed those generated by Katrina.

As for evacuating, I think it varies due to factors like population and available transit routes for evacuation. That's why it's important to listen to local news, not just The Weather Channel or a national broadcast. But it is true that first responders are not obligated to come to the aid of anyone who ignored the mandatory evacuation order.

Now if you wanna talk about how impoverished folks are supposed to evacuate, that's a whole 'nother debate...

Are you sure you can't go farther inland?

One of the big problems following a major hit like this is long term disruption of services. Even if your house doesn't sustain major damage, there's no water, electricity... after Katrina there was no access to gas stations, grocery stores, bank ATMs.... I'm not sure how far inland you are, but have you taken some emergency cash out of the bank?

You and the others in the direct hit area are in my thoughts and prayers.

Merrit Island NW area is one of my very favorite places. The thought of decades-old eagle and osprey nests getting scattered makes me sad, too. But I am most concerned for the people.

There's really nowhere to go that won't get hit pretty hard, unless we go to the west coast or the panhandle. Most of the pet friendly hotels are already booked in those areas. We have family in inland Volusia County who offered for us to go there, but they got it worse than we did in 2004. Dss lives in Osceola County but they're notorious for getting tornadoes (though not like mid-west ones) that spin off from these storms. 

Power went out in 2004 and it was not fun but it's survivable. If I thought we weren't safe we'd leave, but people who leave when it's not recommended for them to do so only add to the traffic nightmare. 

I'm about 30 miles inland and somewhat protected by the barrier islands. If you look at a map of Florida's east coast and see where it juts out, I'm on the west side of that. The cape (geographical cape) protects us a bit. Not that it won't be bad here, but it's not like living on the barrier islands.

• Like 2

There's really nowhere to go that won't get hit pretty hard, unless we go to the west coast or the panhandle. Most of the pet friendly hotels are already booked in those areas. We have family in inland Volusia County who offered for us to go there, but they got it worse than we did in 2004. Dss lives in Osceola County but they're notorious for getting tornadoes (though not like mid-west ones) that spin off from these storms.

Power went out in 2004 and it was not fun but it's survivable. If I thought we weren't safe we'd leave, but people who leave when it's not recommended for them to do so only add to the traffic nightmare.

I'm about 30 miles inland and somewhat protected by the barrier islands. If you look at a map of Florida's east coast and see where it juts out, I'm on the west side of that. The cape (geographical cape) protects us a bit. Not that it won't be bad here, but it's not like living on the barrier islands.

I will be thinking of you and all the east coast siders who are going to get scraped.

ETA 2004, that was a year, Charley, Jeanne, Frances....

Edited by Seasider
  • Like 1

We have only been in  Central Florida about 15 months so hurricanes are a new one for us.  I'm not too worried, mainly made sure we had plenty of food for our dog.   We are use to tornados but obviously don't have a basement/safe place here so that is about my only concern.  

My daughter wasn't happy today when most of her friends were off school and of course her 'mean mom' still had her do her schoolwork :)

SaveSave

Edited by zimom
  • Like 1

I agree with all you've said except the first point quoted above. You describe a best case scenario in a TS. However, one that stalls can cause devastating flooding. This summer's flooding in Louisiana was caused by a stalled weather system that had almost all the properties of a TS, but wasn't called one because it formed over land instead of water. Current estimates are that damage costs will exceed those generated by Katrina.

As for evacuating, I think it varies due to factors like population and available transit routes for evacuation. That's why it's important to listen to local news, not just The Weather Channel or a national broadcast. But it is true that first responders are not obligated to come to the aid of anyone who ignored the mandatory evacuation order.

Now if you wanna talk about how impoverished folks are supposed to evacuate, that's a whole 'nother debate...

That's true, although there aren't many places in the country that can handle days on end of very heavy rain without devastating flooding. 

And you're right, literally the only place impoverished people can go is public shelters.  When they're relocating hospital patients, I'm not sure I'd want to go to any shelter near the coast either.  Not to mention, shelters seldom take pets.  Though they have changed that with some shelters since Katrina, I know.

• Like 1

I'm worried about my parents as they are old and alone in the Orlando area.  They live on the St. John's river (big river in Florida) in a flood prone area, but are too _____ to move or even go to a hotel.  They have a generator, but their house is mostly glass, so it's not the best house for a hurricane.  Don't like the thought of two 84 year olds alone....but they refused my offers of help.  Tried to get my Mom to go to a friends' house (not on the river), but she said no.  Say a prayer for them, please.

Edited by umsami
  • Like 8

That's true, although there aren't many places in the country that can handle days on end of very heavy rain without devastating flooding. 

And you're right, literally the only place impoverished people can go is public shelters.  When they're relocating hospital patients, I'm not sure I'd want to go to any shelter near the coast either.  Not to mention, shelters seldom take pets.  Though they have changed that with some shelters since Katrina, I know.

Many counties have 2 or 3 pet friendly shelters now. You have to have them in a carrier though.

• Like 3

Many counties have 2 or 3 pet friendly shelters now. You have to have them in a carrier though.

There is one shelter that is keeping the pets in their crates OUTSIDE under a covered area. I don't care how covered it is because my animals would be terrified to be out in that wind and noise. Thankfully, the other shelters are keeping them inside. I just can't get over the outdoor thing. I'd rather leave them home alone than do that. 

How thankful I am not to be in an evacuation zone. Across the street is evacuating but we don't have to go.

I'm worried about my parents as they are old and alone in the Orlando area.  They live on the St. John's river (big river in Florida) in a flood prone area, but are too _____ to move or even go to a hotel.  They have a generator, but their house is mostly glass, so it's not the best house for a generator.  Don't like the thought of two 84 year olds alone....but they refused my offers of help.  Tried to get my Mom to go to a friends' house (not on the river), but she said no.  Say a prayer for them, please.

Praying for your parents safety and your peace of mind. My mom stayed in her second floor apt once during flooding until the fire rescue guys carried her and her cats out. It made me crazy.

• Like 2

Universal Studios and Disney are closing.

Has this ever happened before?

Yes, but they usually only close for the smallest window of time they can get away with. We loved visiting WDW/Epcot before a hurricane - no lines or crowds. We would do all our prep and then head to the parks.

• Like 5

Yes, but they usually only close for the smallest window of time they can get away with. We loved visiting WDW/Epcot before a hurricane - no lines or crowds. We would do all our prep and then head to the parks.

It happens, but it's rare.  Immediately pre or post hurricane is often a good time to visit.  Strange, but true.

We Floridians and former Floridians know all the theme park secrets. :)

• Like 5

OK According to NBC, it's only the 4th time that Disney has closed since it opened it 1971.  (And all four times were relatively recently (past 20 years) when I was living in Florida, which is why I probably thought they'd done in more!)

Edited by umsami
  • Like 2

I know it is so hard! In good news, I heard that in Volusia County at least, if you go to any of the bus stops for the regular bus, they will transport you for free to a shelter. But they advise you bring food, games, toiletries, etc. And of course, if you are elderly or disabled, getting to the bus is a whole other issue. 

• Like 3

I know it is so hard! In good news, I heard that in Volusia County at least, if you go to any of the bus stops for the regular bus, they will transport you for free to a shelter. But they advise you bring food, games, toiletries, etc. And of course, if you are elderly or disabled, getting to the bus is a whole other issue. 

• Like 1

Dd, DSIL and the grands stopped at Epcot on their way out- it was all but deserted and the kids LOVED riding the Anna and Elsa ride with no line!  They only stayed about three hours but said they did more than when they are there all day. 

• Like 1

I'm worried about my parents as they are old and alone in the Orlando area.  They live on the St. John's river (big river in Florida) in a flood prone area, but are too _____ to move or even go to a hotel.  They have a generator, but their house is mostly glass, so it's not the best house for a hurricane.  Don't like the thought of two 84 year olds alone....but they refused my offers of help.  Tried to get my Mom to go to a friends' house (not on the river), but she said no.  Say a prayer for them, please.

:( I'm sorry.

Stay safe, Umsami.  This storm looks like it's going to give The First Coast a wallop.

• Like 1

There is one shelter that is keeping the pets in their crates OUTSIDE under a covered area. I don't care how covered it is because my animals would be terrified to be out in that wind and noise. Thankfully, the other shelters are keeping them inside. I just can't get over the outdoor thing. I'd rather leave them home alone than do that.

How thankful I am not to be in an evacuation zone. Across the street is evacuating but we don't have to go.

I have to ask- what's the difference from one side of the street to the other?

I have to ask- what's the difference from one side of the street to the other?

Lower ground? There isn't a river or ocean on the other side but there is a small lake so maybe they take the rise from all the rain into account. Whichever way it works, I am so glad I get to stay home with my critters. I think they would be traumatized by any shelter type of situation but I would do it if I had to.

ETA: I guess they have to cut off evacuation zones off somewhere. Maybe that's all there is to it. I am curious though.

Edited by slr1765

Lower ground? There isn't a river or ocean on the other side but there is a small lake so maybe they take the rise from all the rain into account. Whichever way it works, I am so glad I get to stay home with my critters. I think they would be traumatized by any shelter type of situation but I would do it if I had to.

ETA: I guess they have to cut off evacuation zones off somewhere. Maybe that's all there is to it. I am curious though.

Well stay safe! I am watching the forecasts and risk analysis trickle into my husband's computer because he has offices there and this thing is scary.

Praying for safe keeping to you all, family, friends and pets!