Menu

Ryan Lochte drama...

staceyobu

Even more than being a crime victim in another country, you don't want to be the perpetrator. Too many Americans seem to forget that local laws actually apply to them and they could end up dealing with a legal system that is completely unfamiliar and quite possibly corrupt. It's wrong and it's stupid.

If they (the swimmers) really weren't victims of any crime and were vandalizing property, I am completely disgusted, especially since they seemed to be wiling to let Brazil take the heat for their stupidity.

Edited by Amira
  • Like 13

A person on the British Olympic team said they were a victim of an armed robbery. The story I read wouldn't say who it was who was held at gunpoint. 

I am giving Loche the benefit of the doubt right now. I do think he is a bit full of himself, but that doesn't mean he wasn't a victim of a crime. Also their demeanor in the Olympic Village is meaningless. We ALL react differently to crisis situations and to judge people on that is childish, IMO. 

A person on the British Olympic team said they were a victim of an armed robbery. The story I read wouldn't say who it was who was held at gunpoint. 

I am giving Loche the benefit of the doubt right now. I do think he is a bit full of himself, but that doesn't mean he wasn't a victim of a crime. Also their demeanor in the Olympic Village is meaningless. We ALL react differently to crisis situations and to judge people on that is childish, IMO. 

There have been more developments today. The swimmers were vandalizing a convenience store at the time they were allegedly being robbed. 

I can't believe you guys can't think of anything that they would want to cover up because off the top of my head, I can think of several things.  There's partying and then there's partying. 

Adult prostitution is legal in Brazil but underage is not. 

Male prostitution. Legal but sponsors would have kittens in the uproar. 

Cocaine or other serious street drugs.  I find it interesting they keep saying they were intoxicated, not drunk. 

Maybe I'm jaded, but I don't think that any of these would be considered especially worthy of a coverup. In the US, we've had enough politicians and celebrities do these things, or be rumored to have done these things, that we're not surprised when another partakes. 

I'm not surprised with the story that's out now. What a bunch of jerks. 

• Like 2

There have been more developments today. The swimmers were vandalizing a convenience store at the time they were allegedly being robbed. 

Just found the story. Thank you! 

Still doesn't change the german who was killed, nor the british athlete who was mugged on Monday. 

• Like 1

It's interesting which way initial gut reactions go. I think some people are inclined to think the worst of a foreign country; I am inclined to think the worst of a US male elite swimmer. 

Right?!?!?! I mean, I believed the story, because why wouldn't I? But as soon as I heard that the police though it was fishy, my first thought was, "Yep, I can TOTALLY believe Lochte just made that up." It would be completely in character for him.

Also to everyone talking about the other crimes,yes, but I haven't heard the Rio police denying these things happened. Now, I could just be missing it, but I heard all these crime stories when they happened, and only the swimmer story being questioned by police. 

I also am astounded by the people who think these athletes would happily broadcast anything and everything they could be up to. Do politicians and celebrities get embroiled in sex scandals and the like? Yes. But they virtually never just walk down to the police station to tell them about it. They lie endlessly to cover them up. 

And now we see it was potentially "only" a fight and vandalism. And they still lied about it. Because very few people ENJOY that stuff being dragged out in the press. 

OK, so the video starts with them going in between 2 buildings, it looks like being followed by attendants (guys in uniform?) then coming back out and getting into a taxi, then getting out of the taxi with their hands up, then sitting on a curb for a long time, repeatedly making gestures of putting their hands up again, and pulling money out of their wallets.

It doesn't show any vandalism. It also doesn't ever show whoever they are looking at when they get out of the taxi and put their hands up.

I still think this looks a lot like somebody had a gun on them. 

Maybe they did make a mess at the gas station. Maybe a security guard did chase them down to pay for damage. But I don't think that's the biggest thing happening in these videos and I CERTAINLY do not trust the Brazilian government in their presentation of the events. 

Edited by Sassenach
  • Like 3

When the story first came out, I took it at face value, just because it seemed pretty straightforward. They were out partying, they got mugged. Seems like a thing that could happen. News reports, why make it up. But the minute it came into question, I was like, oy, this is just weird. I could totally believe they made it up, but I just couldn't figure out why. I mean, Lochte seems like a jerk, but I couldn't figure out a motive. Like, what could they be covering up that this would have covered it up somehow? Brasil's police are known for corruption, so that did make some sense... but it was so botched and weird that I still couldn't make it make enough sense that they would target them. So weird. Finally, the newest information... now it makes some sense.

• Like 5

OK, so the video starts with them going in between 2 buildings, it looks like being followed by attendants (guys in uniform?) then coming back out and getting into a taxi, then getting out of the taxi with their hands up, then sitting on a curb for a long time, repeatedly making gestures of putting their hands up again, and pulling money out of their wallets.

It doesn't show any vandalism. It also doesn't ever show whoever they are looking at when they get out of the taxi and put their hands up.

I still think this looks a lot like somebody had a gun on them. 

that was security telling them to stop, after they'd vandalized the place. http://g1.globo.com/rio-de-janeiro/olimpiadas/rio2016/noticia/2016/08/video-do-posto-de-gasolina-mostra-confusao-com-nadadores-americanos.html

Right, but why do they keep putting their hands up? And why haven't they released any video showing the angle of who they are looking at when they put their hands up? 

Edited by Sassenach

Is it really so hard to believe that that "security" pulled a gun on them and demanded money? Yes, if they vandalized the bathroom, they should pay for it, but getting a gun pulled on you is a whole new crime. What I see in the video definitely does not disprove that they had a gun pulled on them. If anything, I'm more convinced. People don't make those kinds of hands up gestures without being threatened. 

• Like 2

I would call that a crime. And I would definitely feel like I was just robbed by gunpoint.

Security in the US usually doesn't have guns.  Obviously in a different country there are different laws and definitions of what constitutes a crime. 

Grown men should know better than to get so intoxicated that they vandalize a place.  I don't have a whole lot of sympathy for them. 

• Like 7

I would call that a crime. And I would definitely feel like I was just robbed by gunpoint.

But is it a crime in Brazil? Doesn't matter if it's a crime where you are a citizen. What matters is the law where the incident took place. It'll be interesting to see what the laws are there. I find that all too often, people end up rather surprised that they will be held accountable by the laws in foreign countries........

• Like 3

In some parts of the world, private security have lots of authority. It doesn't make the security officials criminals. Just like gated housing complexes in the US can hire armed security personnel who can draw weapons on people who are committing a crime. 

What if:

The swimmers had vandalized the place & were trying to leave without paying for damages or taking any responsibility. 

Security gets involved. Has to pull guns because the swimmers are not listening to them.

Swimmers start waving wallets around trying to bribe their way out of it. 

How would that security video look? 

• Like 5

Security in the US usually doesn't have guns.  Obviously in a different country there are different laws and definitions of what constitutes a crime. 

Grown men should know better than to get so intoxicated that they vandalize a place.  I don't have a whole lot of sympathy for them. 

But is it a crime in Brazil? Doesn't matter if it's a crime where you are a citizen. What matters is the law where the incident took place. It'll be interesting to see what the laws are there. I find that all too often, people end up rather surprised that they will be held accountable by the laws in foreign countries........

True and true, but I haven't actually seen any evidence of their vandalization.

Once on a trip to Mexico, as we were heading to the airport, we got pulled over. The officer took my husband's license and said there was a problem with it. Something that he needed to investigate back at the station. He knew we were on our way to the airport. He knew we would miss the flight. He offered that instead we could pay him $100 and he would just let us go.

Maybe we were breaking a crime in Mexico? That's just they way they handle things there?

I'm not saying that these guys did nothing wrong. I'm saying that I haven't seen any evidence of the vandalism. What exactly was damaged (and frankly, I would not trust the severity of that to not be fabricated at this point).  I am also saying if I was pulled out of a car at gunpoint and forced to hand over money, whether that's legal in the country or not, I would feel like a crime had been committed against me and I would report it as such.

I do not trust what the Brazilian government is putting out there.

• Like 2

In some parts of the world, private security have lots of authority. It doesn't make the security officials criminals. Just like gated housing complexes in the US can hire armed security personnel who can draw weapons on people who are committing a crime. 

What if:

The swimmers had vandalized the place & were trying to leave without paying for damages or taking any responsibility. 

Security gets involved. Has to pull guns because the swimmers are not listening to them.

Swimmers start waving wallets around trying to bribe their way out of it. 

How would that security video look? 

I can tell you what it wouldn't look like. It wouldn't look like a valid reason to detain 3 American citizens from returning home.

security in the US doesnt have guns?  Really?  Guns are kind of like our thing

Lawsuits are the great balancer. DH worked in the security field for a long, long time. Overwhelmingly, non law enforcement do not carry guns. If they do, they're only for personal protection, not to force people to do what you want them to.

Is it really so hard to believe that that "security" pulled a gun on them and demanded money? Yes, if they vandalized the bathroom, they should pay for it, but getting a gun pulled on you is a whole new crime. What I see in the video definitely does not disprove that they had a gun pulled on them. If anything, I'm more convinced. People don't make those kinds of hands up gestures without being threatened. 

I wonder if we are too focused on trying to figure out which side is completely, 100% exactly what happened, and which side is 100% deceitful, fabricating from whole cloth.  What if the real story is somewhat in the middle?

For example, I could completely imagine drunken swimmers accidentally breaking fixtures in the bathroom, and not thinking too much of it, or even noticing it, due to inebriation.  (Doesn't make it right, of course).  Then, out of the blue, to them, the gas station security guards, carrying guns, and maybe kind of looking like police officers, start yelling at them in Portuguese. I'm sure none of the swimmers speak Portuguese.  The guards want them to pay for the damages (and how do they know how much the damages are, by the way?)  The English speaking swimmers finally understand only that these guards want money, and hand it over, feeling like they've been robbed.

• Like 10

I can tell you what it wouldn't look like. It wouldn't look like a valid reason to detain 3 American citizens from returning home.

Brazil is pissed. This country has had a black eye from the moment it was selected and for the most part they have done a very good job pulling these games off in an adverse economic and political situation. For these jerks to make up this story to cover their own butts is wrong. So wrong.

You really don't want to defend Lochte. Really. He's an obnoxious jerk.

• Like 8

security in the US doesnt have guns?  Really?  Guns are kind of like our thing

Many security guards carry guns. From the Houston Chronicle:

Small Arms Survey, a main source of worldwide information regarding small arms, reported in 2012 that police in the United States are armed at a rate of 1.5 firearms for every officer. For security guards, the rate is 1.3 firearms per officer. Firearms, handcuffs, flashlights, short-range radios and duty belts are typically the most important equipment for security officers. Security officers in America carry various types of guns.

It's interesting which way initial gut reactions go. I think some people are inclined to think the worst of a foreign country; I am inclined to think the worst of a US male elite swimmer.

Well, just for the record, I am not naturally inclined to think the worst of foreign countries, or to automatically think the best of someone just because he is an American....I formed my opinions based on what I know to be true of Brazil, after living there as a foreigner for six years (including a few relatively routine and benign interactions with different branches of the police and govt there). Based on what I experienced, none of it seemed implausible to me, at all.

It wasn't a conclusion I just jumped to, even though I did end up wrong about it (and am reassured by that, honestly; my husband still travels to Brazil relatively often).

• Like 2

Don't know if anyone ever watched Lochte's reality show when it was on, but it is clear he just isn't the brightest ;)  Billy Bush on the Today Show this morning, before all the new information had been released,  basically said that Locate isn't smart enough to have made up the elaborate story.  I about spit my drink out.  

• Like 8

Don't know if anyone ever watched Lochte's reality show when it was on, but it is clear he just isn't the brightest ;)  Billy Bush on the Today Show this morning, before all the new information had been released,  basically said that Locate isn't smart enough to have made up the elaborate story.  I about spit my drink out.  

That was the best thing Billy Bush has ever said! I can't believed he burned Lochte like that on TV...not that Lochte didn't deserve it, but I was still shocked (and amused!).

• Like 2

True and true, but I haven't actually seen any evidence of their vandalization.

Once on a trip to Mexico, as we were heading to the airport, we got pulled over. The officer took my husband's license and said there was a problem with it. Something that he needed to investigate back at the station. He knew we were on our way to the airport. He knew we would miss the flight. He offered that instead we could pay him $100 and he would just let us go.

Maybe we were breaking a crime in Mexico? That's just they way they handle things there?

I'm not saying that these guys did nothing wrong. I'm saying that I haven't seen any evidence of the vandalism. What exactly was damaged (and frankly, I would not trust the severity of that to not be fabricated at this point).  I am also saying if I was pulled out of a car at gunpoint and forced to hand over money, whether that's legal in the country or not, I would feel like a crime had been committed against me and I would report it as such.

I do not trust what the Brazilian government is putting out there.

The swimmers have legal counsel as well as the support and negotiating skills of the US consulate and the US Olympic Committee.  They don't need arm-chair quarterbacks on the internet to defend them or to find the "real truth".  Of course there is the possibility of bribes and corruption on the Brazilian side as well as honor and outrage from the Brazilians.  And there is the possibility of vandalism and entitlement on the American side as well as fear and victimization for the Americans. 

I am following the news on this.  I think it is interesting how even on this thread you see people jumping into defensive or offensive modes on this without having access to all the facts.  And honestly, the Brazilian police don't owe us all the security footage so that we can make up our own minds. 

• Like 3

To say that I'm not a fan of Ryan Lochte would be an understatement.  But I am entitled to an opinion even if it isn't worth much.  

From everything I've heard & read, it seems like something happened at that gas station - vandalism of some sort - and entitled olympian athletes thought they could do whatever they want and then leave without any consequences.  It also seems to me that the Brazilian security guard (if that's who it was) and now the Brazilian police are doing things that IMO are not ethical.  They may be well within the laws of their country so the athletes could be really screwed, but I don't think it's right.  

• Like 1

Many Americans travel to other countries, in Europe, in Asia, and here in South America, and they are extremely surprised, if they get into trouble, that the legal system does not coddle them, as it would do if they did the same thing in the USA. That is especially true with drug offenses.

I doubt that these swimmers went to Brazil intending to get into trouble. But, after their competitions were over, they got into trouble.

God knows there is a horrendous crime problem in Rio and that tourists, in any place in the world, are an incredibly attractive targets for criminals, but as I write this, it looks like they did something wrong.

One of them escaped from Brazil and if he is smart, he will never leave the USA again. The others may be learning Portuguese in a jail or prison in Brazil, for the next few years. If those 3 are very lucky, they will be allowed to apologize and pay for whatever damage they did, and be allowed to leave Brazil. I suspect the Brazilian government would also like to end this international incident, ASAP.

These 3 swimmers are very high profile and IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m sure the ACS (American Citizens Services) section of the U.S. Embassy in Brazil is doing whatever they can to help them obtain attorneys, etc.

If someone is robbed, here in Colombia, the first thing that would be taken is the cell phone. The next thing is the money. If they had their cell phones, or wallets, after being robbed, it is highly unlikely they were robbed.

If they destroyed a gas station bathroom, I have no idea what their motivation for that was and they will need to explain it to a Judge.

Their best hope is that they will be deported from Brazil, like the Judo athlete from Egypt, because Brazil would like to end this international incident.  

• Like 1

I'm sort of surprised at the number of posters who seem to think that people who have damaged something should be allowed to go along their merry way, likely never to be seen again, leaving the business to pick up the cost of restoration.  If you're wasted, and you break stuff, you should expect to pay for it, yes?

This all blew up because Ryan did not tell his mother the truth.

• Like 6

So, basically, they would have gotten away with it if Lochte hadn't lied to his mother for no apparent reason. And then Lochte got away and the rest of them, who didn't bother lying to their mothers, are stuck facing all the heat.

ETA: If this weren't an international incident based around what's increasingly looking like a real crime, it would totally be every stupid high school drama that got you in trouble with your parents. You know? Like, why did we have to go get drunk with Ryan. Everyone knows he's too stupid to keep his mouth shut and now we're all grounded until the end of time.

Edited by Farrar
  • Like 18

The swimmers have legal counsel as well as the support and negotiating skills of the US consulate and the US Olympic Committee.  They don't need arm-chair quarterbacks on the internet to defend them or to find the "real truth".  Of course there is the possibility of bribes and corruption on the Brazilian side as well as honor and outrage from the Brazilians.  And there is the possibility of vandalism and entitlement on the American side as well as fear and victimization for the Americans. 

I am following the news on this.  I think it is interesting how even on this thread you see people jumping into defensive or offensive modes on this without having access to all the facts.  And honestly, the Brazilian police don't owe us all the security footage so that we can make up our own minds. 

I find this to be such an odd response, honestly. Aren't we all just observing the situation and giving our opinion? Isn't that what any current events thread on this board is about? You've given your opinion, I've given mine. None of us have all the facts. I am merely reacting to the information that has been provided and participating in a conversation about it. 

• Like 4

Brazil is pissed. This country has had a black eye from the moment it was selected and for the most part they have done a very good job pulling these games off in an adverse economic and political situation. For these jerks to make up this story to cover their own butts is wrong. So wrong.

You really don't want to defend Lochte. Really. He's an obnoxious jerk.

I actually really dislike him and always have. I'm not really about defending him as an individual so much as not jumping on the bandwagon that Brazil is handling this with integrity and there wasn't any truth in what was reported.

• Like 3

So, basically, they would have gotten away with it if Lochte hadn't lied to his mother for no apparent reason. And then Lochte got away and the rest of them, who didn't bother lying to their mothers, are stuck facing all the heat.

ETA: If this weren't an international incident based around what's increasingly looking like a real crime, it would totally be every stupid high school drama that got you in trouble with your parents. You know? Like, why did we have to go get drunk with Ryan. Everyone knows he's too stupid to keep his mouth shut and now we're all grounded until the end of time.

I told my dd15 today that those 3 swimmers learned a lesson "Never go drinking with Ryan Lochte".  My word! What a mess!

Kelly

• Like 6

I'm sort of surprised at the number of posters who seem to think that people who have damaged something should be allowed to go along their merry way, likely never to be seen again, leaving the business to pick up the cost of restoration.  If you're wasted, and you break stuff, you should expect to pay for it, yes?

I just find this bizarre. The man is 32! What the heck?! Did he even need to discuss this with his mother? Not that I'm condoning lying, BUT... if you are going to lie don't bring attention to it by telling your mom!

Kelly

Edited by SquirrellyMama
  • Like 2

I haven't read anything that says they shouldn't have had to pay for damages. I may have missed it up thread, but that's certainly not at all what I have posted.

• Like 4

I wanted to see if I could find out what the vandalism specifically was. This article is pretty complete, including the nature of the damage (broken bathroom door) and the confirmation that a security guard did pull a gun on them- http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/19/sports/olympics/police-say-ryan-lochte-lied-about-gunpoint-assault.html

Wow, no one in history has ever gotten drunk and broken a bathroom door. Only entitled, elitist, American thugs do that. They definitely deserved to have a gun drawn on them, and to get their passports taken, and to get pulled off their planes home. Totally.

Edited by Sassenach
  • Like 2

I don't care who you are, that's funny.

• Like 5

Been driving all day. Just looked at one video. I can't tell what it is showing. However, drunk and brawling sounds like Lochte.

It sounds like the gas station never reported a crime the swimmers never reported anything to police. This stuff ended up in the news cycle because a reporter was looking for anything-- the swimmers didn't go to reporters or the police.

One of the things that bothers me is the police seemingly waiting to follow up when they heard about it. Waiting 48 hours to say someone shouldn't leave the country because they wanted for questioning sounds like a slow response.

I don't think Lochte will lose the endorsements he has. He was not known as wholesome to begin with, so that's not what his image is selling. The lesser known swimmers have a lot more to lose because they have reduced their potential to obtain endorsements.

It sounds like the gas station never reported a crime the swimmers never reported anything to police. This stuff ended up in the news cycle because a reporter was looking for anything-- the swimmers didn't go to reporters or the police.

Ryan told (lied to) his mom, his mom told a reporter, the reporter asked questions of officials, Olympic officials denied it (as they didn't know yet), more questions, more lies, no doubt the police were asked somewhere along the way (or saw the reports themselves and followed up).  The reporter wasn't "looking for anything", so much as following up on what Ryan's mother had said to reporters - what she had heard from Ryan himself.  Lesson learned = Don't ever lie to Mama.

ETA:  Or, as the poster below mentioned, he told (lied to his girlfriend), etc.  Lesson II:  Don't lie to your girlfriend.

OR, generally speaking, Don't lie.

Edited by justasque
  • Like 3

I just find this bizarre. The man is 32! What the heck?! Did he even need to discuss this with his mother? Not that I'm condoning lying, BUT... if you are going to lie don't bring attention to it by telling your mom!

Kelly

One of the articles I read said that he originally told the story to his girlfriend (who is there in Rio), and she told his mom, who then told the world. The whole crazy story makes a lot more sense if it was originally meant to be a cover story to deflect any anger about him being out partying all night without her, not to mention impressing her with what a cool, macho guy he is (initially refusing to get down on the ground, and then saying "whatever" when the guy put a loaded gun to his forehead). It probably never occurred to him that the girlfriend would tell his mother, who would then tell the world, and the whole thing would snowball into this big international incident involving the police and the three other guys who were with him. 

• Like 7

Ryan told (lied to) his mom, his mom told a reporter, the reporter asked questions of officials, Olympic officials denied it (as they didn't know yet), more questions, more lies, no doubt the police were asked somewhere along the way (or saw the reports themselves and followed up). The reporter wasn't "looking for anything", so much as following up on what Ryan's mother had said to reporters - what she had heard from Ryan himself. Lesson learned = Don't ever lie to Mama.

ETA: Or, as the poster below mentioned, he told (lied to his girlfriend), etc. Lesson II: Don't lie to your girlfriend.

OR, generally speaking, Don't lie.

My point was he didn't seek out a reporter.

Now if at 32 he doesn't know not to lie or who he can lie to then he's just as stupid as I thought he was.

• Like 4