Menu

Cake! Update: resolved post #33

luuknam

63 members have voted

1. 1. Read first post. What would you do?

• Same cake, because it's his birthday
    • Other cake, because that's too soon to repeat the same cake
    • We never eat cake
    • Other

So, my birthday and my son's birthday are only a couple of weeks apart. I ordered a Lemon Chantilly cake for my birthday, and my son turned out to love it, and wants it for his birthday too (but without the coconut on the outside edge). I just really don't want to have the exact same cake again in just two weeks, and neither does my wife nor my other son (my wife didn't really like the cake to begin with, but she's not a big fan of cakes anyhow). I don't want to order a $37 cake and then toss half of it because it's too much for the birthday kid and the rest of us are kind of "meh, we just had that cake" about it (for anyone wondering, that's the small version, so it's not like I can order a smaller version).

Edited by luuknam

I voted I'd do the same cake.

However, some explanation. Growing up, there was one option for birthday dessert: chocolate cake, chocolate frosting, and vanilla ice cream. It's just what we had. Asking for something different wouldn't have occurred to us. (I am sure that if one of us hadn't liked it, my mom would have done something else for that person.)

It just happens that my birthday and my dad's are within days of each other. Yes, it was a lot of cake. But my sisters and I thought it was great.

All of that being said, I can't imagine spending that much on a cake. I grew up with homemade cake and frosting, which costs nowhere near that. The cost aside (because clearly that's not an issue for you), I'd definitely go with the birthday person's wishes.

That's why we are having a chocolate cake, yellow frosting, with the Batman logo for an upcoming birthday around here. Not my birthday, not my choice.

• Like 2

We akways got cakes from one of the best bakeries in the area. My bff often got a rum cake for her birthday. It was her mom's favorite cake. My bff never really liked rum cake all that much at all. And her mom knew that.

We are in our mid 40's and it is still an issue how her mom always got the cake the mom wanted not what she wanted. And it was not like this was a special treat. We were in that bakery weekly fir breads, coffee cakes, cookies, you name it. She could get rum cake anythime.

His birthday his cake.

• Like 2

I voted I'd do the same cake.

However, some explanation. Growing up, there was one option for birthday dessert: chocolate cake, chocolate frosting, and vanilla ice cream. It's just what we had. Asking for something different wouldn't have occurred to us. (I am sure that if one of us hadn't liked it, my mom would have done something else for that person.)

It just happens that my birthday and my dad's are within days of each other. Yes, it was a lot of cake. But my sisters and I thought it was great.

All of that being said, I can't imagine spending that much on a cake. I grew up with homemade cake and frosting, which costs nowhere near that. The cost aside (because clearly that's not an issue for you), I'd definitely go with the birthday person's wishes.

That's why we are having a chocolate cake, yellow frosting, with the Batman logo for an upcoming birthday around here. Not my birthday, not my choice.

I'd bake a cake, except our oven is broken, and while our toaster oven is pretty amazing, I don't think I could successfully bake a cake in there. And I'm okay with $37 for a cake because I'd rather have a yummy cake on my birthday than a cheaper cake I don't really like (Walmart cakes are kind of gross in my opinion). But, the idea is that everybody enjoys the cake, not only the birthday person. For example, I didn't pick the orange creamsicle cheesecake for my birthday because I know my wife wouldn't like it and I wasn't sure about the kids, and I didn't want to end up being the only person eating a $40 cheesecake, kwim?

Birthday person gets their pick of cakes!

For E's birthday last year she wanted me to make a triple lemon cake: lemon cake, lemon buttercream frosting, and lemon curd filling. She and the grown ups loved it (and the kids who normally don't like cake liked it), but a lot of the kids found it too lemon-y for them. I knew that was going to happen and had told her, but her birthday, her cake. 

And to the poster who said homemade cakes don't cost that much, the price of cakes is relative. If I'm making a box mix with can frosting, then it's super cheap, but our birthday cakes are made with cake flour, (a lot of) high quality butter, fresh fruit usually free-range eggs, etc. And now my family is starting to ask for ganache, fondant decorations, we're making modeling chocolate, etc, so our homemade cakes are easily $40. We enjoy coming up with the flavors and design every year; it's become a family tradition.

BUT - cake freezes very well. If you guys only eat half the cake, wrap it in saran wrap really well and put it in the freezer for a while.

Edited by Sk8ermaiden
  • Like 1

Find out if they make a cupcake version. He can have six cupcakes that are all his.

I could ask that, I guess. I suggested earlier to him that maybe I could buy him a piece of Lemon Chantilly (when I went to pick mine up they had two in their display, and I think I've seen it most of the time I've been there), but if we only got a piece then it'd come with the coconut on the edge (I don't think I could special order only one or two pieces of Lemon Chantilly without coconut). He said yes to the idea, until I mentioned it'd have the coconut, at which point he said no.

But, the idea is that everybody enjoys the cake, not only the birthday person. For example, I didn't pick the orange creamsicle cheesecake for my birthday because I know my wife wouldn't like it and I wasn't sure about the kids, and I didn't want to end up being the only person eating a $40 cheesecake, kwim?

Yes, but you are an adult in that scenario and can make that decision knowing you will already enjoy whatever else you choose. But for a kid who is very excited about something, they will remember the disappointment of not getting that thing on their special day. So it can potentially ruin the deliciousness of the second choice that everyone will enjoy. I just don't think a kid's birthday is the time to make everyone else happy.

If no one else wants the cake freeze the leftovers in individual pieces and you son can eat it over the next few weeks.

• Like 10

How small is small? We have four birthdays in less than four weeks. So we choose something that equals four servings. My fridge is too small for two leftovers 10" cake. My kids love cakes but they aren't crazy over birthday cakes. Their birthdays are four days apart and they do not want the same cake unless it is cheesecake.

Yep, birthday person gets to choose. And cake freezes beautifully. There was one year where I made a fancy chocolate tuxedo cake 3 times because everyone wanted it. Turns out to be not that big a deal to keep eating the same cake! Especially if it's good.

I'm in the "get the kid his choice of birthday cake" camp.  This is the kind of thing that can make a good or bad memory for a kid. 

Freeze the rest, give it away, or whatever.  But, his birthday, his choice of cake.   So what that the rest of you are "meh" about it?

(And next year, try to choose something for your birthday that you think he won't like as well. :-) )

ETA: I've said this here before: my daughter asks for the giant Costco chocolate cake every year. That is one huge cake.  We eat it that day and the next, then I freeze reasonably-sized wedges for random cake nights for the next few months.  It is wonderful to have cake in the freezer for  nights cake is needed.  Maybe you should pick up some cake that everyone likes and cut individual slices to freeze, so every now and then, everyone gets cake they love.  

Edited by marbel
  • Like 3

Yes, but you are an adult in that scenario and can make that decision knowing you will already enjoy whatever else you choose. But for a kid who is very excited about something, they will remember the disappointment of not getting that thing on their special day. So it can potentially ruin the deliciousness of the second choice that everyone will enjoy. I just don't think a kid's birthday is the time to make everyone else happy.

If no one else wants the cake freeze the leftovers in individual pieces and you son can eat it over the next few weeks.

You're right, I guess. Which is also the case if I were to try to create a cupcake Lemon Chantilly in my toaster oven - it wouldn't be the same cake, and potentially a huge disappointment.

How small is small? We have four birthdays in less than four weeks. So we choose something that equals four servings. My fridge is too small for two leftovers 10" cake. My kids love cakes but they aren't crazy over birthday cakes. Their birthdays are four days apart and they do not want the same cake unless it is cheesecake.

http://www.dessertdelibakery.com/catalog/p-100021/lemon-chantilly-cake

Small serves 8-10. I'm estimating the diameter was something like 8" or 8.5", but it was really high, like at least 4".

We akways got cakes from one of the best bakeries in the area. My bff often got a rum cake for her birthday. It was her mom's favorite cake. My bff never really liked rum cake all that much at all. And her mom knew that.

To be clear, I wasn't trying to push a figurative rum cake on him. Just anything other than the exact same cake.

• Like 1

It is part of our tradition that birthday person gets to choose dinner and dessert so around here the answer is simple. If choosing is part of *your* tradition then birthday kid gets to choose.

I guarantee that an actual bakery would work with you to make a special cake just for your son. Then you can get something else for the rest of you.

The bakery should be up for creating something cohesive with the small birthday cake in the center surrounded by coordinating mini cupcakes or cookies or petit fours etc.

Really, go to the bakery *expecting* them to work with you!

• Like 2

To be clear, I wasn't trying to push a figurative rum cake on him. Just anything other than the exact same cake.

My point was, 30 years later, she remembers it as 'we ate the cake my mom wanted no matter who's birthday or their lijes qnd dislikes.' These things stay with you. It is one of many issues they have. But it is what she remembers about her childhood birthdays.

• Like 2

So, I told him that he could have the Lemon Chantilly, and that we'd just freeze any leftovers of the cake, but that I would like him through the list of cakes just in case he liked something else better. And he pointed at every chocolate cake in the list, and then decided on the Chocolate Extreme. I asked him if he was sure, or if he wanted the Lemon Chantilly, and he was like "Chocolate Extreme!". Okay then. I think he just needed to know I was willing to give him what he wanted (I'd asked him to look at the list of possible cakes earlier, and he didn't want to look, but that's when I'd said I thought it was kind of soon to do Lemon Chantilly again).

http://www.dessertdelibakery.com/catalog/p-100029/chocolate-extreme-cake

• Like 14

Oh, and I just asked him what he wanted written on the cake. I suggested "Happy Birthday Celery", a big number 9, "Happy 9th Birthday", etc, and he's like "10th! It's my 10th birthday, remember the day I was born?". Um, okay then. So, he settled on "Happy 10th Birthday Celery!".

ETA: I had "100000" on my cake, because it's 32 in binary, so you can guess who he gets that from.

Edited by luuknam
  • Like 2

Oh, and I just asked him what he wanted written on the cake. I suggested "Happy Birthday Celery", a big number 9, "Happy 9th Birthday", etc, and he's like "10th! It's my 10th birthday, remember the day I was born?". Um, okay then. So, he settled on "Happy 10th Birthday Celery!".

ETA: I had "100000" on my cake, because it's 32 in binary, so you can guess who he gets that from.

Neat! We were having this conversation this weekend as well (For my own August 2007 boy who is also going into 4th grade this year). He wants brownies! (YAY! He had earlier said he wanted a Hummingbird Cake and I really don't have the energy for that this week!)

Edited by vonfirmath
  • Like 1

I have two sons with birthdays 7 days apart.  They both wanted the same cookie cake, so we had the same cake one week apart.  I am glad that he got to pick.  Bonus that he picked something that looks really amazing!

And I just heard him rambling on and on about the chocolate extreme cake to his little brother, so he's definitely excited about it. :)

• Like 2

So, I told him that he could have the Lemon Chantilly, and that we'd just freeze any leftovers of the cake, but that I would like him through the list of cakes just in case he liked something else better. And he pointed at every chocolate cake in the list, and then decided on the Chocolate Extreme. I asked him if he was sure, or if he wanted the Lemon Chantilly, and he was like "Chocolate Extreme!". Okay then. I think he just needed to know I was willing to give him what he wanted (I'd asked him to look at the list of possible cakes earlier, and he didn't want to look, but that's when I'd said I thought it was kind of soon to do Lemon Chantilly again).

http://www.dessertdelibakery.com/catalog/p-100029/chocolate-extreme-cake

If there's any of your cake left maybe you can freeze one slice for him. He could still get the Chocolate Extreme but have a slice of lemon waiting as well.

• Like 2

If it were me, I would order his chocolate cake and the lemon cake and then freeze what no one eats that day.  Because cake emergencies are real, and you should always be prepared.  :D

I hear you, but we can afford a ~$40 cake because our rent is only $550/month, not because we're rich. Maybe I should retroactively get a new oven for my birthday (the old one is too cheap to pay someone to fix it, but if we're buying a new one we want a nice one and not a cheap one). Then and again, I was sort of planning on replacing my Note 2 with the Note 7 which is supposed to be released tomorrow (or another phone if I don't like the Note 7 specs). Nobody got me a present yesterday, so it looks like I get to give myself a belated birthday present.

• Like 2