Menu

Do you look over your shoulder when reversing your car?

Laura Corin

I took the test in a hilly town & some examiners make you reverse parallel park while you're uphill. Imagine taking that test in a car with a stick shift LOL

I did took the test back in the early 90s in similar conditions in Singapore using a manual Daihatsu Charade 1.0L hatchback.

That is why hubby could drive and park easily in San Francisco with steep slopes and curvy roads when we first moved to California.

No. I drive a 15 pax van, and you can't see anything anyhow. I use all my mirrors and my back-up camera.

Yes, I have zero visibility out my back doors and mirror, so I use the side mirrors and backup camera. I always looked over my shoulder prior to this vehicle though.

I may glance back there but that is it. I use my side mirrors generally. I back into our driveway EVERY day. It makes it easier to get out.

I learned to drive in a Chevy 150 (however it is termed) pickup truck  and a Toyota Celica Convertible (in other words you can't see out the back window) in Washington State by a man from Louisiana (Dad #2, may have him teach my children too). I currently drive a Honda Odyssey.

I honestly think it's silly that you have to parallel park to get your license in many places. I mean, that's a skill not everyone needs. My mother still gets out of the car and makes me park if the need arises.

I think you answered your own question, haha. Everyone apparently does need it, or a proxy for it!

I personally think it's a skill everyone needs. If you don't know how to maneuver your car and you don't know where your corners are, you shouldn't be driving!

• Like 1

Not here. And not in NC where I learned to drive either. Just park forward in a parking spot. No curb parking, no parallel parking, no reverse. Nothing hard.

Our test has no parallel parking but it does include pulling into an alley and backing up 40- 50 feet back into the road, looking behind the whole way- no mirrors.  

I think you answered your own question, haha. Everyone apparently does need it, or a proxy for it!

I personally think it's a skill everyone needs. If you don't know how to maneuver your car and you don't know where your corners are, you shouldn't be driving!

But she wouldn't have to if I didn't live in the city. She'd just park in a deck or not drive. I'm the stubborn one who's like, meh, I'll park you and we can find a space. I literally never parallel parked until I was in my mid-20's and moved to a city.

Just curious as there are different habits in this household, which may be based on where we learned to drive.

I learned to drive in Florida (early 1980's) and was taught to do a shoulder check first, then use rear-view mirror and side mirrors to manoeuvre.  I now drive a car with a back-up camera, but I still shoulder check and mirror check first -- largely out of habit.

I can't see out of my back windows by looking over my shoulder.  I have arthritis and my neck only moves so far.  Also, I'm short, so I can't really see out of the back windows anyway.

I do use all of my mirrors.  Depending on where I am, I will even tilt the mirrors up and down, back and forth, and look from different angles to make sure that I have seen as much as possible.

If the kids are with me, I ask whoever is in the back seat to help.

I do initially, before I start driving, looking for toys, children, whatever. I try to scan the whole thing. Then, when I start driving I use my mirrors. Dh has a back up camera. I hate that thing.

Edited by KrissiK

I could easily go without ever having to parallel park.  I may have to walk an extra 100 feet or pay for parking, but parallel parking is not an essential skill.  I've driven and parked in NYC, Philadelphia, DC, and suburban areas. 

The one local towns main street (that I rarely go to but may once or twice a year) has a few lots but mostly parallel spaces.  That street has frequent side streets so fully 1/3 of the spots you have more than an entire street width to pull forward or back into a space.   I'm not sure that counts as "parallel parking".

For the record, I can parallel park but usually won't.  I also usually park far enough away to pull through regular spots.

Yes. I have a back-up cam, but always look over my shoulder when backing up. I think it is just a good habit. I have a better understanding and ability to parallel park now that I am older. I have impressed myself with parallel parking my van several times over the last few years, although I need a parking space with a bit of clearance. :tongue_smilie: