Menu

Fourth of July dessert ideas

Ali in OR

Because in our house major holidays must have desserts! We're trying to not eat sweets on a daily basis, but have good desserts on an occasional basis. Anyway, I have ideas going through my head but nothing is clicking as "the one" yet. I'll list what I've thought of, but please chime in with what you're thinking of making. Oh, and ours is just for our family--the four of us who eat desserts. Would be nice to not have too much leftover!

Brownies a la mode (brownies just seem all-American. The ice cream could be homemade)

That sheet cake you decorate with strawberries and blueberries to look like an American flag. (but we have a birthday w/cake next week)

Blueberries jubilee (vanilla ice cream with a stovetop blueberry sauce--you add a little brandy and flambe it at the end)

Star-shaped sugar cookies (Christmas cookie recipe)

Ice cream sundaes--homemade hot fudge sauce, possibly homemade ice cream and whipping cream

Berry pie--but we have too many people here who aren't berry pie people

I made a fruit dip the other day that I think would make one of the holiday cakes good, but less indulgent.   regular container of cool whip, large box vanilla pudding, 32oz vanilla yogurt.  Mix, let sit a bit, then mix again.  It was thick.  My thinking was make a yellow cake(13x9), frost with the fruit dip, and cover with the berries in flag style.  Still sweet, but fruit dip has to be healthier than a frosting right?? 

the other thing I want to try this holiday is grilled pineapple.  

I think the star shaped decorated cookies would be fun.  

We are stuck at home this weekend. Dh is on call and can't be far from his computer/internet.  So we don't need a ton of sweet stuff either...

• Like 1

I'm making Cherry Delight (short bread crust, cool whip/cream cheese middle, cherry pie filling on top).  I'm adding a blueberry layer, though, to make it more "July 4th-y". :D  The recipe I have makes a 9x9 dish, so not too much for 4. :)

Edited by alisoncooks
  • Like 1

Well, if involving kids making it......this is a favorite.... Sugar Cookies decorated like watermelons.  I only do if I have kid help.

Make or Buy Sugar cookie dough, and use red food dye to color it pink.

Roll and cut into circles, using enough flour to not stick. (we just use random cups to make the circles)

Cook as directed in oven..

While cookies are hot, use chocolate chips to make seeds.

Let cool.

When cool enough, cut in half and dunk the edges into green icing to make the rinds.

They are super cute "watermelon cookies"  They take time, but are pretty easy for kids to help out.  

• Like 1

A few years ago my dad this one and my kids talk about it still:

sugar cone + whipped cream + layers of strawberries and blueberries

It isn't too sweet, easy to make the right amount, makes fruit seem fun and festive, and it nice a patriotic!

• Like 2

We almost always have strawberry shortcake. Homemade biscuits (slightly sweetened), fresh strawberries and whipped cream. Yum! 

Mmmm!!! I hadn't thought of this one! 

I'll be baking a pineapple upside-down cake in an iron skillet. I was going to make Martha Stewart's cream cheese filled strawberries as well... but I think strawberry shortcakes would be better. 

• Like 1

Whatever you do...no sparklers!

When I was a teen I spent a ton of time making a flag cake complete with sparklers like in movies etc. The sparklers left an icky dusting of questionable soot on my cake. :(

To this day when I see sparklers on cake in movies or TV shows I think "LIARS!!" ;)

• Like 3

When I was a teen I spent a ton of time making a flag cake complete with sparklers like in movies etc. The sparklers left an icky dusting of questionable soot on my cake. :(

To this day when I see sparklers on cake in movies or TV shows I think "LIARS!!" ;)

I've used sparkler candles before on a birthday cake, and it left no soot. 

Never occurred to me to use regular sparklers :)

• Like 2

That's funny! In an unfortunate way...  ;)

It reminds me of the time I baked a cake for my mom's birthday and one of her little sisters told me that their mom used to put coins in the cake wrapped in tinfoil. The night of the party mom bit into the cake and was shocked to hit miserable aluminum! She said "No, Roberta, mom never  did that. I don't know what you're talking about." All the sisters agreed! Haha!! We laughed so much that night!

• Like 2

Mmmm!!! I hadn't thought of this one! 

I'll be baking a pineapple upside-down cake in an iron skillet. I was going to make Martha Stewart's cream cheese filled strawberries as well... but I think strawberry shortcakes would be better. 

I once made a berry upside-down cake with raspberries, blackberries, and blueberries. I loved it and I think it would be great for the fourth except that one kid wouldn't eat it because of the berries. She won't eat blueberries at all and isn't super crazy about the others either. Crazy child.

Rice Krispy treats with red, white, blue sprinkles

Cupcakes with pop rocks sprinkled on top right before eating

Flag cake with berries

Strawberry and blueberry shortcake (can sprinkle pop rocks on the whipped cream)

Now this is more like what my picky eater will eat--the first two at least!

• Like 1

My kids are locked into a tradition of having the iconic Jello poke cake.

White cake, raspberry jello, fresh whipped cream topping. If I made another dessert, it would have to be an additional one.  I would be in big trouble if I tried to change it up now. 

• Like 2

I love your blog and this recipe! Stupid Question of the day: where do you find lemon curd and lady fingers. Pretty sure Walmart doesn't sell either. :)

Thanks!

Alley

Hi Alley,

​Thanks for checking out the blog I just started a few months ago. It is a lot of work but I am really enjoying it! I don't know if walmart has them but they might! I found them at a grocery store in town. If all else fails Amazon does sell both or if you have a World Market in your area at all I know the lemon curd is there. Hope this helps :)

I love your blog and this recipe! Stupid Question of the day: where do you find lemon curd and lady fingers. Pretty sure Walmart doesn't sell either. :)

Thanks!

Alley

Trader Joe's lemon curd is really good. It's in the jelly/jam area. Publix carries it too, and they sometimes have fresh ladyfingers in the bakery.