Menu

s/o alternates to the mom cut

Bluegoat

So - if a mom wants a hair cut that is not that difficult to maintain, and looks like she cares, what are the other options?

Right now I have fairly long hair, in a kind of hippy style.  I need to get a cut of some kind though, as I've stopped dying it and I want to get rid of the two-tone look, even if I let it grouw out again eventually.  I'd also like something that can look a little more polished - I'm less "hippy" these days and more "urban" and I don't find the hippy hair quite works.

I gave up on short hair. It's more work, and hot.

It would have to be Uber short to be worthwhile. I don't like Uber short for my fast growing hair.

I wear it up or French braid.

Edited by gardenmom5
  • Like 1

I went from a long, hippy style (usually pulled back in a clip or french braid) to a shoulder length bob.  It looks so much better, and I can still pull it back when I'm gardening.

I had a short pixie, and it was just way too much upkeep for me.  

• Like 1

I've had a super short pixie. It was a lot of work.

I grew it out. Now I have relatively long hair in layers. I have bangs. If I don't have bangs, I look harsh, plus the long hair that frames my face gets in my eyes constantly and I hate it. So...bangs for me.

Most of my friends have shoulder-length to mid-back length hair. Some with layers, some not. Some with layers that frame the face, some without face framing layers, some with bangs, etc. My friends are in their mid-thirties to mid-fifties.

• Like 2

Yes, I've found pixi cuts a lot of work too.  I'm not sure they are great for my features either.

As far as I can see a mom cut is a sort of inverted bob, with more or less length and some kind of layering at the back. 

I find regular bobs tend to look like a triangle head on me though, because my hair tends to be wavy, and not that heavy at that length.

I'm probably not the best person to ask for advice, but I let mine go through cycles. I get it cut twice a year, shortish, cleaned up, sometimes bangs. I usually just say to the stylist something like, "I am lazy with my hair. I'm only blow drying this if I'm going to a wedding or something fancy. I need something that can be pulled back if need be but mostly looks decent just getting washed and air drying every day." And it usually looks good for a couple of months, okay for the rest and then eventually I'm like, oh, it's been awhile, and I go tell some stylist at the place the same spiel and start all over.

• Like 6

I'm probably not the best person to ask for advice, but I let mine go through cycles. I get it cut twice a year, shortish, cleaned up, sometimes bangs. I usually just say to the stylist something like, "I am lazy with my hair. I'm only blow drying this if I'm going to a wedding or something fancy. I need something that can be pulled back if need be but mostly looks decent just getting washed and air drying every day." And it usually looks good for a couple of months, okay for the rest and then eventually I'm like, oh, it's been awhile, and I go tell some stylist at the place the same spiel and start all over.

I do the same exact thing!

• Like 3

Short hair is more work for me as well.  My hair is very thick and wavy so if it's short I have to dry and straighten it or it sticks out in every direction. When it's long, the weight helps keep it under control.  I usually go for long layers and bangs.  I can do the pulled back ponytail when I'm lazy, loose and wavy to dress it up a little bit, bun/twist/braid/half up-half down or top pulled back if I want more formal.

ETA:  I used to do what Farrar does but recently I started cutting it myself.  I saw some guides for cutting long hair in layers on Pinterest and it actually works!  At least it works if your hair is wavy enough to hide if things aren't perfect. :-)

Edited by Where's Toto?
  • Like 4

I love my new short pixies -- not a long pixie but straight on super super short. All I have to do is put the tiniest bit of product in and maybe hit it with the dryer for a minute or too.

And I went from long straight hair that I never did anything with; the blow dryer seemed to way too much work. But what I do now, while technically "more work" takes minimal time and looks great. I needed way more time to get my long hair looking nice (or to braid it). I often actually get the kids in the car and then run up and fix my hair super fast in order to leave. The kids have usually just finished buckling by then - the time really is tiny.

But it need cut already and now that it is a little longer, it is taking more work now. So I will need to commit to getting it cut often.

My other favorite is the stages of hair styles I get with this cut:

Just washed - do nothing, leave it clean, blow dry after the shower is all to give little volume

Next day / get it damp by wetting my hands and rubbing them in hair, add touch of gel, blow dry for a minute.

Third day (if I don't get a shower first) - it's mostly sticking every which way, just encourage the Prodessor Hooch look to be even (maybe blow some hot air at if if one spot is flat) and out the door.

Edited by xixstar
  • Like 1

I often actually get the kids in the car and then run up and fix my hair super fast in order to leave. The kids have usually just finished buckling by then - the time really is tiny.

I nominate you for Superwoman. You solved the mom cut and the garage time warp in one fell swoop.  ;)

• Like 7

This is almost exactly how I deal with it, except I got lucky the last time and it looked fabulous for the first few months and good since then. I'm always clear that I towel dry and that I have no interest in spending time on my hair. I don't let them blow dry it before I leave, as that's not s good reflection of how it will look on a normal day. The wonder hairdresser convinced me to buy some 'salt' hairspray and it actually did make a difference for getting a tousled-on-purpose look as opposed to a couldn't-be-bothered look!

• Like 3

I nominate you for Superwoman. You solved the mom cut and the garage time warp in one fell swoop.  ;)

The garage time warp is a thing!  Wow, I thought it was just me.

Back on the topic of hair.  IMO it is always best to work with your natural hair texture & color.  So curly hair should aim to look good curly, straight hair straight.   I don't think someone should obligate themselves to straightening or curling their hair every single day.  If you die your hair keep in the general ball park of your natural hair color, so maybe a shade or two darker or lighter or redder or whatever.  That way you don't have stark roots forcing you back into the salon.  

As far as length/style, that seems so personal.  But I prefer at minimum long enough to make a quick pony tail.  My hair has sort of happy lengths.  Really long is good because I can do quick and easy buns & braids.  This works well for me because I have lots of little children who would grab, chew or get unknown mucky stuff in any lose hair.  Also, I know from my pre-mom life that medium length hair works well for me, both down & in a quick pony tail.  I think this would still work for me as a mom (the pony tail).

• Like 3

Mine is a collar-length bob.  I do blow dry it after I wash it, but I don't wash it every day, and on off days I just brush it.  For yoga/gardening I put a clip in it to take it back and off my face.  It works fine.  My face is square and the bob makes it more oval.  I do think regularly about something shorter, just because I live somewhere very windy, but the bob works for now.

I agree with finding a style that you don't have to fight: I came in from the rain the other day and went to brush my hair.  My colleague was envious that that worked for me - she straightens her wavy hair, so rain is a disaster for her (in her eyes) as it spoils her hairstyle.

• Like 1

Mine is very thick. I have tried nearly everything in my 52 years. But I have settled on long and straight. No bangs, no layers. Nothing else is easier, so this is my happy place. I don't forsee changing anymore unless (until?) my hair thins from ageing. But I still dye it. I have tried growing out the color but I looked wretchedly old.

I am a hippie-at-heart who lives in the center of a city. Is urban hippie a thing? Can you be urban hippie? I think that is what I am, lol. Probably not helpful since you want to ditch the color and get a cut-sorry.

Edited by Penguin
  • Like 1

Most of my friends have the " mom" cut. I am 53. I've noticed the 30 year olds' version is the straightened with layers. Hair styles really do seem to be contagious among age groups. I have what I term "Brave" hair. It has a life of it's own. I also had purple tips and now have pink peekaboo highlights you see when I put it up. I just go with it. If it were short it would look like I had been electrocuted.

Edited by joyofsix
  • Like 4

Short hair is more work for me as well.  My hair is very thick and wavy so if it's short I have to dry and straighten it or it sticks out in every direction. When it's long, the weight helps keep it under control.  I usually go for long layers and bangs.  I can do the pulled back ponytail when I'm lazy, loose and wavy to dress it up a little bit, bun/twist/braid/half up-half down or top pulled back if I want more formal.

ETA:  I used to do what Farrar does but recently I started cutting it myself.  I saw some guides for cutting long hair in layers on Pinterest and it actually works!  At least it works if your hair is wavy enough to hide if things aren't perfect. :-)

Can you share a link with those guides that actually work for cutting your hair?  My hair is wavy/curly, and I've yet to find someone who can cut it well.  (The hairdressers where we live know only two styles:  short old lady, long and straight young lady.)  Guide lines would be GREAT.....

TIA,

• Like 1

I have straight super duper thick hair (as in, so thick that I've never not had a hairdresser comment on it, and it always takes 90min-2 hrs to cut, just cut).  I used to keep it just long and trim occasionally, but I found over the years that my super heavy pony tail was giving me a head ache every day by 3.  I can't stand just wearing it down and wild - too much in my face and too hot.  So I settled for an inverted bob.  The front is just below my chin, the back is at my nape.  Lots of layering and lots of razoring to get the thickness down.  I've thought of doing an undercut (you'd have to look it up, I don't think I can explain it) but haven't been brave enough yet.  It's pretty good.  I can blow it out and make it look pretty good, or I can pin back the front layers fully out of my face.

Two things that I've found help:  1. a really good blow dryer....I got an Xtava from Amazon for $35.  This is this sooooooo much better than what's at the store, I wish I'd had it years ago.  It speeds my drying time like a bazillion percent.  2. better quality hair spray that can be brushed out...I use Fruictis.  I can do a blow out and spray it, then brush it out the next day and reset set.  I was my hair about every 3 days, unless I've gotten particularly dirty/sweaty for some reason.

• Like 1

Lots of good ideas - I sometimes feel that my lack of interest in girly things when I was young is a bit of a hindrance.

I agree with all who said - stick to close to natural.  Part of the reason I am growing out the colour is I just can't get to the hairdresser regularly enough to keep it up, and once it went really grey doing it at home was not working so well.  I'm expecting a new baby in the fall and I know it's likely to be even worse as far as getting away.

I did learn a great trick for wavy/curly hair recently, called The Plop.  It actually gives great curls/waves with minimal frizz.  And it's easy.  My curly-haired sister swears by it.

Maybe I will get bangs - that might be what I need to soften up my hair while keeping it long.

I loved my short pixies, but just don't have time to get them cut once a month & my hair grows fast. On a daily basis though- so easy!! Will go back to one when I don't have toddlers who make sneaking out for haircuts difficult.

So, I'm growing one out again, almost to a Bob right now.

My husband would like me to go back to long hippy hair, but I get headaches from the weight or headbands & am just planning to go to my shoulders. Just long enough to pull it up in a ponytail or bun. I like those Lila Rose Flexi clips to dress up a bun, twist, ponytail.

• Like 1

Lots of good ideas - I sometimes feel that my lack of interest in girly things when I was young is a bit of a hindrance.

I agree with all who said - stick to close to natural.  Part of the reason I am growing out the colour is I just can't get to the hairdresser regularly enough to keep it up, and once it went really grey doing it at home was not working so well.  I'm expecting a new baby in the fall and I know it's likely to be even worse as far as getting away.

I did learn a great trick for wavy/curly hair recently, called The Plop.  It actually gives great curls/waves with minimal frizz.  And it's easy.  My curly-haired sister swears by it.

Maybe I will get bangs - that might be what I need to soften up my hair while keeping it long.

But how does it dry if it's all wrapped up like that?  One of the reasons that I had to abandon my ponytail was that if I put it up wet in the morning, it would still be wet inside the ponytail when I took it down at night.

• Like 3

But how does it dry if it's all wrapped up like that?  One of the reasons that I had to abandon my ponytail was that if I put it up wet in the morning, it would still be wet inside the ponytail when I took it down at night.

It seems to dry better than hair up in a pony-tail does.  Maybe the cotton is important for that?

I wear my hair in what I call a layered bob. I get it cut about three times a year, so it starts out at chin/jaw length and then grows until I can't stand it any more, somewhere around my shoulders, at which point I cut it again.

I dislike bobs that angle toward the face, with the front part longest. My hair is pretty much one length all around, slightly shorter near the face, with some longer layers throughout. The layers are shorter near my face, because when my hair is longer and heavier, it looks too flat for the shape of my face. I shower at night, let it air dry while I sleep, then curl the ends under with a curling iron in the morning, which takes about five minutes. I can't be bothered to blow it dry daily or to maintain it more than that. I usually clip what would be my bangs (if I had any) back with a bobby pin, because I can't stand to have hair touching my face.

I did have the Mom Cut from the other thread for short while, eight to ten years ago, though it was slightly longer. It was cute back then, but I see less of that style around here now and more bobs and lobs (long bobs) of various sorts. I live in the Midwest.

• Like 1

I like a bob. Nice and sharp chin length is my preference but I don't get it cut enough and my hair grows really fast so it's usually longer than that. I also like a graduated bob too but I haven't had one for a while as my eldest has had a graduated bob for most of her life and I don't want to have the same hairstyle.

• Like 1

Can you share a link with those guides that actually work for cutting your hair?  My hair is wavy/curly, and I've yet to find someone who can cut it well.  (The hairdressers where we live know only two styles:  short old lady, long and straight young lady.)  Guide lines would be GREAT.....

TIA,

If you search for the "ponytail method" of hair cutting layers, that's what I do.  It's basically pull all your hair into a high (very high, top of head) ponytail, making sure to brush it all even.  Then take a second hair tie and put it around the hair and pull it to just below where you want to cut.  Then cut just above the second hair tie.  Depending on where it is on your head - you get short layers in the front gradually getting longer until the back is longest. 

I did pull just the front sides of my hair up separately last time because I wanted more face framing layers and that worked well too.

You have to use really good, sharp scissors and cut in little snips.

• Like 2

I keep my hair medium to long and just tie it back most of the time.  I prefer medium because it's easier to deal with (I have very thick hair). 

So if I want to do something extra nice with it, it's there, but most of the time I don't and tying it back is way easier than trying to style it.

Part of my issue is I hate hair in my face.  So either I go with something I can tie back or shave my head (which no I don't want to shave my head). 

• Like 1

Mine is crazy thick and long. I've tried shorter but always regret it, always. I avg going to the salon 2x a year, in a good year. I like mine when I bother to fix it and really I can get by w/ just fixing it 2x a wk, sad to say it has not been happening at all b/c I'm too dang busy. Mine is half-way curlyish and I have a bunch of new hairs growing along my hairline since going on thyroid meds- they all want to stick straight out. Anyway, usually these days it is in a lazy bun because that contains it all. I like to put it in there right after I wash it so it stays in better but then it will still be wet 24 hrs later. I keep on thinking I need to ask on here for advice for easy and good looking up dos but I always forget.

• Like 1

I keep mine long as well. Every five years I will get some delusion that THIS time shorter hair will be easier, but with my hair type it never is. Then I grow it back out.

I do the same thing, though I don't always go five years before cutting it. This time I hope I can resist. I also realized, when I look at pictures, that I really don't look good with short hair. It seems like it looks good when I first get it cut, but photos show that it doesn't. I look best with hair about shoulder/collar length. Bangs actually look good on me, but since I can't stand hair on my face I always push them out of the way (and depending on the style that often doesn't look good).

• Like 1