Menu

ACK! The Price of Cars Today

TranquilMind

So, I'm thinking about replacing the van I bought from an elderly man for a few grand in cash.  It has nearly 100K miles on it now, and has done some weird stuff.  I've been looking on eBay, cars.com, and craigslist. 

Oh my goodness.  I just cannot wrap my head around car prices.  New Toyotas or Honda SUVS cost like 68 THOUSAND DOLLARS.  That is a house where I come from, or at least a good chunk of the price. Even used Toyotas or Hondas are outrageously expensive.  I was kind of interested in Jeeps before I read about the reliability ratings (not good).  Even for 5 year old, low mileage Jeeps, they are asking in the low 20's.  Wow.

I guess I will keep looking for another elderly seller who just wants to unload and buy whatever it is because I just can't go there. I can't cross the 20 thousand dollar mark mentally for a vehicle. 

• Like 1

Google said the MSRP of a new Honda Pilot starts at 30k.

Get on cars.com.  You are talking about stripped down base models.  Sure if you want a covered engine, you get the lowest price listed, but that isn't generally what you find unless you order that.   

New Honda Pilot, loaded listings begin with a $64,000, high to low (sorry, I think I had said $68,000).    But seriously, who is paying $64,000 for a vehicle?  Someone must be. 

New Toyota 4 Runner: $57, 000, $54,000, and $50,350

New Toyota Landcruiser:  First three listings are $88,199, $87,164, and $87,529!

First three listings on cars.com for a Honda Pilot:

Used prices for the first few:  $53,000, 52,500, 51,500.  Used. 

Used Toyota 4runner: Same prices.

Hey, at least I don't want a Ferrari.  Those were 3.5 Million. 

I was thinking like 10 or 15K would get me a Used Pilot or a 4Runner or maybe even a Landcruiser with low mileage if it is older.  Silly me. 

• Like 1

Goodness.  What kind of decked out Honda are you looking at????  We bought two new ones in the past couple of years and trust me -- we paid nowhere near $68K for both of them combined.

They were listed high to low in price.  So the first few really were stunning.  I guess I should have reversed the list.  I'm not even looking for new. 

• Like 2

Do you need big? I can't see signatures on tapatalk. I got a used RAV4 with awd and a tow package for $12.

I wanted something a tad bigger, but I could live with that if I could find a low mileage, one owner one for a reasonable price.  Just this once, I thought I would pick out something I actually like in a color I really like, not just anything low mileage that is the best price out there.  Maybe I will be reversing this thought. 

Edited by TranquilMind

We bought our last three low-mileage used cars off craigslist. Vey reasonable prices.

That's what I have done as well for the last 3.    But pickings are slim right now.  You've got the scam ads, and the ads where they don't have title and still owe too much money to get out, and the rare ones that are a good buy where the owner has title. 

I wanted something a tad bigger, but I could live with that if I could find a low mileage, one owner one for a reasonable price. Just this once, I thought I would pick out something I actually like in a color I really like, not just anything low mileage that is the best price out there. Maybe I will be reversing this thought.

Mine had 35k miles.

Sadly it is silver. Why don't people buy cars in pretty colors? I can never find the flipping thing in the vast ocean of silver toyotas in parking lots.

• Like 2

Mine had 35k miles.

Sadly it is silver. Why don't people buy cars in pretty colors? I can never find the flipping thing in the vast ocean of silver toyotas in parking lots.

Ha.  Yes, I have had silver too.  I'm looking for a pretty color this time.  Maybe I will find it. 

If you can be patient, decent deals are out there.  But yeah, cars are pricey!  Dh wants a new truck so bad he can taste it, but when a truck payment would be more than our house payment?  Not happening unless he can work his mojo.  (He does have used car mojo though.  Our most recent purchase was a 2002 Ford Taurus with only 64K miles on it, in pristine condition...$2500)

• Like 2

I wanted something a tad bigger, but I could live with that if I could find a low mileage, one owner one for a reasonable price.  Just this once, I thought I would pick out something I actually like in a color I really like, not just anything low mileage that is the best price out there.  Maybe I will be reversing this thought. 

Honda Pilots are smaller than minivans, so are the smaller Toyota SUVs.

If you can be patient, decent deals are out there.  But yeah, cars are pricey!  Dh wants a new truck so bad he can taste it, but when a truck payment would be more than our house payment?  Not happening unless he can work his mojo.  (He does have used car mojo though.  Our most recent purchase was a 2002 Ford Taurus with only 64K miles on it, in pristine condition...$2500)

I know, and will keep looking!  It takes awhile though.  And that is an awesome deal!

Edited by TranquilMind
  • Like 1

I think you're looking in the wrong places. A fully loaded 2016 Honda Pilot bought full price at the dealer has a MRSP of $43,800. That's still a ton of money, but that's top end of new, so those $64,000 listings are obviously nonsensical.

Well then, crazy dealers are listing cars on cars.com, because I directly quoted the prices of the first few listings.  ;)

If you can be patient, decent deals are out there. But yeah, cars are pricey! Dh wants a new truck so bad he can taste it, but when a truck payment would be more than our house payment? Not happening unless he can work his mojo. (He does have used car mojo though. Our most recent purchase was a 2002 Ford Taurus with only 64K miles on it, in pristine condition...$2500)

Yes, we are very patient. For a deal I like to start looking before it's urgent. Here folks just sit stuff in their yard with a sign in the window. That's where we've gotten our last two vehicles.

They say the ideal age range is 3 years old - it's apparently where the price mellows from being new but still has low mileage?  I'd look in that 3-4 year old category on a local craiglist to get a good idea what people are listing them for.  Edmunds is great for that too.  I sound like a walking ad for them but they've saved us a good deal of money over the years in knowing exactly how much to haggle for.  So much better than Kelly blue book.

They say the ideal age range is 3 years old - it's apparently where the price mellows from being new but still has low mileage?  I'd look in that 3-4 year old category on a local craiglist to get a good idea what people are listing them for.  Edmunds is great for that too.  I sound like a walking ad for them but they've saved us a good deal of money over the years in knowing exactly how much to haggle for.  So much better than Kelly blue book.

That's exactly what I'm looking at.  I prefer 2 years old, but you can't always get what you want....but you get what you need.

(Nod to the Stones).

Yes, Edmunds is THE BEST! 

Edited by TranquilMind
  • Like 1

You are talking about stripped down base models.

I think the advertising industry has done its job very well if they have managed to convince people that a very large vehicle with A/C and (probably) cruise control, electric locks, and electric windows is a "stripped down" model. Of course, we drive a base model 2009 Honda Civic. No electric locks, no cruise control, and not even a cover for the center console. But the A/C is good and it has side curtain airbags.

• Like 2

I think the advertising industry has done its job very well if they have managed to convince people that a very large vehicle with A/C and (probably) cruise control, electric locks, and electric windows is a "stripped down" model. Of course, we drive a base model 2009 Honda Civic. No electric locks, no cruise control, and not even a cover for the center console. But the A/C is good and it has side curtain airbags.

Yes, yes, yes. Our "base model" 2012 mini van came with Bluetooth, usb, power everything, cruise control, etc, etc. It is nice. But, I guess we coulda paid $10 grand more for the "touring" option.

• Like 1

We bought our Civic from my parents who bought it new. They wanted cruise control, but the next model up that had it was $2000 more. My dad decided he didn't need it for that price.

We when drive 650 miles back to visit our families my DH always wishes we had it. I told him we can suck it up for two trips per year.

Yeah, I don't care either unless the AC is missing. That's nonnegotiable. 

I did like the anti-fog mirror on my top of the line decade-old vehicle though.

So, I'm thinking about replacing the van I bought from an elderly man for a few grand in cash.  It has nearly 100K miles on it now, and has done some weird stuff.  I've been looking on eBay, cars.com, and craigslist. 

100K miles really isn't that much anymore.  Put $5K in a bank account for repairs and you can easily get another 100K miles out of that vehicle.  

• Like 6

100K miles really isn't that much anymore.  Put $5K in a bank account for repairs and you can easily get another 100K miles out of that vehicle.  

I was thinking this too...My mom is a 100k and trade off gal.  It works for her.

Our newest vehicle is a 2008. :D  The van hasn't yet hit 80k.

The commuter car is 2007 - it's coming up on 200k quick, but it really runs great.  It's a Honda.

The truck - poor old girl.  She's limping, but she's really just a hauler.  She's a 2004 with 290k miles.  The heat/AC works sometimes but DON'T adjust the flow - it can shut off your lights, turn on your lights, or adjust the heat.  One never really knows.........

The kids drive 1998 and 1999 vehicles respectively.

I think owning a new car would turn me into a mean person.  I'd totally backseat drive, be paranoid, and get anxious.  :P :D

All that jabber to say - you could totally just repair it and go on for a few more years if that makes you feel good. :)

The top listings are for Land Cruisers which retail $80k+.  Most people are not buying Land Cruisers SUV's from Toyota.  Looking at their sales figures, the most popular SUV they sell is the Rav4, which starts around $25k.  They sell something like 300,000+ Rav4's a year while Land Cruisers numbered around 3,000/year.  

Tell me about it. I just bought DD15 a new Cadillac ATS yesterday. All she wanted in a car was red leather seats. All I wanted in her car were safety features. Unfortunately, combining those two desires cost me a fortune.

Yes, it is crazy. The most I've ever spent on a car us about $15,000. I just put $3,000 worth of repairs ($1,500 so it would pass emissions, $1,500 on a new radiator, timing belt and water pump) into my van with 225,000 miles on it in the hopes it will make it another few years because it's nice to have a van while the kids are still living at home and I can't afford a "new" used one. Not to mention the hassle of finding a used van.

We keep putting money into a 1998 Subaru with >300K miles on it.  Because it's gotta be cheaper than buying another car.

Do people buy new cars anymore?  Or do most people lease?  I see a lot of people around me getting new cars every few years, and  I don't think their finances are such that they could be buying them outright.  Or are car payments just seen as a reasonable expense?  And they trade in every few years?

100K miles really isn't that much anymore. Put $5K in a bank account for repairs and you can easily get another 100K miles out of that vehicle.

My Subaru is on 200k km and going strong, apparently they can go to 300k so I guess close to 200 miles with only minor repairs.

I'm shocked that a "base model" does not include cruise control, auto locks, and other things mentioned previously.  I bought a 2010 base model Prius, and those were all included. I'm surprised that there is enough of a market to even sell vehicles with less than that, particuarly in the Honda/Toyota, etc. lines.  I'm only disappointed that I don't have bluetooth, but I guess that was a year or so before it really became big in cars.

This is a driving reason for me to look at tiny campers for my family. We need a camper trailer and 98% of them are too big for us to tow with our minivan. A new (or even new to us) tow vehicle will cost at least $40,000. You add the price of a camper, $10 - $25 K, and it is roughly a third of what we paid for our house!! It is insane!

We found a guy in our area who specialized in what he called "college kid cars" - they were older models in good condition that he bought and gave a once-over in terms of maintenance. We've gotten 3 cars from him now....because we may not be college kids, but we live on a budget!!

Our minivan, when we bought it, was a lease return with 35K mile on it. We paid cash with a legacy from my dad. When it wears out (has 125K on it now), we will severely downsize because, by then, we won't need that size anymore.

• Like 2

We have 3 vehicles. They are 17 yo, 10 yo, and 9 yo. The 2 oldest have over 100K miles, the youngest probably has ~60k miles. Guess which one of these was the most costly & is the least reliable. Buying vehicles is so stressful. I feel for you. I do not find joy in vehicle shopping. The prices are so high & when you buy used (which is all we ever do) it's a struggle & a gamble. Good luck.

Well, I'd agree with you....but it's a Ford.

I kept my Hondas and Toyotas much longer. 

Ford quality now is much, much better than it was 20 years ago when Honda and Toyota earned their reputations for being far superior.

I'm not saying the average Ford will last longer than the average Honda... just that Fords no longer have the kind of built-in obsolescence they used to that made them die around 85,000.

We don't believe in buying cars brand new. The minute you drive them off the lot they depreciate considerably. We've bought dealer demos, practically brand new cars, for good prices. We also buy used cars that still have warranties or dealer guarantees, from the dealer. I look at dealer inventory online. Then we look at the Kelly blue book for our trade in and the car we want and have a fair price decided before we go to the dealer. It's always worked out well for us.

That said, we keep our cars till about 200,000 miles and pay for repairs, unless it is a constant drain on finances.

• Like 1

Our 15 year old Mercury Mini Van has 225,000 miles.  We've only had routine maintenance thus far.  I'm hoping to get another year or two out of it! 

I keep hoping Ford will bring the C-Max 7 or the S-Max to the states.  I really want to downsize our vehicle, but still want the extra seats, if needed.  I really don't want an Explorer or large mini-van, as I'll be down to 3 kids most of the time by that point.

Ford quality now is much, much better than it was 20 years ago when Honda and Toyota earned their reputations for being far superior.

I'm not saying the average Ford will last longer than the average Honda... just that Fords no longer have the kind of built-in obsolescence they used to that made them die around 85,000.

I hope you are right.  It makes some weird sounds now.

Well, I'd agree with you....but it's a Ford.

I kept my Hondas and Toyotas much longer. 

If it was a Toyota or Honda, I'd say 250K-300K.  The Ford you should be able to get at least 150K, maybe 200K. 

Here's what you want to do.  Take it to a mechanic and get it looked over well.  Ask him what he thinks it will likely take to get another 50K miles out of it, then decide if it's worth the $$.

• Like 1

I hope you are right.  It makes some weird sounds now.

So go get the sound looked at so you can make an informed decision about what to do.  The answer to car problems isn't buying a new car (ok, it's one possible answer, but by far the most expensive).

Here's another way to do the math.  Imagine what your car payment would be $350/mth?  That's $4200/yr for 5? years?  If you spent $1k/yr on car repairs for the next two years then bought another car, those two years would save you $6400. 

• Like 1