Menu

So, what did you think about the debate? (Let's leave everything else out of it)

I think all governors of this country need to be sent a memo upon their inauguration: the word is "NuCLEEar."

:glare:

Actually, not necessarily.

That's the pronunciation for the East coast and other areas (NC?) but where I grew up and in other areas we've lived, Nuke-u-lar is perfectly acceptable. A similar word would be merc-er-ee (mercury). Colloquialisms.

Remember that old show, Northern Exposure? I think Palin appeals to people because, of all the candidates, she really is from a small-town, country sort of life.

Politicians always pull out the "I'm just a regular guy" thing around election time but they've lived for a long time in a very sheltered world -- being pampered, moving in powerful circles, being treated with deference and favor, using limos, sending their kids to private schools, getting excellent immediate service for things like health care. That's one thing that really is different about most of Palin's life and career, so the accent and attitude are probably genuine.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seriously, though, both Jim Lehrer and Gwen Ifill hit hard on that question of "What ARE you going to give up now that we are going to be sucked into the black hole of the $700B bailout?" (Well, they might not have phrased it QUITE like that.) None of the 4 really gave a plausible answer to that.

McCain: Spending freeze on everything except defense spending, veterans' benefits, and entitlements.

Obama: A spending freeze is too drastic. It'll just...take longer to implement some of our programs.

Palin: Let me tell you about energy programs! We're gonna give you tax cuts!

Biden: Um, we'll cut foreign giving. (There's one I can sneak in: Foreigners don't vote!!)

:lol:

Also

Biden: That's a good question but instead of answering it, let me tell you what we're not cutting!

Palin: That's definitely a question but I'd like ta answer a question that no one's askin' instead.

I'm already decided and I haven't watched the whole thing yet but so far it seems like pretty standard fare. Not as thinky as the Obama/McCain debate.

Actually, not necessarily.

That's the pronunciation for the East coast and other areas (NC?) but where I grew up and in other areas we've lived, Nuke-u-lar is perfectly acceptable. A similar word would be merc-er-ee (mercury). Colloquialisms.

I don't think I've ever heard that explanation.:confused:

I thought Palin did remarkably well. I've never paid attention to Biden before yet was impressed with him as well. For me, the best part was when Palin was addressing gov't taking over health care - her expression was priceless and a perfect portrayal of how I for one feel about trusting our gov't with such a responsibility. There were a lot of things in the debate that showed me that she understands things from the viewpoint of the average American, but that part of the debate was just great. ;) I loved her folksyness (is that a word?), I loved how she spoke directly to the people, I loved how she openly said that she might not answer the questions the way Biden or the moderator wanted her to. This was, IMO, a far better debate than the one last week.

I enjoyed the debate tonight. Each VP candidate did what they were supposed to do.

Joe Biden is experienced, he understands what drives the middle class, and he is experienced. I can see why so many supported him in his bid for the Democratic nomination for US President. What more can you say about that?

Sarah Palin was self-assured and spoke with conviction about what the McCain-Palin ticket represents. She did have difficulty with the Katie Couric interview, but she was able to get past this because tonight she was right there in the moment.

Claire in NM

I thought Palin did quite well and though she didn't do a perfect job, she definitely held her own. Biden did very well and showed great restrain. I am a Republican, but it's hard for me not to like him. I was impressed with Gwen Ifill. She was professional and fair. I don't think this debate changed a lot of the minds of undeciders, but it instilled more confidence in those who already planned on voting for McCain and made Obama supporters proud of Biden. I don't mind the folksy style at all, but I am getting a bit tired of hearing the word maverick. ;)

I like Joe Biden...I like him more than Obama so this is the debate where my perceptions might be skewed. :lol:

I did think Palin did well. I thought she had excellent presence. She did too much winking and grinning IMO but that wouldn't really hurt her

I am concerned about what she said about the Vice Presidency. The Vice President's office is in the *Executive Branch* it isn't "flexible" I am really uncomfortable with it being defined that way.

Also, I don't like that she spoke of expanding the role of the Vice President. I really dislike that. A lot.

Her 2 years as gov "for the people" (and my family being among those "people") beat out over 30 years of senate for the self-serving........by a long shot.

She's not anything like what the media reports her to be.....and the debate should prove that for anyone open to seeing it.

Palin has done an unbelievable job here in Alaska in her short service period (it didn't take her 30 years to do ...... what?) - and we ARE NOT easily impressed here BTW. If she can do anything remotely close for the country that she's done for AK.......all I can say is ...wow, our country should all be so lucky to have someone of such substance and performance, and not just a pretty face.

And btw, I'm not saying this because of my political affiliation, or due to where I live, but from what I and our community here have seen first hand.

Edited by Alaska Mom

I am concerned about what she said about the Vice Presidency. The Vice President's office is in the *Executive Branch* it isn't "flexible" I am really uncomfortable with it being defined that way.

Also, I don't like that she spoke of expanding the role of the Vice President. I really dislike that. A lot.

I agree completely!!! And I thought Biden responded to that very well by pointing out that Dick Cheney's been doing that or trying to do that for the past 8 years.

I thought Palin did well and she reminded me of Reagan. I think she is almost as good when it comes to communicating ideas as he was. In fact I think she does a better job than McCain does. I knew she would do a good job.

I think it will be interesting to look at some of the fact check sites tomorrow to see how many Biden got flat out wrong. He is an ok speaker but lacks the charm that Palin has in my opinion. I think she hammered him quite a bit on some of the things he said when he was debating Obama during the primaries.

All that written I think if you were for Obama before the debate you are still for him and if you were for McCain you are still for him. I think Palin's performance will settle some of the nerves that are on edge about her due to the Couric interview.

What will be interesting is seeing how many undecideds moved closer to McCain or went to McCain or vice-a-versa due to the debate. After all that is what debates are for moving the undecided voter and that will show up in the pols by Tuesday and Wednesday.

One thing is for sure it was easier to watch this debate than it was to watch the debate last week.

Overall, a good performance by both of them. I was impressed by her ability to speak well, as she did during the convention, and I found her delightful. Joe Biden did a nice job, too. It bothered me that they both tended to use their time to give platform statements and to attack the presidential candidates instead of directly answering the questions, but that seems to be par for the course in recent vice-presidential debates. I was hoping for this time to be different, though.

Governor Palin proved herself very well, too. Though she has that Midwesterner type accent, she was still able to articulate well. However, I agreed w/ much of the substance in her presentation. (I stil have a hard time w/ the fact that she is a momma of little ones....this is my issue and struggle w/ her).

Funny, I thought her accent sounded like she was from Montana, but I guess she did live there for awhile. I've never known anyone originally from Alaska to know what they usually sound like there.

I've thought long and hard about the mothering issue, too, and the conclusion I've drawn is this: she's going to be a working mom, whether she's governing Alaska or serving as our vice-president. That's the choice she's made, with the blessing of her dh and family. They seem pretty flexible and willing to do what it takes for her to serve. Given all that, would I rather have her use her abilities to serve only the people of Alaska, or would I rather have her serve the whole nation?

I thought they both sucked (to use the technical term). Biden was boring and repititive and talked more about McCain then himself. And Palin was all folksy charm with no substance.

I wanted to learn more about them both and to learn what they had upstairs for brains and all I got were numbers about who voted for what how many times and that Biden went to Home Depot and Palin thinks she's a maverick.

I wish one of them had had the courage to present some intelligent, challenging and yes, intellectual responses instead of pander to the idea that people want Joe/Jill Six-Pack running the US government.

As a Canuck, I don't get a vote but shucks, if I did, that debate wouldn't have helped me at all.

You want suckage, Dawn? You should have watched the Canadian debate tonight.

Almost as exciting as watching grass grow. :tongue_smilie:

I think she sounds Canadian. She says her vowels funny. "Blunders" sounded like "blenders" to me, and there was one other she kept saying that sounded off - I can't remember what.

It doesn't bother me though. We can't all be from South Jersey!

Her 2 years as gov "for the people" (and my family being among those "people") beat out 26 yrs of senate for the self-serving........by a long shot.

Joe Biden has been in the Senate for 35 years.

As for "self serving" he is ranked as one of the "least wealthy" members of congress. So if he was "self serving" he wasn't doing himself much good.

Edited by Sis

I think she sounds Canadian. She says her vowels funny. "Blunders" sounded like "blenders" to me, and there was one other she kept saying that sounded off - I can't remember what.

Hey! I resemble that remark, eh? :lol:

Actually, she doesn't sound Canadian to me at all.

Funny, I always think she sounds like she's from my (old) area. I get a little western MI/WI and a little MN/Dakotas and even a little Chicago.

>>Joe Biden has been in the Senate for 35 years.<<

That anyone could stay in there for 35 years. Man we need some term limits so we can stop having career politicians! (no particular disrespect for Biden - I thought he was fine, just that I think we need fresh blood in there on a regular basis)

I missed the first half.

I thought Biden "won" simply in the sense that he knew his stuff better and he has more debate experience. That said, Palin did well. She wasn't likely to gain voters but she didn't hurt McCain any.

I may end up voting 3rd party though. I haven't been able to get the trust I need for McCain and I could never vote for an Obama ticket - we're about a million miles away on almost everything.

A little confession...

I don't think Biden fully stands behind Obama. Perhaps they have similar stances on most issues, but I wonder sometimes if Biden feels Obama is as qualified as Biden. I can't point to one specific thing that makes me think that, but I do. Speculation, I fully admit. In contrast, Palin seems to be fully behind McCain, as far as I can see.

I'm sick of the term "Maverick" too. Almost as sick of it as I am "Change".

As for "self serving" he is ranked as one of the "least wealthy" members of congress. So if he was "self serving" he wasn't doing himself much good.

I would love to see this list....do you have a source you can link?

Thanks!

Aggie

I would love to see this list....do you have a source you can link?

Thanks!

Aggie

I do

http://www.opensecrets.org/pfds/overview.php?type=W&year=2006&filter=S&sort=A

http://www.opensecrets.org/pfds/CIDsummary.php?CID=N00001669&year=2006

http://www.opensecrets.org/pfds/overview.php?type=W&year=2006&filter=C&sort=A

He released all of his tax records for the past ten years

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/13/us/politics/13biden.html?ref=politics

Edited by Sis

We watched with a group of friends, and there was a veritable uproar at this point in the debate. We even "rewound" the Tivo to make sure she'd said what she'd said. I only hope that it gets some play tomorrow. Truly frightening -- to us anyway. I'm curious what the more conservative members of the board think about it.

We watched with a group of friends, and there was a veritable uproar at this point in the debate. We even "rewound" the Tivo to make sure she'd said what she'd said. I only hope that it gets some play tomorrow. Truly frightening -- to us anyway. I'm curious what the more conservative members of the board think about it.

PALIN: No, no. Of course, we know what a vice president does. And that's not only to preside over the Senate and will take that position very seriously also. I'm thankful the Constitution would allow a bit more authority given to the vice president if that vice president so chose to exert it in working with the Senate and making sure that we are supportive of the president's policies and making sure too that our president understands what our strengths are. John McCain and I have had good conversations about where I would lead with his agenda. That is energy independence in America and reform of government over all, and then working with families of children with special needs. That's near and dear to my heart also. In those arenas, John McCain has already tapped me and said, that's where I want you, I want you to lead. I said, I can't wait to get and there go to work with you.
PALIN: Well, our founding fathers were very wise there in allowing through the Constitution much flexibility there in the office of the vice president. And we will do what is best for the American people in tapping into that position and ushering in an agenda that is supportive and cooperative with the president's agenda in that position. Yeah, so I do agree with him that we have a lot of flexibility in there, and we'll do what we have to do to administer very appropriately the plans that are needed for this nation. And it is my executive experience that is partly to be attributed to my pick as V.P. with McCain, not only as a governor, but earlier on as a mayor, as an oil and gas regulator, as a business owner. It is those years of experience on an executive level that will be put to good use in the White House also.
Yeah. It is surprising.

I guess...I dunno I keep expecting the 2000 McCain to jump out of some cake or something say, "PUNKED!" and start acting like the McCain I would expect to see.

I would expect McCain to put a stop to that sort of thing

Edited by Sis

I don't care about her accent FWIW. The number of times I drop y'all in a day is just incomprehensible!!

I have no room to talk! :lol:

Besides, we have had good presidents with bad accents.

I'm sure most of you would think that I sound like a big ole' hick since I grew up in the sticks of S. Central Georgia. I sometimes have to think about my speech to speak correctly when it matters (such as when teaching school). In my opinion, speaking on national TV as a vice-presidential candidate is a time when correct grammar matters.

Well, here's what I'm wondering. In the thread after the Pres. debate, there was a bit of an uproar over how unprofessional Obama was for looking McCain in the eye, and how McCain was following the proper debate rules. But the first thing Palin did tonight was ask Biden if she could call him Joe, and then she proceeded to speak directly to him through the whole thing. Why are we not discussing her lack of professionalism? And honestly, I think the way the candidates have carried themselves is fine. I'm just wondering why the two camps are not held to the same standards in these discussions :confused:

"That anyone could stay in there for 35 years. Man we need some term limits so we can stop having career politicians! (no particular disrespect for Biden - I thought he was fine, just that I think we need fresh blood in there on a regular basis)"

Amen to that, whether Republican, Democrat, Independent!

Well, here's what I'm wondering. In the thread after the Pres. debate, there was a bit of an uproar over how unprofessional Obama was for looking McCain in the eye, and how McCain was following the proper debate rules. But the first thing Palin did tonight was ask Biden if she could call him Joe, and then she proceeded to speak directly to him through the whole thing. Why are we not discussing her lack of professionalism? And honestly, I think the way the candidates have carried themselves is fine. I'm just wondering why the two camps are not held to the same standards in these discussions :confused:

This is annoying to me also. It's like that on everything.

See, now, I feel the exact opposite.

Yeah, I felt the opposite too. I actually was expecting Joe Biden to come off as presidential, and make Palin look like a lightweight by comparison-- I was surprised to see that Joe Biden did not come across as president worthy, either. He stumbled over his words repeatedly, slurring, rambled in his answers, got off point many times, let Palin's challenges go unanswered several times... politics aside, he didn't seem like someone I would be comfortable with as president, if Obama were to become incapacitated.

I realize that it's not the role of vice-presidential candidates to appear presidential, but with all the talk in this election about VPs taking over, it does come to mind, and while I wasn't expecting Sarah Palin to appear presidential (and she didn't, to me, either), I did expect more in that area from Joe Biden.

Erica

Uh, I don't recall anyone calling Obama unprofessional for looking at McCain during that debate. The context of that conversation was that people were saying how much more diplomatic and "willing to work with people" Obama appeared when he was looking at McCain, and how rude it was for McCain to not address Obama. Other people then posted that actually it was standard debate protocol to not look at each other, so McCain was not doing anything unusual in addressing the camera. I didn't hear anyone at all say that Obama was unprofessional for looking at McCain-- just that McCain was not being a jerk (which had been the implication) for not looking back.

Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of double standards on both sides, but I just don't think this was one of them.

Erica

Palin's calm, cool and collected countenance.

Interesting that I saw her as the exact opposite. I thought she appeared defensive, flustered, and unsure of herself. Several times, then the camera was on Biden but Palin was visible in the background, she seemed to be gritting her teeth or sighing, trying to keep her cool. I was unimpressed with the way she spoke and and I think she came across as disingenuous in several places (e.g., the "It is SO OBVIOUS that I am a Washington outsider because I just don't understand the way you guys do things in Washington" thing came across as canned and fake. So did the "Say it ain't so, Joe," thing.). I think Biden caught her several times trying to pin blame on Obama by pointing out that McCain voted the same way. I think she dodged way too many questions, and I think she was very vague.

I am an Obama supporter. However, I REALLY wanted to see Gov. Palin do well in this debate because I know that there is a reasonable chance that McCain will win the election. I want to feel good about our elected leaders. I wanted to say to myself, "Ok, you have misjudged Palin, she seems very capable despite the views she holds that you disagree with." I was completely unable to do that. I feel that my major concerns about her were upheld.

I was very uncomfortable with her insistance that it doesn't matter what causes global warming, and I think she really looked uncomfortable during that discussion, as though she knew her views were unpopular.

Tara

Edited by TaraTheLiberator
typo

I was very uncomfortable with her insistance that it doesn't matter what causes global warming, and I think she really looked uncomfortable during that discussion, as though she knew her views were unpopular.

Tara

I'm sure she does know that her views on global warming are unpopular-- mine are too! :tongue_smilie: It is extremely unpopular to dispute man-made global warming these days, so in those conditions, I think she did a good job of expressing the truth as she knows it, while not alienating most people. I certainly could not have come up with a more diplomatic way to answer that question.

Erica

I'm glad I watched. I think I fell for a lot of the negative spin about Palin in recent weeks, and was afraid that she would be a total wreck. I was pleasantly assured with her performance last night. I didn't think she was perfect, by any means, but I am comfortable with her again as VP.

Also, as I said above, I was disappointed by Joe Biden. I honestly expected him, with all of his experience in Washington, and having run for president himself, to blow her away, and I really thought they were just about even.

Erica

I agree that both candidates presented themselves well, although I think Biden did appear more knowledgeable. I think Palin recognized that fact as well because of her statement that she'd only been at this for 5 weeks.

I agree with the poster who said they didn't think this would sway anyone's vote. The debate went much the way I thought it would. I don't give Palin extra points for holding her own. She should be able to hold her own inmho. I also don't give interviews with media much credit, so her interview with Katie Couric isn't something I would consider relative to my vote.

These debates are interesting and for the most part only serve to either make me feel better or worse about the candidate I won't be voting for.;)

:iagree:

I was one of the first ones posting here, after the first debate, pointing out that McCain wasn't looking at Obama when he was speaking (I thought it was rude). I was told by countless posters that it wasn't proper debating technique. And, not having any experience with 'debate protocol' before, I then understood and accepted that there was a reason for McCain to have kept his eyes focused on the moderator and/or audience.

But now Palin's considered "folksy" and "down-to-earth", both here and in the media's post-debate comments, for using terms like "Joe Six Pack" and making comments like "I've only been at this for 5 weeks" and no one's jumping on her.

I agree that there's a huge doublestandard. If Biden had tried the same tactic (which I'm sure he wouldn't -- that's what experience, both in debates and in politics, will teach you, and sometimes the hard way), he would be raked over the coals mercilessly. When she does it, it's more along the lines of "Oh, she's a newbie. She doesn't understand. She's appealing to the everyday American."

I don't think the people are who we are voting for...so the impressions I get of them in debates don't affect me much either way, it's what they represent and what facts they bring to the table and what they're trying to say that hit me hard.

I felt that Biden was trying to make his answers seem more 'central' so as not to offend the majority of the American people..while he says he supports marriage between a man and a woman...."Barack Obama did vote against a Federal Marriage Amendment and opposed the Defense of Marriage Act in 1996."

McCain voted yea on the Defense of Marriage Act...so I have to ask, who supports marriage being held between a man and a woman.

The same goes for drilling..Obama was opposed to all drilling...now he's backing down...I don't see how drilling in Alaska with leaving a minimal footprint on the wilderness would keep him from allowing this to go through...there are millions upon millions of acres of wildlife, it would take less than 1% of those acres to drill and be out of there...we need to stop being reliant on other countries...

I liked that Palin brought out some of these key discrepancies but I think she could have pointed out the main difference on issues..which is why Americans choose a candidate...it's not on how well they delivered the message, whether it be nervous, or confident or strong, it's more about what they delivered...I felt Biden tried to paint a more centrist view on the issues, when in actuality they are so far left of mainstream...just looking at their voting records..and I felt that Palin brought out some good fact points (Obama having 96 voting opportunities to vote non-partisan but each time he voted with his Party)...we just are not representing the people of America if we don't have a President who can vote on both sides of the table and represent the views/demands of the majority of Americans.

Tara

I didn't think that she was unprofessional, I found her to be engaging and from the look on Joe Biden's face, so did he.

I'm sure she does know that her views on global warming are unpopular-- mine are too! :tongue_smilie: It is extremely unpopular to dispute man-made global warming these days, so in those conditions, I think she did a good job of expressing the truth as she knows it, while not alienating most people. I certainly could not have come up with a more diplomatic way to answer that question.

Erica

I agree. My husband looked at me and said, "She sure was a lot more diplomatic than you would have been.":D

My views on globaloney, as Remudamom affectionately calls it, are less than popular, too. What I like about Palin is that she wants to be respectful about it realizing that others do not share her opinion, but still maintains her stance rather than flip-flopping to people please.

"Oh, she's a newbie. She doesn't understand. She's appealing to the everyday American."

She is...I don't expect her to act like a 30 year Senator or an attorney who debated for years in law school...there is a protocol in debate and it is standard rule that you don't speak to the opponent you speak to the moderator or judge....

I have just now been exposed to debate and those habits of turning to your opponent while speaking can take loads of debate time to correct, just as it's taken Obama 20 years to get the 'uh's' reduced in his speeches...everyone has habits they can't control in a debate setting, in our local group, one girl when she's nervous smiles a lot..that's engaging if you're talking about the right topic but when you're talking about nuclear disarmament...not so great....I'm amazed at the nuances in debate and there's a huge learning curve...in our small towns debates between mayor/governor do not hold as much to the 'rules' as you would see between lifelong career politicians...I'm thankful she is just an average Joe and can't pick on her for her authenticity.

Tara

I'm sure she does know that her views on global warming are unpopular--

I'm sure she does, too. But she didn't seem confident discussing the issue. The idea that we can tackle global warming without knowing what causes it is ludicrous, imo.

Tara

Edited by TaraTheLiberator
Removed a phrase that didn't adequately explain my position

The FactCheck score is Palin-4 mistakes and Biden-3 mistakes.

I only saw parts of the debate, but the parts I saw fit the feedback I am seeing here from several of you. I thought Mr. Biden was gentlemanly, knowledgeable; a statesman. I thought Mrs. Palin was less adorable than usual (if you saw the SNL Palin-Couric skit you know what I mean!) and more clear than usual.

Overall I think Biden did a better job.

I have just now been exposed to debate and those habits of turning to your opponent while speaking can take loads of debate time to correct, just as it's taken Obama 20 years to get the 'uh's' reduced in his speeches...everyone has habits they can't control in a debate setting

I will agree with you there!!

Obama supporter that I am....his "uhhhh's" drive me up a wall!! And I was surprised to see them, considering he was Harvard-educated. :rolleyes: