Menu

What religion are you really?

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Apparently I am 100% Orthodox Quaker! Interesting. I know nothing about Orthodox Quakers.

One of the questions I had a hard time with was the one asking whether I think we should revere nature. I think we should protect the earth, be good stewards of it, make caring for it a high priority - but revere it? That's a little too close to worship. There will be no worshiping of the trees etc for me.

Conservative Christian Protestant 100%

I found it difficult to answer some of the questions, and failed to put an answer on one because none of the choices reflected my beliefs. I felt as if the writer of the quiz did not truly understand Christianity. I have also learned that only another Christian can truly understand Christianity. My faith is so much more more than rules and rituals it is truly seeing the world through a different lense.

Nevertheless, I think the results are accurate.

I got 100% EO, 100% Catholic, and 98% Conservative to mainline Protestant. ????? I'm conservative Protestant. What I don't understand is how EO and RC can have all the same answers. Some of the questions were off, too. There was no appropriate available response for me on good works/salvation. I do believe that one should follow the law of God, but I don't think that doing so leads directly to my salvation, rather doing so is the result of my salvation. This is not a niggling distinction without a difference, as it was a huge issue in the Reformation, some would argue THE issue. How did they miss this?

My top one was Orthodox Quaker. I did belong to a Quaker church for awhile just out of college, so I'm not too surprised.

#2, however, was Seventh Day Adventist. Even though my family attended an SDA church for a couple of years when I was a child, I know that my beliefs do not align with theirs in terms of keeping the Sabbath and other OT laws, so that one has me scratching my head.:confused:

Conservative Christian Protestant 100%

I found it difficult to answer some of the questions, and failed to put an answer on one because none of the choices reflected my beliefs. I felt as if the writer of the quiz did not truly understand Christianity. I have also learned that only another Christian can truly understand Christianity. My faith is so much more more than rules and rituals it is truly seeing the world through a different lense.

Right, no answers given for question 12 reflect my views. I skipped 3 or 4 questions.

100% Conservative Protestant

I got 100% EO' date=' 100% Catholic, and 98% Conservative to mainline Protestant. ????? I'm conservative Protestant. What I don't understand is how EO and RC can have all the same answers. Some of the questions were off, too. There was no appropriate available response for me on good works/salvation. I do believe that one should follow the law of God, but I don't think that doing so leads directly to my salvation, rather doing so is the [i']result[/i] of my salvation. This is not a niggling distinction without a difference, as it was a huge issue in the Reformation, some would argue THE issue. How did they miss this?

Exactly!

It is because of how the questions are worded. I do have the same values as the Catholics. I think we are called to do good works, but I don;t place the same amount of weight on them.

FTR I have tried to understand Catholic doctrine, and I will continue to try because I respect their faith and their perspective. It just seems as if we speak two different languages.

Edited by beansprouts

I'm a Mainline/Liberal Christian Protestant. Since I'm ordained UMC, that's not a surprise! I think obviously many people will have slightly more nuanced answers than they offer, but I just went with the closest... but nice to know the test seems to work.

What I found more interesting than my other close matches (in descending order: liberal Quakers, Unitarian Universalists, Orthodox Quakers and Reform Judaism) was what appeared at the opposite end of the spectrum. My last three were: Jehovah's Witnesses, LDS and Nontheists.

Mine was 100% Mahayana Buddhism, which I do love, except that it is atheistic, which is not me. Then I was 94% Universalist Unitarian, 91% Hindu, and 91% Neo Pagan. I know I am more in line with some of the nature respect and revering things in Buddhism, and the beliefs of complete abandonment of all earthly attachments for enlightenment (Hindus believe this, but not to the same extent--well, they don't practice it as severely).

I think I got the UU because I firmly believe in gay rights and put that at high priority and am pro-choice.

This was a cool quiz though, and makes you think.

100%, followed by conservative Christian/protestant (88%).

I agree with Beansprouts - I too, didn't answer a question because none of the options fit my beliefs. And a couple of them were difficult based on the wording, but I selected based on what I thought they were referring to.

I'll have to look into the O. Quakers-don't know too much about them.

I'm still trying to get through the first two pages. I was on my slower computer when I tried the first time. Now I'm on my faster one but it's still not loading right....

eta: tried it and on both computers my firewall says that it's encountering a port scanning attack from this site. Giving up. Good thing I'm secure in what I believe! :)

Edited by Alenee

Mine was 100% Mahayana Buddhism, which I do love, except that it is atheistic, which is not me.

I wasn't at all surprised to "discover" that I was Buddhist, of course, but I was surprised that Theravada ranked higher for me than Mahayana, since all of my exposure to Buddhism has been through the Mahayana tradition. But the difference between 99% and 100% is pretty minor, I suppose. I'm just wondering which question on the quiz resulted in that difference.

I was an atheist when I first became Buddhist (and in fact, that's one of the things about Buddhism that grabbed my attention). But in more recent years have found that I am more pantheist/panentheist (which I suppose is why I also ranked high for New Age and Neo-Pagan on the quiz), and don't feel that that conflicts with my Buddhist beliefs at all, but in fact enriches them. But that's just me. I no longer think of Buddhism as atheistic. Thich Nhat Hanh said "The Buddha was not against God. He was only against notions of God that are mere mental constructions that do not correspond to reality, notions that prevent us from developing ourselves and touching ultimate reality."

I got 100% EO' date=' 100% Catholic, and 98% Conservative to mainline Protestant. ????? I'm conservative Protestant. What I don't understand is how EO and RC can have all the same answers. Some of the questions were off, too. There was no appropriate available response for me on good works/salvation. I do believe that one should follow the law of God, but I don't think that doing so leads directly to my salvation, rather doing so is the [i']result[/i] of my salvation. This is not a niggling distinction without a difference, as it was a huge issue in the Reformation, some would argue THE issue. How did they miss this?

I suppose this would explain why I've been frustrated with my denomination lately:001_huh:. After many years of wrestling with my beliefs, maybe I'm not even a protestant anymore.

I'm with you on the appropriate response to good works/salvation.

Lori

Apparently I am 100% Orthodox Quaker! Interesting. I know nothing about Orthodox Quakers.

One of the questions I had a hard time with was the one asking whether I think we should revere nature. I think we should protect the earth, be good stewards of it, make caring for it a high priority - but revere it? That's a little too close to worship. There will be no worshiping of the trees etc for me.

:lol:

I am 100% Orthodox Quaker. Which is not really true for me. Probably as close as any other label though.

Funny about the "revere nature" question! I misread it and thought it said "revert nature" - :lol: :lol: :lol:

I won't even go there.