Menu

15 year old daughter...question

ProudGrandma

What does your 15/16 year old daughter like to do when she is alone? Like what does she do in her free time...but by herself.

I have 2 sons and one daughter...and sometimes she is just by herself..but is getting bored with her typical things she likes to do...puzzles, reading, seeing, crafting...so I am looking for some different ideas.

Edited by NEprairiemom

current 15 yo -

-read

-listen to music

-play piano

-sing

-cook (she loves to bake)

-research different things on internet (she has always loved learning and knowing things)

-play computer games (apps on kindle)

-sometimes felts

-chat with sister

-work in her garden

-wander around the backyard (about 2 acres)

- sometimes sews

18 yo now, but when she was younger

-read

-listen to music

-practice flute

-draw/paint

-search pinterest and create various things

-repaint/refashion little Polly pocket type dolls/Lego figures

-decorate the styrofoam wig heads

-write stories

-write poetry

-blog

-garden

-just wander around outside looking at stuff

-experiment with her younger sister's hair

-chat with sister

-imagine all sorts of very strange scenarios

-come up with jokes 

-write letters to friends/relatives

-pick flowers and arrange them

-re-arrange various parts of the house (drives me crazy)

-randomly decides to clean (I love this!)

-refashions clothing (old lace tablecloth becomes a lace over-skirt, old sweater becomes hat and fingerless gloves.)

When I was 15, I spent many hours sitting alone in my room.  I would listen to pop music and read, write prose and poetry, draw, and make up stuff I was gonna do someday.  :)  I would play solitaire and rearrange my junk.  Sometimes I even did homework.  :P  I also used to play the piano for an hour or so whenever I got a chance - just for fun, since I wasn't ever going to "perform" in front of people.  I also liked to ride my bike around for an hour or so, or take long walks in our rural town, stopping at the playground to swing on the swings, do chin-ups, or run around the track.  Sometimes I would climb a tree so I could just sit there alone and think.

Paying for good art lessons was so beneficial to my dd. She also has started to experiment with different musical instruments.

We live on a rescue farm and she is busy with her own rescues.

You need to help her with her own passions. If she doesn't know what they are, experimenting to fin them is necessary. Everyone has their own passions and gifts and that is where their natural happy spot will be.

Reading the above, she has done most of that stuff. She started by me doing them with her or she did the activities in a class or with friends. Your Dd needs to find out what really interests her

• Like 1

DD will be 15 next month.

Draw

Listen to music

Practice music

Play clash of clans

Write comic books

Draw Pokemon

Research Pokemon online

Text her friends (they don't get together often since they are all in different schools)

She wants to try animation next - I think an electronic draw pad and animation software will be her birthday present.

When she has free time, my 14 yr old generally prefers to hide in her room -- away from younger siblings:

-reading

-snapchat, Instagram

-writing fan fiction

-drawing

-listening to music

-watching tv or movies on her phone

Or downstairs

-playing sims, minecraft

-watching movies on tv

Or walking downtown on weekends

- going out for pizza or to the park with friends

- going to the library or coffee or ice cream or shopping

Plays guitar or piano

Writes songs

Messages with friends online

Listens to music

Reads

Watches TV / YouTube funnies

At fifteen she doesn't really do "stuff" anymore, not things that produce a product you could see like crafts. She spends a lot of time on school and homework, and tends to just relax in the rest of the time, and do the things listed above to keep herself occupied.

16 in 4 days!

read

play piano or viola

watch TV or Netflix (likes Supergirl, The Office (we talk through it), LOST (watch together) )

bake (and cook, lately)

walk outside

make cards if occasion arises

She has a lot of homework, and she plays two instruments, is active in our church youth group, tutors on Tues evenings and has a job at the weekend sexton (basically locking up) at church, so she doesn't have a ton of down time (though much more than her athletic friends).

Minecraft

Youtube

Stuff on her phone -- there is an app that let's you lipsync to a song and video yourself doing it.  She likes this.

Instagram, snapchat.

Drawing in her sketch book, drawing on her wacom pad (computer thing)

She is currently fixated on getting flexible enough to do the splits

She is also fixated on teaching herself to do handstands.

Texting friends.

Sometimes she will go out and talk to the neighbor kids, although not often (they are much younger)

She is also active in Sunday School, as a Children's Church volunteer, Youth Group, and as a Kinder Teacher for our Wed. night Bible program.

Lap swimming with Dad once a week.

Hanging out with her friends.

Reading Rick Riordan and Harry Potter books, over and over.

There's another app that makes your face look funny, like those crazy mirrors at carnivals, except it's an app on your phone and you can also add cat ears to yourself and stuff.

This is a great thread!

My 15 year old:

Reads (mostly fantasy, some dystopia, some sci-fi)

Writes stories on quotev

Goes for walks to the park just to be

Researches recipes, sometimes cooks them

Stretches, works on tumbling skills like her walkovers

Choreographs a dance

Researches music for dances

Dances

Designs costumes on paper for dances (but doesn't actually sew yet)

Watches TV/movies like Dancing With the Stars, SYTYCD, Masterchef, OUAT, Marvel movies, Pirates movies

She's a self-proclaimed gamer girl.  She loves Minecraft, Pokemon, and Zelda especially.  She is currently working her way through the hew release of Twilight Princess as well as the two most recent Pokemon games on the 3DS.  

What does your 15/16 year old daughter like to do when she is alone? Like what does she do in her free time...but by herself.

I have 2 sons and one daughter...and sometimes she is just by herself..but is getting bored with her typical things she likes to do...puzzles, reading, seeing, crafting...so I am looking for some different ideas.

Knitting, sewing, or just making something.  Pinterest is good for ideas.

Music

More reading.

College prep?

1 hour of math approx.

2+ hours of reading (literature, history, science)

1 hour doing work/writing with reading

Electives (typing, computer skills, or whatever interests her) 

So that's about 5-6 hours of school

Physical exercise and getting outdoors would be ideal.

Handcrafts

More reading

Helping around the house.

Is there some kind of semi-big project?  We're finishing our basement and our DD (14) is planning/executing the decorating of her room, helping with painting, etc.

Is she interested in mother's helper?  Volunteering her skills for pay a couple days per week could be a huge blessing to someone.

Doing her own laundry.

Journaling

Gardening - flowers, veggies, or herbs