Menu

If you've been a vegetarian, but added meat back into your diet

Runningmom80

Tell me about it! How did it go? Did you get sick? Are you still an omnivore?

I've been a vegetarian since 2011. I've been battling anemia since 2012. (I also have heavy periods, but I've always had them.) I am also a runner, which makes me more susceptible to anemia. I do not like taking 3 iron pills a day, and I haven't been able to figure this out diet wise in the past 3 years, so I'm considering adding in some meat to my diet.

Me. 

I was vegetarian for about 10 years. Then got pregnant with my oldest,a nd the anemia was kicking my butt. I ended up craving steak, and gave in to the craving. I was just fine as far as side effects or whatever. I ate steak three times a week that pregnancy! (and still needed iron, I was really anemic). After that I kind of went back to vegetarian, then eventually added more meat back in, and now am an omnivore :)  

• Like 1

I was a vegetarian from the time I was about ten until I was twenty-eight. I did not get physically sick when I started eating meat. The worst part for me was psychological. I definitely struggled with random moments of carnivorous revulsion, like I'd be happily eating a chicken (fish or beef) taco and all of the sudden I would just feel completely disgusted. I still, after fifteen years of being an omnivore, have times when I cannot eat, smell, or look at meat for a few months.

My reasons for not eating meat, and then eating it again, where not health related in any way, but I definitely, immediately, profoundly felt a difference in my energy levels once I started. I was probably anemic and didn't realize it and perhaps missing some other essential amino acids and vitamins. It does not take very much meat for me to feel a whole lot better.  

• Like 3

I was a vegetarian for about 10 years too.  But after anemia in both pregnancies and just generally tending toward anemic, I started adding meat back into my diet.  In general, I feel much healthier as an omnivore.  I also had some female/hormonal problems as a vegetarian that I don't have now, my allergies are less severe, my gut health is improved, and I don't have cravings like I used to. 

I still don't eat tons of meat and I eat mostly white meat.  I started slow.  I didn't have any problem reintroducing meat into my diet.

• Like 1

I was a vegetarian for 30 years. When we moved by the ocean, I started eating fish. Last summer, when I was facing surgery for endometrial cancer (things are fine, btw), I started craving chicken. We added chicken into our diet, but only a couple of times a month. I always eat the smallest piece of fish/chicken of anyone in the house, because I just don't need a lot of it. I did not get sick when I started eating chicken again.

I felt queasy the first time I ate shellfish but otherwise, no. I was vegetarian/vegan for years (I tried both at various points). Now I eat anything but am picky about the quality and source of my animal products. I eat very little red meat, in spite of living on a beef farm. Mostly a little fish or chicken, and I like local eggs, local milk (delivered to my doorstep!), and some cheese and yogurt. I did not go from veganism to paleo...that kind of switch would have been too much for me. I started by eating some fish and then much later adding in some chicken and a decade later actually eating beef at times....rare times. I don't like pork much.

Husband is currently vegan, though!!!!

• Like 1

I was a vegetarian for 10 years.  I didn't get sick at all when I started eating meat again for health reasons.  I'm still an omnivore.  I do cook meatless meals for the family on a very regular basis and would happily do so a lot more if I wasn't married to a "meat and potatoes" guy.  I don't think I'd ever go back to being a full-time vegetarian, though.  

• Like 1

I was a vegetarian for about six years or so. When I started eating meat, I began with fish, then poultry. Finally I added back all meats. This was probably over about a period of a year. I never got sick. It was fine. The reason I changed had nothing to do with health - or not much. Back when I was veg, I was younger and still pretty picky - I didn't get over my pickiness until my late 20's. Going back to meat was part of getting over it and definitely led to me eating a more balanced diet. But mostly I just realized that I didn't believe all the things that had made me go veg in the first place. I can remember being worried that I might get sick, but I didn't. Being younger probably had something to do with it. I'm sure most changes you subject your body to in your 20's are really going to come out fine for the most part.

• Like 2

I was vegetarian from 16 to about 22. I was out with friends one night and was hungry and the only thing available was chicken fingers, so I ate some and they were really good. After that I started gradually adding back in different meats. I think I was anemic or something, because I felt better after eating meat. I did not get sick.

• Like 1

It's funny how many of us were vegetarian for 10 years before adding back meat. I wonder if biologically there is a reason for that...like after about a decade you get lower in some nutrient or something?

I bet there is something to that.  B12 is a big one, along with iron. 

I do think a vegetarian or vegan diet can be very healthy, if you eat the right foods.  My husband is a vegetarian and his health is better than ever.  I think it might be harder on women especially because we have the monthly blood loss.

I stopped eating meat 24 yrs ago, and this year I  added fish to my diet.  I eat it maybe once a month with the intention of moving that to more like 4 times a month.  I haven't noticed any odd effects.  Because I've been eating a veg diet for so long, it has been more a matter of getting my head around eating fish and what that means to me.

• Like 1

I was a vegetarian from age 16 to 26. I started adding meat back into my diet to recover from being really sick and losing a lot of weight while living in China. I started with chicken and fish. I added a little bit of pork and beef into my diet when I was about 34. I did end up having to get my gall bladder removed at 36 and I think there may be a connection to consuming meat. I still cannot eat a burger or a steak but beef in sauces or soups is OK but still a little repulsive. I feel my best eating mostly vegetarian with a little fish and chicken in my diet.

I stopped eating meat at 18 (so, 25 years ago), although about 10 years ago I had a cancer scare and started eating fish again. We live on the coast now and I do eat quite a bit of fish, mostly local. Over the past few years I've been thinking about adding some meat (probably just chicken) back into my diet but I haven't done it yet. We have excellent sources of local, humanely raised meat which for me is a huge consideration, so I'm not sure what's holding me back. DH won't eat it and DS has no interest either so that's probably some of my reluctance.

I was a vegetarian from the time I was about ten until I was twenty-eight. I did not get physically sick when I started eating meat. The worst part for me was psychological. I definitely struggled with random moments of carnivorous revulsion, like I'd be happily eating a chicken (fish or beef) taco and all of the sudden I would just feel completely disgusted. I still, after fifteen years of being an omnivore, have times when I cannot eat, smell, or look at meat for a few months.

My reasons for not eating meat, and then eating it again, where not health related in any way, but I definitely, immediately, profoundly felt a difference in my energy levels once I started. I was probably anemic and didn't realize it and perhaps missing some other essential amino acids and vitamins. It does not take very much meat for me to feel a whole lot better.

This, exactly. Right down to the time frames.

DH was the same, with a slightly later start on being veggie. Adding meat back was easier for him because he's the type that says, "I'm going to do X" and then embraces it wholeheartedly. For me, being veg was all wrapped up in my identity so it was tough psychologically.

But worth it. I feel better. But freely admit I could give up all meat in a heartbeat.

DS was veg for the first 14 yrs of his life.

None of us got sick adding meat back into our diets.

I have been a vegetarian for 22 years mostly for ethical reasons.  However, I have and will continue to eat meat when traveling overseas in places where getting vegetarian food is difficult.  I would rather have a little chicken stock or flecks of meat in a dish than stick to a bland diet and avoiding cultural foods.  We also often are guests in people's homes where a language barrier is a factor.  When in Rome (literally and figuratively....).  My dh has also been veggie for 20+ years and dd has been her whole life.  None of us has had a problem with these occasional omnivore phases.  However we also have never sat down and consumed a big slab of meat.  That might be a little more problematic.

I was a vegetarian for several years before adding meat back into my diet due to health reasons.  I had no trouble, although I did have to ease into it very gradually due to the "ick" factor.  I also had a bit of trouble eating meat that I had to prepare.  If someone else did the cooking or we were eating out then I was okay.  I wouldn't mind going vegetarian again now that I've had a hysterectomy and am menopausal, so anemia likely wouldn't be much of an issue, if at all.  But with three meat eaters in the house it's not exactly convenient, and I'd still have the unpleasant (to me) job of cooking meat for them.

Edited by Pawz4me
  • Like 1

Op

Are you taking b12? Have you had your b12 and iron levels tested? Have you tried a different supplement? Some have quite different absorption rates. And there are lots of vegetarian foods that supply iron...

(I was vegetarian since teens, then mostly plant based omni, now we're vegan and I'm not going back... This is primarily an ethics decision for me though.)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Op

Are you taking b12? Have you had your b12 and iron levels tested? Have you tried a different supplement? Some have quite different absorption rates. And there are lots of vegetarian foods that supply iron...

(I was vegetarian since teens, then mostly plant based omni, now we're vegan and I'm not going back... This is primarily an ethics decision for me though.)

Yes, my b12 is always fine. I've been on 3 different supplements. They work beautifully to add the iron back in, but it's always a slow decline back into anemia.

I'd look at some of the tips here then :)

http://www.nomeatathlete.com/iron-for-vegetarians/

I'm familiar. I also read "Thrive" by the guy who started theVega brand. it's about being a vegan and endurance athlete. Nothing works long term.

I should have put a disclaimer that I do not want to be talked out of eating meat. I have a ton of family stress and my anemia mixed with anxiety is causing panic attacks. :(

I appreciate the help, and I understand the desire to help me continue on as a vegetarian. It's just I need at least something in my life to be easy, and I've given it a concerted effort.

Like I said, I should have said that in the OP. :)

I totally understand where you are coming from.When I was a pregnant vegetarian, it was liver I craved.  If you can stomach the idea of it, I found that pastured/grass-fed liver (chicken or beef)  pate' is palatable and can really help with iron.  You can get pate at good delis.  You might find some support in Nina Pollack's books. 

To answer your question: I did not get physically sick when I started eating meat after being veg; it seemed to me my body was needing something other than what I was doing and responded well. I did have some emotional issues, but by being careful about what I purchased & raised (humane etc) I was able to work through it. Good luck as you figure out what your body needs.

Edited by LibraryLover
  • Like 1

My goal is to have fish twice a week and chicken maybe once a week. I ate half an organic chicken finger for dinner tonight and it was not appetizing. 😷

If the goal is iron you may want to look at better sources. I'm not sure fish is a very good source of iron, chicken is slightly better. Really, beef, or chicken liver, would be what I've found to help the most. I realize that may be hard to do emotionally, but it would be the way to go if you are trying to get heme iron into your body. 

As for supplements, hemagenics is the only one that ever worked for me. 

• Like 1

I totally understand where you are coming from.When I was a pregnant vegetarian, it was liver I craved.  If you can stomach the idea of it, I found that pastured/grass-fed liver (chicken or beef)  pate' is palatable and can really help with iron.  You can get pate at good delis.  You might find some support in Nina Pollack's books. 

To answer your question: I did not get physically sick when I started eating meat after being veg; it seemed to me my body was needing something other than what I was doing and responded well. I did have some emotional issues, but by being careful about what I purchased & raised (humane etc) I was able to work through it. Good luck as you figure out what your body needs.

A vegetarian who craved liver.  Weird!   I'm not judging. I am a veg, but I get it. Plus I'd not be opposed to pastured raised liver on a moral level.  But on a visceral one............ wow, weird!  Pregnancy is a mysterious thing.

• Like 1

You might try oysters; they have lots of iron.  I love oysters when I'm pregnant and almost never eat them otherwise.

My general rule with pregnancy is to eat what I crave, or at least a variation of it.  If you are craving fish and chicken, eat that.  If you have a sudden craving for red meat, eat some of that.  Just not too much at a time, and chew thoroughly :)

• Like 1

If the goal is iron you may want to look at better sources. I'm not sure fish is a very good source of iron, chicken is slightly better. Really, beef, or chicken liver, would be what I've found to help the most. I realize that may be hard to do emotionally, but it would be the way to go if you are trying to get heme iron into your body.

As for supplements, hemagenics is the only one that ever worked for me.

Well it's better than nothing so I'm starting there. My doctor thinks it will still help.

I was vegetarian for five years or so in my late teens and early 20s, for ethical reasons.  I stopped mostly because my life was very chaotic at that time and I couldn't really keep it together, especially since I often wasn't feeding myself.  Later I decided the reason I had didn't actually make sense, so I didn't go back to it, though sometimes I am vegetarian in fasting periods.

I didn't have any issues with adding it back in. 

I think I'd just start with what appeals to you, or with what you can find that meets your standards.  I do think a little beef, in the form of something like a marrow broth, can really go a long way to giving a boost.

• Like 1

There is a list at the bottom of this page that lists both meat and non meat foods, and their iron content by serving size. Might be helpful as you navigate this. 

http://www.mckinley.illinois.edu/handouts/dietary_sources_iron.html

Thank you!  I do understand that beef would be the quicker fix, and maybe I'll be able to add in a little bit eventually.  The important thing about the meat addition in my opinion, and my doctor's, is the heme vs non heme issue.  Iron from meat is better absorbed, which is why it is an improvement, despite plant and legume sources seeming to have more.

Edited by Runningmom80
  • Like 1