Menu

Dreaming here: what things would you like done to your home?

I'm forever compiling lists of things I want to do to my home. In no particular order, here is what is currently on my list...

laminate upstairs (I'm currently ripping up old carpet)

update two bathrooms: new showers, sink, countertops, and floor (this is not in the near future)

repaint little girls room purple is on the agenda

redesign layout of kitchen Geez my dh would flip-out if he heard me utter these words This includes, but not limited to ripping out a wall, new cabinets, flooring, counters, and a partridge in a pear tree

kitchen -- rip out the floors, cabinets, and even a small part of a wall and replace everything.

main bathroom -- new floors.

upstairs (converted attic) on a separate air unit -- it's unbearable in the summer.

I'm not sure there's more to be done without adding to the house, lol...

Garage expansion for 2 additional vehicles

Office addition w/ built-in bookshelves

Built in bookshelves on staircase platform (begging DH for this!)

Built-ins for game room, and door to block out noise

Plantation shutters for every window

Inside house completely repainted

Wrought iron staircase to replace broken, wooden spindles

...and an in-ground pool.

Only item DH will agree to is repainting house. He said he'll consider the built-in shelves and pool. IOW, we'll discuss this repeatedly until I call "uncle" and agree to forget it! LOL

We still have a few parts of our remodel that didn't get done before we ran out of money.

I'd like to actually finish the fireplace surround with tile.

Change bathroom counters, refinish tubs. Wallpaper bathrooms.

Move washer/dryer into our garage, convert their current spot inside the house into a small office/desk area.

Yeah, maybe several years from now we'll be able to afford to actually do any of those!

Michelle T

I'm forever compiling lists of things I want to do to my home. In no particular order, here is what is currently on my list...

laminate upstairs (I'm currently ripping up old carpet)

update two bathrooms: new showers, sink, countertops, and floor (this is not in the near future)

repaint little girls room purple is on the agenda

redesign layout of kitchen Geez my dh would flip-out if he heard me utter these words This includes, but not limited to ripping out a wall, new cabinets, flooring, counters, and a partridge in a pear tree

I used to want a real tree growing up through the middle. I even "designed" it when I was a kid. My mom found the drawings and graph paper not long ago. :001_smile:

Bulldozed! After all the stuff was put into the shed of course, it's a big shed. Then Dh can build us a pretty new house from the ground up. Only problem with that plan is the land is in the wrong state.

So let me rephrase, sell the house as is for asking price without hassle and within 30 days and move to a different state. :001_smile:

well, since you asked.

New septic, re-wired. New windows. Siding. Re-do the woodwork throughout. Build out the attic. Add A.C. Add on about 15 feet to the kitchen with a total layout remodel incl a eat in kitchen, sliding glass doors leading out to a wrap-around porch. Add a 2nd full bath on main floor and turn the 1/2 bath into a butler's pantry. Add an adjacent 2 car garage (replacing the model A size goat barn that was advertised as the 2- car garage!! lol.) Add wind/solar power. Get a heat converter (the in-ground heating thingy- can't remember what it's called). Shore up our beautiful old barn/ add a tin roof.

Landscape.

Slowly we are working on our list. Slowly.

Let me count the ways ...

Exhaust fans in all the bathrooms (house built before this was code. I can't stand taking a shower in winter with the window open.)

New downstairs bathroom. The house settled and the shower is off kilter everything is falling apart in there and it is UGLY.

Add a cabinet in the kitchen - need more storage space.

Remove the fake brick from kitchen wall. It has chewed up the backs of my chairs.

Repaint kitchen.

Repaint lower level family room.

Refinish hardwood floors.

New counters in upstairs bathroom.

Ok - that is just the maintenance stuff. If I wanted to go crazy, I'd say - an addition with a main floor bathroom (for my mom), an office and a homeschooling room. But that ain't gonna happen in my tear-down neighborhood.

Dire need:

New deck. It shakes if you walk on it or if the dogs walk on it. The dogs have banged into the railing and bits break off and fall down to the ground one story below. The kids are not allowed on our deck. I do not like to invite people over and if we do the kids are only allowed in our unfenced front yard because of the liability of what might happen if someone disobeys us and plays on the deck. I'm saving money bit by bit. So far I have $1000 "hidden" in our account (I write a fake check to our deck fund in Quicken).

Not quite dire yet:

Kitchen remodel: Even though 4 cabinet doors have literally broken off in my hand, this is not considered a dire need yet.

Not remotely dire:

Hardwood floors in living/dining room. I hate our old stained carpet!

Guest sarathan

Ugh, we have so much!

1. Paint outside

2. Replace bedroom carpets

3. Have hardwood floors refinished.

4. Replace kitchen floor

5. New windows (which will NEVER happen because it's way too much $$$)

6. Our washer and dryer are pretty old and will probably break soon so we'll need to replace those.

7. Paint bathroom and master bedroom.

8. There's probably more I can't even think of!

* I'd like walls back in our master bathroom. It's been *years* :001_huh:

*Pull up the carpet and either refinish the wood underneath or lay something else. I'm convinced it's affecting our kid's allergies/eczema/autoimmune diseases. Dh is not so convinced :tongue_smilie:

*Re-do the kitchen. It's old and falling apart, but not a desperate *need* (just a desperate *want* LOL)

*Divide up a big room downstairs into a family room and extra bedroom so that my 4 girls don't have to share a 9x9, awkwardly planned room.

*Now if I could dream - knock down the wall between the kitchen/dining room. Knock down the deck and build a two story addition: a school room under a sunroom/screened porch.

But really, I would be happy with walls in my bathroom and my kids to stop itching, sneezing, and losing hair, LOL. :tongue_smilie:

ETA: forgot painting. We may actually do this soon: paint the livingroom/entryway.

Sand and refurbish the original 100+ year old oak flooring, relevel the backyard, replace the crumbling driveway and fix the foundation, redo the downstairs powder room including stealing a foot or so from dd's bedroom closet to make the teeny shower stall in the powder room more usable, rtc.

Total kitchen redo including taking out a wall to open it up more. Doesn't have to be top of the line, just nice -- better than it is now.

As part of the above, the flooring (yucky carpet) ripped up in the adjacent living/dining room and wood floors in.

All of that level painted along with the halls.

Redo the screened porch to also include the deck. Make the whole area a 3 season room.

New windows, roof, and siding are needed.

How's that for a list!

I really, really love our house. We bought it new about 18 months ago and it really suits us. But out here in AZ, new houses do not come with back yards, just rocks. So we have a double lot with a trampoline and no vegetation. I really wish we could do our backyard. Dh got a bonus at the end of his fiscal year that we put away. I'd like to take some of it and put in some landscaping and a playset with rubber mulch, but he wants to save it until the economy is back on track and then take out an equity loan for a pool. We can't agree on the best course of action, so for now we have rocks.

Barb

Replace or repair every. square. inch.

Except the square inches we have already replaced or repaired.

We live in a 100+yo fixer-upper. When we first moved in, our highest priority was to replace the support beam that was missing. It had been removed because it was in the way. !!! We have thus far dug out three layers of driveway from the backyard, removed layers upon layers of paint, wallpaper, and cheap, fake woodgrain paneling from the basement walls followed by tuckpointing every square inch of said basement, re-fenced the yard (the old fence literally rippled in the wind), replaced the back porch, replaced every square inch of the kitchen including sub-floor, plumbing, and electric, rewired and replumbed 80% if the house (we found original, live, bare-wire-and ceramic tube electrical wiring), added a half bath, and replaced every square inch of the full bath. We have also painted and camouflaged what we could not immediately repair or replace.

Left to go: Replace all windows. Replace roof. Repair or replace plaster walls/ceilings for living room, dining room, foyer, and entire upstairs. Refinish wood floors throughout house. Replace chimney (just the part on the roof). Strip and refinish wood trim throughout house. Install basement drain and replace basement floor. Landscape weeds . . . uh, I mean yard and garden. And on it goes . . .

:banghead:

These are the things that I would like to see done, probably the first few will happen, but then after that, who knows what....

New dishwasher

New water softener

shed for our lawn stuff

Things that need to be done, but are more long term plans....

new windows,

wood floors in main living area

tear out a wall in the kitchen and make a peninsula/ bar area and new cabinets. This won't be hard to do, but cabinets and countertops would be more expensive.

Phlox

1. Pergo flooring in my living room and hall

2. Painting all the rooms except the kitchen which was recently done

3. Backsplash in the kitchen with circular tiles made from recycled glass

4. Solar panels

5. Update bathrooms

6. New windows

7. New light fixtures

8. Build a garage and finish the attic upstairs to turn it into a room, extend it to have it connect to the garage.

9. Make a sun room out of my back porch.

Well, I rent so my dreams are unlikely to come true....however, what I would relaly like to do is turn my suburban home into a mini farm, and dig up all the gardens and plant fruit trees and vegetable gardens, extend our chook run, that sort of thing. The house is fine except that I would probably go wild with paint if it was mine.