Menu

Bill vs Pit Bull

Spy Car

You would have put yourself at risk for being sued by doing what you said you would if it had been your dog. Fast apologizing + offering to pay vet bills = putting yourself at risk of litigation.

Maybe just maybe this is one part of the reasons why many people have lost common decency and good will towards others.....fear of looking guilty and being sued. It's sad. It's not advancement for a society. It's a loss. 

Having your dog attack someone else's dog = putting yourself at risk of litigation.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hope your hand is healing.

Having a 13 y.o. daughter, I have to say when I saw the title I thought it was going to be about the Cuban-American singer/rapper, LOL! My daughter just LOOOOOVES that Spanglish "El Taxi" song right now. I met her in the back seat of a taxi/on the way to the club...

• Like 3

Woke up in a little pain this morning. I think I've done some injury around the lower joint in my right thumb. Barely noticed this yesterday. This morning it hurts.

The beauty part is Lacrosse season starts tomorrow, so I (the coach of the team) get to teach a bunch of 11 and 12 year olds (remind me again why we call this the Logic Stage?) stick skills with a jacked up thumb. Oh joy! 

As to parks, we're really fortunate. Around here there are the "official" dog parks that are double gated and tend to attract out of control dogs with clueless owners. Bad scene. But we live near a local "semi-secret" unofficial off leash thats been around about 25 years. Technically it is not a "dog park." But there are pooper scoopers everywhere (provided by our dog community donations) and the city is fully aware of the situation, turning a blind-eye to a good scene. Unlike the "official" parks, this one has open breaches in the fencing, this means dogs that are there need to be trained. As a consequence we get good dogs with responsible owners.

Even yesterday, Rocky's owner was not an idiot. He might have been too shocked in the moment to be a lot of help ending the situation, but he was very sorry and shocked about what happened and wanted to do the right thing. Not some gang-banger with a pit-bull on a chain to enhance his sense of machismo. I suspect he rescued the dog with the idea of giving him a good life (and maybe keeping him from being killed). All good with me, I love dogs.

With a Vizsla, if you're familiar with the breed. you'll know they need to run daily. Chester is poetry in motion. So fast. So agile. I get so much pleasure seeing him run. I think psychiatrist call this "projection."

Not getting out, is not optional. Which is why I went out with an awful cold in the first place.

I'm a mess. Getting old...better than the alternative :p

Bill

• Like 9

Bill, I'm glad you and Chester are okay, but my heart sank when I read your post. Breaking up a dog fight can be deadly. I know.

I've alluded in the past on this forum to the fact that my mother died a horrible, accidental death. The truth is it was preventable. If she had called someone or let it go instead of trying to break it up, she'd be here today to see those great-grandkids (my brother's grandkids), twins who were barely 4 months old then and are almost 8 years old now.

Please, never try to break up a dog fight. I'm going to out myself (my maiden name) now. If it saves someone it's worth it. Notice none of the dogs were pit bulls any other aggressive breed. Do not click if you are squeamish.

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2008-06-28/news/maul28_1_titusville-animal-services-third-dog

Edited by Lady Florida
  • Like 7

Are there owners in there too?  I'm not seeing the difference.

http://maclaineuk.photoshelter.com/image/I0000.KtZhi.Sskg

All of the dog park I have seen irl are small (the size of a suburban house lot), fenced in areas that a million dogs have been through. So, to the dogs, it's like sensory overload with all the smells. It's a place, ime, where ppl think it's fine to let their dogs, who are not under voice control in the first place, go ape. My dog has been attacked twice, by two different dogs, both after their owners standing by the fence said "he's friendly."  My dog *is* friendly and has never shown any aggression at all, dog, ppl, cat, chicken, food or otherwise.

They are appealing though because like one time we went and our dog got to frisk and frolic with a fun dog. It warmed the heart. But it's not worth it.

We've never taken our dog to a dog park because the silly boy (my avatar) is afraid of dogs.  :lol:  He loves cats, but dogs terrify him. Even a little ankle biter that he knew since he was a puppy would have him hiding behind one of us when family would all bring their dogs to the in-laws for all day gatherings. We would all bring them so no one would have to leave early to let their dog(s) out or feed them.

Edited by Lady Florida
  • Like 2

Bill, I'm glad you and Chester are okay, but my heart sank when I read your post. Breaking up a dog fight can be deadly. I know.

I've alluded in the past on this forum that my mother died a horrible, accidental death. The truth is it was preventable. If she had called someone or let it go instead of trying to break it up, she'd be here today to see those great grandkids (my brother's grandkids) who were barely 4 months old then and are almost 8 years old now.

I'm going to out myself (my maiden name) now. If it saves someone it's worth it. Notice none of the dogs were pit bulls any other aggressive breed. Do not click if you are squeamish.

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2008-06-28/news/maul28_1_titusville-animal-services-third-dog

Wow. Terrible story. So sorry for your loss.

Breaking up dog fights is dangerous. I know a guy, a huge body-builder/personal-trainer, who nearly lost a finger recently breaking up a fight between two of his German Shepards. If it were me I'd have followed doctor's advice and had it amputated (it was that bad). We'll see how much use he gets out of what's they stitched together.

I was very mindful of the danger. I had the pit-bull hanging from his ankles in mid-air. He wouldn't release. Chester is family. so I took the risk. I knew it was dangerous move.

Stories like your mom's highlight the risks of breaking up dog fights. It must be very painful for you   :grouphug:

Bill

• Like 10

I've alluded in the past on this forum to the fact that my mother died a horrible, accidental death. The truth is it was preventable. If she had called someone or let it go instead of trying to break it up, she'd be here today to see those great-grandkids (my brother's grandkids), twins who were barely 4 months old then and are almost 8 years old now.

Please, never try to break up a dog fight. I'm going to out myself (my maiden name) now. If it saves someone it's worth it. Notice none of the dogs were pit bulls any other aggressive breed. Do not click if you are squeamish.

:grouphug: :grouphug:

Wow. Terrible story. So sorry for your loss.

Breaking up dog fights is dangerous. I know a guy, a huge body-builder/personal-trainer, who nearly lost a finger recently breaking up a fight between two of his German Shepards. If it were me I'd have followed doctor's advice and had it amputated (it was that bad). We'll see how much use he gets out of what's they stitched together.

I was very mindful of the danger. I had the pit-bull hanging from his ankles in mid-air. He wouldn't release. Chester is family. so I took the risk. I knew it was dangerous move.

Stories like your mom's highlight the risks of breaking up dog fights. It must be very painful for you   :grouphug:

Bill

I think I'm a little less concerned that you jumped in to save your Chester, and more concerned that your general love and grace for dogs is preventing you from reporting the incident. The next person may not be so lucky, Bill. The next person might be a kid who loves their dog as much as you love Chester, but doesn't have the ability to win against a pit bull. 

• Like 10

:grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:   How utterly heartbreaking!  I am so sad for you and your family.

One of my mom's closest friends lost a part of her face to a rottweiler that was very sweet, never had attacked anyone before.  I love dogs with all my heart but any animal can be unpredictable (humans, too).

So glad you and Chester are o.k. Bill.  Please keep a close eye on your wounds.  Good luck today.  

• Like 1

I am very sorry for your loss. Thank you for sharing.

So sorry for your loss.

:grouphug:  :crying:  :grouphug:

• Like 1

I think I'm a little less concerned that you jumped in to save your Chester, and more concerned that your general love and grace for dogs is preventing you from reporting the incident. The next person may not be so lucky, Bill. The next person might be a kid who loves their dog as much as you love Chester, but doesn't have the ability to win against a pit bull. 

Here is where I need to make a judgement call. Trust me, attacking my dog out-of-the blue is not the way to get on my good side. 

However, I've asked around and have received nothing but good reports about Rocky from other park regulars. No previous acts of aggression. This was the owners assertion as well, and it was clear to me his shock was genuine. People will be on alert. Our community is self-policing and aggressive dogs are banned.

Dogs sometimes get into altercations. When one of the dogs is a pit-bull the hammer tends to fall hard. Reporting a dog could lead to very serious consequences. If I felt he dog was a general danger or the owner was irresponsible idiot, I'd take a different course.

I'm also aware that while this was a bad incident, and scared my dog badly, that Chester's ear was not punctured. So Rocky, who did have a firm grasp, also showed restraint. With his jaw power he could easily punctured and even torn the ear flaps had he not self-limited. I am not convinced at this juncture that this is a "dangerous dog." Reporting a pit-bull can lead to very serious consequences, including potential impoundment and the dog being put down. My judgement is reporting the dog could have consequences that don't fit the crime. I respect that you may disagree. But this is a call I need to make.

Bill

• Like 17

Oh dear. I remember when this happened. I am so sorry for your loss.

:grouphug: I am so sorry.

Are there owners in there too?  I'm not seeing the difference.

http://maclaineuk.photoshelter.com/image/I0000.KtZhi.Sskg

In my experience dog parks are generally smaller and always fenced in the US. This tends to mean owners let their dogs off lead with less training (I can't think of a better word) than an owner would here. In my experience people love to go inside the fence and let their dogs play. Dogs run free in our parks/footpaths pretty often if the owner knows the dog will return when called which I think is a behavior standard that may get skipped at dog parks. The lack of fencing means and unleashed dog can run for miles so the dogs do have an added level of training that go off lead. For instance we went for a long countryside walk today and a cute little spaniel ran right back to his owner to get his leash on when he saw us.

Bill, before I forget I am glad you are both OK.

• Like 1

Glad you and your dog are okay. This makes me nervous about taking my Nya to the dog park for the first time. We've been really excited for a while now.. but I'm nervous with her around other dogs anyway. She is the sweetest lab/PIT mix ever and is scared of everything! I spent 20 minutes trying to get her into the vets office because there was a little 5lb dog by the door :lol: She's 75 lbs! I'm not worried about her... just the other dogs.

I will admit to being anti-pit. Any dog can bite, attack, and seriously harm. However, I firmly believe that pits can often be unstable. I've never personally met one that wasn't psychotic. Sweet at times, could become dangerous at a flip of a switch.

At dog parks?? The several fights I've seen have involved pits( tho one was 2 labs). It saddens me to see so many dogs at shelters that are pit-mixed.

A friend of ours from our Army family days is the daughter of a pit bull breeder. She gets beyond furious about how so many irresponsible breeders don't do careful enough screening of the folks who purchase the dogs. She swears up and down that pits are great family dogs if they are properly socialized, trained, and well-treated by their owners. Unfortunately, too often the owners are irresponsible and that's what gives the breed such a bad reputation.

• Like 1

Yes he is. I read up on the breed after your post about him.....sounds like a great dog to own.

Not necessarily. Vizslas are off-the-charts in their need for physical exercise. mental exercise/training/stimulation, and are very emotionally needy. I can't think of another breed that is as maxed out in all three areas.

They are affectionate (in the extreme) and ultra-athletic, but they are a breed with major needs. If one loves these qualities, yes a great dog to own. But I usually warn people who are struck by their beauty that Vizslas are a lot of work. Well run, provided mental stimulation, and given love they are great dogs. If these things are neglected they could be a nightmare.

Most people really don't want dogs that are this high maintenance. Vs are an extreme case.

There is not a dog I'd rather own. But....

Bill 

• Like 6

Not necessarily. Vizslas are off-the-charts in their need for physical exercise. mental exercise/training/stimulation, and are very emotionally needy. I can't think of another breed that is as maxed out in all three areas.

They are affectionate (in the extreme) and ultra-athletic, but they are a breed with major needs. If one loves these qualities, yes a great dog to own. But I usually warn people who are struck by their beauty that Vizslas are a lot of work. Well run, provided mental stimulation, and given love they are great dogs. If these things are neglected they could be a nightmare.

Most people really don't want dogs that are this high maintenance. Vs are an extreme case.

Bill 

Uh, yeah. I'll take the exact opposite. What would that be... a cat?  :D

In all seriousness, Chester is a gorgeous animal. I'm glad you're both ok.

Bill

Sounds like my Brittany. She has been a great dog. She is old now.

• Like 1

I am so very sorry for your loss. How traumatic. :(

• Like 1

Uh, yeah. I'll take the exact opposite. What would that be... a cat?  :D

In all seriousness, Chester is a gorgeous animal. I'm glad you're both ok.

I've read of couples headed for divorce because they had no idea what they were getting into when they decided to get a Vizsla (because ain't they cute?) and they start using terms like "spawn of Satan" when the under-exercised, under-stimulated, and emotionally needy Vizsla turns destructive. 

Raising a child is easier.

Bill

Edited by Spy Car
  • Like 3

Our unofficial off leash is about 29 acres, about half of which is lovely tended grass and trees. The other half is "the wild side" where there is brush and trails. Hunting dogs like mine enjoy both sides. Some owners don't allow their dogs on the wild side, but still there is plenty of park.

Being unofficial the park is not gated. There are fence railings (with openings) along the street, which any dog could get through (or under) if it wanted. So only people who can control their dogs come there.

No gates make this a nice place to bring well trained canines. If they added double gates and high fences the park would be ruined in no time.

Bill

• Like 2

I've read of couples headed for divorce because they had no idea what they were getting into when they decided to get a Vizsla (because ain't why cute?) and they start using terms like "spawn of Satan" when the under-exercised, under-stimulated, and emotionally needy Vizsla turns destructive. 

Raising a child is easier.

Bill

I knew a family with a Weimaraner who were the same way.  I used to take that dog out whenever I was visiting.  The dog loved me.  He would give me little love nips which hurt like anything.  I trained him out of that too.  ;)  I was relieved for the dog's sake when the breeder took him back. 

You make it sound like the owner actually sent his dog to attack. Good grief.

It doesn't matter if you meant the dog to attack, the car to crash while you were drunk, or the unsecured gun to get borrowed by a pre-teen.

That is only going to change the severity of the sentence.

You are absolutely responsible for your dog if it attacks another and frankly, while I don't believe that civil suits are always necessary, it is the attitude of... "It was an accident!" That really causes people to seek legal recourse.

Your dog, your gun, your car, I am not opposed to you having any of these but you are responsible if they are used to harm me because you have not taken reasonable measures to ensure they are properly cared for and used or in the case of a dog, minded.

• Like 7

I knew a family with a Weimaraner who were the same way.  I used to take that dog out whenever I was visiting.  The dog loved me.  He would give me little love nips which hurt like anything.  I trained him out of that too.  ;)  I was relieved for the dog's sake when the breeder took him back. 

My previous dog was a Weimaraner named Cosmo. Love those dogs too. Very similar to Vizslas (I'm sure they share blood-lines), but bigger.

Cosmo was an extreme athlete. Very unusual case, even among an athletic breed. To get his daily ration of exercise we had to turn running him with 3 or 4 sets of highly conditioned horses (knackering the horses in the process). My girlfriend at the time was an equestrian and we turned the necessity into a horse conditioning business where we took care of some of the most competitive hunter/jumpers, 3 day event horses, and elite polo ponies in Los Angeles. 

Cosmo would outrun these horses even when they were at a full gallop, not an easy feat when one is pushing a thoroughbred to its limits. 

Owners of these very expensive horses were thrilled at the phenominal conditioning their horses were getting, and the muscles that packed on. We didn't let on that we were using their horses to condition our dog :D

After 3 or 4 sets of long runs, with long gallops, cantering up mountain sides, really running the horses until they were lathered up hard, the dog would come back to the barns and run around the paddocks like a dog that had been pent up all day. He was an 8 hour a day dog. Exhausting! :D

In comparison, Chester is easy. Cosmo was one in a million.

Bill

• Like 5

Yep.

It doesn't matter how 'well behaved' the dog has been in the past. 

I'm appalled, actually, that it wasn't reported. 

Me too.

You do not know the dog at the park well enough to make a "judgment" call.   The dog actually attacked, and there is no justifying it.  The incident needs to be reported.

It's too bad if you think the penalties for the dog may be too harsh, that's not a good enough reason to not report it. 

• Like 3

Yes, people should be able to assume that your animal is under your control if you chose to take it outside of your house.

In this situation, not only was the dog aggressive, the owner was unable to control it, either physically or verbally, and a grown man had to put himself in harm's way to bring the attack to an end.

I abhor animal owners who can't or won't keep their animals under control. Such owners need to keep animals inside, or leased and/or muzzled at the very least.

Things went wrong in a flash. I was standing right there. The owner was prattling along right behind his dog with a big smile on his face and looking to enjoy a lovely day in the park.

I don't believe for a moment he expected things to go wrong. Sometime young male dogs that are roughly the same size and physically well-matched clash. That not a great situation, but it happens. 

Being trapping indoors is no life for an active young dog. The other guy is now aware of the potential problem, and I trust will take extra precaution. Controlling dogs who are locked in a fight isn't easy, and I was the better man for the job this time.

The dog has from all report always been cool previously. Getting banned would be a huge loss, as this the best place for dogs around—by far. He knows that as well as I do.

As I said, the community is self-policing and very on top of turning out aggressive dogs.

Bill 

• Like 4

Me too.

You do not know the dog at the park well enough to make a "judgment" call.   The dog actually attacked, and there is no justifying it.  The incident needs to be reported.

It's too bad if you think the penalties for the dog may be too harsh, that's not a good enough reason to not report it. 

I don't know the dog, but many of my closest comrades do. All gave good reports, and were highly surprised (understatement) that he attacked Chester.

Knowing that reporting the dog could lead to big problems, including the dog being put down (in the worst case) I'm comfortable with my decision. There will be many eyes on Rocky.

Bill

• Like 6

I don't know the dog, but many of my closest comrades do. All gave good reports, and were highly surprised (understatement) that he attacked Chester.

Knowing that reporting the dog could lead to big problems, including the dog being put down (in the worst case) I'm comfortable with my decision. There will be many eyes on Rocky.

Bill

Not reporting the dog could lead to problems. Obviously since you don't know the dog or owner, it's not such a tight community that every dog owner will know to watch out for Rocky. How would you feel if through the grapevine you later hear that Rocky seriously hurt or killed another dog after his altercation with your dog? I would feel responsible. I would feel relieved to report so as to no longer hold onto that responsibility, and then hope for the best for Rocky.

• Like 2

Give it a rest-- fences do not a dog prison make. How on earth would a fenced area ruin a dog park? Your statement about no gates make it a nice place for well trained dogs is pretty damn condescending. I've been to 3 dog parks in Texas, they were several acres, fenced, with trees, ponds, and a walking path. The dogs run off to chase their pals, and the owners sit in the shade or walk the paths. The gates are situated so that a dog can't easily leave when a person is exiting.

While my dog responds to our voice, she's also super happy to chase other dogs like a maniac, and if the park wasn't fenced, what's to keep them from running into traffic, especially if the park is large enough to lose sight of each other? Unfortunately, I don't run as fast as Buffy. And Buffy is there to run with other dogs, swim, and smell as many rears as possible, not stay by my side, so I am quite pleased to have those fences. I'm guessing most dog park attendees are, even the snooty ones...

I'll tell you how fences have created problems in the official dog parks around here.

1) People bring dogs that have absolutely no training, and no recall to parks. This isn't the end of the world, if there isn't a problem. But with a lot of untrained dogs, and owners of untrained dogs (because really it is a people problem when dogs are not trained) tensions mount more quickly. Fights are common. People and dog.

2) At some parks people actually leave their dogs. No kidding. They do a drop off, and go run errands. You'd think this couldn't happen, but it is true.

3) Dog walkers will show up with a van full of dogs. I stopped by what was once a lovely unofficial park recently (having good memories of going there in the past). I was horrified. There were about 70 dogs gated in and about 10 adults. The ground was bare dirt (it had been lovely grass in decades past) and the place had a stench of feces and urine.

4) Where there are high fences and double gates people don't NEED to keep an eye at all times on their dogs, so they don't. At our park owners are keen to watch their dogs, and look out for one another. Poop is picked up and problems are few. There is nothing, aside from impartial fencing, to keep a dog running into the street. So people that do not have well trained dogs don't come to this park. That significantly reduces the people problem. 

Our park would be over run if there were gates and fences. It would look like the rest of the "official parks" around here: shabby. The community is close knit and the dogs run on lush green grass. 

The official parks here are hell zones. I would not risk taking my dog there. I'm certain there are lovely official parks in many locales. Not here. Very irresponsible people have ruined the official dog parks. No one who takes his or her dog to our park would dream of going to the official park. It is that bad. Trust me.

Bill

• Like 5

I would want a paper trail on the dog just to ease my mind, unless I knew the owner was working with a qualified trainer.

(The owner may take the dog to other places, homes etc. or he might even re-home the dog in the future.  There are so many people who just don't know how to properly train a dog... even with the best intentions and lots of love they put other pets and people at risk.)

• Like 2

What kind of dog attacks another dog with no provocation and won't stop attacking even when suspended in the air by his hindquarters, necessitating a human literally prying its jaws open? A dangerous dog. To me, that behavior automatically puts it in a dangerous category. Doesn't matter that it could have been worse. What it did was bad enough to make it dangerous.

If my dog bit another dog and tore its ear, I'd be mortified and would do what I could to make sure my dog didn't do it again. But if my dog bit another dog and wouldn't let go, to the point someone had to pry it off, I'd put it down.

• Like 3