Menu

Wegman's is coming. Should I be excited?

momofkhm

I just saw a news article that my town is in preliminary talks with Wegman's.  It would be close enough that I could actually reasonably shop there, sometimes.  Too far to be my all time place to go.  But is it really great?

I do most of my shopping now at Trader Joe's.  And I can go to Publix.  Harris Teeter is an old standard.

Love, love, love Wegmans!  I find the prices of regular groceries competitive. They have a great selection of upscale "take home" food, which is also reasonably priced, and they have nice specialty sections.  Actually, all of it is reasonably priced, but that doesn't mean that I could afford to shop in the fancier sections regularly.  FUN store! We don't have one near us, but my (older) children love shopping there when visiting relatives.

• Like 2

I absolutely love Wegmans, but there isn't one near us so we only get to them when visiting others.  Their fresh produce almost always outshines what we can get, they tend to have a huge variety of all sorts of things to choose from, and their prices are competitive.  Usually at stores (like Publix) where there is a decent variety, the prices are a bit higher than what I'm used to.

If a Wegmans were to open up near us, I'd switch in a heartbeat.  At this point, the closest one is close to an hour away - compared to 5 minutes for my local store and 15 minutes to a Super Wally World or Giant.

• Like 1

We have a new one just up the pike.

We go there for date night on occasion.

Says it all, doesn't it? :lol:

(Either about the store or the lameness of our dates!)

No, really--we don't shop there regularly because it's on the higher end of the price range around here, but the selection is GREAT and the store is really nice--clean, interesting "extras" (like a smoothie ingredients "bar" and lots of organic produce, and prepared foods that are wonderful), and it's big and beautiful!

• Like 3

Nah. That would be Aldis!

:leaving:

Heh. I'm not a huge Aldi's fan either. It's value, I guess. Wegman's is just... I do not get the hoopla. I guess their baked goods are nice, but I don't go to the grocery for many prepared foods. And everything else is just a regular grocery store. Oh, and a bunch of random home goods - they sell more plates and so forth. But, again, not the main grocery store thing in my view.

• Like 1

Nah. That would be Aldis!

:leaving:

I liked your post since I sort of agree with it, but Aldi's doesn't have good prepared foods.  ;)

Actually, the couple of times I've been in Aldi's it hasn't had any appeal to me whatsoever, so I really fail to see the love.

It all goes to show just how different we Boardies can be - and how different preferences keep the world running!

• Like 1

There is a Wegmans along one of my longer weekly treks.  I've been in twice now, once to shop, once to eat on the run.  If it weren't for the fact that I have a fantastic local/locally-owned supermarket, I'd be pretty impressed with Wegmans.  I was originally very excited to discover that option and figured the hype meant it was better than my usual, but it really wasn't.

Now, if my store didn't exist, or still only existed in its previous incarnation (they upscaled a few years ago,) and I were left with something like Giant or Weis, I'd be all over switching.

There is a Wegmans along one of my longer weekly treks.  I've been in twice now, once to shop, once to eat on the run.  If it weren't for the fact that I have a fantastic local/locally-owned supermarket, I'd be pretty impressed with Wegmans.  I was originally very excited to discover that option and figured the hype meant it was better than my usual, but it really wasn't.

Now, if my store didn't exist, or still only existed in its previous incarnation (they upscaled a few years ago,) and I were left with something like Giant or Weis, I'd be all over switching.

I like Wegmans for things I can only find at Whole Foods or can't find anywhere else. So depending on what you normally purchase it could be very exciting as it is cheaper then Whole Foods and you don't have to purchase online. 

However if you eat the standard american diet and don't need many speciality things on a regular basis, you would likely not be impressed by it. 

I am pretty sure I know where you live, because I saw that same article yesterday.  Let's just say I'm very jealous.  I live, oh, about an hour west of said proposed Wegman's, and all we have in our town are Food Lion, Walmart and luckily, a small food co-op/natural foods store where some nice things can be purchased.  Anyhow, I'm so tired of having to drive to other cities to grocery shop!  Can I just say, let's spread the grocery goodness around! 

Edited by Serenade

You should be excited, but expect to spend more money. I ALWAYS spend more at Wegman's than Trader Joe's or Food Lion. ALWAYS. Part of that is because they have higher quality items that just cost more. I enjoy Wegman's, but I don't do my main staple shopping there. I go for the food court as much as the groceries :-)

I like Trader Joe's but I'd get Wegman's produce every time over that. Is it just me or does Trader Joe's fruit seem like it's often at the end of its lifespan? Aside for that, Trader Joe's seems cheaper to me. 

I bet the stores really vary though, too, you could fit 10 trader Joe's in the space of the local Wegman's, so the selection can't really be compared.

Edited by tm919