Miss Peregrine

Baked beans

Baked potatoes

Corn on the cob or Mexican grilled corn

Corn pudding

green beans/green bean casserole

Macaroni and cheese

corn bread

This is what I would have said. Plus coleslaw, even though it's cold.

For our family, it's Mac and cheese, baked beans, and corn bread or corn on the cob. I'm the only one who eats coleslaw so I don't get it very often.

• Like 2

We usually do mac-n-cheese, green beans, Brunswick stew. (Sorry, no recipe; we get it from a restaurant.) And cole slaw for cold. We generally skip bread.

Ooh, I see Southern Ivy mentioned potatoes. We used to go to a bbq place that smoked the potatoes then split and topped them with butter, cheese, pulled pork, bbq sauce, sour cream. It was so yummy! I miss that dish. :drool:

• Like 3

Thanks for all the ideas. I've never made it before. I'm going to make mashed potatoes and a mushroom ragu, since I have those on hand and I don't want to go out in this storm.

What is a mushroom ragu, tell me right now.  LOL  Are you talking about a tomato (spaghetti) sauce with mushrooms?  Does it go over the potatoes?  Sorry, saw "mushrooms" and had to know what you were making!   :laugh:

Ooh, I see Southern Ivy mentioned potatoes. We used to go to a bbq place that smoked the potatoes then split and topped them with butter, cheese, pulled pork, bbq sauce, sour cream. It was so yummy! I miss that dish. :drool:

This reminds me - I love to put pulled pork (w/BBQ sauce) on top of a sweet potato and butter. There's something about the sweet and tangy!

• Like 3

This reminds me - I love to put pulled pork (w/BBQ sauce) on top of a sweet potato and butter. There's something about the sweet and tangy!

We just do a regular baked potato. Salt and pepper the baked potato, load up on butter, pour on the pork and sauce, and add cheddar cheese on top. So yummy!

• Like 1

black beans

warm (or cold) potato salad

green things -- warm or cold. (green beans any way, etc.)

The various forms of corn suggested all sound good to me. :) 

I like the black beans. :)

I'm making pulled pork for 50 in a couple weeks. I will be stealing the corn pudding idea. That's easy and yummy and will be perfect!

(Last year, FWIW, when we did it for 50 -- robotics team -- we did the pork, rolls, potato salads, green salads, and I think that's it. This year, I think we'll do the corn pudding, rolls, green salad, and maybe black beans, but maybe not, because I'm making CA style tacos the next month and will be making the black beans for that.) 

MMmmmm

The last 2 times I've made pulled pork I've served it with papaya salsa, it is divine so much better than bbq sauce or such(my veggie hating husband eats it up). Baked beans are also a favorite as well, traditionally we've done slaw as well but the papaya salsa has supplanted it. 

You are making me hungry!  :drool5:

I was making myself hungry last night, too! :) 

We just do a regular baked potato. Salt and pepper the baked potato, load up on butter, pour on the pork and sauce, and add cheddar cheese on top. So yummy!

I've done that, too. Also, super good with home fries or as pork nachos. YUM!

• Like 2

What is a mushroom ragu, tell me right now. LOL Are you talking about a tomato (spaghetti) sauce with mushrooms? Does it go over the potatoes? Sorry, saw "mushrooms" and had to know what you were making! :laugh:

c

Sorry, just saw this. Mushrooms, cooked down with garlic and wine. Stir some mascarpone in at the end. Heavenly! Do you want the recipe?

Pulled pork is such a basic dish you should be able dress it up a near infinite number of ways. For instance...

BBQ w/ : hushpuppies, vinegar slaw, brunswick stew, collards, baked beans, overcooked green beans, creamed corn, sweet potato w/ brown sugar

Carnitas w/: tortillas, black beans, rice, guac, pico de gallo, chipotle sweet potatoes

Kalua Pork: rice, macaroni salad,mango papaya salsa relish thing

German Fusion: sauteed rotkohl or kraut, hot german potato salad, mustard, maybe even some kind of knodel

Japanese fusion: Soba noodles, seaweed salad, rice, pickled veggies

Pulled pork is so yummy and if you don't care about being trad you can swap it in for some cutlet recipes as well.

Edited by raptor_dad
  • Like 1

Yes, please! I've finally got my family hooked on garlic. My next goal is for them to love mushrooms! :)

My 13 yo hated mushrooms- until she tried this.

2 T extra virgin olive oil

2 T shallot, minced( not green onion. My grocer always told me they were the same thing. :/)

5 cloves garlic, roughly chopped

1.5 lbs mushrooms(cremini is suggested but my store never has those. I used a combo of button and baby bellas)

2 t thyme, minced

1/4 c dry Marsala

2 T mascarpone cheese

Salt and pepper

Parsley for garnish.

Heat oil in large saute' pan over medium heat and add shallot. Cook for 5 minutes until shallot is a deep, golden brown. Add garlic and cook 2 more minutes, until softened. Add mushrooms and thyme. Saute' 8-10 minutes.

Pour in wine and scrape pan to loosen any stuck-on bits. Cook for 2-3 minutes until most of the liquid is evaporated. Stir in mascarpone. Add salt and pepper.

So good!