Menu

I need something new and shiny

SparklyUnicorn

After 9 years of using most of the same stuff...what's new out there?  Something fun...interesting (secular).  For 10 year old.

Any subject....

That doesn't cost a million dollars.  Was looking at Bookshark which yes looks nice, but WAY too expensive.

I am using Bookshark Eastern Hemisphere--bought the guide from Bookshark and all the readers, etc from Thriftbooks, Definitely more reasonable that way.  Also I was able to pick and choose the books, we are not using all of them.

We just started using Mapping the World with Art last week, and that has been a big hit with my boys (11 and 13) so far.  I got myself a sketch book also and am doing the map drawing along with them.  

Listening in for other new and shiny suggestions.  Ooh, shiny....

• Like 1

I am using Bookshark Eastern Hemisphere--bought the guide from Bookshark and all the readers, etc from Thriftbooks, Definitely more reasonable that way.  Also I was able to pick and choose the books, we are not using all of them.

We just started using Mapping the World with Art last week, and that has been a big hit with my boys (11 and 13) so far.  I got myself a sketch book also and am doing the map drawing along with them.  

Listening in for other new and shiny suggestions.  Ooh, shiny....

Oh see I didn't see an option to just buy the guide. 

I'll have to go back there and look.

What about a tablet or a laptop for the 10year old?

Perhaps a subscription to ReadingAZ? They have a large selection of non-fiction readers. But they may not be literature-rich enough for your liking, personally we've really been pleased with the website and use it with all 3.

We are switching up writing for the rest of the year.  We'll be starting Usborne: Write & Draw Your Own Comics after Christmas.

I found them cheaply new on Amazon.  So far, it looks like there's a decent amount covered (plot, dialogue, character, etc).  I bought 3 -- one for each kiddo and one for mommy to use alongside them.  ;)

Those Daybooks look really promising!!!  Especially the reading one...

• Like 2

I'm hoping Layers of Learning is finished soon.

http://www.layers-of-learning.com/

I think year 3 is almost finished, and year 4 is still being promised sooner rather than later.

If you need new and shiny, these ebooks can make a fantastic reference library, even when you move onto another new and shiny.

I used some of Volume 1 for Wayfarers and think this is going to be a very popular curriculum when it is complete. The author is grounded, prolific, and in the trenches fieldtesting this on her own tribe of real kids. I expect this to blow Tapestry of Grace right out of the water.

http://barefootmeandering.com/site/wayfarers/

• Like 4

You probably know about Life of Fred for math, but when I introduced them to my son he couldn't get enough of the wacky storyline!

Otherwise letting him use the computer to learn digital skills might be fun - anything from graphic design to stop motion animation or programming. You can find loads of cheap or free resources. And then once he has those skills you can let him use them to do assignments eg a country report via google slides. Or creating a simple e-book.

• Like 1

I don't know how new it is to you, Sparkles, but my kids are geeking out over Prodigy Math. Free! Or, $9/month for the membership which gives the player more options. (Honestly, the free version is just fine! My kids complain because their character can't wear certain clothes unless they are members, etc).

This looks super fun!

Do you create assignments and pick material you are working on or what's the best way to run this?

We'll try it free for awhile, but then I might have to go ahead with a membership so they can get to the treasure chests and explore the dark tower.

• Like 1

This looks super fun!

Do you create assignments and pick material you are working on or what's the best way to run this?

We'll try it free for awhile, but then I might have to go ahead with a membership so they can get to the treasure chests and explore the dark tower.

You can do both! It has an algorithm that places the player at a certain grade level and feeds them assignments based on that placement. You can also set assignments. Those assignments can be set for specific dates, and will come before the grade level stuff.

I use it as spiral review. Every week, I set assignments for each of my kids. Those assignments revolve around whatever review topics I want them to cover.

• Like 1

You can do both! It has an algorithm that places the player at a certain grade level and feeds them assignments based on that placement. You can also set assignments. Those assignments can be set for specific dates, and will come before the grade level stuff.

I use it as spiral review. Every week, I set assignments for each of my kids. Those assignments revolve around whatever review topics I want them to cover.

Super cool!

Thanks Sweetpea and OP!

And I wasn't even looking for anything new and shiny!

Score!!

• Like 1

I subscribed to Melscience too. I'm trying to figure out why they recommend age 12 and up and then show kids younger than that in the video. I also am wondering if they explain much of the science or if it's just yet another glorified demo science kit. I watched a couple of the videos, and they mention the science very briefly and then refer back to the website for more details, but I can't find more details. So, I'm cautious about it for now, but joined so I can see for myself.

Edited by deerforest
  • Like 3

I subscribed to Melscience too. I'm trying to figure out why they recommend age 12 and up and then show kids younger than that in the video. I also am wondering if they explain much of the science or if it's just yet another glorified demo science kit. I watched a couple of the videos, and they mention the science very briefly and then refer back to the website for more details, but I can't find more details. So, I'm cautious about it for now, but joined so I can see for myself.

I have the same concerns, which is why i also want bookshark. :lol:

• Like 1

Are the day books a complete curriculum? What did you love about them Tara?

I like that they have the kids reading nonfiction articles and making notes on them. My ds needs practice pulling information from nonfiction sources and organizing it coherently.

It does not look like it is a complete curriculum, but I think I could make it the centerpiece of a curriculum and round it out with videos and hands-on activities.

• Like 2

I like that they have the kids reading nonfiction articles and making notes on them. My ds needs practice pulling information from nonfiction sources and organizing it coherently.

It does not look like it is a complete curriculum, but I think I could make it the centerpiece of a curriculum and round it out with videos and hands-on activities.

Did you order the ScienceSaurus book and the Teacher's guide too or just the Daybook? I can't figure out what is necessary. 

Did you order the ScienceSaurus book and the Teacher's guide too or just the Daybook? I can't figure out what is necessary. 

I got the ScienceSaurus and the Daybook. I figure I can order the teacher's guide later if I decide I really need it. The only thing that's necessary is the daybook. The ScienceSaurus just contains more information about the topics in the daybook. It's basically just a science encyclopedia, and we have about 30,000 of those around here, but I know my son, and he will more readily use an encyclopedia that is made to go with the daybooks than he will some random encyclopedia. I think I paid about $8 for the ScienceSaurus used on Amazon.  :thumbup:

Btw, if you go to the Houghton Mifflin site, you can sign up for a free sample that will let you read the entire ScienceSaurus online.

• Like 2