Menu

PSAT scores

I tried using the code for Missouri that we used for the test, but could never get it to work. I tried the generic code of 970000, it took it, and filled in the blank with Missouri Home School for me. Maybe it found Missouri with my zip.

Edited by Swirl

See, I'm not sure that's true. Looked like some of the younger kids had scores show up already ....

Thanks to everyone for the headsup!

Managed to get logged in to get DD13s report.  Now I cannot log out due to high server activity, so I cannot get DS16s report.  :tongue_smilie:

I'm not sure how to go about getting the report for DS13, who does not yet have an account.  Perhaps we need to wait for snail mail.

Thanks for all the help. I had the same problem not being able to access scores, but then I used the link provided here and it worked.

I'm very happy with my 10th grade dd's scores, especially the reading/writing.

Edited by RootAnn

My son's was not showing up either and when I called they informed me that only 11th graders were released today...gotta wait one more day. :( 10th graders would be released on Friday and 8-9th graders on Saturday.

Nope. My 8th grader got hers. Fie on the phone fibbers!

My son's was not showing up either and when I called they informed me that only 11th graders were released today...gotta wait one more day.  :(   10th graders would be released on Friday and 8-9th graders on Saturday. 

My 10th graders scores are showing up as well. 

Did all the ones who are showing up have their state's homeschool code work properly? My state still isn't working, and I had to choose a different homeschool in the same state, so perhaps that has something to do with it? I wish I knew what the access code or student ID for my student is. It now won't let me try anything at all because it says I made too many attempts.

Our homeschool code worked properly, eventually. It took a few attempts before it accepted it.

What do you see when you click for scores?

2014 scores for my son. For my daughter, I get a message saying that the CB has no record of any tests and to click the "add scores" prompt if there should be scores. When I click on that prompt, I am asked to update her info, but I can't get the website to accept "homeschool" as her high school. I have tried all of the variations I have read in this thread, and also typed in the school name exactly as it appears on my son's account, but nothing works

My son is done with testing, but my daughter has just begun. My boys took the SAT, but between the screw up on the June SAT, the screw up with getting scores released on time this fall, and now this, I think I will be giving any future $$'s to the ACT folks.

Edited by snowbeltmom
  • Like 3

Did you put just the number, or state homeschool then the number, or what? I've tried a zillion times with every variation I can think of.

Do they identify students based just on name matched with school code? I think I'll probably end up needing to call.

Our state homeschool code (just the #)  is what eventually worked, though I tried it 2 or 3 times before it finally worked.

Edited by Kim C

Talked to someone at the CB help number.  I asked why my state home school code was not working. He said there was a different, general home school code for all US home schoolers: 970000.  He went in to my son's account and entered that code and now, in my son's account, "Your School" shows up as "HOME SCHOOL CLEARING HOUSE." 

Just tried to establish an account for my other son, but neither my state home school code nor the CB account home school code of 970000 will take! 

Ergh.

Doesn't matter much for me, though, because the support person said my son did not supply an email address on the test (though my son insists that he did!), so we will only be able to get his scores when the hard copy arrives "around" Jan. 27. In that letter, there will also be an access code to get his scores online, according to the support person.

My two 10th grade daughters just got theirs. We've been trying all day. I actually spent an hour on the phone with a College Board customer service rep who discovered that PSAT had the wrong email for one of my girls. My other daughter's email address was correct, but she hadn't received any access code. Neither of my kids had set up any College Board account before 8 am today, so we were resigned to the notion that we'd be waiting for the snail mail to be delivered Jan. 29th.

We also had lots of trouble with their accounts when it came to adding school info. We tried everything mentioned in this thread. Finally, my husband had them go through the "My Plan" tab to update school info and it allowed us to enter State Homeschool, State Code. Still, both girls kept getting the  "you have no record of any assessment test" message. Pretty disheartening to read that after waiting for almost 3 months. 

The good news: Both did extremely well. Their scores also matched up almost identically with their June 2015 ACT testing, so maybe their ACT scores weren't flukes after all. :lol:

To those of you still waiting - Keep trying!!

• Like 2

My son's was not showing up either and when I called they informed me that only 11th graders were released today...gotta wait one more day.  :(   10th graders would be released on Friday and 8-9th graders on Saturday. 

Nope, I got my 9th grader's scores this morning.  I had to log in and out several times before they popped up, but up they came.

The only delay I see is getting the 7th grader's scores, since he's not 13 yet, so they won't open an account for him.

• Like 1

The College Board was supposed to issue a conversion chart to the new scores could be compared to old ones.  Does anyone know about this?

I don't know how useful the conversion chart will be.  The tests are quite different imho.  It would be sort of like creating a conversion chart that predicts your 5k run time based on a 500 meter swim time.  Similar, but quite different.

The CB site said that for a few years, percentiles would be based on research groups, not on previous years' test populations.  

For the record, I hate that the PSAT and SAT don't use the same scale.  I still don't understand the point of that.

DS got good scores.  His percentiles were similar, but his scaled scores were lower than previous PSAT scores and significantly lower than the SAT he took in Nov.  

• Like 1

Does that indicate you can miss more questions and still get a higher percentile than last time? Or am I misunderstanding what scaled scores refer to (still don't have my dd's report to refer to)?

Scaled scores on the SAT are 200-800.  CB takes the raw score (how many questions were right) and puts them into something of a bell curve.  The PSAT used to be on a 20-80 scale.  Now it is a three digit score that has a high cutoff of 760.

What frustrates me on this is that I think it makes it harder to use the PSAT to predict the SAT score.  We had found that it was a decent indicator to add a zero to the PSAT score.  I guess that because the SAT has harder content they wanted the scores offset.  

Is the expectation that the same student will get a similar score if they take the SAT and the PSAT around the same time?  Or is the expectation that the SAT will have a higher score because the score range is shifted?  Or do they just think that students will get higher scores on the SAT because students often take the SAT 6-9 months after the PSAT?

[i don't love change and ds2 is dealing with a lot of change in the application process.  New PSAT/SAT, new applications system from a bunch of colleges, new FAFSA timeline.  blech.]

Just another data point for those having trouble establishing a CB account for their student......   I just called CB (for the second time) about my other son since neither the state home school code nor the generic CB home school code (970000) worked. The support person tried multiple things and finally suggested entering the school where my son took the PSAT. It worked! I can see his scores!

Still can't see my other son's scores, though. The first support person said we'd have to wait for the USPS mailed hard copy around Jan 27, but this support person said they were emailing access codes and that he should get an email within the next two days.  I guess we'll get them eventually.

What frustrates me on this is that I think it makes it harder to use the PSAT to predict the SAT score.  We had found that it was a decent indicator to add a zero to the PSAT score.  I guess that because the SAT has harder content they wanted the scores offset.  

Is the expectation that the same student will get a similar score if they take the SAT and the PSAT around the same time

The report I got today says

"Keep in mind the PSAT/NMSQT and SAT are on the same scale.  Your score shows you how you would have scored that day on the SAT (beginning in March 2016). "

(that info is printed in the same column as the Total score)

When I logged into my son's scores, this message is in large type: Keep in mind, the PSAT/NMSQT and SAT are on the same scale. Your score shows you how you would have scored that day on the SAT.1 How well you do depends on what you do next!

Someone had a link to a conversion chart on college confidential. I don't know how to link it here from my phone. I'm not sure how accurate it is but I did check it out because it seemed dd jumped so much. If it is accurate, she was more than 30 points higher than last year. Seems like a lot considering the jump between 8th and 9th was so small. This is all very confusing.

Dd's selection index (not the PSAT score) puts her right on the bubble for our state for the NMSF cutoff using past years' numbers. I'm going to write to CB and have her officially declared as qualifying for the NM----it's an option for kids who decide to graduate early.

So if she makes the cutoff, does anyone know the last possible date to take the SAT for the finalist step? Please say it's October because I don't think I could get her to sit the June test...

(Still haven't received her Dec ACT scores grr)

My two 10th grade daughters just got theirs. We've been trying all day. I actually spent an hour on the phone with a College Board customer service rep who discovered that PSAT had the wrong email for one of my girls. My other daughter's email address was correct, but she hadn't received any access code. Neither of my kids had set up any College Board account before 8 am today, so we were resigned to the notion that we'd be waiting for the snail mail to be delivered Jan. 29th.

I don't understand the mentions of an "access code". My ds didn't receive any kind of access code. He just logged on to his College Board account, then went to the link that was posted earlier in this thread and -- boom, there were the scores.

It's so strange that people are having such completely different experiences just in the technical process of trying to get this information.

• Like 1

How on earth are you guys getting this to work?  It won't take the homeschool code (I tried both the generic code and our state code and checking and unchecking search by zip and putting homeschool before it and putting any variation of our state and can't get it anywhere.)  Dd did not receive an email with her access code, nor does she know what her student ID is.  This is getting very frustrating. 

• Like 1

How on earth are you guys getting this to work?  It won't take the homeschool code (I tried both the generic code and our state code and checking and unchecking search by zip and putting homeschool before it and putting any variation of our state and can't get it anywhere.)  Dd did not receive an email with her access code, nor does she know what her student ID is.  This is getting very frustrating.

I am still not getting it to work, either. After delaying the scores for an entire month, I would have thought the CB would have had its act together today. Geez.
  • Like 1

Dd's selection index (not the PSAT score) puts her right on the bubble for our state for the NMSF cutoff using past years' numbers. I'm going to write to CB and have her officially declared as qualifying for the NM----it's an option for kids who decide to graduate early.

So if she makes the cutoff, does anyone know the last possible date to take the SAT for the finalist step? Please say it's October because I don't think I could get her to sit the June test...

(Still haven't received her Dec ACT scores grr)

It has to be before that. They declare the finalists in May.

When I logged into my son's scores, this message is in large type: Keep in mind, the PSAT/NMSQT and SAT are on the same scale. Your score shows you how you would have scored that day on the SAT.1 How well you do depends on what you do next!

I don't think that really makes sense, because the SAT scale goes up to 800 per section.  It has not been uncommon for a student to take both the PSAT and the Oct or Nov SAT just to get it out of the way.

• Like 1

Does that indicate you can miss more questions and still get a higher percentile than last time? Or am I misunderstanding what scaled scores refer to (still don't have my dd's report to refer to)?

You can miss more questions on the SAT than on the PSAT because the SAT has more questions.  

The student takes the test.  They get some number right out of all the questions on the test.  (Ex. 40 out of 47 math questions).  This is the raw score.

College Board looks at the results of the test and determines what PSAT score that raw score will correspond to.  Because they use a bell curve, missing one question might move you down 30 points at the high end of the score (ex. 46 out of 47 might mean a 750, a one point difference in raw score might have less of an effect for a mid range score.  ex. A student getting 29 right in math scores a 590, while students scoring as low as 27 right would get a 580.).  These converted scores of 200-800 for SAT or 160-760 for PSAT are what I'm calling the scaled score.  Remember this is on a curve.  It's not a situation where every right answer moves the student up the same number of points on the section score.

The percentiles aren't what percent of the questions were answered correctly.  Instead they tell the student what percentage of students taking the test they scored better than.  So a 60th percentile would mean the student scored better than 60 percent of those who took the test.  A 98th percentile score was better than 98 percent of those taking the test.  

What is throwing me is that a math 740 on the new PSAT is 97th percentile.  But a 740 on the SAT will probably be closer to a 96th percentile.

From where I sit it just feels like the whole thing is more opaque than it was before.  Maybe after a couple years it will make more sense.  The CB comment about the scores equating to SAT scores if that student took it right now feel fishy to me.  Maybe in some ranges that makes sense.  I'm not sure it holds for students at the ends of the scale.  I've seen it recommended for high performing juniors to take the SAT and PSAT close together, because they get the max benefit of their test prep time and open up time in the spring for other things (like AP studies).  If a student is applying for early action, they need to have test scores in hand pretty early in the fall.  This year the Oct SAT score reports were delayed and did not get sent to schools before Nov 1 deadlines for Early Decision and Early Action.  If a student takes the PSAT and SAT around the same time, they aren't going to know more a week later on the date of the second test.  So will the scores vary much?  How much?  What will the variation be based on?  Different scale?  Different difficulty level?  

This is all probably more than you wanted to read.  I try not to give too much of my day or emotional energy to College Board.  I'd rather knit or read a book or go canoeing.  

• Like 2

Did anyone get the message similar to this: (formatting is weird). I don't know the access code, or my student's ID. In her account that I just set up, it doesn't have any scores, so took me to this page. I also had to choose another homeschool in my state as nothing else listed in the thread so far worked for me.

Please supply information about the test that you want a score for. It's best to supply information about the test you're looking for. If you don't have this information, you can try using your student ID.

Required =

Supply Access code or Student Id to find your score
I can supply my test information.
I can supply my student ID.
Select A Test:

PSAT/NMSQT
Select an Admin year:

PSAT Access Code:

Back

Yes, that is what is happening with mine.  I have called twice today and they didn't seem to know why it wasn't showing up on my end.  They did say we did not need an access code and it should automatically come up but mine didn't.  She said that she could see it on her end and all she could tell me was keep trying.  How discouraging!  Maybe I can convince her to give me his results over the phone tomorrow if I have no luck! 

You have till December of your senior year to take the SAT in order to advance to finalist

http://REQUIREMENTS FOR BECOMING A FINALIST

For the class of 2016, any SAT taken between Oct 2013 & Dec 2015 would be OK.

Exactly.  So a semifinalist (unless the CB changes the requirements, but they've been the same for years) may use the SAT score from any sitting between and including October of sophomore year and December of senior year.

The NM Semifinalist applications are sent out in early September of the senior year and due in mid-October, but the student may put that he is taking the SAT in November or December on the application.  If you think your student has a good chance of becoming a semifinalist, you can have his scores sent to the NM Corp by putting in the code 0085 on a sitting that meets the date requirements.  We did that for our son who took the SAT in March of his junior year.

Thanks to everyone for the headsup!

Managed to get logged in to get DD13's report.  Now I cannot log out due to high server activity, so I cannot get DS16's report.  :tongue_smilie:

I'm not sure how to go about getting the report for DS13, who does not yet have an account.  Perhaps we need to wait for snail mail.

Just an update.  Managed to logout login to get DS16's scores yesterday.  It was just a matter of persistence.

Based on encouragement from this thread, MomsInTheGarden decided to create an account for DS13 to see if she could get his scores as well.  After failing to be able to set the school to VIRGINIA HOME SCHOOL (994799) and after multiple logins and logouts, she failed to see the scores.  I decided to login to DS13's account this morning and the scores came right up!  This was true even though his profile did not contain any high school code at all.  (I have since added that.)

Are we sharing scores to see how things look in this brave new world of PSAT testing?  Our DC's scores are not particularly high nor low (nor do they count for anything this year), so I thought I would start:

DS16 - Ninth Grade - R/W: 690 M: 620 Total: 1310 NMSC Selection Index: 200

DS13 - Eighth Grade - R/W: 690 M: 610 Total: 1300 NMSC Selection Index: 199

DD13 - Eight Grade - R/W: 670 M: 540 Total: 1210 NMSC Selection Index: 188

Our conclusions are that the math section got quite a bit harder with this new test, but we feel our students have sufficient time to study and prepare before they take it again for real.  These scores are also in-line with what DS17 achieved when he took the test early, so they seem to be on course to do well (although DS17 did it with a bit less preparation).  Luckily tere's little chance the PSAT will change again before they take it again!

Edited by RegGuheert

I am so frustrated....I have called 3x and everyone has told me something different.  We can't get past the "access code".  My son was not sent one and we have tried all of the ones that we know of.  Did you all get access codes sent to your email?  My son put his email on his test but we have yet to get an access code.  If I have to wait for the paper results I am going to go :willy_nilly:!  So discouraging!

I am so frustrated....I have called 3x and everyone has told me something different.  We can't get past the "access code".  My son was not sent one and we have tried all of the ones that we know of.  Did you all get access codes sent to your email?  My son put his email on his test but we have yet to get an access code.  If I have to wait for the paper results I am going to go :willy_nilly:!  So discouraging!

The "access code" is printed in big letters on the front page of the score report.  Just log in and you can read it once you download the score report! :lol:

Seriously, I'm sorry for the frustration.  We managed to get DS13's result sometime after MomsInTheGarden created a new account for him.  She also was not able to get past the "access code" part, but the scores somehow got associated with his account.  We still don't know how it happened since she didn't even manage to assign a school code to him.  I wonder if having siblings at the same address who had valid accounts made a difference.

Where is it asking for an access code? Ds never received one nor was he prompted for one. He just signed in to his College Board account and then went to this link:

https://studentscore...d.org/viewscore

That's the expected behavior if your student has a prior account and some previous testing with the College Board.  In the case where this is the student's first experience with the College Board, the "access code" is usually required.  But somehow some of us are getting the results without the access code.

• Like 1

Well, I just checked my kiddo's accounts again.  Still no results for this year, but my D's results from last year are now showing in her account. 

Since this year counts for my son, I hope that lack of test results for this year does not mean that his test was lost.  I tried calling the CB, but like yesterday, got a recording to call back tomorrow and then was hung up on.  :cursing:

I would be livid if my son wanted these results in order to begin prepping for the new SAT in March.  Since he has no plans of taking the new SAT, I am merely annoyed with the incompetent CB. :glare:

We shouldn't have to do an access code but after talking with the supervisor over at college board this year some have them.  Guess I'll just have to wait.  :(  She did say that they still have not sent out all of the "access codes" and it might take a couple more days for that all to be out.  We'll see!?

Edited by Homeschoolmom3

That's the expected behavior if your student has a prior account and some previous testing with the College Board.  In the case where this is the student's first experience with the College Board, the "access code" is usually required.  But somehow some of us are getting the results without the access code.

Ah, I see. The PSAT *was* my son's first CB test, but he also did the December SAT and had to create an account for that. But it was after the PSAT and I was wondering how they would magically connect his PSAT records with that account. Apparently it worked (and with zero effort on our part). I wish I could sprinkle the magic over to the rest of you. This sounds like such a pain. :(

I had many of the same problems as everyone else.

Our home school code - Ky Home School was eventually accepted after multiple repeats. Then we had no scores. I saw the page asking for an access code, but of course did not have access to the access code. Eventually last year's scores showed up and with a few more hours this years magically appeared. It took a combination of frustration, persistence, time and ignoring the computer. Hope it gets to working for everyone else.

Another data point about accessing scores.....   I wasn't able to get one son's score report yesterday.  One support person said he hadn't provided an email (my son insisted that he had, but who knows) and so we'd have to wait for the snail mail report Jan 29.  A second support person said he'd be emailed an access code now that he had a CB account.

I tried to log in to his account this am and couldn't, even though I'd been in and out of it multiple times yesterday. It locked me out after multiple attempts and I had to create a new password.

After creating the new password, I tried to log in. Entered user name & pwd, and it seemed like nothing happened. Did it again & noticed that something got downloaded even though there was no change to the sign in page. Clicked on the download and *poof* it was my son's score report.

Good luck to those who are still trying. I know it is hugely frustrating.

Edited by yvonne
  • Like 2