Menu

Pioneer Woman's New Cookbook..

SharonM

It's under the tree. Santa picked it up at Costco. Santa looked through it first to see if there were any recipes she would like and decided that there was enough there to warrant a purchase. I hope some of the recipes will be keepers (like her salsa and burrito recipes for us), but I expect to enjoy reading it even if it doesn't fit us as well as I hope it does.

• Like 2

It's under the tree. Santa picked it up at Costco. Santa looked through it first to see if there were any recipes she would like and decided that there was enough there to warrant a purchase. I hope some of the recipes will be keepers (like her salsa and burrito recipes for us), but I expect to enjoy reading it even if it doesn't fit us as well as I hope it does.

I always suspected Santa shopped at Costco.  No doubt he partakes in a churro and latte freeze before visiting all of the sample ladies, too.

• Like 18

This thread reminds me of something I forgot to add to the "things you bought because of this board" thread. I don't have her new one, but one of her other ones. It contains my favorite ever Spanish rice recipe and my favorite ever stew recipe.

Now I'll have to go and try both recipes.  I love the chicken pot pie recipe and her pastry crust recipe is the only one I'll use now.  The only one dd will use as well.  It truly is the perfect recipe.  

• Like 1

I loved her posts when she was on this board. She's a funny lady.

Yes, her family is wealthy and her lifestyle is unattainable for us mere mortals. That part I ignore.

But we love her cookbooks. We made three of her recipes for Thanksgiving. I even watch her TV show sometimes (shhh!).

Edited by G5052
  • Like 1

No. I'm just not as cool as the rest of you I guess.

Don't feel badly. Had I not been here, I would not have heard of her either. Now I hear or see PW occasionally in the real world, but I would not notice if I didn't already recognize the name.

• Like 4

No. I'm just not as cool as the rest of you I guess.

Because she is in so many different markets, I think people are just surprised that you've been able to avoid seeing or hearing any mention of her before. She's in bookstores, online, on TV, and she recently got her own Walmart cookware line. 

Because she is in so many different markets, I think people are just surprised that you've been able to avoid seeing or hearing any mention of her before. She's in bookstores, online, on TV, and she recently got her own Walmart cookware line.

I don't like cookbooks and I hate Walmart. Their cleaning agent gives me a migraine that lasts for hours. It's the same one used in prisons and DMVs. I'll see if the library has this though. I think maybe I've never seen a good cookbook before.

I don't know.  I heard about her here.  So if I was not here, I would never have heard about her.  I did see her cooking show once.  It airs at a time I usually don't watch TV so it was unusual that I saw one of her shows.

She's had a huge blog following for years. I already knew who she was before I ever found out she was a former member here.

• Like 1

I used to follow her blog a lot years ago... before TV and books and such.   She makes good old fashioned comfort food, and almost everything (if not everything) I tried turned out.  Her posts always had a good sense of humor to them, which I loved.   We still make her flour frosting (not sure what it's called). I discovered it on a day when I needed to make cupcakes and we were out of powdered sugar.  It's a frosting recipe that uses normal sugar, but tastes great.

I was trying to be healthful and bought Jamie Oliver's new cookbook with my Amazon Holiday30 coupon.  It all looks too healthy.  Too much kale and seeds and such.   Had I bought Ree's, no doubt I'd already be cooking up a few recipes.  LOL 

Edited by umsami
  • Like 9

Her courtship story that she debued here was later published as a book.  It's marvelously entertaining.  Reads like an old fashioned serial.

Anybody know what happened with that?  I read somewhere that Reese Witherspoon's production company optioned it for a movie.  Is it stuck in turn around?  Are they making it?

Their ranch is not far from where I live.  I used to love her blog....I laughed so hard at some of her stories.  Then she got famous and had to get all PC and much of the funny stuff was deleted.  Her first cookbook I bought for my mom.  I think it is beautiful.  I have tried many of her recipes and she does do comfort food quite well.

• Like 4

Their ranch is not far from where I live.  I used to love her blog....I laughed so hard at some of her stories.  Then she got famous and had to get all PC and much of the funny stuff was deleted.  Her first cookbook I bought for my mom.  I think it is beautiful.  I have tried many of her recipes and she does do comfort food quite well.

Yeah, I think everything about her brother Mike has been scrubbed. That's what I loved about her- she was real. But now it's too perfect even though she tries to 'be real'. 

The only recipe I tried that we didn't like was the Marlboro Man sandwich- it was too chewy and waaaay too salty.  

But her meatloaf is a family favorite here. 

She deleted things or rather her peeps did? That is a shame!

She deleted things or rather her peeps did? That is a shame!

Yes, it started out as just her. I remember when she announced it here -- "Hey come see my blog!"

No ads, and just her humor and some good recipes.

But over time more people became involved behind the scenes, particularly when her cookbooks became bestsellers and when the Food Channel gave her a show.

When you go commercial, certain things have to go, or you can't go down that path.

I went to Wal-Mart today, and there she was on the overhead video.

• Like 2

I bought the one called "dinnertime" at Costco right before Thanksgiving.  I didn't see much freezer cooking in it (Just looked, 17 dishes out of the entire book in that chapter).  I saw several recipes I want to try but haven't yet.  It's very pretty.  I love cookbooks with pictures of EVERY SINGLE dish.  You eat with your eyes first, right ;)   I haven't seen her prior cookbooks.  I've seen a few recipes on her website that look good.  I can't stand the blog format for recipes.  Too many pictures for my patience level.  But I'm glad I bought this book.  I will say it's not exactly very original but it's very much my style.  I get stuck in ruts with cooking and sometimes just flipping through a book like this will remind me of something I already cook.

I've never watched her show but I did buy her pie pan at WM because it was pretty. 

Yeah, I think everything about her brother Mike has been scrubbed. That's what I loved about her- she was real. But now it's too perfect even though she tries to 'be real'.

The only recipe I tried that we didn't like was the Marlboro Man sandwich- it was too chewy and waaaay too salty.

But her meatloaf is a family favorite here.

Mike stories were my favorite . I literally laughed so hard I had tears running down my face.

• Like 1

Mike stories were my favorite . I literally laughed so hard I had tears running down my face.

Is Mike ever mentioned any more? I loved the Mike stories. :lol:

I stopped reading the blog after it became uuuuber popular. The fawning comments sections were addictive - a sort of trainwreck... I couldn't NOT read the comments! - so I had to stop visiting to gain back hours of my day, lol.

• Like 1

I never buy cookbooks because I don't tend to use them enough to justify the $ and they add clutter to my small kitchen, but I have made some recipes from her website. My favorite is her guacamole.

We love her Pico de gallo.  I've made that so many times and everyone who eats it loves it.  Same with the jalapeño cream cheese bacon wrapped appy things.  Yum.  I just made those for our last dinner guests.

• Like 1

I believe they were scrubbed because she repeatedly referred to him as "retarded."

I have a signed cookbook my friend got for me at a book signing. Her SIL and MIL also signed it.

I'm sure that's why but she could have replaced the r word with 'special needs' or something. The stories clearly illustrated how much Mike was loved.  I've seen him once on her show in the past year and it was weird- he came and drove around the property with MM and Ree fed him a meal and that was it. So he was 'in' the episode but hardly seen. 

I love her website for inspiration, the photos.  I often find that her recipes are a little flat for our taste, though, and I have to punch up the seasoning.  But it's still worth it to look just for the inspiration.  I get stuck in a rut easily, because I just don't want to put that much thought into meal planning (I could easily make the same 3-5 meals endlessly and call it good).