Menu

i usually post serious posts. Today i need your best recipe.

Rose in BC

OREO TRUFFLES

One package REGULAR Oreos

8 oz cream cheese

Mush it all together

Freeze in little balls

Melt chocolate

Swirl frozen balls in melted chocolate

Freeze on bakers paper

Drizzle in melted white chocolate to make it pretty

Die of happiness

I usually serve with chocolate dipped strawberries because it looks beautiful.

• Like 2

OREO TRUFFLES

8 oz cream cheese

Mush it all together

Freeze in little balls

Melt chocolate

Freeze on bakers paper

Die of happiness

Haha.  This was my thought too.  I've made them before and they are so well received.

• Like 1

Fannie Mae Mint Frosted Brownies

http://www.cooks.com/recipe/u80c3hp/fannie-mae-mint-cake.html

I'd give you our old family recipe, written out in my mother in law's handwriting and with chocolate splotches all over the little scrap of paper.  But this website is the exact same recipe.

Edited by flyingiguana
  • Like 2

Cocoa Fudge Cake Trifle (this won our county fair cooking demonstration and my daughter took this to state.) 

Cocoa fudge cake

1 2/3 cup Whole Wheat Pastry Flour (or you can just use all purpose)

1 ½ cup Sugar

2/3 cup Cocoa

1 ½ t. Baking Soda

1 t. Salt

1 ½ cup Buttermilk

½ cup Shortening

2 Eggs

1 t. Vanilla Extract

1 medium banana

Heat oven to 350 degrees F.  Grease and flour pan 9x13†or two round layer pans 8 or 9†in diameter.  Beat all ingredients in a large mixer bowl on low speed, scraping bowl constantly for 30 seconds.  Beat on high speed scraping bowl occasionally for 3 minutes or until ingredients look very well mixed.  Pour into pans.  Bake until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.  For 9x13†pan cook 35 – 40 minutes, layer pans cook 30 – 35 minutes. 

Whipped Cream

1 cup heavy whipping cream

1 T. confectioner’s sugar

1 t. vanilla extract

Beat all ingredients in large mixer bowl on high speed, scraping bowl occasionally.  Beat until soft peaks form, about 10 minutes.  Do not overwhip.

Chocolate Ganache

9 oz. semi-sweet chocolate chips

1 cup heavy cream

1 T. vanilla extract

Heat heavy cream just to a boil.  Pour over chocolate chips and add vanilla extract.  Stir with whisk until chocolate chips are melted and color is deep rich brown.  Set aside to cool for 10 minutes.

To Assemble:

Slice cake in half horizontally and then cut into about 1/2 inch cubes.  In a large trifle dish (or even a pretty clear bowl with straight sides), put about 1/3 of the cake cubes in the bottom.  On top of that, put about 1/3 of the whipped cream.  Drizzle about 1/3 of the ganache onto the whipped cream.  Repeat 2 more times.  On top, you can dust lightly with a little cocoa powder or some chocolate shavings.  It is delicious and elegant looking. 

BTW, we happened upon this when dd was making a birthday cake for a sibling and discovered that she had forgotten to grease the pans.  The cake wouldn't come out of the pan.  We had already made the ganache to frost it and had some leftover heavy cream.  So, we decided to make this with our crumbly cake mess.  She turned her disaster into a delicious dessert. 

• Like 3

Chipotle Flourless Chocolate Cake

Preheat oven to 350. Line bottom of 9 ½ inch pan with a circle of parchment paper. Grease sides and parchment with butter or non-stick cooking spray.

10 oz semisweet chocolate (roughly chopped)

7 tablespoons unsalted butter (cut into pieces)

Melt together, stirring occasionally until smooth

5 large eggs (room temperature)

1 cup sugar

Wisk eggs and sugar together, slowly stirring in melted chocolate.

Add

½ tsp cinnamon

¾ tsp chipotle chili powder

Dash of cayenne pepper

Pinch of salt

Pour into pan, bake for 22-25 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.

Let cool completely.

Powdered sugar for dusting (optional)

• Like 1

here's dh's chocolate cheesecake recipe.  it's been used at two wedding receptions. it was THE only cake at one.  (my favorite was the girl who only wanted a tiny piece because she was on a diet.  she came back 15 minutes later for a whole piece.)  at a get-together for a business group dh belongs to, it just sat on the counter.  we found this remarkable, as it just doesn't happen. so, we just sat and watched the crowd in amusement.  then someone had a piece.  "YOU HAVE TO EAT THIS CHEESECAKE!" and everyone was eating it.  he was then told he wasn't allowed to ever bring anything else.

Chocolate cheesecake recipe

Use a slip bottom pan,  not a spring form pan. (the latch predisposes uneven baking.)  Have a pan of water on the rack below the cheesecake (prevents cracking).

Crust

16 oreo cookies, filling removed and thrown away

½ stick unsalted butter (coldish.  You can allow it to sit at room temp for a short time.)

Grind the cookies into fine crumbs (food processor is good) – as fine as possible. Slice unsalted butter thinly and cut into cookie crumbs with pastry cutter until it is well mixed, and starts to stick together on its own.  Line the bottom of a buttered, pre-chilled cheesecake pan with the mixture and compress. (cold, flat potato masher works well.)  chilling the pan helps prevent sticking – if it’s sticking, you can chill for several minutes, and then continue.  Leave finished crust/pan in the refrigerator.

Filling

1lb cream cheese, at room temperature

4 eggs, at room temperature

1 C sugar

12 oz chocolate chips (do NOT skimp on quality.  Guittard’s work well.)

1 ½ C heavy whipping cream

1 tsp. vanilla

Place whipping cream and chocolate chips in top of double boiler over moderate heat until the chips are completely melted. Stirring occasionally.  make sure chips are completely melted.

Mix the sugar and cream cheese with a heavy duty mixer.  When they are well mixed, add eggs one at a time until well mixed.   Slowly add chocolate mixture until well mixed.  There shouldn’t be any “white spots†of cream cheese.

Pour filling mixture into prepared slip bottom pan with crust.  Place on the middle oven rack.

Place a 9x13 (or larger) pan of water on the bottom oven rack.

Back cheesecake for 60 – 70 minutes at 300 degrees.  To determine doneness – jiggle the rack.  There shouldn’t be much motion in the cheesecake, but not completely solid.  Let cool before refrigerating.  It is best allowed to warm slightly before serving.

Also good served with melba sauce.

I also have a great - and pretty fool proof - fudge recipe that does NOT use marshmallows, in any form.

Edited by gardenmom5
  • Like 2

Oh my.  I might make this although I'm feeling pressure.  If its already a prize winning recipe i hope I can live up to that. :)

Cocoa Fudge Cake Trifle (this won our county fair cooking demonstration and my daughter took this to state.) 

Cocoa fudge cake

1 ½ cup Sugar

2/3 cup Cocoa

1 ½ t. Baking Soda

1 t. Salt

1 ½ cup Buttermilk

½ cup Shortening

2 Eggs

1 t. Vanilla Extract

1 medium banana

Heat oven to 350 degrees F.  Grease and flour pan 9x13†or two round layer pans 8 or 9†in diameter.  Beat all ingredients in a large mixer bowl on low speed, scraping bowl constantly for 30 seconds.  Beat on high speed scraping bowl occasionally for 3 minutes or until ingredients look very well mixed.  Pour into pans.  Bake until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.  For 9x13†pan cook 35 – 40 minutes, layer pans cook 30 – 35 minutes. 

Whipped Cream

1 t. vanilla extract

Beat all ingredients in large mixer bowl on high speed, scraping bowl occasionally.  Beat until soft peaks form, about 10 minutes.  Do not overwhip.

Chocolate Ganache

1 cup heavy cream

1 T. vanilla extract

Heat heavy cream just to a boil.  Pour over chocolate chips and add vanilla extract.  Stir with whisk until chocolate chips are melted and color is deep rich brown.  Set aside to cool for 10 minutes.

To Assemble:

Slice cake in half horizontally and then cut into about 1/2 inch cubes.  In a large trifle dish (or even a pretty clear bowl with straight sides), put about 1/3 of the cake cubes in the bottom.  On top of that, put about 1/3 of the whipped cream.  Drizzle about 1/3 of the ganache onto the whipped cream.  Repeat 2 more times.  On top, you can dust lightly with a little cocoa powder or some chocolate shavings.  It is delicious and elegant looking. 

BTW, we happened upon this when dd was making a birthday cake for a sibling and discovered that she had forgotten to grease the pans.  The cake wouldn't come out of the pan.  We had already made the ganache to frost it and had some leftover heavy cream.  So, we decided to make this with our crumbly cake mess.  She turned her disaster into a delicious dessert. 

Haha, i love smitten kitchen and actually found another recipe on that site last night.  But its a yeast dough recipe which ideally tastes fresh from oven.  I don't know, logistically, how to do that without waking up at 4 a.m. that day.

Thanks for this recommendation.

• Like 1

Oh this looks good too.  And i love chilli with chocolate.

Chipotle Flourless Chocolate Cake

Preheat oven to 350. Line bottom of 9 ½ inch pan with a circle of parchment paper. Grease sides and parchment with butter or non-stick cooking spray.
10 oz semisweet chocolate (roughly chopped)
7 tablespoons unsalted butter (cut into pieces)
Melt together, stirring occasionally until smooth
5 large eggs (room temperature)
1 cup sugar
Wisk eggs and sugar together, slowly stirring in melted chocolate.
Add
½ tsp cinnamon
¾ tsp chipotle chili powder
Dash of cayenne pepper
Pinch of salt
Pour into pan, bake for 22-25 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Let cool completely.
Powdered sugar for dusting (optional)

• Like 1

Here's the kicker about this contest.  I have been sugar free for 1.5 years.  I am breaking all my "rules" by baking for this contest.

i have some good sugar free recipes but I know the general population won't think them prize winning compared to their sugary counterparts.

Plus my family is excited for this event.  It means they may get a treat too. :)

• Like 2

I made this cake for a relatives 40th birthday party. There were people, who after have a piece, asked if they could also take a piece home with them. It uses a bunch of prepackaged foods, but you could definitely sub in your own recipes. It also looked amazing. I've been sugar/gluten/carb free for almost 4 years, so probably won't ever make this cake again. It is a show-stopper dessert, though.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Cheesecake-Stuffed Dark Chocolate Cake

Recipe By     :
Serving Size  : 0     Preparation Time :0:00
Categories    : Cakes & Frostings               Pizzas
                To Try

Amount  Measure       Ingredient -- Preparation Method
--------  ------------  --------------------------------
                        Unsweetened cocoa
  1            package  devil’s food cake mix -- (18.25 oz.)
  1            package  chocolate instant pudding mix -- (3.4 oz.)
  3              large  eggs
  1 1/4           cups  cups milk
  1                cup  canola oil
  1              Tbsp.  vanilla extract
  1 1/2      teaspoons  chocolate extract (optional)
  1               tsp.  almond extract
  3                     milk chocolate bars -- (1.55 oz.) chopped (tested with Hersheys)
  3               cans  homestyle cream cheese frosting -- (16 oz.)
  3              boxes  frozen cheesecake bites -- (7.75 oz.) coarsely chopped (tested with Sara Lee)
  1                jar  dulce de leche caramel sauce (tested with Smuckers) -- (12 oz.)
                        Double chocolate rolled wafer cookies -- coarsely broken (tested with Pirouline)
                        Chocolate fudge rolled wafer cookies -- coarsely broken (tested with Pepperidge Farm)

Grease 2 (9â€) round cake pans, and dust with cocoa. Beat cake mix and next 7 ingredients at low speed with an electric mixer 1 minute; then beat at medium speed 2 minutes. Fold in chopped milk chocolate bars. Pour batter into prepared pans. Bake at 350 degrees for 32 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Cool cake in pans on wire racks 10 minutes; remove from pans, and cool completely on wire racks. Wrap and chill cake layers at least 1 hour or up to 24 hours. (This step enables you to split cake layers with ease.) Using a serrated knife, slice cake layers in half horizontally to make 4 layers. Place 1 layer, cut side up, on a cake plate. Spread with ½ cup cream cheese frosting; sprinkle with one-fourth of chopped cheesecake bites. Repeat procedure with remaining 3 layers, frosting, and cheesecake bites, omitting cheesecake bites on top of last layer. Frost sides and top of cake with remaining frosting. Drizzle desired amount of caramel sauce over cake, letting it drip down sides. Chill until ready to serve. Decorate cake with rolled wafer cookies and remaining chopped cheesecake bites. Store in refrigerator. Yield: 12 servings
Source:
  "Christmas with Southern Living 2007"
My notes: I used three different flavors of cheesecake bites - caramel, chocolate, and cookies & cream - one kind on each layer. I also found devil's food pudding mix instead of the chocolate. I subbed Dove chocolate ice cream topping for the caramel.

• Like 1

I think our favourite restaurant makes this foggie.  Mmmm.  Haven't had one in a few years.

This is a killer chocolate recipe if you use good quality chocolate and real butter. They start out like a brownie in your mouth and then melt like fudge. You should follow the recommendation to refrigerate.

https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1946&dat=19860917&id=s1kiAAAAIBAJ&sjid=XqgFAAAAIBAJ&pg=1123,3142827&hl=en

The Cook's Illustrated Chocolate Mousse Pie is pretty amazing.  It's better the next day, after the chocolate has time to do whatever it does during that.  In fact, for any recipe you're testing, try tasting it over a day or two and see when the flavor peaks.  For some of them it's peak the next day and then goes down.  So if you make it the day of, it won't be as good as it would be made a day earlier. Somebody will help you do the taste testing.  :D

OREO TRUFFLES

8 oz cream cheese

Mush it all together

Freeze in little balls

Melt chocolate

Freeze on bakers paper

Die of happiness

I'm making these tomorrow (for the first time). 

• Like 1

Update:

I made this dessert for the contest.  Wow is this yummy.  I ate a bite (okay two) even though i'm wheat free and sugar free. . .yummy!  I highly recommend this for Christmas dessert.

I chose this recipe because i could fit it into my schedule.  I had a late meeting night before contest so I baked cake two days before.

I tied for first.  The other first place made pistachio fudge, so completely different dessert.  This dessert received many accolades.

Thanks for all the recipes.  They won't be wasted. :)

Cocoa fudge cake

1 ½ cup Sugar

2/3 cup Cocoa

1 ½ t. Baking Soda

1 t. Salt

1 ½ cup Buttermilk

½ cup Shortening

2 Eggs

1 t. Vanilla Extract

1 medium banana

Whipped Cream

1 t. vanilla extract

Chocolate Ganache

1 cup heavy cream

1 T. vanilla extract

To Assemble:

• Like 6

OREO TRUFFLES

8 oz cream cheese

Mush it all together

Freeze in little balls

Melt chocolate

Freeze on bakers paper

Die of happiness

These are amazing!

• Like 1