Menu

It finally happened to me......a stranger's criticism of homeschooling

HSmomof2

Last time DD#1 went to the dentist, the hygienist asked if she'd be going back to school after the appointment. DD said she's homeschooled, and the hygienist says, "I guess the answer's yes, then!" Then she commented on how it was easier for homeschoolers to schedule appointments.

I haven't experienced the anti-homeschooling stranger thing yet, that I can recall. Well, online I have (not here, obviously, except our good friend Olivia21 ;)). But not IRL.

• Like 10

I was in an ER waiting room one time with my little son.  There were 2 older ladies a few chairs away discussing in tsk tsk tones this certain family they knew who homeschooled.

When they got to the part about the parents of this homeschooling family getting all their children started in businesses of their own, I thought, "Wow, that's awesome."

No.  They went on to lament the injustice of not giving those children to skills to start their own businesses, how the parents were ripping their children off of a real education.  They looked at it as if the children were too dumb to live life on their own and they wouldn't have made it without the parents essentially handing them businesses.

Whatever.  I thought of all the stupid arguments against homeschooling, that was about the dumbest one I have ever heard.  

After my ER visit, we reported to our regular doctor.  I told her about the conversation I had overheard and she thought it was ridiculous, too.  My doctor, btw, homeschooled her own children!  :lol:

• Like 5

You have an awesome dentist. You and your DD are awesome by not entertaining that person. It is their loss for not getting to know you all like your dentist. I wish said person could have heard the praise of the dentist. I'm not sure though it would have made a difference in helping said person become open minded.

• Like 1

I agree, great dentist!

I took my girls to a karate class recently (free introductory class, so first time we met the instructor).  When my 7 year old said she didn't know cursive (to sign her waiver), the instructor said, "What are they teaching you in school?!"  I could tell he was joking, but DD looked up and said, "We're HOMEschooled!" and started laughing at his error, while he pretended to be mortified.

(He might have been a little, IDK.  It didn't bother me because really, do 7 yr olds learn cursive in public school?)

• Like 2

Eh yeah.  Well better a stranger than a family member you have to hear from more than once. 

True. When my previous neighbor decided to homeschool her dc her mother went on and on about how that wasn't a good idea. It was very discouraging, and she would occasionally vent to me, looking for encouragement. Thankfully I have encountered neither the random stranger nor family member who was highly opposed to homeschooling. MIL was not quite on board with the idea--I'm not sure she ever was, even 15 years later--but she is a gracious woman who doesn't find it necessary to voice her opinions all the time.

• Like 2

I never understand why people get upset about anti homeschooling comments. We all have had them at some point or time. Heck, as have had them sometimes even after I started homeschooling. I have negative comments about public schools and high schools sometimes also. No matter what choices are made in life, there are positives and negatives. Hopefully, you, or someone else, will get the opportunity to teach the other lady some homeschooling truths. I am so grateful someone taught me.

I love your dentist, but he might want to think about getting real walls to avoid HIPPA violations.

• Like 1

I never understand why people get upset about anti homeschooling comments.

I think sometimes it just gets old.... we were the only homeschoolers in the suburb I started my home ed journey in. Because the town had renowned public schools no one could understand why we wanted to do home ed. Add that to a declining enrolment, people were staying in their family homes when kids were gone so no new kids, the schools had a serious problem. The principal at the neighbourhood elementary let it be known that one more student in first grade meant two classrooms not one......the one more was supposed to be dd....talk about pressure.

• Like 1

I think open rooms are pretty common at dentists offices. I was just thinking about this yesterday during my cleaning as I was listening to the person in the next room to me. He was just a bit off enough that it occurred to me that the openness might give the dental assistants some added safety in case a patient acted inappropriately. I don't generally think in those terms, but he was someone I certainly wouldn't have wanted to be with in a closed room.

I had my first anti homeschooling comments this past week from SIL. She likes to go on and on about being an "educator" (she teaches preschool part time but she acts like she's an overworked college professor) and she took immense pleasure in throwing out passive aggressive comments whenever she could. It was so weird and uncalled for. I was totally caught off guard because I don't mention homeschooling or public school to anyone unless I can't avoid it, but she made it clear she had issues and I was going to HEAR them. As much as it bothered me, it kind of cracks me up that when I engaged with her about actual education issues and child development she was completely clueless. Point made. The rest of it I ignored; you'd have to blind to think my kid is suffering in any way from getting the educational opportunities he does. Of course she knows it, which I guess why she feels so defensive about her "career".

Oh, honey, I'm sorry you had that experience.  And you should feel sorry for that woman.  She's not only ignorant about homeschooling (which is no crime, really, because we can't all know everything), but obviously no one ever told her that it was one thing to ignorant, but that it was quite another to open your mouth and make sure everyone knows you are ignorant.

ETA: one of the things that always gets me about stuff like this, is that I don't understand why people give a _____.  I mean, no one is making them homeschool their kids.  Personally, I think the state of the public schools where I live are so bad it's criminal and I wouldn't send my worst enemy there, but I don't go around ranting about it.  I am, frankly, not a good enough person to spend my time and energy trying to save others from that school.....so what is she trying to accomplish with her homeschool rant?

• Like 2

I never understand why people get upset about anti homeschooling comments. We all have had them at some point or time. Heck, as have had them sometimes even after I started homeschooling. I have negative comments about public schools and high schools sometimes also. No matter what choices are made in life, there are positives and negatives. Hopefully, you, or someone else, will get the opportunity to teach the other lady some homeschooling truths. I am so grateful someone taught me.

I love your dentist, but he might want to think about getting real walls to avoid HIPPA violations.

Most of the time I do the eye roll thing.  But I have been literally cornered a couple of times - once in a hot tub at the Y and once at the library.  Both times were by ladies in their 60's so not where I would feel physically threatened but where I felt embarrassed and awkward by the scene they were making.  And to bring Tammy's comment into it, I have no idea why they would even care.  Well, I do know in the library case.  It was an older librarian who had worked with schoolkids for years.  She felt very strongly about education for kids in society.  I have no idea about the coo-coo in the hot tub.  She asked dd (about 8 years old at the time) where she went to school and then just went off on us very loudly and angrily.  

I felt the same discomfort and even a touch of fear when I had a woman go off on me once in the grocery store parking lot because she thought I had dinged her car that wasn't even close by.  I don't like loud unprovoked scenes.  

• Like 1

Poor you! That stinks.

I'm in the "haven't heard anything negative yet camp."  (Except from my mom, but only to me and only when we started.  She bragged/brags on DD to everyone else.  That was more a symptom of a slightly weird mother-daughter dynamic than any substantive criticism.  She's still awesome despite her quirks.)  I'm seriously hoping that I don't first experience criticism when DD applies for college.

nm

Edited by Bethany Grace
  • Like 1

...Obviously the 'socialization' this lady got in whatever educational background she came from didn't translate to good enough social skills or common sense to not sit in an open space and speak so loudly and ignorantly about something she knows little about. ...

If I were feeling pissy, I could see myself saying, "I can tell that school socialization worked out for you"

• Like 5

So was there radio silence from the other chair area after the dentist greeted you?

(... crickets chirping punctuated by occasional polisher whirring sounds which even themselves seemed awkward ...)

They were leaving as he came over to our side, so I don't know if they heard him or not.

• Like 1

The dentist sounds great!

I met my sister's fiance for the first time a few months ago (they live several states away). The first day of the visit he decided to tell me why I should send my kids to school. I was shocked/taken aback. He was concerned, well convinced, that there is no way to properly socialize kids without the school experience. He's ignorant about homeschooing, but it still bothered me at the time and still does sometimes.

The dentist sounds great!

I met my sister's fiance for the first time a few months ago (they live several states away). The first day of the visit he decided to tell me why I should send my kids to school. I was shocked/taken aback. He was concerned, well convinced, that there is no way to properly socialize kids without the school experience. He's ignorant about homeschooing, but it still bothered me at the time and still does sometimes.

Wow.  So this guy knows how to make a good first impression, right?  Being married to him will be all sorts of fun for your sister.

• Like 2