Menu

Can 40+ successfully wear the leggings/tunic look AND

Shellydon

Yes, over 40 is fine, and IMO over 50 is as well (that's where I'm at).  I like JJill as well as TJ Maxx and Nordstroms Rack.  Ann Taylor and Talbots are good as well, but I always wait for a good sale there.  Don't go too short on the tunic/shirt or it will seem like you're going for the college co-ed look :)

• Like 3

I played bunko last night with a gal in her middle 60s. She wore cute! boots, leggings, a black top with a long black topper it reached middle thigh--even had a touch of fringe on the bottom. She looked stylish and much younger than her age--in the best way possible. She also looked slimmer than I know her to actually be. ;)

That's what I love best about leggings and tunics. They make me look slimmer, too. You can pry them from my OLD and cold, dead hands some day....

:)

• Like 8

Of course it's ok. Age should not dictate what look you can rock. :)

I love Athleta leggings. Some are quite thick and have seams, so they wear more like fitted pants but with all the comfort of yoga pants. :)

Tunics I haven't quite figured out. Mostly to me they just look like oversized shirts and I rarely see them flattering anyone. The very few I've seen worn well are slim cut and form fitting, on tall women with very slim waists. But even then I think they look a bit odd. It's quite likely I'm not entirely sure what they are, and/or they aren't so common where I live.

• Like 1

Tunics I haven't quite figured out. Mostly to me they just look like oversized shirts and I rarely see them flattering anyone. The very few I've seen worn well are slim cut and form fitting, on tall women with very slim waists. But even then I think they look a bit odd. It's quite likely I'm not entirely sure what they are, and/or they aren't so common where I live.

I've found that tunics make most women look wider in the rear and waist area.

• Like 3

Of course it's OK, but like everyone else, it's important to make sure that the tunic is long enough, since leggings aren't pants.

Meh.  I'll disagree.  I exercise quite a bit and pretty much live in exercise clothes.  It's really not that different.  I think people should just be happy I don't go out buck nekkid.  :D

If you want to wear leggings, wear leggings. They're super comfy with tunics.  I found TJ Maxx had a lot of affordable comfy ones. 

• Like 6

Since my bOOks are bigger proportion wise to my body, loose fitting shirts make me look pregnant or heavier than I am. So I have to be careful with tunics and try to find ones that are more fitted than loose. But once I do, I love the look of leggings and tunics on my 50 yo body. :)

This is my concern too. 

Since my bOOks are bigger proportion wise to my body, loose fitting shirts make me look pregnant or heavier than I am. So I have to be careful with tunics and try to find ones that are more fitted than loose. But once I do, I love the look of leggings and tunics on my 50 yo body. :)

Or layer a fitted top with a flowy cardi.

• Like 2

I'm not quite 40, but I also had the problem of the tunic making me look pregnant or just sloppy because of my shape.  I have found though that if I look for the right shapes I can find things that work.  Mainly - I look for a tunic that is more like a short dress, often the kind that crosses over and ties on the side.  A v-neck helps as well.So it is more fitted on top and at the waist but flares in a natural way below.  It can work with a loose cardigan too.

I've also found that if I go for skinny, relativly high waisted, pants or jeans, rather than leggings, I can wear them with a loose but shorter top, with high boots, and it seems to work.  It's a similar kind of look but avoids the "I went out in tights by mistake" approach.

Also,  lady I know at church rather than a tunic uses a mid-calf sweater dress.  It shows off her waist so doesn't make her look pregnant.

• Like 1

I'm not quite 40, but I also had the problem of the tunic making me look pregnant or just sloppy because of my shape.  I have found though that if I look for the right shapes I can find things that work.  Mainly - I look for a tunic that is more like a short dress, often the kind that crosses over and ties on the side.  A v-neck helps as well.So it is more fitted on top and at the waist but flares in a natural way below.  It can work with a loose cardigan too.

I've also found that if I go for skinny, relativly high waisted, pants or jeans, rather than leggings, I can wear them with a loose but shorter top, with high boots, and it seems to work.  It's a similar kind of look but avoids the "I went out in tights by mistake" approach.

Also,  lady I know at church rather than a tunic uses a mid-calf sweater dress.  It shows off her waist so doesn't make her look pregnant.

Sounds perfect.  Any links by chance?

Sounds perfect.  Any links by chance?

I mostly shop at a thrift store.  I've had good luck though with Anne Taylor, sometimes J.Crew or Gap.  Diane Von Furstenburg is reliably good but expensive.  For the most part I find I can't do cheap brands as easily any more though I have good luck with skinny jeans from Old Navy - the high-rise Rock-star are the ones that work for me.  The main thing with leggings, alas, seems to be spending a fair bit of money.

I like to look at the Nordstroms website.  Mostly it is too expensive for me, but I find the pictures give me a good sense of what I am looking for.

I like to look at the Nordstroms website.  Mostly it is too expensive for me, but I find the pictures give me a good sense of what I am looking for.

I have a few "sweater dresses" that I wear with leggings - mostly because they are longer than the tunics that I have found - mine are similar to this:

http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/eliza-j-colorblocka-line-sweater-dress-regular-petite/4071575?

• Like 1

I, too, have larger bOOks and find that v neck tunics look the best.  

Yes! I also look for a collar as that seems to balance things out nicely.

I can't do flared tunics or things that are too flowy. Some of those just make me look heavy and short. Ugh.

Spent the better part of today shopping.  I just cannot pull off this look.  Tunics make me look HUGE.  I am sticking with jeans and t-shirts. :)

I like to do cute, short dresses that hug the waist or are empire style with leggings vs. tunics. That's my dressy look. Ha! But, I'm pretty much a jeans and t-shirt gal too. :D

• Like 1

That's exactly what I do. Wear leggings, very fitted tank/t-shirt and then a looser, open cardigan.

It shows that I have a shape. I look too boxy in a tunic.

See, that is the look I can't get right! I can make it work with skinny jeans, but with leggings I feel like my crotch is on display. Even with nice heavy ones, I just can't seem to do it. I am slender, so I can wear tunics and dresses with leggings with out feeling like a tent, as others are complaining. But whenever I try leggings with a short top, even with a long cardigan, I feel exposed,

See, that is the look I can't get right! I can make it work with skinny jeans, but with leggings I feel like my crotch is on display. Even with nice heavy ones, I just can't seem to do it. I am slender, so I can wear tunics and dresses with leggings with out feeling like a tent, as others are complaining. But whenever I try leggings with a short top, even with a long cardigan, I feel exposed,

This is my concern, too. I can't picture leggings with a short top looking right (due to crotch exposure). Maybe with the cardigan buttoned?

My tanks are long (some of them cover the crotch) but completely form fitting.

My leggings are also very thick and not completely skin tight. They're really not any different than my skinny jeans.

I think all my leggings are from Sam's Club (the brand is June and Daisy). The last pair I bought is "denim" and they are just as thick as my skinny jeans.

ETA - all my leggings are dark. Super dark denim color, black denim, or black.

If anyone wants to stare at my crotch, well, more power to 'em. I really don't care.

• Like 1

I would have to have a tank that ended at my knees :)

• Like 1