Menu

s/o Bible Translations - which do you prefer?

Greta

Just a point of curiosity, inspired by the KJVO thread. Which translation do you use? What do you like about it? What do you think are its limitations or problems (if any)?

My parish uses the New King James Version liturgically, so I also use it for home study, for the sake of consistency. I think that it retains a lot of the beauty of the KJV, but sounds a bit more, I don't know, "approachable" to modern ears. I like it, and I'm not aware of any limitations or problems with it, though I certainly don't claim that it has none.

I also own an ESV New Testament, though I haven't really made use of it, and an Eastern Orthodox Bible, but I haven't really put it to much use either. I need to deepen my study!

So what do you prefer?

It depends. Most translations are adequate, and some are best suited for various people, personalities and purposes.

ESV is great for a studious approach. NIV and NASB are also good for that. (Edited to add NRSV too)

NKJV and KJV are good for liturgy, poetry and familiar applications. They are also good for situations where "formal equivalence" is an advantage -- particularly for recognizing relationships between widely-separated passages.

Easy readers are good for people who want to be 'readers' of chapters and stories in their personal life. Also good for children & youth ministry, and for evangelism or public presentations in diverse situations (ie a reading at a wedding).

• Like 1

I personally read the NIV (1984) because that's what I grew up with and it's familiar.

But we aren't choosey... we have just about every translation in our home.  

DH is in ministry and they have all come in handy/useful at times.

I believe NASB is used in our church. 

I read the NIrV with my kiddos.

• Like 1

I have gone around and around on this, but have settled on NIV. I prefer the old 1984 version, but am coming around on the new version. I just prefer its ease of understanding at this point in my life.

ESV and Hcsb are also very good in my opinion. And I use the NLT for my DD with dyslexia and language issues because it is the most accessible for her to understand.

• Like 1

At this point, mostly the New King James, but I've used various translations throughout the years. When studying particular passages in-depth, I've often gone between translations to attempt to clarify points and gain more understanding. I really wish I'd learned Greek when I was younger, so I wouldn't have to rely on a translation at all! It's my firm belief that all translations have their issues and biases, and that the very best one is the one you'll read :laugh:

• Like 1

I like the KJV for the poesy. I have a Barry Moser Illustrated KJV that is beautiful, great prints and good-sized type laid out with artful typography. Many bibles suffer from onion-skin paper and tiny print, which is hard to read.

For a bible to read for pleasure? The New Jerusalem Bible. This is a "Catholic" bible that is largely used in the English speaking world outside the United States. I like it because it retains the high-literary value of the KJV, but is more contemporary. it is a great pleasure to "read." This version really captures the narrative.

Everett Fox's The Five Book of Moses. As the title suggests this one is only the first 5 books of the Hebrew bible, but this one has a very special feel in how the translation was handled, attempting to mimic feature of Hebrew and retaining the Hebrew names of the characters. Unique and interesting.

Bill

• Like 3

Our church uses the KJV liturgically, except for the psalms which are Coverdale, as they are often sung.  I tend to use that at home as well because I like them to be consistent, and the KJV is my favorite.  I like that it is based on the Greek text, I like that it is poetic, and I like that it has a long history in the English language.

For Bible study, I have a variety of different things to use along side, though there isn't much method to them - I don't know where most of them came from.

• Like 1

I have a Barry Moser Illustrated KJV that is beautiful, great prints and good-sized type laid out with artful typography.

That sounds really nice. Thanks for mentioning this.

For a bible to read for pleasure? The New Jerusalem Bible. This is a "Catholic" bible that is largely used in the English speaking world outside the United States. I like it because it retains the high-literary value of the KJV, but is more contemporary. it is a great pleasure to "read." This version really captures the narrative.

I'd forgotten about this, but someone else recommended this translation to me for the same reason. I appreciate the reminder!

Everett Fox's The Five Book of Moses. As the title suggests this one is only the first 5 books of the Hebrew bible, but this one has a very special feel in how the translation was handled, attempting to mimic feature of Hebrew and retaining the Hebrew names of the characters. Unique and interesting.

Haven't heard of this one. Thanks!

• Like 1

I like the ESV or NLT.

I admit to having a mental block with reading KJV. Too much legalism and forced reading of that manuscript to the point that my authority issues rare up and I just can't read it. One day, I hope to be able to enjoy the poetry of the version.

I can understand this. I have a really hard time when it comes to Revelation because of, well let's just say bad childhood memories.

• Like 1

I change preferences from time to time, but I do really like the Holman Christian Standard Bible.  This may be a "Baptist" thing, not sure, but I'm not one.  lol  I was simply introduced to it while attending a Baptist church.

Anyhow, the thing that really struck me is it's translation of good ol' John 3:16.  Most other translations say, "For God so loved the world..."  and everyone tends to interpret it that God loves us SOOOOO much that He did this for us.  Now, that's true, of course, but the HCSB tranlsates from the original language, not a revision of a former translation (which I didn't realize ESV is--still like it, of course) and states it this way:  "For God loved the world in this way..."  Isn't that neat!!  The other way isn't wrong, per se, but the meaning here is that God showed His love to us in a specific way, a sacrificial way, by giving His only Son.  I just like that a lot and makes me feel that the translators really wanted to get the specific word meanings right.  

I know some people feel that the newer the translation, the more tinkered with it is, but that's not always the case.  Particularly because we are learning more all the time and uncovering helpful translation tools, etc. It's so much like science, IMO.  Older translations worked for what they knew at the time.  Now, we know more.  :)

• Like 1

Oxford Study Bible. It has great historical notes, maps, and footnotes

Yes, the best notes if one wishes for an academic/scholarly perspective.

Only the Anchor-Yale commentaries surpass it (and they run to 44 volumes).

My biggest gripe is the 2010 printing couldn't be more artless in layout or type design. This sort of thing bugs me. Bad fonts, with a poor mix of uncomplementary serif and sans-serif fonts, just ugly.

But great notes.

Bill

• Like 1

Every morning, 2 of my dd's read their German Bibles and the other reads her Russian Bible. (They know those languages.) Sometimes they read me the translation of a verse from those and I really, really like those translations better than my other Bibles. When dd's read me the translated verses, the verses are so much clearer and specific. Those Bibles make the English versions seem very 'mild' in comparison.

Interesting! My dd is studying German right now, though just at a beginner level. Still, I wonder if I could at least find her a copy of the Beatitudes or the Sermon on the Mount in German. That might be a fun exercise for her.

• Like 1

We have several copies of the Bible and I like reading different versions.  I think you can learn from any of them.  Our religion also uses various ones in our publications as different wordings just get the point across differently.  We (myself and my religion) primarily use the New World Translation though.  

• Like 1

I most like the ESV.  We also have the NIV in the house, and while it isn't the nicest sounding translation, I do think it does a better job with the NT then many translations (I think the NIV was translated by sentence, not word by word, which apparently works better with the Greek.  But I'm no where near being an expert). We also own a KJV and a NKJV.     

• Like 1

I like the KJV for the poesy. I have a Barry Moser Illustrated KJV that is beautiful, great prints and good-sized type laid out with artful typography. Many bibles suffer from onion-skin paper and tiny print, which is hard to read.

Bill

Bill, do you know why the New Jerusalem Bible isn't used in the Catholic church in the US.  I was raised RC and the translation they use is awful to read.  I honestly think it's the worst version of the Bible that I have ever read.  It just sounds awkward to the ears, and the sentences don't seem to flow well.  I've never read or seen the New Jerusalem Bible.

• Like 2

Bill, do you know why the New Jerusalem Bible isn't used in the Catholic church in the US.  I was raised RC and the translation they use is awful to read.  I honestly think it's the worst version of the Bible that I have ever read.  It just sounds awkward to the ears, and the sentences don't seem to flow well.  I've never read or seen the New Jerusalem Bible.

I do not know why. I suppose the US Bishops decide. The New Jerusalem Bible is not very common, but it does read like a work of great literature. The translators had an obvious ear for language and the narratives flow. They managed the tricky balance of keeping the language elevated and appropriately formal (this isn not a "good news" type translation) while at the same time not being difficult or obscure. They also retained most of the especially great turns of phrase that have penetrated the culture through the KJV.

it is a version one (me anyway) can sit an read hundreds of pages, as if reading great novel.

It is a good one. IMS the NJB may be in the process of being supplanted (or maybe it has happened already?) as the non-American English Catholic bible. I have a vague memory it was on its way out. Maybe a faulty memory.

Bill

• Like 2

I use the NRSV (Catholic) for every day reading and with my younger kids. I use the Douay-Rheims for personal study and homeschool starting in middle school.

I tutor a boy who has to memorize a verse from the ESV every week for school.  I loved the language until this semester (Romans 8).  I learn the verse alongside him, to help him get it, and man!  The first 17 verses killed me!  I kept tripping it all up.  I can't wait to be done with this chapter LOL.

• Like 1

It's been a few years since I "knew" this so please take this with a little bit of room for bad memory, OK?

The American Bishops did a new translation of the Bible and rolled it out into the Catholic Church and required its use; it is in all the missals and church publications at this point.  The laity strongly objected for the reasons that you mention, that it is wooden, and that it is a point of generational discontinuity.  All of a sudden old people who have been devout their whole lives are having to hear the scriptures they have heard all their lives in new and wooden tones.  I don't know what the result was as I stopped following the story but there was some sort of a revolt and the Bishops were at least listening.  But that is what happened.  

It also MIGHT have been part of an effort to standardize across all Catholic parishes what version was being used, but that is murky in my brain.  

For those interested the website Catholics Online has the New Jerusalem Bible online, so one could pick a book and preview the translation for oneself.

http://www.catholic.org/bible/

The NJB does translate the tetragrammaton as Yahweh rather than using a euphamism or substitution like Jehovah, Adonai, Lord God. Lord G-d, or HaShem, which is controversial for some.

Bill 

• Like 1

For those interested the website Catholics Online has the New Jerusalem Bible online, so one could pick a book and preview the translation for oneself.

http://www.catholic.org/bible/

The NJB does translate the tetragrammaton as Yahweh rather than using a euphamism or substitution like Jehovah, Adonai, Lord God. Lord G-d, or HaShem, which is controversial for some.

Bill

Thanks for the link. I was wanting to look at that one.

• Like 2

The NJB does translate the tetragrammaton as Yahweh rather than using a euphamism or substitution like Jehovah, Adonai, Lord God. Lord G-d, or HaShem, which is controversial for some.

Bill

Well this is probably a really dumb question :blushing: , but why is that controversial?

• Like 1

Well this is probably a really dumb question :blushing: , but why is that controversial?

Well for Jews it is like saying the name of God. The Orthodox will even write G-d instead of God. Never YHWH. Never vocalized. And they generally speak of HaShem (the name).

Fox, who is Jewish and wrote The 5 Books of Moses as a Jewish Bible uses YHWH, when that's what's actually in the text. But hot stuff!

Most Christian Bibles follow the Jewish practice of using a substitute for YHWH. The only Christian Bible I know of that uses Yahweh is the NJB, although there may be others. It is more accurate to the text (assuming the vocalization of the vowels is correct, a debated point) than replacing the name entirely. But...

Bill

• Like 2

I think it's available free online.

It is online.

One of the things that is interesting about the NIV is that it uses a method of translation that "gets the point across" instead of direct translation...and I am a little bit talking through my hat here, in that I don't know all the right words, and I DO respect the complicated task that *is* translation.  I sat under Dr. Bruce Metzger who was on the translation team for the RSV and led the effort on the NRSV; I learned *something* about why translation is part science and part art.  I say that not to establish some red hot credential for myself, but to (I hope) prevent people from having to respond with long explanations about how translation works.  :0)  

The thing is, when you are translating, it is very difficult to separate your own preconceptions from the work at hand.  The NIV was produced by a group of evangelical scholars and with evangelical theology comes some core beliefs that ended up getting reflected in the translation.  A pretty obvious example (and one that is noted by Orthodox and Roman Catholic and some Anglican/Episcopal) Christians is this one:  There is a word for "tradition" that is used in multiple places in the epistles.  However, in the NIV, when there is a *warning against* practices empty of meaning, the NIV translators used the word "tradition."  When it is a warning to "heed what we say to you and write here," that exact same word is translated "teachings."  This rendering is pretty obviously tied to Evangelical wariness of the "tradition" debate that most people reading here will know about.  

So that's one issue.  

Another one:  in Acts 2:26ish (sorry, too lazy to look it up), the verse talks about how the apostles continued in fellowship and in prayer.  But the Greek is "the prayers"--there is a definite article, and that sounds a little bit liturgical.  

Another:  in most modern translations, Christ is called a minister of our worship...but the word is actually "the liturgist".  Again...  

These and other reasons are why the NIV has a strong following among those who hold to the same preconceptions/theology but not among the rest.  

Translating is an interesting process.  A modern story of some translators of great Russian masterpieces is quite interesting.  The translating team of Pevear and Volokhonsky is quite interesting.  In preparing to do their translations, they actually spent time at an Orthodox Christian seminary, to learn the Christian theology that is the backdrop of Russian culture.  There are enough differences in the ways the West and the East see things, even through a Christian lens, that it colored their translation and made it more reflective of the authors' Christian understanding.  I can't find the articles I have read on this, and there are differing viewpoints as to whether their translations are the BEST, but they have generally been acknowledged to reflect the Russian mind in a richer way than most that have gone before. 

I think the same is true for any translation work...it has to be done with a sensitivity and understanding of the culture and traditions of the minds that wrote the originals.  

Now, back to my regularly scheduled KonMari-ing.