Menu

Why is Le Cruset (sp) so $$$?

Moxie

Snoot factor, most likely, tho I'm guessing it is better made than many brands.

I guess it is the one thing I will be snooty about. I love my Le Crueset. Plus it's so pretty. Sometimes I leave it out on my stove just so I can admire it. I'm odd that way about certain kitchen appliances.

Mine was on clearance, and I did get a good deal on it. I wouldn't have bought it otherwise. I'd been watching for a long time.

• Like 1

Because being made in France means that you are sure it was manufactured according to modern standards.  There have been manufacturing problems with some made in China brands, where they are supposed to (but often don't) use modern standards, including the all-important NO LEAD PAINT standard for the interior enamel.  It's a trust issue.  If you trust that the made in China brand won't have lead in the paint, it's probably as good a LC.  If you don't trust that the one from China is lead-free, then I suggest finding something else.

I can't afford the LC, either.  I have found that my non-enamel, Lodge dutch oven works pretty darn good for almost everything once it was well seasoned.  The only thing I can't do well with it is make a sauce by deglazing (it ruins the seasoning).

• Like 4

In defense of Le Crueset, there are LC outlets here and there.  Twenty-five years ago, I picked up a couple of small skillets at one for next to nothing.  It had to be next to nothing, because I was pretty poor at the time.  I didn't even know what LC was and eventually threw the skillets away in a move.  So shoot me.  Anyway, I doubt there are still such bargains to be had (outlets ain't what they used to be), but you never know!  Doesn't LC show up at Tuesday Morning from time to time as well?

Because being made in France means that you are sure it was manufactured according to modern standards.  There have been manufacturing problems with some made in China brands, where they are supposed to (but often don't) use modern standards, including the all-important NO LEAD PAINT standard for the interior enamel.  It's a trust issue.  If you trust that the made in China brand won't have lead in the paint, it's probably as good a LC.  If you don't trust that the one from China is lead-free, then I suggest finding something else.

I can't afford the LC, either.  I have found that my non-enamel, Lodge dutch oven works pretty darn good for almost everything once it was well seasoned.  The only thing I can't do well with it is make a sauce by deglazing (it ruins the seasoning).

I have that a Lodge Dutch oven and I don't love it.  I like to make soup and stews and it takes the seasoning off.  Plus, I like to wash with water.  Plus, lets be honest, I'm lazy.  Cast iron is too much hassle. 

• Like 1

I have that a Lodge Dutch oven and I don't love it.  I like to make soup and stews and it takes the seasoning off.  Plus, I like to wash with water.  Plus, lets be honest, I'm lazy.  Cast iron is too much hassle. 

I'm missing something....what else would someone wash with besides water?  I always use water (and usually a clean scrub rag).  I haven't found soups and stews to take the seasoning off.  Hm.  Maybe you need to season it harder before use?  I wonder what the difference could be between what I'm doing and what you're doing.  I need to think.  I use cast iron because it's not a hassle (nothing sticks to the stuff once it's seasoned). 

Anyhoo, if you really don't like cast iron and don't want to see if you can work through the issues, than I would save my pennies until I could get a LC.

• Like 2

I have no idea why they're expensive, but just wanted to say that I bought the Tramontina Dutch Oven recommended by America's Test Kitchen. It was about $40-50 when I bought it several years ago. I LOVE IT! It's on my burner right now because it gets used so often. :) It's one of my favorite kitchen items. And I agree with the above poster about it being pretty...mine isn't LC, but it is pretty just sitting there. Mine is dark green.

Edit: typo

• Like 6

I have no idea why they're expensive, but just wanted to say that I bought the Tramontina Dutch Oven recommended by America's Test Kitchen. It was about $40-50 when I bought it several years ago. I LOVE IT! It's on my burned right now because it gets used so often. :) It's one of my favorite kitchen items. And I agree with the above poster about it being pretty...mine isn't LC, but it is pretty just sitting there. Mine is dark green.

I have a Tramontina Dutch oven and a LC. I've had the Tramontina for about 7 years and use it a couple times a week. I actually use it more than the LC because it's a little bigger.

I'm very happy with the Tramontina and I would buy more of it.

• Like 2

I'm missing something....what else would someone wash with besides water?  I always use water (and usually a clean scrub rag).  I haven't found soups and stews to take the seasoning off.  Hm.  Maybe you need to season it harder before use?  I wonder what the difference could be between what I'm doing and what you're doing.  I need to think.  I use cast iron because it's not a hassle (nothing sticks to the stuff once it's seasoned). 

Anyhoo, if you really don't like cast iron and don't want to see if you can work through the issues, than I would save my pennies until I could get a LC.

Wondering the same as TammyS.

Cast iron is low maintenance and I just heat up water in it, let it boil and it takes off all the food remnants. Pour out water and wipe clean with a rag or paper towel. Is yours adequately seasoned?

IKEA has a dutch oven that is not manufactured in China for considerably less than Le Creuset.

My aunt who was a gourmet cook did not care that much for Le Creuset because the glaze came off. I'd do some more research on proper seasoning and alternatives that are not made in China...unless you like to be able to say: "Here is my Le Creuset...?" :)

I have a Tramontina Dutch oven and a LC. I've had the Tramontina for about 7 years and use it a couple times a week. I actually use it more than the LC because it's a little bigger.

I'm very happy with the Tramontina and I would buy more of it.

When Cook's magazine did a comparison between Le Creuset and Tramontina, they could not see a difference. Glad you mentioned this because I had forgotten the name. Where is Tramontina manufactured?

• Like 1

I have a Sam's knockoff.  The inside coating has become badly stained (I cook ALOT) but upthread someone mentioned Le Creuset will do the same thing.

I thought the purpose of buying such an expensive piece would be to eliminate the problem I'm having with enamel.

The first time it stained was from beans soaking overnight.  My pot has little black bean stamps :) fun, but annoying.

How do you do this? Boil the water and salt in the pan?

No boiling. Pour a bit of coarse sea salt in the pan with water, make it pasty and scrub, then rinse. Dry as normal. Swipe a little olive oil with paper towel around the inside and done.

• Like 3

I have a Sam's knockoff.  The inside coating has become badly stained (I cook ALOT) but upthread someone mentioned Le Creuset will do the same thing.

I thought the purpose of buying such an expensive piece would be to eliminate the problem I'm having with enamel.

The first time it stained was from beans soaking overnight.  My pot has little black bean stamps :) fun, but annoying.

Le Creuset  sells a cleaner that works miracles on those stains inside the pots. I dampen the enamel, pour in the cleaner, and wipe with with a paper towel. Too much water makes it ineffective so I barely wet it. Then I wash it again to remove any cleaner left behind. It's crazy- I can scrub like crazy and the stain remains, but if I just wipe it with the enamel cleaner the stains disappear.  I also have a Rachel Ray enamel pot and it works on that too. 

• Like 1

"Le Creuset  sells a cleaner that works miracles on those stains inside the pots. I dampen the enamel, pour in the cleaner, and wipe with with a paper towel. Too much water makes it ineffective so I barely wet it. Then I wash it again to remove any cleaner left behind. It's crazy- I can scrub like crazy and the stain remains, but if I just wipe it with the enamel cleaner the stains disappear.  I also have a Rachel Ray enamel pot and it works on that too. "

REAllly??  That would be great.  I love this pot, it holds heat sooo much better than my Cuisinart stainless one.  GREAT for stews in the oven.

http://www.amazon.com/Creuset-12-Ounce-Enameled-Cast-Iron-Cleaner/dp/B000E5D04E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1446835339&sr=8-1&keywords=le+creuset+cleaner

I've had really good luck but I see some reviewers didn't see results. I think it's two things: Too much water (I really shouldn't use any but my pot is wet from washing) and you have to shake the bottle really well because the active ingredient makes a sludge at the bottom and you need to redistribute it so you're getting more than milky water coming out. 

• Like 1

Le Creuset sells a cleaner that works miracles on those stains inside the pots. I dampen the enamel, pour in the cleaner, and wipe with with a paper towel. Too much water makes it ineffective so I barely wet it. Then I wash it again to remove any cleaner left behind. It's crazy- I can scrub like crazy and the stain remains, but if I just wipe it with the enamel cleaner the stains disappear. I also have a Rachel Ray enamel pot and it works on that too.

That's good to know although it's rather expensive, for me at least. Does it last long? I've used peroxide and baking soda (Spy Car's recommendation), and it worked well but still left a light brown stain. That was after my dd managed to burn split pea soup in it. It was a mess.

That's good to know although it's rather expensive, for me at least. Does it last long? I've used peroxide and baking soda (Spy Car's recommendation), and it worked well but still left a light brown stain. That was after my dd managed to burn split pea soup in it. It was a mess.

When I logged onto Amazon to search for the cleaner, Amazon said I bought it in October of 2012. I have about half left. 

• Like 1

Part of it is likely because the French factory workers get a living wage, a pension, sick leave, and safe working conditions, while the Chinese ones get a subsistence wage, unsafe working conditions, and are sent off with nothing when they are old or injured.

Exactly. And, craftsmanship.

Also, my Le Creuset pots come with a 99 year warranty. I can pass these suckers down to my kids :)

I paid $289 (sale, yay!) for my LC Dutch oven, and $150 something for my 1 qt. (?) pot.

Got my small skillet for Christmas.

They are worth every stinking penny and I don't regret spending the $$ at all.

I plan to buy more as I need them....

• Like 3

I asked this question at Sur la Table when I was agonizing over the enormous Dutch Oven Decision of Aught-Eight.  AT THAT TIME, there were two other brands in their store and they were cheaper.  But the lady at the store whispered in my ear "This brand chips."  I HATE stuff that works but looks crummy because I don't like looking at it and I can't throw it out.  I got the LeCreuset.  It makes wonderful soup and I can brown meat in it, finish it in the over, deglaze the pot for a gravy and pretty much soap-and-water wipe it clean.  No stains.   One pot.  

I did talk to a man who used to sell LC and started selling Staub instead; he said it browns better and it has those pointy things on the inside of the lid that keep basting the meat (the Emile Henri has this too).  Point taken.  

I did get another non-ginormous LC dutch oven and I use it allll the time.  I think I have used my stainless cook set about 3 times this year; the LCs are pretty much all I use anymore.  I admit part of it is liking the color.  It's pretty to look at and it presents the food well.  (That's the main thing I like about the LC over the Staub--the light interior.  It presents the food well.)

My mom never had a dutch oven so this was a whole new world for me.  :0)

Just to make y'll green with envy.  I figure it is OK, because I wasn't the beneficiary.  I was on a scuba diving trip, where we were boat diving.  In this area, the rules are that you can take any man-made stuff, but natural stuff had to be left.  My dive buddy opened the oven of a WWII American boat and found a LC lasagna pan the size of the oven!    It was in excellent shape.  

• Like 6

I sweet-soft-kitten-baby LOVE my LC. We had an enamel issue with one, and after a couple photos and emails, LC sent me a brand new one. I've bought all of mine at Tuesday Morning. One had a scratch (minor) on the lid and they gave me 10% off the clearance price. Sweet!! To me, the heirloom quality, the craftsmanship, and the customer service have made it all worth it!!

Just to make y'll green with envy. I figure it is OK, because I wasn't the beneficiary. I was on a scuba diving trip, where we were boat diving. In this area, the rules are that you can take any man-made stuff, but natural stuff had to be left. My dive buddy opened the oven of a WWII American boat and found a LC lasagna pan the size of the oven! It was in excellent shape.

That's so cool!

• Like 1

I purchased my LC from Marshalls. It was only a little bit more expensive than the pot carried at Sam's. Of course, I wasn't able to be picky about the color, but that was fine with me. I absolutely love my LC , but it is very discolored because I used it several times a week. It is one of my best purchases ever.

I asked this question at Sur la Table when I was agonizing over the enormous Dutch Oven Decision of Aught-Eight. AT THAT TIME, there were two other brands in their store and they were cheaper. But the lady at the store whispered in my ear "This brand chips." I HATE stuff that works but looks crummy because I don't like looking at it and I can't throw it out. I got the LeCreuset. It makes wonderful soup and I can brown meat in it, finish it in the over, deglaze the pot for a gravy and pretty much soap-and-water wipe it clean. No stains. One pot.

I did talk to a man who used to sell LC and started selling Staub instead; he said it browns better and it has those pointy things on the inside of the lid that keep basting the meat (the Emile Henri has this too). Point taken.

I did get another non-ginormous LC dutch oven and I use it allll the time. I think I have used my stainless cook set about 3 times this year; the LCs are pretty much all I use anymore. I admit part of it is liking the color. It's pretty to look at and it presents the food well. (That's the main thing I like about the LC over the Staub--the light interior. It presents the food well.)

My mom never had a dutch oven so this was a whole new world for me. :0)

I have at least 7 LC pots and love them. My current go to place to buy them is Home Goods. You may have to make multiple trips to find what you want, but prices are low, low, low.

A chef friend of mine uses Staub at home. Not nearly as well known here, but comparable to LC. Similar pricing, btw.

I asked this question at Sur la Table when I was agonizing over the enormous Dutch Oven Decision of Aught-Eight. AT THAT TIME, there were two other brands in their store and they were cheaper. But the lady at the store whispered in my ear "This brand chips." I HATE stuff that works but looks crummy because I don't like looking at it and I can't throw it out. I got the LeCreuset. It makes wonderful soup and I can brown meat in it, finish it in the over, deglaze the pot for a gravy and pretty much soap-and-water wipe it clean. No stains. One pot.

I did talk to a man who used to sell LC and started selling Staub instead; he said it browns better and it has those pointy things on the inside of the lid that keep basting the meat (the Emile Henri has this too). Point taken.

I did get another non-ginormous LC dutch oven and I use it allll the time. I think I have used my stainless cook set about 3 times this year; the LCs are pretty much all I use anymore. I admit part of it is liking the color. It's pretty to look at and it presents the food well. (That's the main thing I like about the LC over the Staub--the light interior. It presents the food well.)

My mom never had a dutch oven so this was a whole new world for me. :0)

I have at least 7 LC pots and love them. My current go to place to buy them is Home Goods. You may have to make multiple trips to find what you want, but prices are low, low, low.

A chef friend of mine uses Staub at home. Not nearly as well known here, but comparable to LC. Similar pricing, btw.

As for price, I divide the cost by about 20 to come up with the cost per year. Actually, I have had some of my LC much longer than 20 years. I have never regretted that money.