Menu

Windows 10

maize

my computer has issues   (I've had to restrain myself from throwing it against the wall at times.)   my new computer won't be here until next week.

I have updated - the only issues I've had are probably related to the computer issues I have.  I wanted to get a bit familiar with it before the new one arrives.  I'll have to update the new one - but it's a touchscreen and 10 has some features that are very touchscreen friendly.

• Like 1

Windows 10 has ruined my life*.  I cannot use Word or open PDFs now.  I cannot print due to not being able to use Word or PDFs.  I had solved my Shockwave flash issues on Windows 8/Chrome (after working on it long and hard), but it is intermittently back.

*This may be slight hyperbole but not much.

• Like 3

I was wondering about this. I still have Windows 7, and I was wondering if I ought to update or not. The Microsoft pop-up on my computer keeps telling me I need to. (LOL)

It is a lot more similar to seven than 8.1. I keep pointing out differences to my husband but he doesn't notice them and he is "meh" about the apps. "I don't even like the apps on my phone." He says. He does all his computer stuff in the browser.

• Like 1

The only problem with windows 10 is the updates. Set the automatic windows update to a convenient time or set it to manual update. Someone in my family set the auto update time to 3am :lol:

Windows 10 has ruined my life*. I cannot use Word or open PDFs now. I cannot print due to not being able to use Word or PDFs

Use word online or google docs for editing and printing word documents and any browser to open and print PDFs.

ETA:

I installed Adobe Reader for PDFs since I like that better than using the web browser.

• Like 2

I have upgraded three of our machines so far. Two went smoothly without a hitch. The third one gave me a warning that a driver was not certified but let me continue anyway. Turns out that was a Very Bad Idea and that driver is now having problems under Win 10 and keeps timing out. I'm working with the manufacturer now, but will probably have to replace the hard drive that insisting that driver.

So, as long as it doesn't throw any warnings, I think you are fine.

• Like 1

Windows 10 has ruined my life*. I cannot use Word or open PDFs now. I cannot print due to not being able to use Word or PDFs. I had solved my Shockwave flash issues on Windows 8/Chrome (after working on it long and hard), but it is intermittently back.

*This may be slight hyperbole but not much.

Wow, Tex, so sorry. That bites. That is how my machine worked on windows 8, so I totally get it.

Fwiw, I am one that actually likes it MUCH better.

• Like 1

I started a thread about Win 10, several months ago, and then after we received an external USB hard drive, but before I could do a "System Image" of the hard drive in her E6400 laptop, my wife upgraded from Win 7 to Win 10.  That was on a Dell Latitude E6400 with a Core 2 Duo CPU and 4 GB of RAM.

At first, she liked Win 10, but then her laptop got slower and slower and slower and slower...  Not sure why.   On eBay, I bought a DVD for $6.99, that has the installation files for Win 7, so I could install Win 7 Professional on the Used Dell Latitude E6410 laptop I won on eBay last month. It has a license for Win 7 Pro and that is what I installed on it.  In fact, it is sitting here on my desk and I updated the BIOS this morning and now I am updating Drivers.  Now, back to her E6400....   After we got the $6.99 DVD with the Win 7 files, I nuked the Win 10 installation and did a "Clean" install of Win 7 Home Premium.   My wife is going to stay with Win 7 on her 2 laptops, to minimize problems.  Also, there is a risk, depending upon the hardware you are running on, that the OEM (Dell, HP, etc.) will  not have (or ever develop) Drivers for Win 10 (that is the case for our Dell Latitude laptops, which are models sold to "Enterprise" customers) and not all of the hardware may work, properly or at all, if the Drivers for Win 7 don't work under Win 10.

If you contemplate upgrading to Win 10, I would suggest that first you make a "System Image" of your hard drive with Clonezilla Live, and that you store that in a safe place and pray that if you need to restore from it, that it will work properly. Then, I would upgrade to Win 10 and quickly (within a week or 2) decide whether or not you want to permanently use Win 10. If not, then pray that you can revert to Win 7.  If not, get out the external hard drive with the System Image you made with Clonezilla LIve.

IMHO, the safest bet is with Windows 7, but DD has an E6400 laptop with Windows 8.1 and she doesn't have any problems with it. (I was very careful, when I did the "OOBE" (Out of Box Experience or first boot of the OS) so that it does not have a log in with Microsoft. It has a local User login, as do our Windows 7 boxes.

GL

• Like 2

Ds has it on his tablet and has no complaints. I tried to update my laptop from 7 to 10 and it kept getting hung up, so I stopped trying. Though I would have liked to update just for the sake of it,  I'm not unhappy with 7. When I get a new computer, which isn't likely to be soon, I'll have the latest os. Until then, if what I have keeps working, I'll just stick with it. 

We updated, but only because certain apps weren't working any longer with 8. We actually updated awhile ago, hated it, reverted back to 8 where we were very happy, and just went back to 10 when things stopped working. I don't like it and wish we could keep 8, but apparently that isn't to be.

We have a brand new touchscreen computer that ran beautifully with 8. 10 is far less touchscreen and tile friendly, a real step backward imo. But it's deliberate; apparently Windows users didn't like the more modern features of 8 (so my Dh has read, sorry no links or anything). So now we are stuck with a computer that could be much more user friendly, if only the operating system was. I'm hoping for a quick correction.

I thought Windows 8 was a nightmare. We updated 4 computers in our house. 3 out of 4 updates went flawlessly. My desktop had an issue that was specific to a specific dell Inspiron model. I eventually found the fix but it was not easy! If I had windows 8, I would do it in a second. If I had windows 7 I would consider how old it is and how much longer I would be using that machine before updating. The one we had troubles with was the oldest Machine we are running.

I'm holding off for now.  I have Windows 8.1.  My brother works for a chain store doing computer repair and he tells me that 95 percent of their business since the release of 10 has been issues with the new upgrade.  Apparently there is a lot of software out there that isn't compatible with Windows 10. 

I don't know what to do.  My computer came with 8.1, and I actually like it. I have a touch screen.

• Like 2

I updated all the computers in the house. I like it much better than 8.1 and I do not know why. It does take a bit of getting used to. I have not have any compatibilty problems. My only gripe is Edge. I dont like it and it infuriated dh whenever he would try to print from the browser. Also, our security software (McAfee) popped up and said that Edge is not safe and recommended he revert to IE. Something to do with antiphishing and identity protection.

Sigh.  Ds's old laptop holds our checkbook.  I remembered years ago not upgrading some computer when it was free and then having to pay to upgrade later.  So, I upgraded his old laptop (not that old - maybe 4 years).  I don't know if it was 7 or 8 or what.  I'm sorry I did.  The CD/DVD drive no longer works.  The guest accounts has disappeared.  Sometimes, when I type, it flips out and highlights the field I'm typing in, then starts typing at the start again. 

I procrastinated.  I found out 2 months later that I could have reverted back for free within 1 month.  Keep that in mind.  I wish I hadn't done it.  Apparently, I screwed it up.  If you do it, go slowly and read everything carefully.

It depends on whether or not you have a touchscreen. Windows 8 was designed for touchscreens, and works quite well for them. For non-touchscreens, it's pretty terrible. My laptop/tablet hybrid lost a lot of functionality when I upgraded to 10, and I've since ''downgraded'' back to 8.1. A touchscreen OS for a touchscreen device.

I hear 10 is great for non-touchscreens.

• Like 1

I'm sticking with 7 as long as I can.  I bought this non-touchscreen laptop new about 18 months ago with 7 installed in order to could avoid new Windows versions.

A Dell project manager I know told me that Windows 10 scans your computers to check for anything that could possibly be pirated and sends a lot of info back to Microsoft.  I don't have anything pirated on mine, but I also don't need Big Brother looking over my shoulder.

I run it in Parallels on my Mac. It is pretty good actually. Unfortunately the stupid ribbon stuff remains, but aside from those poor choices the OS, itself, could be much worse.

It depends on whether or not you have a touchscreen. Windows 8 was designed for touchscreens, and works quite well for them. For non-touchscreens, it's pretty terrible. My laptop/tablet hybrid lost a lot of functionality when I upgraded to 10, and I've since ''downgraded'' back to 8.1. A touchscreen OS for a touchscreen device.

I hear 10 is great for non-touchscreens.

Have you had any issues with apps no longer working with 8? Many of ours suddenly stopped--Mail, weather, news, etc--and we figured Windows wasn't supporting them any longer, thereby forcing us to 10. I really liked 8 and would prefer to go back (again).

I've been hesitant because I do hear about problems.  I have Windows 8.1 on a Lenova Yoga (switches from laptop to tablet mode) with a touchscreen.

An IT guy at work told me about Windows 10 basically installing malware on your computer to monitor what you are doing and send information to Microsoft.   

Follow on: 

Some mentions here of Windows 8.   If anyone is using Windows 8, they should upgrade to Windows 8.1 which is much better.

After we unexpectedly ordered a Refurbished Laptop for DD with Windows 8.1 on it, instead of Windows 7, which is our normal OS, I did quite a bit of reading on the web, about how to configure 8.1 during the OOBE (Out of Box Experience or First Boot of the OS).

There were 2 things I did  during the OOBE which I suspect have made Windows 8.1  trouble free for DD.

(1) I set it up so that the User logs in from a Local User Account and not with a Microsoft (Hotmail, etc.) account and

(2) I set it up to boot to the Desktop

When my wife did the Upgrade to Windows 10 on her E6400, I believe that she let it go ahead and use the Default log in, which was her Hotmail account, and I suspect that is where some of the issues came from. And, that she used Default Microsoft settings about what was installed and the settings.

I just finished with her Dell Latitude E6410 and it now has the latest BIOS, Drivers, Windows Updates, etc.  

If you have a machine you have a COA (Certificate of Authority) for, with a Product Key (25 digits), and you want to do a "Clean" install of that version of Windows, you can do as I did and buy a DVD with the Windows reInstallation files, on eBay for $7 to $10.    

I am contemplating buying one of those DVDs for Windows 8.1, because DDs Dell Latitude E6400 was purchased from Blair Technology Group (a MAR or Microsoft Authorized Refurbisher) and Microsoft does not permit OEMs or MARs  to include a DVD for doing a clean installation. There is a Restore Partition on the Hard Drive, but if the hard drive fails, or becomes corrupted, the Restore Partition will be useless.

There is probably a better chance of success of Windows 10 working properly if you have recent "Consumer" grade (low end) hardware and nothing exotic.  "Enterprise" customers will probably stay with Windows 7 as long as possible.

I've been hesitant because I do hear about problems. I have Windows 8.1 on a Lenova Yoga (switches from laptop to tablet mode) with a touchscreen.

An IT guy at work told me about Windows 10 basically installing malware on your computer to monitor what you are doing and send information to Microsoft.

You can go into Settings and block most of that. It was the first thing I did. ;)

Have you had any issues with apps no longer working with 8? Many of ours suddenly stopped--Mail, weather, news, etc--and we figured Windows wasn't supporting them any longer, thereby forcing us to 10. I really liked 8 and would prefer to go back (again).

I never used any apps, so I don't have any data on that. Were you on 8 or 8.1?