Menu

my brain is mush...help me calculate grade level

Parents' choice here. Typically poverty would send him as soon as eligible, and wealth would send him as an older. If highly gifted, he would skip a grade and/or grad high school in 3. If the parent wants him to be a star athlete, he will be older regardless of family income.

8th grade in CT

Totally the opposite here.  Poverty would lead to a child unprepared and not ready for K.  If they do start early they are often more likely to repeat a grade in K through 3rd,

Wealth would lead to a child more prepared for school and and parents would register as soon as the child is eligible.  To many parents redshirting would indicate an unprepared child and/or a learning disability  and would therefore not be preferred.

The sports culture isn't pervasive enough for parents to redshirt because of it.  Academics are where parents become competitive.

• Like 1

Well it's certainly a relief to know that it's controversial on these boards.  On the one hand, I was a November baby and nowhere near the oldest in my class; all the kids with September and October birthdays were older than me.  But it's nice that know he could go either way.  

Doesn't the term "redshirting" now extend to academics as well as sports, particularly when it comes to delaying K?  

• Like 1

CA, where  I attended school, the cut off is December 2 so the child would be in 8th. In the southeastern state I live in now the cut off is September 30 so that same child would be in 7th. My November 2003 child is in 6th this year and is endlessly fascinated by the fact that he could be in 7th grade instead, simply by moving.

Redshirting is very common here for academic and athletic reasons almost exclusively among more well to do families. Poorer famiiles typically enroll their children in state sponsored PreK as soon as the child is eligible.  This leads to classes with students that have a 1 1/2 year age range and vast differences in  physical, emotional and intellectual maturity. Last year, in my DS 5th grade class, there were obviously physically mature and intellectually unchallenged students who would have benefited from starting middle school rather than staying in elementary school. I'm not a fan of red shirting.

Our schools don't retain students but neither do they accelerate. It's a one size fits all system and if a child could benefit from starting school later (and some do) that same child has virtually no chance of having the decision "re-evaluated" at a later time so that he or she could possibly be moved up. I'm also not a fan of early, arbitrary cut off dates, but , hey, that's one of the reasons I decided to homeschool my November birthday DS!

• Like 1

CA, where I attended school, the cut off is December 2 so the child would be in 8th. In the southeastern state I live in now the cut off is September 30 so that same child would be in 7th. My November 2003 child is in 6th this year and is endlessly fascinated by the fact that he could be in 7th grade instead, simply by moving.

Redshirting is very common here for academic and athletic reasons almost exclusively among more well to do families. Poorer famiiles typically enroll their children in state sponsored PreK as soon as the child is eligible. This leads to classes with students that have a 1 1/2 year age range and vast differences in physical, emotional and intellectual maturity. Last year, in my DS 5th grade class, there were obviously physically mature and intellectually unchallenged students who would have benefited from starting middle school rather than staying in elementary school. I'm not a fan of red shirting.

Our schools don't retain students but neither do they accelerate. It's a one size fits all system and if a child could benefit from starting school later (and some do) that same child has virtually no chance of having the decision "re-evaluated" at a later time so that he or she could possibly be moved up. I'm also not a fan of early, arbitrary cut off dates, but , hey, that's one of the reasons I decided to homeschool my November birthday DS!

The CA cut off used to be Dec. 2, it is now Sept. 1.
  • Like 1

8th grade in CT

Totally the opposite here. Poverty would lead to a child unprepared and not ready for K. If they do start early they are often more likely to repeat a grade in K through 3rd,

Wealth would lead to a child more prepared for school and and parents would register as soon as the child is eligible. To many parents redshirting would indicate an unprepared child and/or a learning disability and would therefore not be preferred.

The sports culture isn't pervasive enough for parents to redshirt because of it. Academics are where parents become competitive.

Do poorer parents really hold there kids back for being unprepared? From what I have seen they send then as soon as possible because they cannot afford day care.
  • Like 1

Another way of calculating this is by expected graduation date. Most kids graduate high school the June after they turn 18. Calculate when that would be and work back to now. But some kids graduate at 17 or 19, depending on where in the year their birthday falls, or some other reason. It doesn't really matter all too much on paper. When the kid wants to launch into college or work, or is able to launch, is another matter.

• Like 2

Do poorer parents really hold there kids back for being unprepared? From what I have seen they send then as soon as possible because they cannot afford day care.

If the parents have their children in a Head Start pre-K program it does not matter because they are not paying for it. 

If the parents have their children in a Head Start pre-K program it does not matter because they are not paying for it.

I am pretty sure that around here head start does not take children who are school aged.

I just did some research, and the federal age limit is "compulsary school age"; that of course varies from state to state.

You couldn't get free Head Start if the kid qualified by the official cut-off to be in K. This is actually why the state I grew up in changed their cut off date to be even earlier than it already was. So many people were holding back their kids that the state officials didn't want to dis-advantage the poor that used Head Start and who had kids who might not be ready to start K just after they turned 5.

And, on the original topic ... 7th grade although I know of several homeschooling moms who have late (Nov/Dec) birthday kiddos who have them in the next grade up (high school age now).

You couldn't get free Head Start if the kid qualified by the official cut-off to be in K. This is actually why the state I grew up in changed their cut off date to be even earlier than it already was. So many people were holding back their kids that the state officials didn't want to dis-advantage the poor that used Head Start and who had kids who might not be ready to start K just after they turned 5.

And, on the original topic ... 7th grade although I know of several homeschooling moms who have late (Nov/Dec) birthday kiddos who have them in the next grade up (high school age now).

In CT Head start is for children btw the ages of 3 and 5.  Compulsory education in school begins at age 5,   But cutoffs are Dec 31st so many children starting K are 4 1/2.  It is those 4 1/2 year old that can be eligible for another year of Head Start or redshirted.

In CT Head start is for children btw the ages of 3 and 5.  Compulsory education in school begins at age 5,   But cutoffs are Dec 31st so many children starting K are 4 1/2.  It is those 4 1/2 year old that can be eligible for another year of Head Start or redshirted.

I see CT's cutoff is now the latest in the Union & they are mulling a change, too. ... And it looks like pre-school programs for low income families is one of their major concerns in making the change. 

kitten 18—the cut in CA is now September 1st????!!! AGGGHHHHH!!!! Wrong way move in my opinion.....

Guess I'm actually better off where I am now with the (too early in my opinion) September 30th cut off date. SHEESH!!!!

CT, Don't do it!! Don't give in!!!! Don't conform!!!! : P

My dd is Novemeber 2003 and has started 7th grade.  We are in CA so when she started the cut-off was in December.  It has now changed but I'm not moving her back a grade?!  So for November 2002 that would put child in 8th grade in CA.

My dd is Novemeber 2003 and has started 7th grade.  We are in CA so when she started the cut-off was in December.  It has now changed but I'm not moving her back a grade?!  So for November 2002 that would put child in 8th grade in CA.

Of course you wouldn't move her back a grade. The cut-off date for compulsory school attendance is not retroactive. :-)