Menu

(Very cautious) Update: Off-campus housing (very affordable) for a minor?

Jenny in Florida

Jenny, is he at the USF? If so, here is an apartment that might be close enough though I don't enough about the area to know if it would work.

http://www.apartmentguide.com/apartments/Florida/Tampa/Reflections-Apartments/18054/

It's around $475.00 a month...not sure if that is low enough or not. Around here with a 14 meals per week plan, room and board runs nearly $10,000 per year for just the two regular semesters which means less than 9 months!

Not that I can find. The one hostel in town that I see listed anywhere is the one Teachin' Mine posted about earlier. 

I found two search engines that claim to help locate youth hostels. One returned no hits when I searched a variety of date options in Tampa. The other showed a page explaining that Tampa is not a good city for that kind of lodging and linked to the same facility Teachin' Mine found.

I searched youth hostel specifically and Motel 6 and Red Roof Inn were listed along with Gram's.  The Motel 6 site specifically states that you must be 18 yo.   No info for Red Roof Inn.  Gram's says all ages accepted, but that doesn't mean that they don't have a minimum of 18 yo if the minor is staying alone.  Unfortunately the USA is not like overseas when it comes to youth hostels.  

I would encourage your son to try emailing anyone who knows him at the university and might be willing to advocate for him.  As so many schools put more students in a room than originally intended, I would think they could manage this for him just temporarily.  He can mention that he's fine with using a small inflatable mattress and bringing minimal clothing so he won't need any additional furniture.   I would think that even an RA would be able to take him in for a very short time.  They are often given a double sized room as a single.  

I'd also just call a bunch of hotels, apartment rentals, room rental, hostels, B&Bs, etc and ask and then list all of the places you tried in an email to housing.  Admissions needs to know that they will lose a student if housing can't come up with something on campus.  Admissions likes to protect the percent of sophomores who return.  I guess I'd just keep going higher up until someone there finds a solution.   At the least they could override a rule limiting visiting a friend and staying in their dorm room until a bed opens.  

• Like 1

Does he know any of the professors fairly well? I would be asking anyone and everyone for help at this point. A professor may be tuned in to the various possibilities, and may even be willing to help find him a temporary room until he knows if he makes it into the dorms. Or they may know people who wouldn't typically rent to a college student for the semester, but who might do so for one semester for a younger student. 

I really think a trip is needed - there may be rooms for rent listed on the billboards that aren't online, and you can see exactly how far things are from campus, etc. 

I would also consider posting a "room wanted" ad, and even getting on social media (and asking his friends to do so). If something is out there, you want to be the first person to hear about it. 

• Like 1

Jenny, is he at the USF? If so, here is an apartment that might be close enough though I don't enough about the area to know if it would work.

http://www.apartmentguide.com/apartments/Florida/Tampa/Reflections-Apartments/18054/

It's around $475.00 a month...not sure if that is low enough or not. Around here with a 14 meals per week plan, room and board runs nearly $10,000 per year for just the two regular semesters which means less than 9 months!

No, he's at the University of Tampa, which is in a different part of town.

Last year, he had the unlimited meal plan and on-campus housing for under $10,000. The problem is that, even with relatively low rent, living off campus means potential transportation costs, utilities, etc., that are either unnecessary or rolled into the on-campus package.

Does he know any of the professors fairly well? I would be asking anyone and everyone for help at this point. A professor may be tuned in to the various possibilities, and may even be willing to help find him a temporary room until he knows if he makes it into the dorms. Or they may know people who wouldn't typically rent to a college student for the semester, but who might do so for one semester for a younger student. 

I really think a trip is needed - there may be rooms for rent listed on the billboards that aren't online, and you can see exactly how far things are from campus, etc. 

I would also consider posting a "room wanted" ad, and even getting on social media (and asking his friends to do so). If something is out there, you want to be the first person to hear about it. 

Contacting professors is also on the to-do list. And I'm hoping to free up a day next week to make the drive down there. I figure it couldn't hurt to visit the residence life and off-campus coordinator offices in person, and we can take the opportunity to see some neighborhoods and maybe apartment complexes, too.

I honestly don't know whether to laugh or cry.

After not hearing back from anyone following yesterday's phone calls by close of business, I sat down last night and wrote an e-mail to the off-campus housing coordinator re-explaining my son's challenges. I added the fact that, as a performing arts major, my son needs to be going to and leaving campus at all kinds of odd hours, including late at night. Given that the university, itself, cautions students against walking off campus at night alone, it sure sounds like a potentially very unsafe situation to put my still under-age son in.

When I still had not response from anyone by the time I needed to leave for work this afternoon, I sent a slightly re-worked version of the same e-mail to the director of housing, asking for any advice she could offer and also mentioning that both my son and myself had tried multiple times to contact the off-campus coordinator, without any response.

Magically, a couple of hours later -- while I was at work and not able to answer my phone -- I got a voicemail from the off-campus coordinator saying he was e-mailing me some information and that he was contacting the agent at a property the university has worked with for many years that he thought might work for my son. He said he would be in the office until about 5:30 and invited me to call back at my convenience. For one brief, shining moment I thought maybe we would get some meaningful help.

Of course, I didn't get off work until after 6:00 and had to stop at the grocery store, but I checked my e-mail the minute I got home and found . . . nothing. 

I called and left a message thanking him for getting back to me and saying I was looking forward to receiving his e-mail. Again, like magic, about 10 minutes later I got a lengthy e-mail from him, which appears to be essentially a form letter with a mixed bag of links to rental search engines, real estate agents and furniture rental companies, along with a list of the same apartment complexes recommended on the college's website.

I've spent the last 90 minutes sifting through the links and doing various searches. A good 60% of the sites recommended don't even listings in Tampa, period. There is literally not one property on the provided list that is within our price range. Most are two or three times what we could pay. In theory, if my son could share a place with a roommate or two, we might swing the rent at one of the cheaper places.  However, the closest property to the school that indicates they do any roommate matching is 12 miles from campus (estimated bus ride: almost two hours). 

My son had already left for his evening performance by the time I got home from work. So, I don't know whether he dug up any leads as a result of whatever e-mails or contacts he attempted today.

It's pretty clear to me, though, that the university housing department is unlikely to be any help.

I'm sorry. That's an awful response from the housing office.

I would go ahead and respond, letting them know that many of the properties were not even in Tampa.

I would be trying to find sites where rooms for rent are listed. Some colleges have an online list. I assume since that wadnt sent to you, this school does not. I'd still visit the school next week as you were trying to arrange. I'd look around at bull item boards for room for rent listings in between visiting various offices. I'd also check houses of worship close to campus. Sometimes congregations have listings like that for parishioners. I've even seen flyers on bull item boards at Starbucks.

• Like 1

I'd go after one thing from the housing department - getting your son at the top of their dorm room list.  Obviously they haven't offered him that yet. They can't make a bed appear on campus until someone opts out, and they can't make an off-campus, affordable, nearby option available, but they can move him to the top of their list so he's guaranteed a bed as soon as one opens up.  I would try to focus on that one thing for now.

In getting his placement in the waiting list moved, I'd use every avenue available to you.  Hopefully some of your son's contacts will be able to help him.  When asking them for help, he needs to clearly spell out what he's hoping for as a result - namely getting moved to the top of the list so he knows he'll eventually have a place on campus and wont' need to drop the semester, and contacts if they know anyone able to take him in for a short time until the dorm room opens up. I would think that those who were so impressed by his talents and what he brings to the theater/dance program would be willing to go to bat for him and let admissions know that they don't want to lose him.

Admissions is where I would let them know, preferably the head honcho, that he won't be able to attend this fall if he doesn't have on-campus housing.  They need to know that you're asking the housing department to move him to the top of the list, but you haven't gotten any confirmation of that and without that, it's pointless to try to arrange for very short term temporary housing as he's underage and can't find/afford/drive to live off-campus.  I'm saying you, but this could easily come from him and then a follow-up from you.  They need to know that the person paying his bill won't be enrolling him without the eventual on-campus housing.

If none of this gets him moved to the top of the on-campus housing waitlist, my next contact would be the president's office.  This will get you results I'm sure, but I would try the other avenues first.  This is a battle worth fighting IMO.

Hope you/he get some good news today!

• Like 4

I'm not sure admissions really cares at this point since he's a sophomore. But, you might talk to financial aid:

1. Living off campus increases your cost of attendance, so maybe you will be eligible for a student loan or something to help fill the cost gap.

2. If you have to step out for a semester due to lack of place to live, how will this affect

(a) your financial aid package when you return

(b) your place on the wait list for housing. Since he lost his housing for being temporarily below the required credit hours, it may be that stopping out will make it harder to get a place on campus, not easier.

Since phone and email are not working, can he go to campus and work the problem in person? I would try looking on bulletin boards in places students frequent for someone seeking a roommate or possibly driving neighborhoods looking for for-rent signs or bulletin boards in grocery stores. Is there a campus paper with classifieds? And, personal connections: He should call all his friends and professors and see if any of them have leads. It's becoming really last minute.

• Like 1

Janet you may be right and admissions doesn't care.  However the president of the university should care when 28% of freshmen do not return for their sophomore year.  I would think they'd like to see that number reduced.  Good point also about how it will affect his chances for on-campus housing for the spring semester should he not return for the fall semester.

Jenny you may want to consider posting on the UT forum on CC and see if anyone from the university monitors there.  It's not very active, but you never know.  In one of the threads it was mentioned that there is a trolley? from the university to Ybor City.  No idea of the time, distance, or hours of operation,  but it might open up some housing options.  

In theory, if my son could share a place with a roommate or two, we might swing the rent at one of the cheaper places.  However, the closest property to the school that indicates they do any roommate matching is 12 miles from campus (estimated bus ride: almost two hours). 

But isn't this always the case with off-campus student housing?  Isn't it meant to really be affordable only with two students/bedroom?  That was the case back-in-the-day at least; everyone had roommates, and probably 90% of students shared a bedroom.  As for roommate matching, that's not something I would expect for any off-campus housing.  Can he just look for his own roommates?  He can't be the only person wanting or needing to live off-campus next year.

Janet you may be right and admissions doesn't care.  However the president of the university should care when 28% of freshmen do not return for their sophomore year.

Maybe, maybe not (the president's compensation may depend on a lot of things...). But, assuming he does care, he can't build another dorm and add capacity in time for fall.

My advice to use personal connections to friends and professors, pound the pavement, and look to financial aid for assistance in paying for housing were aimed at solving the immediate problem. Looking ahead to see if housing wait-list space and scholarships can be maintained if he steps out will help OP see if there are any other consequences to be aware of.

Maybe, maybe not (the president's compensation may depend on a lot of things...). But, assuming he does care, he can't build another dorm and add capacity in time for fall.

My advice to use personal connections to friends and professors, pound the pavement, and look to financial aid for assistance in paying for housing were aimed at solving the immediate problem. Looking ahead to see if housing wait-list space and scholarships can be maintained if he steps out will help OP see if there are any other consequences to be aware of.

No he can't build another dorm within the next few weeks, but as I mentioned above, he can see that Jenny's son's name is moved to the top of the list for housing.  Reality is that finding housing off-campus is a more difficult situation for students under 18.  

Jenny did you call the hostel by any chance.  Curious if they would take him as that might get him by temporarily if he was moved to the top of the list.  Also curious if he's asked any of his friends if they would let him use their floor for a week or two.  Maybe he could move between them so he's not staying too long in any one room.  

• Like 1

That's what I've been encouraging him to do, to basically throw himself on the mercy of the residence life folks and plead his case. He feels awkward doing that, especially on the phone. (He'd be much more comfortable and persuasive in person.) It seems to me that, like cable companies who would rather hold onto an existing customer than go through the advertising and hassle to secure a new one, the college might be willing to push him up the list if they understand he likely cannot return unless they find a place for him on campus.

This is when a parent needs to get involved and push the subject.  Colleges are usually more responsive when a parent is actively involved. (Especially if part of the fault is theirs).

They might know of some local short-term solutions too.

You might want to call the Dean of Students about this one ...

Since part of this mess is the reorganization of his major...is there anyone else in his major in this same boat? Maybe that's the stone left to be turned.

Does he have any summer contact info for any of those particular classmates?  Emails, facebook...?

That might be the best/safest avenue for hunting down a last minute roommate...reaching out to former cast mates and classmates to make sure to contact everyone he knows, absolutely everyone including people who weren't necessarily close friends, to see whether they've already obtained housing and where, hoping that someone he knows only vaguely is off-campus or still looking.  If there's anything still set up electronically...such as a defunct facebook group for the cast of his last performance...maybe posting to the group will still reach some members, or private messaging the individuals.  Or maybe if the rehearsal schedule was sent out via email, as long as it was carbon copied to everyone and not blind carbon copied. Any sort of a class directory? People he did group projects with? Understudies that had to be notified if you were going to be absent, or student directors who maybe also needed to be notified?

• Like 2

But isn't this always the case with off-campus student housing?  Isn't it meant to really be affordable only with two students/bedroom?  That was the case back-in-the-day at least; everyone had roommates, and probably 90% of students shared a bedroom.  As for roommate matching, that's not something I would expect for any off-campus housing.  Can he just look for his own roommates?  He can't be the only person wanting or needing to live off-campus next year.

Roommates would be fine. The problem is that my son has not been able to find anyone who isn't already accounted for. All of his friends from last year have been placed on campus. (They all requested rooms on the same floor in the same dorm, which my son had planned to do, too, before the registration mess interfered.) Without some kind of agency involved or some kind of personal connection, I have no clue how to find potential roommates?

Remember that this is a small-medium-sized university, and my son is in one (well, two, but there's overlap) of the smaller departments. He's been in touch most of the summer with his regular group of buddies. He and I have exchanged e-mails with the coordinator for off-campus housing, and my son sent e-mails yesterday to every faculty member with whom he had any significant contact last year. Thus far, no one has leads to share with him.

If we had known at the beginning of the summer that he would be in this situation, he might have had a better chance to pull together a feasible plan. With classes starting in less than four weeks, everyone he knows already has housing accounted for.

Also curious if he's asked any of his friends if they would let him use their floor for a week or two.  Maybe he could move between them so he's not staying too long in any one room.  

The university's rules say that students may have guests in their rooms for no more than three nights at a stretch. My son feels confident that he could eek out a few weeks by moving from one friend's room to another. My concern is that he could do that and discover well after classes have begun that there is STILL no place for him. He would then be faced with having to withdraw after the semester has begun and he is emotionally invested and it would be too late to explore any more local alternatives.

The university's rules say that students may have guests in their rooms for no more than three nights at a stretch. My son feels confident that he could eek out a few weeks by moving from one friend's room to another. My concern is that he could do that and discover well after classes have begun that there is STILL no place for him. He would then be faced with having to withdraw after the semester has begun and he is emotionally invested and it would be too late to explore any more local alternatives.

The key would be to get him moved to the top of the list so he won't have to couch-surf for too long, if at all.  Four weeks is a long enough time for someone to drop out of housing.   But I agree that it would be risky if he stays low on the waitlist.

• Like 2

(Update copied and pasted from the first post.)

Update: I'm not celebrating yet, because I won't really believe it until we talk to the bursar's office tomorrow and amend the financial arrangements, but my son received an e-mail today saying that he has moved off the wait list and been assigned a space on campus.

Who knows what happened behind the scenes? What I can say is that we have been trying to work with the off-campus housing coordinator, without a lot of success. My son filled out the questionnaire we had been sent about what he was looking for in an apartment and how much we had to spend and sent it back, as directed, last Friday. The initial e-mail we had received said that the coordinator would "approve" the form and then forward it to some local real estate agents, who would assist us. We waited to hear back from him, but when there was no word as of Tuesday morning, I sent an e-mail to the head of Residence Life providing an update on the lack of progress. I apologized for bothering her again, but explained that, despite our best efforts to find an appropriate off-campus situation, it was looking like our son would have to withdraw if we couldn't resolve this soon. I asked, very politely, if it might be helpful for us to contact a few deans and heads of departments whose names and titles I found on the college website. I also mentioned that we planned to visit the campus one day next week and asked if there was a particular day or time that would be best to find faculty and staff in their offices.

I got an automated out-of-office reply immediately, but I had cc'd the off-campus coordinator. And, like magic, he called and left me a message an hour later while I was at work. He apparently also called my son directly, although the lazy bones was still asleep. He left both of us messages with a bit of additional information, but mostly a lot of excuses. I worked the next six hours straight and had no chance to call him back, and he called me again that afternoon. My son called him back and spoke to him and got signed up for a private Facebook group for students looking for roommates. Why that could not have been offered to him a week before, I still don't know, but at least it was one more avenue to explore.

My son spent much of yesterday and today glued to his computer and phone making and responding to posts on the group. As of this afternoon, he had a lead on one apartment that would have been a couple of hundred dollars more than we actually feel comfortable spending and would be about twice as far off campus as I had hoped and in a part of town we didn't really want him to live, but we were strongly considering proceeding, simply because nothing else had come even that close to seeming feasible. I drove my son to a dance class this evening, and we had decided we would do some more research and talk more once we got home.

While I was driving him home from class, he got a message on his phone from the off-campus housing coordinator asking him to check his student e-mail account. He did so when we walked in the door, and found a note from the Residence Life director telling him he'd been assigned on-campus housing and that he had until tomorrow at 4:00 to accept. I sat next to him on the couch to watch him type and send his acceptance, since all of us wanted to make sure it was real and there were no glitches with his response.

So, who knows if my mama-bear e-mails actually shook loose anything or if it was just coincidence that a space happened to open up just now. I honestly don't care. I'm just so relieved I could cry, and I'm looking forward to calling the bursar's office in the morning to amend our monthly payment plan to cover the dorm fees. Once they agree to take my money, I'll feel a lot more sure that this is a done deal.

I just might, though, actually sleep tonight.

• Like 25

Update: I'm not celebrating yet, because I won't really believe it until we talk to the bursar's office tomorrow and amend the financial arrangements, but my son received an e-mail today saying that he has moved off the wait list and been assigned a space on campus.

Keeping my fingers crossed for you!

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 3

Update: I'm not celebrating yet, because I won't really believe it until we talk to the bursar's office tomorrow and amend the financial arrangements, but my son received an e-mail today saying that he has moved off the wait list and been assigned a space on campus.

Who knows what happened behind the scenes? What I can say is that we have been trying to work with the off-campus housing coordinator, without a lot of success. My son filled out the questionnaire we had been sent about what he was looking for in an apartment and how much we had to spend and sent it back, as directed, last Friday. The initial e-mail we had received said that the coordinator would "approve" the form and then forward it to some local real estate agents, who would assist us. We waited to hear back from him, but when there was no word as of Tuesday morning, I sent an e-mail to the head of Residence Life providing an update on the lack of progress. I apologized for bothering her again, but explained that, despite our best efforts to find an appropriate off-campus situation, it was looking like our son would have to withdraw if we couldn't resolve this soon. I asked, very politely, if it might be helpful for us to contact a few deans and heads of departments whose names and titles I found on the college website. I also mentioned that we planned to visit the campus one day next week and asked if there was a particular day or time that would be best to find faculty and staff in their offices.

I got an automated out-of-office reply immediately, but I had cc'd the off-campus coordinator. And, like magic, he called and left me a message an hour later while I was at work. He apparently also called my son directly, although the lazy bones was still asleep. He left both of us messages with a bit of additional information, but mostly a lot of excuses. I worked the next six hours straight and had no chance to call him back, and he called me again that afternoon. My son called him back and spoke to him and got signed up for a private Facebook group for students looking for roommates. Why that could not have been offered to him a week before, I still don't know, but at least it was one more avenue to explore.

My son spent much of yesterday and today glued to his computer and phone making and responding to posts on the group. As of this afternoon, he had a lead on one apartment that would have been a couple of hundred dollars more than we actually feel comfortable spending and would be about twice as far off campus as I had hoped and in a part of town we didn't really want him to live, but we were strongly considering proceeding, simply because nothing else had come even that close to seeming feasible. I drove my son to a dance class this evening, and we had decided we would do some more research and talk more once we got home.

While I was driving him home from class, he got a message on his phone from the off-campus housing coordinator asking him to check his student e-mail account. He did so when we walked in the door, and found a note from the Residence Life director telling him he'd been assigned on-campus housing and that he had until tomorrow at 4:00 to accept. I sat next to him on the couch to watch him type and send his acceptance, since all of us wanted to make sure it was real and there were no glitches with his response.

So, who knows if my mama-bear e-mails actually shook loose anything or if it was just coincidence that a space happened to open up just now. I honestly don't care. I'm just so relieved I could cry, and I'm looking forward to calling the bursar's office in the morning to amend our monthly payment plan to cover the dorm fees. Once they agree to take my money, I'll feel a lot more sure that this is a done deal.

I just might, though, actually sleep tonight.

Glad to hear it. It's so hard to be in limbo.

Just guessing, but my kids fee payment deadlines are just now coming up. Some kids cannot/do not pay or decide last minute not to attend. That frees up rooms. Most on the waiting lists have signed contracts off campus. My dd20b's roommate just backed out, so she currently is listed as no roommate. She is checking frequently to see if someone else has been assigned. I will be very surprised if she has one this semester. (She isn't in one of the highly requested dorms.)

• Like 1

Glad to hear it. It's so hard to be in limbo.

Just guessing, but my kids fee payment deadlines are just now coming up. Some kids cannot/do not pay or decide last minute not to attend. That frees up rooms. Most on the waiting lists have signed contracts off campus. My dd20b's roommate just backed out, so she currently is listed as no roommate. She is checking frequently to see if someone else has been assigned. I will be very surprised if she has one this semester. (She isn't in one of the highly requested dorms.)

See, that's what I was holding out hope for a week ago, that we just needed to wait until someone inevitably dropped out or missed a payment, which is why it threw us for such a loop when they told us there simply wouldn't be room for him. It's why I insisted my son call and actually speak to someone and why I then called to follow up. I was truly assuming that they were going through the motions of recommending he look elsewhere, even though he likely still had a good chance of being placed on campus.

However, that sure isn't how it's been sounding for the last week. Basically, we were told that, although they recognized my son as someone who should get housing if any were available, they just plain didn't have room and didn't expect to have any.

The next fee payment deadline isn't until the day before classes start, almost two weeks from now. I'm sure a ton of things are in flux for a bunch of students for any number of reasons, but the timing certainly seems pretty coincidental.

I don't even care how it happened. I'm just (cautiously) relieved and thrilled for my son.

• Like 6

I would make him call also, to make sure they got the email! 

That's excellent. Starting off on campus will be so much easier. 

He called the bursar's office this morning and verified that the fees for the dorm room have hit his bill.

They have. 

So, yay! We owe more money! 

But (genuine yay), he has a room on campus.

At the moment, he's assigned to a triple, which isn't ideal, but he would have been content sleeping on the floor, if necessary. So, he'll take it. Plus, he may be able to improve the situation during open room change week.

I actually slept a reasonable number of hours last night for the first time in a week.

• Like 31

I was assigned to a triple once, and a quad for a semester.  The triple ended up being a giant room (slightly quirky shape, renovated building instead of constructed to be a dorm) with far more extra space than most, and both roommates were wonderful.  Some of the quad roommates were a bit harder to get along with, but it was also abnormally large, and two of them ended up unofficially moving out.  (They had friends/boyfriends off-campus, but didn't tell their parents, so the room was never officially vacated by them and thus never re-filled by others...but they mostly moved out for all practical purposes.)  So, it was like having just one roommate but twice the space.

It doesn't always work out that well, but you never know...Hoping for the best, and so relieved for you that he's got a room!