Menu

A Unique Homeschooling Situation... Advice Appreciated :)

I have what I believe is a unique homeschool situation. I have my 14-year old twin sisters who now live with me (a whole other story!). They are VERY far behind. They started school in a PS when they lived with our mother and their attendance was very scattered until they no longer attended. When they came to live with me in May of 2014, they could not even add. They could read, thank goodness and they always have their nose in a book which I always encourage as I do the same thing and we all know the importance of reading :) Over the last year, I have taught them how to add, subtract, multiply and divide, use fractions for baking and tell time. I believe we have come a LONG way! My concern now is that this is ''supposed" to be their first year of highschool and we are not even close to being ready for that.

I am still trying to work on spelling and putting sentences together. They still do not know nouns, verbs, adjectives etc. I started last year with Hake Grammar and it was slow going but I am sure they can do it. 

My plans for this year include :

Saxon Math 6/5

Hake Grammar 6 (I believe. Continuation from last year)

Around the World in 180 Days

Mapping the World with Art

Homeschool in the Woods - Explorers, Colonial Times, World War

CK-12 Life Science for Middle School

We also use virtual instructor art classes

Should I be worrying about high school or just about getting them caught up?

Would you add or take anything away from this years curriculum?

All advice is appreciated! Thanks!

I don't know how you would worry about high school until they are caught up, but my kids are nowhere near that, so maybe someone else will have a better answer.  It seems like you have to meet them where they are, though.  The only thing I don't see is music...nice job with the progress made!!

• Like 2

I have what I believe is a unique homeschool situation. I have my 14-year old twin sisters who now live with me (a whole other story!). They are VERY far behind. They started school in a PS when they lived with our mother and their attendance was very scattered until they no longer attended. When they came to live with me in May of 2014, they could not even add. They could read, thank goodness and they always have their nose in a book which I always encourage as I do the same thing and we all know the importance of reading :)

It might be a good idea to listen to each student read aloud to you each day. Or, you can all take turns reading aloud. I would never want to assume that reading is proficient, unless I had tested this and was already absolutely certain that solid phonics and decoding skills were in place.

Over the last year, I have taught them how to add, subtract, multiply and divide, use fractions for baking and tell time. I believe we have come a LONG way! My concern now is that this is ''supposed" to be their first year of high school and we are not even close to being ready for that.

Why not take another year to lay a good foundation of skills, and then reassess where they are academically? I wouldn't worry about some arbitrary timetable, to the detriment of their actual learning. The years will go by... what's the difference if they wrap up their studies with you at 18 or 19 or 20? If they are better prepared for adult life because you took the time to meet them where they are, then it will have been worth the effort and time spent. Ask them if they feel ready for high school level work. What do they say? Then discuss with them that if they take this year to work on foundational skills, that might mean pushing high school work another year further out. What do they think of that? They are 14, I'm sure they have opinions, LOL!

I am still trying to work on spelling and putting sentences together. They still do not know nouns, verbs, adjectives etc. I started last year with Hake Grammar and it was slow going but I am sure they can do it. 

Saxon Math 6/5

This all looks good and solid. I honestly wouldn't rush any of it, especially with math and English. IMO, it would be better to be consistent, so they learn what consistency looks like. It would be better to lay a good foundation of basic math and English skills -- what most people need for life -- than to fret about "not getting to Algebra" or "not getting to Literary Analysis." In fact, if those basic math and English skills are in place, along with some practical life skills, that might be a better path for them in the long run than frantically trying to "catch up" with higher math and English courses. Also, education doesn't have to be over at 18 or 19 or 20.

For a teen student, I would also want to teach Practical Life Skills -- money management, tithing, budgeting, banking, menu planning, shopping, cooking, baking, clothing care, basic sewing, organizing, home repairs, car care, local travel, gardening (if you do that), and any other skills that had value for our family.

https://www.clp.org/store/by_grade/16

HTH.

• Like 1

I have what I believe is a unique homeschool situation. I have my 14-year old twin sisters who now live with me (a whole other story!). They are VERY far behind. They started school in a PS when they lived with our mother and their attendance was very scattered until they no longer attended. When they came to live with me in May of 2014, they could not even add. They could read, thank goodness and they always have their nose in a book which I always encourage as I do the same thing and we all know the importance of reading :) Over the last year, I have taught them how to add, subtract, multiply and divide, use fractions for baking and tell time. I believe we have come a LONG way! My concern now is that this is ''supposed" to be their first year of highschool and we are not even close to being ready for that.

Saxon Math 6/5

What a good big sister you are!!! :thumbup:

There are some things about "high school" that you can think about, but your goal should be to teach them as much as they are able to learn, as quickly as they can learn it.

Which also means that Hake Grammar is intended to go through 8th grade, so you'd want to make sure you finished that this year.

Have they tested into Saxon 65? Always do the placement test. Always.

You have quite a lot of history/geography. I think you should pick one. Also, I have only seen Homeschool in the Woods on its site, never in person, so I could be completely off, but what I see on the Internet looks sort of young. If their reading level is up to par, seems to me you'd want to do a high school-level history.

• Like 2

For this year at least, I would focus mostly on their math and language skills, with minimal science/history/art.  Time spent firming up that foundation this year will pay off in years to come.  After you've verified that they DO have good reading skills, fill in the history and science with good reading materials.  I wouldn't bother with the time spent doing Homeschool in the Woods type things.  

• Like 10

Whatever you do or buy, first do placement tests. You don't want the work to be too easy and you certainly don't want it to be too hard.

For math and grammar and writing, you'll need to go easier.

But for history and science and literature and art and music and logic (if you do logic), jump in at a higher level. This is assuming there aren't any learning disabilities. You don't need a background to build upon in history, science, literature, art, music and logic as much as you do in math and language arts. At the high school level, they teach history and science as if the students have never seen it before.

Don't assign a grade to this year yet. Keep notes and keep a transcript in case you decide that this IS 9th grade after all.

School all year round with weeks off here and there. Maybe, 6 weeks on, 1 week off or whatever works for you.

Let them read whatever they want on their own time, but also add in harder required reading for literature and make it high school level books: Catcher in the Rye, Shakespeare--you know, all those books that are required reading for high school.

• Like 1

No personal experience, but a friend of mine who took in kids who had had a very lacking school life found that good habits were seriously lacking. Make sure you build in scaffolding (and time) for important habits. (Working on hard problems, getting up to do school, eating healthy food, etc.)

Emily

• Like 2

The Girls' Mom posted while I was writing. Hmmm...she has a good point.

If you're going to call this 8th grade, then focus mostly on skill subjects: math and language arts. Read books from the library about the other subjects, but don't worry too much about a full curriculum. Just read, read, read, and spend a lot of time on skills. Christian Light Education (CLE) is considered excellent for grammar and math if you want to check it out. Each school year is broken into 10 workbooks. You can fly through those 10 books or take your time as needed. It's a great program if you need to catch someone up. There is a LOT of review each day, so if your student doesn't need the review, skip it and move forward. But, if they need the review, then slow down.

If you will call their next year 9th grade, then do what I posted above: keep math and LA at a lower level, but jump into the other subjects at a higher level. And keep careful, careful records for the transcript.

• Like 1

Our DD came to us at 13 with multiple learning challenges (including ESL), so I can relate to having a student that is not anywhere near "grade level".  I don't know what state you are in or what the requirements are there, but for us (in TN and using an umbrella school), we repeated "grades" for her.  We enrolled her in the lowest grade we could and we "held her back" (I hate that term!) once to give her another year of laying foundations.  It was no problem.  We focused on English (obviously) and math and let her dabble in the other subjects as our other kiddos worked on them.  

Just want to add a disclaimer:  We had our DD tested through the school district after three years of homeschooling because I could see we were dealing with more than ESL issues.  She has multiple LDs along with some other learning challenges.  Because of her testing and services offered for her, she is enrolled in our local public school in their life skills program.  So I can't tell you if anything I did helped with high school credits.  

I think you are doing a wonderful job and are an awesome sister.

I would not worry about high school.  It does you no good.  Continue to work on catching them up.  They will be further ahead than they would have been had you not stepped in.  If you lay a good foundation, they really can go anywhere with it.

I think that Saxon is more teacher intensive.  Perhaps a program like CLE or MM might be easier for you to allow them to work at their own pace? Echoing the sentiment to do a placement test.  Even Teaching Textbooks might work, although you may need to use multiple levels.  

I'd also ask them what they are interested in.  Can you incorporate any of that into their day/schedule/plan?

• Like 2

The one thing I'd consider doing is choosing learning materials that are easy to accelerate.  You are going to want to move as quickly as they are able to through the work.  I've found that while Hake and Saxon are thorough, they are both *very* difficult to accelerate and still retain what makes them strong programs.

In addition to using programs that are inherently easy to accelerate, you can aid acceleration further by allowing them to complete work orally rather than writing everything down, though it is important to have some independent work as well.

As for history and science, I'd find excellent middle level texts and read them aloud.  I'd ask the comprehension questions orally or not at all.  Once their writing is more up to speed, you can have them write about what they are learning during writing time.  A great middle school history resource is the Human Odyssey series.  If you read straight through, you could get through the whole thing in a year.  CPO is a solid middle school science program.  You do *not* have to do the experiments for them to get something out of it.  Again, it would be fairly easy to get through both their earth and life science texts in one year.  The goal here is to develop a fund of background knowledge.

• Like 5

I'd worry most about math and English skills as well as life skills. Don't put ignore history and science, but I'd probably pick some solid middle level texts and read them - possibly aloud. I wouldn't worry about getting it all, as you can come back later and firm up history and science with higher level texts later.

Hi everyone, 

Thanks for all of your lovely responses! I have been quite stressed out lately with this year's planning and catching them up to close to where they "should" be.

I never thought about read alouds for school books. We do read aloud our fun, fiction books and they seem to enjoy that, so I think I will implement alot of read alouds this coming year to also gauge their comprehension. That was an excellent suggestion! I will also keep a reading log of what we read and have them keep a log of what they read by themselves. We are huge readers in our home. Very important to us.

I may drop history for this year as the program "Around the World in 180 Days" does have a bit of history in it as well. I would like to incorporate some of the classic literature readings based on the continent we are studying. They have expressed an interest in explorers and the wars, so I am thinking to incorporate those into the geography program as well based on the continent we are studying.

I appreciate the suggestions for other math programs but I think I am going to stick with Saxon. I did part of it with them last year and that is how they learned what I have taught them so far. It works for them and they are not too fond of change as their has been alot in their short lives and I am trying to introduce as much stability as possible at this time. I found a youtube channel that the girls love of another homeschool mom that records her Saxon lessons as she teaches her children.

I am not too worried about the practical life skills as we take care of that on a regular basis. I have taught them to weigh our wants with our needs, how to budget so that we can save for something we really want and for emergencies. The girls have alot of input into our meal planning and then they help me price match, grocery shop and cook the meals. They are in charge of cooking one meal a week and they are very happy to try out new recipes.

Their has been alot of adjustments in all of our lives recently and better habits in regards to healthy eating and exercise and less screen time have been implemented as well as a tension-free, quiet atmosphere.

Thank you so much again for all your responses! They have put me in a lot better frame of mind :)

• Like 15

Ditto the others to say you're doing great!  Absolutely 180 Days subs for history.  I was going to suggest that if they enjoy handicrafts or hobbies that you put on audiobooks, TC courses from audible or the library, or stream worthwhile shows (documentaries, NOVA, whatever).  That way they're making double use of their time.  

The other thing that I don't think got mentioned was to look into your state dual enrollment laws.  I'd definitely wait on high school one year, but maybe even 2, to give them a chance to get ready to take advantage of this.  DE is NOT only for fancy academics.  In our state you can use the funding to pursue a degree at a technical college or a 2 year degree.  So think about where this is going and what kind of opportunities they might like to open up for them their last year or 2 of high school.  

• Like 2

I agree that you should stick with Saxon as they will soon progress into the higher levels where some of the other programs (such as CLE) end.

Sounds like maybe you already have a Saxon 54 on hand in case you need to backtrack a bit. Saxon 65 is a great deal of review until the last part of the book, this should help the girls build confidence in their new skills - and personally, I think that if they believe they are good at math, they will more happily and diligently tackle it. Get the basics down well. There's still plenty of time for the higher maths.

Take a look at Khan Academy. We don't use it systematically as a curriculum, but do pull up certain lessons when my student just needs to hear a concept explained in someone else's voice.

What a blessing you are to these young women!

Maybe you could "call" the next two years, Jr High, and then start 9th grade subjects when they are 16. That way they have a solid foundation and you can make sure they get in all their credits and classes they need to graduate. 

My two favorites I used last year was Math u See and Essentials in Writing (includes grammar). They both have dvd instruction. You could use them starting 9th grade and it would cover their needed math and writing/grammar. Then you could teach them their history, science, life skill, music, what have you.

Just a thought. :)

Saxon Math 6/5

I would treat this year as 8th grade and make the following modifications:

Pick one of the 3 history/Geography programs and save the rest of your time for math and English.

I would try to work through at least 2 years of Hake Grammar.

I would choose a different math program because Saxon is not designed to be easy to accelerate. I'd consider MUS because it is great for acceleration, although it can get pricey buying multiple levels in a year.

I would consider adding a lit program like Lightning Literature 8, not because they aren't reading enough, but to introduce literature analysis.

I think you're doing great. They may still be behind next year when they start high school, but I would consider the level they will probably be working at by then to at least be remedial high school and I'd go for it. Just continue where they are and create an appropriate schedule. Hop over to the high school board in the spring and we'll help you create a 9th grade that will work for them.

I think it is terrific that you are taking on this challenge and giving your sisters this opportunity.

I agree with Garga - do not assign a grade to this year yet, and keep records.

If they were in public school, they'd more than likely be placed in 9th, given an IEP, and given high school level work with enough accommodations and modifications to support them for understanding. They may have a lower level math, but can comprehend literature at a high school level. The writing may be low, but skills can be taught, still given age-level materials. Low-level in an area doesn't mean it is low level across the board. That is a good reason to homeschool.

Dd has lds, and I held her back in a grade. When time for middle school, charter school faculty said she would not have been held back for those issues but given accommodations (she has slow processing which also affects reading and math fluency). Either middle school or high school was the given time to place her back in her age grade. So, she attended 7th in a charter, then skipped to 9th (her age grade) at a different charter. She did just fine. She received the accommodations needed for writing and math, and she was able to comprehend above grade-level literature.

If the girls are low-level across the board- and not just with specific skills but grade-level literature comprehension, etc.- then I would consider an official holding back a grade. They do not have to graduate with pre-calc (I'll be happy if my dd makes it through algebra 2). Writing skills can still be worked on while in high school. It is something all high school students are working on.

• Like 2

Why not take another year to lay a good foundation of skills, and then reassess where they are academically? I wouldn't worry about some arbitrary timetable, to the detriment of their actual learning. The years will go by... what's the difference if they wrap up their studies with you at 18 or 19 or 20?

It can make a big difference. A difference as big as actually graduating or dropping out altogether. Yes, even homeschoolers drop out. Kids give up when they see no end, or one very far off ,when their age-peers are moving on. It can make a difference in their level of self-esteem when told they will graduate 2 years after their peers. That is no better for preparing for adult life either. If they are on the young side of 14, whereas they would graduate at 17 without holding back, then I would say to hold back. They'd still graduate at 18. But, graduating at 19 or 20 may not have the desired results.

What have the girls said about their situation?

• Like 5

I may drop history for this year as the program "Around the World in 180 Days" does have a bit of history in it as well.

[snip]

as well as a tension-free, quiet atmosphere.

If you do have regular quiet times during the day, sometimes it is nice to listen to audiobooks. It's amazing how much history my girls have learned through listening to Your Story Hour CDs, Jim Weiss CDs, Story of the World CDs, and other audiobooks. This year we plan to listen to Mystery of History, as we read through Ancient History.

I find that, since I do a lot of teaching, when it comes time to read aloud for an hour or two, I am quite honestly out of a voice. My husband travels, which means I parent 24/7, and my voice just gets so tired! Audiobooks are a life-saver for us, LOL. We have a daily quiet time during our school year, and the girls just rest, read, do quiet crafts, sleep, or listen to music. Then at bedtime, they listen to an audiobook. It's a great way to learn so much, without adding to your load! HTH.

• Like 5

I want to echo PP who suggested focusing on math and ELA. Incorporate some science and history into your reading, but remember, they are content areas. Math and ELA are skill areas and the most important part of a good education foundation.

ETA: You are awesome for what you are doing.

It sounds like you got a lot of good advice. I just wanted to reassure you about the decision to drop the Homeschool in the Woods history. We did two units this year for "fun," but it quickly became a drag. There was much too much busy work, printing off papers, and hunting down craft supplies.  History should be fun and history projects are great, but you can incorporate that in other ways.

I don't know what your budget is like, but for my son IEW  made a huge difference.  He went from not being able to string even a couple coherent sentences together to being able to write a 5 Paragraph essay in just a couple months.

Since they read well I would do higher level reading intensive subjects that will count for High School.  So Literature and history would definitely be done at the H.S. level, also Science can be done conceptually without math for now and still count.  Something like Earth Science would be a H.S. credit. 

• Like 1

I am assuming that the girls are behind due to lack of educational opportunities rather than undiagnoised learning disabilities. If I am incorrect, then they need to have testing. Many, or at least some states, have social services for adults with disabilities that require long waiting lists.

If there are no suspected learning disabilities, then as they get older, you might consider programs that are designed specifically for remediation for adults.

• Like 1

I only have little kids, but wanted to mention a few resources just in case you hadn't seen them.  

Susan Wise Bauer's history books that are aimed at high school/adult learners are available at audible.com - Unfortunately she has not finished writing the modern history one, but the ancient, medieval, and renaissance are all available and it would be an easy, no sweat way to do history.  

Another option is the course called Big History- you can google it to find out more, but it combines history, science, social studies, etc.  It is aimed at high school students, but I think many junior high students do it as well.  

Grammar- you can consider KISS grammar- it is free, and you can start it at various age levels but still start from a foundation of zero.  

Writing- I'm obsessed with these books, so please bear with me.  They are cheap, straightforward, and good.  For creative writing (which will also help with lit analysis later on) The Most Wonderful Writing Lessons Ever.  Yes, it's aimed at much younger kids, but there is absolutely nothing condescending about the material, and it would be effective at any age.  And by the same author, Step-by-Step Strategies for Teaching Expository Writing (target 4-7 grades).  You could do each book in one semester and be ready to jump right into the standard "high school essay" from there.  

But not matter what you choose, keep in mind the number of students who coast, slip through the cracks, or fail their way through school.  They may be "behind," but in all likelihood, they are probably closer to middle-of-the-pack.  And if they are motivated, and you are motivated, they will do great!  I taught high school math, and they would not be the only girls who could not actually "do" any arithmetic in a class.

• Like 1

It can make a big difference. A difference as big as actually graduating or dropping out altogether. Yes, even homeschoolers drop out. Kids give up when they see no end, or one very far off ,when their age-peers are moving on. It can make a difference in their level of self-esteem when told they will graduate 2 years after their peers. That is no better for preparing for adult life either. If they are on the young side of 14, whereas they would graduate at 17 without holding back, then I would say to hold back. They'd still graduate at 18. But, graduating at 19 or 20 may not have the desired results.

What have the girls said about their situation?

OTOH it is very common among those who adopt around here to enter the adoptee in a year or two late if the child was adopted after one, even if they would start k--just to give them more time to get language up to par.

I think also that redshirted boys frequently graduate at 19 (start K 6, turn 7 during, so start senior year 18, graduate at 19).

I believe any graduate under 20 will have a lot of company.

• Like 2

I only have little kids, but wanted to mention a few resources just in case you hadn't seen them.  

Susan Wise Bauer's history books that are aimed at high school/adult learners are available at audible.com - Unfortunately she has not finished writing the modern history one, but the ancient, medieval, and renaissance are all available and it would be an easy, no sweat way to do history.  

Those books are really long and detailed, I definitely wouldn't consider them an easy way to do history. The hardcover for ancients is like 900 pages! 

OP, regarding math, maybe consider adding an easy-to-use, easy-to-accelerate supplement to Saxon.

I like Aleks online for this - you take an assessment, then learn and practice topic by topic until you hit 'mastery' for that level/course. Split them up and do one in the morning, one in the afternoon (spending less time on Aleks). 

Although I've only used it as a supplement, I do know people who use Aleks as their only math program, and they have kids in college doing just fine in calculus. So, I do think it can be a good way to solidify or accelerate math skills. 

• Like 1

I'm not sure which state you're in, but I know that in CA, it's not at all uncommon for students to arrive at CC not yet ready for college math or English (and therefore, not ready for college anything else, either). So if your state has a similar set-up, even if your sisters don't finish high school during the usual timeframe, that doesn't mean they're out of luck. I would absolutely just continue meeting them where they are instead of where they're ''supposed'' to be, and make those basic skills rock-solid. If they finish high school content on time, great. If not, no big deal.

• Like 2

Go-go-gadget, that is also very common here. Provided the student has completed high school, and is seeking a degree, they have three years of financial aid to get their associate degree, which for many students includes re-taking some of the harder science courses and taking pre-college math and English. Many students take this route--some of our best, in fact.