Menu

Can we talk about heavy periods?

Janie Grace

What is "too heavy"? When your iron is low? When you're housebound as a result? And what do/did you do about it?

Thanks to my menstrual cup, I know how much I bleed and it's a lot. Like, in one day it's 3X what the average amount is for an entire period. I have cramps that feel like heavy labor. At least once per period, I'm up at night because the pain makes sleep impossible (even with Advil, Midol, etc).

I have an appointment to address this tomorrow. I am afraid of what the options might be. I don't like the idea of hormonal birth control. I don't want surgery. I feel like maybe in your 40s you just have to suck it up and hemmorhage once a month. But maybe there really IS something wrong. And if there is, what is it and can the root cause be addressed?

Regular exercise does a lot. I'm sorry. Mine were horrendous as a kid (and yes, I mean kid because I started at 9), but they've gotten a lot better since the time I was about 21. On bad days an empty my cup about 5 times. My cramps aren't very bad though. I hope you get answers.

Mine are heavy and cramps were really bad.  Years ago a doc prescribed sodium naproxen.  It made a major improvement in how I felt.  A while later I figured out that it was Aleve.  I take it as soon as I start noticing the slightest twinge and keep it in my system religiously for 24-36 hours.  Sometimes I take 2 at a time but mostly I can get by with one.  

It's important to get checked.

I had postmenopausal bleeding, had a vaginal ultrasound, a consult with a gynecologist, and a biopsy and D&C (yesterday). Now I wait a week for results. The bottom line is that a couple of years before menopause, I started having periods like yours and didn't do anything. At the least, I have fibroids and polyps. Not sure what the next step will be, but I wouldn't be surprised to find that I need to have a hysterectomy. Did you know they can now do hysterectomies laproscopically (small incision, minimal recovery time)?

Your case is obviously different, but the point I'm trying to make in my somewhat still foggy state is that it's important to let your doc know. Hope you can get some relief soon!

800mg Motrin, round the clock.  Doses a bit closer together than the prescription calls for for the first two days.  That's what got me through peri. periods.  I think of them as the storm before the calm.  I have heard that there are people who are sad when their periods stop for good.  I find that inconceivable.

• Like 5

800mg Motrin, round the clock.  Doses a bit closer together than the prescription calls for for the first two days.  That's what got me through peri. periods.  I think of them as the storm before the calm.  I have heard that there are people who are sad when their periods stop for good.  I find that inconceivable.

The storm before the calm is a very accurate description for what I went through. Everything was fine except the last few years. I'd be having a light period, run to Walmart to pick up a few things, and had to spend 30 minutes in the bathroom because suddenly I was flooding. Like hemorrhaging.  The doc said it was totally normal and kind of acted annoyed that I asked about it.  But gee, no warning, and sudden flooding isn't very fun. 

Now that I'm on the other side, I dance with glee when I pass the feminine hygiene aisle at the store. I no longer have to make sure every car and purse is stocked with supplies. I no longer care if we're going biking all day without a bathroom nearby. It's glorious.   I haven't yet found a downside...not one. 

I had an ablation. It was done in the doctor's office. It did require a few drugs that made me feel loopy and I had to have someone drive me home, but it wasn't major surgery. But if I had to do it all again, I would have just gone for the hysterectomy. My period is so much lighter, but I'd say it's more like a normal period now. It's didn't go away like some women have happen. You have to be done having children, and my doctor required that either or my DH had permanent birth control.  One of my DH's employees recently had a hysterectomy, and I'm jealous... lol! My uterus is done. It's served it's purpose and now it just causes problems.

I'm having similar experience and am working with my gyn for a solution.  Due to scar tissue, a hysterectomy is going to be our option of last resort.  There are hot and cold ablations or an IUD would be the first options.  I will know more after some testing later this month.

I had heavy periods most of my life. In my late 30s they were worse, like glad I was a SAHM worse. At 48, they have lessened. 

Cramps, 800 mg ibuprofen is the only thing that helps, ever. 

Heavy flow? I used heavier tampons on those days. We're talking Ultra version for a few years. I also use Natural Water pills for a few days before. Don't have any scientific evidence that it helps, but I am less bloated and *I think* it does help flow. 

In my case my mom had heavy periods, so I just write it off as genetic and one of those "wonders" of being a woman. I'm so done and feel like the older version of "Are you there God, it's me Margaret." Except in this case, I'm ready for menopause. My mom was done by my age, which she reminds me of too often.  :glare:

• Like 1

In my case my mom had heavy periods, so I just write it off as genetic and one of those "wonders" of being a woman. I'm so done and feel like the older version of "Are you there God, it's me Margaret." Except in this case, I'm ready for menopause. My mom was done by my age, which she reminds me of too often.  :glare:

Now *that's* a book I would love to read!

• Like 2

Slow flow and cramp bark 

Available at most health food stores and amazon.

BEST.  STUFF.  EVERRRRRR

Seriously.  I have had FLOOD periods since age 13.  Always miserable and been to many doctors about it.  I'm healthy except for that...  uugh.  

But with slow flow and cramp bark I'm closer to "normal" people.  It's not gone, but lessened.  ALOT.

I did the capsule version of both.  I know cramp bark is availble in a tincture (hubby bought me that one on accident) but it tastes horrible, so I recommend the capsules.

Also did try one session of Vag steaming out of desperation, but can't really say it made any difference at all...  But that's a whole different subject.  LOL

Slow flow and cramp bark 

Available at most health food stores and amazon.

BEST.  STUFF.  EVERRRRRR

Seriously.  I have had FLOOD periods since age 13.  Always miserable and been to many doctors about it.  I'm healthy except for that...  uugh.  

But with slow flow and cramp bark I'm closer to "normal" people.  It's not gone, but lessened.  ALOT.

I did the capsule version of both.  I know cramp bark is availble in a tincture (hubby bought me that one on accident) but it tastes horrible, so I recommend the capsules.

Also did try one session of Vag steaming out of desperation, but can't really say it made any difference at all...  But that's a whole different subject.  LOL

What the what what?  LOL  Never heard of any of that. 

• Like 2

I've had people act shocked when they see me taking 4 motrins.  But, I was prescribed it before it was OTC and one pill was 800 mg and the script was take one or two every 4 hours as needed.  

I too am in my 40's,  One thing that has helped me a LOT is progesterone cream.  We'd like another baby so I just use it from Ovulation to bleeding.  Sometimes I am forgetful and I pay for it,  I went from needing 30-40 motrins per period to around 8.   Both cars have motrin in the glove box because you know how it is if you don't cut it off at the pass.  I'd hate to be in the car with me when I was feeling that pain.  

• Like 1

I always had heavy periods, but the ones due to a uterine fibroid made "heavy" seem like a very inadequate word. ;)

Housebound . . . yes.  Low iron . . . yes, as in low enough to make me short of breath/couldn't get out of bed (or off the couch).

One of the happiest days of my life was the day I had a hysterectomy.  I was SO glad to be done with that mess.  That was about ten years ago, and I've had no reason at all to regret that decision other than kicking myself for putting it off so long.

• Like 1

If your doc approves, try eight hundred mg motrin starting two to three days before your period, and provera if you can take it. I personally prefer bioidentical progesterone cream for hrt, but when I was hemorrhaging, the cream wasn't strong enough but provera did the trick. Dr. Had me keep doubling the dose up to a certain point until the bleeding started decreasing.

I'm 38. There is no chance I'm letting my period keep me home. The second it interferes with my life, I'm getting an ablation. No question.

• Like 2

I think it depends on what heavy looks like for you.  At 20 I thought having to use a super absorbent pad was awful.  At 40+ I'm using the largest incontinence pad I can find, lining it with a sanitary napkin.  I'm counting the minutes until all the gyn tests are done and this can end.

Ibuprofen does nothing for me, but naproxen helps quite a bit.  (ETA:  the thing about the naproxen/aleve is that you have to take it immediately with the start of your period, or better yet if your cycles are predictable, start it a day or so before.)

The Mirena IUD worked wonders for me in this regard, but I had to have it removed for other reasons (I had a side effect, but probably not one you need to worry about.  It's so rare it's not even listed.)

I really want an ablation, but my doctor says I'm not a good candidate for it.  It was a miracle for my mom, though.

I've taken tranexamic acid, and it worked like a miracle and had no side effects.  Love that stuff!  I can't take it anymore because I had to go back on BCP (for other reasons) and you can't do both.

I had a thermal ablation done when I was 30-ish(must have a tubal also). It didn't stop the periods but they were almost non-existent.  Both the ablation and tubal were out patient and while the "recovery" was easy it was a bit gross, PM me if you want details.  As long as you're done having children, it's a good option.  Not too invasive, tubal was lapriscopic, and I was 90% period free for about 6-8 years(I still had them but spotting only).  In the past few years I've had to start using tampons again 1-2 regulars per day maybe 2 days per period.  I think I'm starting menopause, my mom, her sister, my grandma all did early so I figure that's why periods have gotten heavier (along with some emotional stuff).

• Like 1

This is my life right now. I am 52 and over the past few years, periods got worse and worse. We live on campus, and I can walk to class in 15 minutes. I'd change before walking out the door, change before class, hope I got through it, change after before walking home. I chalked it up to being perimenopausal but am nowhere near menopause based on blood work.

Two weeks ago, period came as usual. The next day, it was flooding. I was soaking through an ultra tampon and an overnight pad about every ten minutes. Doc sent me to the ER. This continued all day and evening and so. she gave me an estrogen prescription to stop the bleeding, and I will be taking it until surgery. Ultrasound showed several 'significantly large' fibroids (her words), too big for laproscopic surgery. My uterus is measuring the same size as a 5 month pregnancy. I also chalked up the thickening middle to my age, though I am really active. That should have been a clue too. So, we are having a housecleaning surgery on Aug 5 :) My iron was also an issue, and I did have times of being breathless because it was getting so low, and was ordered to take my iron tablets twice a day. I am so ready to be done :)

The point is, get checked. It may be normal but it may be something more that can be fixed. Really, I should have had this looked into two years ago. 

• Like 5

My doc told me to start taking ibuprofen around the clock the day before I was due to start.  It did seem to help lighten the flow.  She also mentioned that there's a new Rx on the market called Lysteda that can help with heavy bleeding if things continued to be very heavy (they got better so I never tried it). 

I've always had really heavy periods and now at the end of my 30's they are sometimes light and loooooong, or short and like Niagra falls.  I use a heavy pad and I cup that I have to empty three or four times a day.  However, this is not a huge change for me so it doesn't seem so awful I guess.

I know I had a fibroid when dd10 was born but it was gone when dd7 came along.  I'm waiting to get a polyp removed now which might help a little.  I take Advil now for cramps though they were worse when I was younger, the secret as someone said is it needs to be taken before you get cramps.  I also have found exercise helps a lot.

I have periods that fill 9-11 diva cups for each of three days (and then continue lighter for a few days more) and I am listening intently to what everyone has to say. :)

This is not helpful, except to say, 'I'm with ya sister.'

No advice whatsoever, but eager to hear about solutions because I deal with similar issues. I'd consider an ablation or hysterectomy, but we aren't certain that we're done having kids yet.

I take Meclofenamate for the first three days or so of my period to help battle anemia (from the first inclining that I'm starting).  It has made a significant change for me.  It isn't for everyone and there are some risks associated (mostly for those who take it every day, but they should still be considered).  I can't take Lysteda.

You are opposed to the burning thing right? I've heard very good things. It puts an end to babies though.

Ablation does work for certain women, if you can get past the thought of it, and are done having babies.

My obgyn told me that it doesn't tend to work as well in younger women.

• Like 1

I wonder the same thing.

And what gets me is they tell you to call if XYZ happens.  So it happens and you call.  They have you come in.  They tell you nothing.  They do nothing.  They act like..why did you call. 

I'm tired of being a woman. 

So glad you said this.

I have not gone in this year. I was anemic and complaining of heavy periods, so they prescribed iron, which gives me cystic acne, so I stopped.

But I have heavy periods (like, everything they say is a heavy period, x2 or x3) that started this year, and I am very anemic.

I don't want to hear another doctor say, "You're getting older." I'm not even 40, but whatever.

I think I will wait until I pass out and then they will listen. They aren't going to listen to me unless something serious happens anyway.

My doc told me to start taking ibuprofen around the clock the day before I was due to start. 

Ibuprofen contains some new warnings. I used it (nighttime Advil) as a go-to for adjusting to sleep schedules during intercontinental travel for work but I'm re-thinking it. Just FYI.

Ablation does work for certain women, if you can get past the thought of it, and are done having babies.

My obgyn told me that it doesn't tend to work as well in younger women.

I wonder what the cut off for "younger" women is?  I'm hanging on to my mid thirties one more year so I'm not sure if I count in that or not.

So glad you said this.

I have not gone in this year. I was anemic and complaining of heavy periods, so they prescribed iron, which gives me cystic acne, so I stopped.

But I have heavy periods (like, everything they say is a heavy period, x2 or x3) that started this year, and I am very anemic.

I don't want to hear another doctor say, "You're getting older." I'm not even 40, but whatever.

I think I will wait until I pass out and then they will listen. They aren't going to listen to me unless something serious happens anyway.

Ibuprofen contains some new warnings. I used it (nighttime Advil) as a go-to for adjusting to sleep schedules during intercontinental travel for work but I'm re-thinking it. Just FYI.

If your doctor ignores your concerns, find a new doctor (not just you, everyone here)!!! I grew up in a tiny good-for-nothing town and even we had more than one doctor. Look until you find a good one!

• Like 2

OP here. Thanks everyone, for your responses. I just got back from the doctor. My first take-away is that she is VERY CONCERNED. I had been trying to just suck it up, thinking "this is just what happens to women as they age; no one ever died from a heavy period" but she is saying "NO. This is the kind of bleeding that gets worse and worse, can lead to an emergency hysterectomy, blood transfusion, and if things go very badly, can be fatal." She is not trying to scare me (and she is actually a very non-medical, non-intervention care giver) but she knows me well enough to know that I am NEVER going to deal with this unless someone takes me by the shoulders and shakes me. 

(To give you an idea, I am having to empty a Diva cup 8 times a day or so on the first day. The cramps are so bad I am writhing and can't do anything; I have had five natural births and they are comparable to heavy labor. My iron is super low.)

She thinks it may be adenomysis or endometriosis. Possibly fibroids. She wants me on lysteda (helps blood clot) from the first day of my period and a stop-gap measure until we figure out what to do. She is talking about an IUD or ablation. 

I am not sure what to think. My head is kind of spinning. But I am at least alert to the fact that I can't just go on like this. 

• Like 1

I have periods that fill 9-11 diva cups for each of three days (and then continue lighter for a few days more) and I am listening intently to what everyone has to say. :)

This is not helpful, except to say, 'I'm with ya sister.'

This is too much bleeding. Go to your doctor, please. 

:grouphug:

I know it's hormonal, but a Mirena IUD made a gigantic difference in my periods.  I'd consider that before surgery.  

My best friend suffered with horribly heavy periods most of her life until she was recently diagnosed with endometriosis.  Just knowing that she wasn't crazy.....she really did have it much worse...made a big difference for her.

:grouphug:

I know it's hormonal, but a Mirena IUD made a gigantic difference in my periods.  I'd consider that before surgery.  

My best friend suffered with horribly heavy periods most of her life until she was recently diagnosed with endometriosis.  Just knowing that she wasn't crazy.....she really did have it much worse...made a big difference for her.

I would do the IUD in a heartbeat if I didn't have breast issues. I had surgery recently to remove a lump which was benign but very odd/rare. There is another lump now that we are "watching." So I don't want to mess with hormones until I feel totally in the clear in that department.

Yes, I would love to just have an answer. I KNOW something is wrong. 

• Like 1

My friends had an ablation. Afterwards, her DH was describing the camera pictures of the inside of her uterus. His description made me never want to do that, even though there is no logical reason not to. When he talked about how it was all "burnt black" I almost puked.

I would do the IUD in a heartbeat if I didn't have breast issues. I had surgery recently to remove a lump which was benign but very odd/rare. There is another lump now that we are "watching." So I don't want to mess with hormones until I feel totally in the clear in that department.

Yes, I would love to just have an answer. I KNOW something is wrong. 

That's smart of you.  I had a biopsy early this year and I was surprised to read of the potential connection.  Some big Swedish study.  :(

Good for you for following your instincts.  So many people just wait and hope things are O.K.  Wishing you not only a diagnosis, but a solution.

I don't know what the guidelines are, but I'll tell you my story, I have really heavy periods that last for 8 days. My heaviest days I wear a tampon and pad and change it frequently. Mine made me anemic. I was recently diagnosed with polyps that I am having removed next month, that we are optimistic caused the bleeding, and will solve my problem.