Menu

Do you have a name for your homeschool?

I've noticed that some of us have this in our signatures, and I'm curious. I've also just gone to register for an online account for a textbook I've just purchased, and I'd like to register as a teacher, which means I'm required to provide the name of the school I work for. If I make something up now, I want to be happy with it for another 12 years or so.

If you have given your homeschool a name, why? And how did you choose what to call it? Some of them are very clever!

My oldest daughter's middle name is Pallas. We named our school The Learning Pallas. Sometimes on forms or paperwork they will ask the name of the school your child attends, or to get a teacher discount it is required to put in a name of the school.

• Like 1

DD10 picked Mount Parnassus and the hydra mascot several years ago. She recently announced that she's now graduated from Mount Parnassus Elementary and is going on to Mount Parnassus Middle School :). I use it anywhere we don't need an official name (we're in TN, so we're registered with a cover school legally). The only two comments I've ever gotten were a post-it note commenting "LOVE the school name" from whoever packaged her medal for her first National Mythology Exam and a quizzical call from a young man in the UK after DD attempted to register herself for the Royal Society of Chemistry's online challenge, because he couldn't find us in their database of UK schools :) (for the latter, they registered her under the same code the UK homeschoolers were registered under once I explained she was a homeschooled 5th grader from TN-such accommodating folks :) ). She loves getting stuff with the Mount Parnassus Academy name on it :).

• Like 3

We do have a name for it, something semi professional sounding. It ends in Academy. I use it for anything that needs a school name.

Our informal name for our school is the Bag End School for the Vertically Challenged and Perpetually Famished. I teach a bunch of small boys who think second breakfast, elevenses, and afternoon tea are right up there with math and history in required subjects, hence the title.

• Like 15

Our school has a name because in California home schoolers are technically very small private schools. And private schools, even very small ones, have names.

I picked Archer Academy because I wanted an official sounding name that was still true to my weird sense of humor. Archer Academy is named after the Star Trek character, Jonathan Archer, captain of the first Enterprise. My husband and kids agreed to the name because it doesn't scream homeschool or weird science fiction anything.

• Like 3

G.E.A.R -- Gils Elementary Academy for Ruffians -- is an exclusive all boys school here in my neighborhood. Its actually a pretty new school with competitive entrance exams and fortunately both boys managed to get a spot in the school back when it first opened.

Some reasons why I really like it is because they have a strong conceptual math curriculum, rich language arts curriculum with really flexible scheduling, the standards are set high, the workload for each grade is reasonable, the lessons aren't bloated with "edutainment" and really the class pacing is perfect for my sons learning speed. They also offer individualized instruction when needed and the enrichment program begins in K while unlike many schools in the area "extras" such as tutoring, sports, art and foreign language begin in 1st grade.

• Like 8

G.E.A.R -- Gils Elementary Academy for Ruffians -- is an exclusive all boys school here in my neighborhood. Its actually a pretty new school with competitive entrance exams and fortunately both boys managed to get a spot in the school back when it first opened.

LOL! We joke that our admissions requirements for the girls' section of our school are so stringent that only one has ever made the cut. Also, we say that we are definitely looking for a particular "hook" for enrollees in the boys' section -- only blonds with blue eyes need apply. Very convenient for the applicants that all four boys look alike, like little stairsteps!

• Like 4

LOL! We joke that our admissions requirements for the girls' section of our school are so stringent that only one has ever made the cut. Also, we say that we are definitely looking for a particular "hook" for enrollees in the boys' section -- only blonds with blue eyes need apply. Very convenient for the applicants that all four boys look alike, like little stairsteps!

Yep, the admissions requirements for G.E.A.R are insane! Even if a kid were to pass the admissions exam in math, literacy, language, problem solving and general aptitude, there is still the DNA test! If you don't pass that then there is virtually no way that you will ever get admitted.

:D!

• Like 9

We are Fort Awesome. Anyone who finds that too flippant can look at our test scores and shut up. So far it has not been a problem by any means. We have actually gotten quite a few smiles about it.

I will say our conservative, rural town school board is less than thrilled with it. However, the only audit that ever happened had the school board guy dazed with the test scores and paperwork. There are two certified teachers living in this house. We are wired tight!

• Like 8

Our school has a name because in California home schoolers are technically very small private schools. And private schools, even very small ones, have names.

I picked Archer Academy because I wanted an official sounding name that was still true to my weird sense of humor. Archer Academy is named after the Star Trek character, Jonathan Archer, captain of the first Enterprise. My husband and kids agreed to the name because it doesn't scream homeschool or weird science fiction anything.

^^^ This. We are also in CA and file as a private school. We are the Alexander P. Enki School of Free Learning. Alexander for the library of Alexandria, Enki for the Sumerian God of intelligence. P for Alex P. Keaton of Family Ties (yes, it started as a joke between dh and me but we added it in.) I think there's a Danbury School of Free Learning. I liked that phrase and decided to add it on.

We go by APES for short. :)

FWIW, dh would like to change the name when they are ready for high school to the Robert Twerwilliger School of the Arts. http://simpsons.wikia.com/wiki/Robert_Terwilliger

• Like 2

We call our's Westwood Academy. I grew up in western Washington, with property bordering a national forest. When I googled the name, it didn't seem to be taken yet, and I liked that it sounded professional.

It's funny how many things ask for a school name, even the Girl Scout application.

Ruth

• Like 1

I was thinking about this the other day. There is an actual school district nearby called Sweet Home ISD. If we lived there, I'd call my school something like Saccharine Scholars Academy. Go Sugarcubes!

I talked to my kids a month or so ago and they suggested Best School. Which to me sounds super-boring. But w/e.

• Like 5

We are the Olive Street School named after our street name. Nothing too inventive, but it has Biblical meaning for our family besides just being the street we live on. Our mascot is the Fighting Squirrels and our school colors are green and black.

• Like 3

We have a name, but never decided on a mascot or colors, because the one time I asked, DD wanted the colors to be pink and purple  :ack2:  and she couldn't decide between a pegasus, fairy, or unicorn for the mascot. (Also  :ack2: .) I'm thinking when she gets closer to high school we'll figure it out. At this point, it would probably be pink and green  :wacko: and either wolves or horses. None of those color schemes work with our Latin-based school name.

• Like 2

The kids and DH voted on Gallifrey Classical Day School and I have not been able to come up with something better to convince them to change it yet. Our colors are Tardis Blue and silver of course. When I found DH trying to incorporate the Seal of Rassilon into a logo for letterhead and t-shirts, I said that was one step too far. The only comments I have had was from the guy at Kinko's/FedEx who was binding my homemade planner. He was quite amused and said we should keep it. 

• Like 3

We have a name, but never decided on a mascot or colors, because the one time I asked, DD wanted the colors to be pink and purple  :ack2:  and she couldn't decide between a pegasus, fairy, or unicorn for the mascot. (Also  :ack2: .) I'm thinking when she gets closer to high school we'll figure it out. At this point, it would probably be pink and green  :wacko: and either wolves or horses. None of those color schemes work with our Latin-based school name.

I'm pretty sure C would make our school colors pink and gold if I were to ask him. Those are the colors he picked last summer when he did cheerleading for one session at the Y, and those are still the colors he names when you ask him for his favorite color.

The thought of having school colors hadn't occurred to me before this thread. We'll see. Maybe that should be homeschooling project number 1 this summer, when C will be done with public school and officially be homeschooled. Come up with a proper name, logo, colors, and mascot. Wondering if both kids would have to agree or if I could just put them in different schools under my roof. Not sure B is going to go for pink and gold as the school colors, though he might.

• Like 1

Lextin Academy

My name plus my hubby's name equals Lextin. (Lexi and Justin combined)

It sounds official but it has meaning for us.

We have no mascot or colors. As the kids get older they might come up with something.

• Like 2

I've noticed that some of us have this in our signatures, and I'm curious. I've also just gone to register for an online account for a textbook I've just purchased, and I'd like to register as a teacher, which means I'm required to provide the name of the school I work for. If I make something up now, I want to be happy with it for another 12 years or so.

If you have given your homeschool a name, why? And how did you choose what to call it? Some of them are very clever!

In California, children are exempt from public school attendance if they are enrolled in a private school which has filed an affidavit, so yes, we needed a name for the affidavit. :-)

The first few years, we were Freedom Learning Center. I was immersed in John Holt and unschooling, see, and I didn't believe (and still don't) that children needed to go some place called a "school" where people called "teachers" would impart the knowledge of the world to them. Our last year in San Diego, however, my dc confessed that they couldn't tell people that they "went" to Freedom Learning Center, lol, so that year we named it Southeast San Diego Christian Academy. :D

Then we moved to San Jose; the first year, I filed as Blossom Valley Christian Academy (we lived in a neighborhood called Blossom Valley). The next year, I started a PSP (private school satellite program, California's version of an umbrella or cover school) and named it Plantation Christian School, from Psalm 1:1-3. I envisioned each family as a little plantation, growing children who would become like trees planted by streams of water. :-)

• Like 2

Ours is an "academy" that is named after our geographical location. I found a school in California that is apparently named something similar, so we might stick with it all the way through. Not sure yet.

My kids couldn't decide on a mascot other than Puss in Boots. (They came up with some sort of motto about their cuteness, but it didn't stick.) Unfortunately, since he's Trademarked, we can't have t-shirts made with his big eyes staring at everyone from their shirts. 

We had friends who went to Hogwarts for awhile. Their school went through a relocation & is now named something different.

• Like 1

Oh, colors. Hmmmm. I think I will say navy blue and powder blue. DH and I have an August anniversary (aka "our family's birthday"), and our wedding colors were navy and powder blue. So I'll say that.

A mascot. We need a mascot. Well, the big kids would probably say that the toddlerboy is the mascot, but we should think of something that will last longer. They'd probably vote for the elephant, but I don't know that I would really want that.

• Like 1

These are really cool! Thanks to all who've shared. :)

And Puss in Boots is trademarked?? Full on.

We might go with something Hobbitty. I'll look up some maps of the Shire and discuss some names with DS.

Not officially, really.  I only ever thought about it for the first time when I moved here and needed to fill out an "intent to homeschool" form and it asked for a name.  So I just wrote down (my last name) Academy.  The only other time I think about it is when I put pics up on Instagram that has the kids doing a school project or otherwise showing home school photos.   I'll tag the location as that name.  :laugh: