Menu

Which condo would you choose?

OnTheBrink

I'm at the place where I'm looking at condos! There are two I'm very interested in. Two bedroom, two full bath, garage, fenced in patio, located close to things we do in town. Both have the same exact floor plans. Price is only $1,000 different between them. Here are the differences:

Condo A: 

Neon raspberry carpet--all over the whole unit.

Mirrored closet doors and mirrored doors on the laundry closet. 

Updated kitchen.

On the perimeter of the condo complex, but closer to a rental apartment complex (fence in between). 

Kitchen has a pass-through to the dining area.

Has large coat closet.

Has a chimney on the exterior, but no fireplace on the inside--not sure if they never finished the fireplace or if they took it out. (My coworker suggested it hides the body of the dead husband who tried to protest the neon-raspberry carpet, but that's only speculation. LOL)

Condo B:

Tan commercial-like carpet all over the whole unit.

Kitchen needs updated appliances and counter-tops.

Located more centrally in the complex on a corner of two drives.

Kitchen has no pass-through and is closed off from the dining area.

Has a lovely brick fireplace (which I'm certain is free of dead bodies).

Smaller coat closet but also has a linen closet.

No mirrors!

I know most of the differences can be changed (carpet, etc) but I'm trying to figure out which changes to invest in. I sort of feel like this is six of one and half a dozen of another. 

Any thoughts? 

• Like 1

I would go with A and put in new carpet before you move in.

Corner of two drives may mean a lot of traffic, carpet is cheaper to upgrade than a kitchen, and if you have decent heat you probably wouldn't use a fireplace that much anyway.  I love the pass through in our place.  I would hate for the kitchen to be completely closed off.

• Like 6

It would boil down to which is the better location.  I would not want to be next to a rental apartment complex unless it is a really nice one and then maybe not.

If the locations were equal I would go with the bad carpet because that is a less expensive update than a kitchen and appliances.

• Like 3

I'd pick B. I could live with tan carpet until I replaced it with hardwood, which can be done a room at a time. 

A cost closet and a linen closet appeal to me more than just a large coat closet. 

A pass through could be added later. 

A fireplace isn't something I care about but lots of people like them.  It's hard to add one!

I'd prefer to not be located on the edge of the complex. 

Updated appliances and countertops can be added one at a time, as finances permit. 

No mirrors would please me but if you like mirrors you can add them. 

Both are end units. I should drive through there in the evening and see if it's noisy. That's my one worry about being closer to the apartment complex. The realtor told me there is a cinderblock fire wall between each unit and that (I think) would muffle noise. I'm sort of leaning to the pink carpet one (despite the body stuffed in the chimney!), because of the kitchen. I have friends who can install new floors for me, so the flooring isn't a huge issue, but if I went for the one with the fireplace, I would have to pay for new appliances, which would cost more than the flooring. 

I do like a fireplace, but I bet if I had an electric one, I'd be satisfied. I just like the look of a fire in the winter. I am always hot, so I don't need it for extra heat. 

The view is a good point. The pink carpet house looks out from the kitchen window towards the apartment complex, but it's not RIGHT up against the fence; there is some landscaping and some trees. There's probably a good 100 feet between the unit and the fence that divides from the apartments. The fireplace house just looks out to the rest of the condo area with the landscaping, etc. 

Are condos selling quickly in that complex? Is there a chance that one seller is more negotiable than the other, so your final price would be much lower for one unit than for the other one?

I would choose the updated kitchen unit over the other one, but the rental apartments on the other side of the fence would probably be a dealbreaker for me. The dead body would be a good negotiating point, though... ;)

If you have to choose between those two units, I would make an offer on the unit in the best location and let the seller know I was subtracting the costs of the updates you would need to do. If the beige carpet is in good shape, I wouldn't mention that, but if you need to update the kitchen and bathrooms, those are big expenses and the seller knows it.

How much are fully updated units in the complex selling for? Often, the price isn't nearly as high as the amount you would spend on a fixer-upper once you have paid to have it fully updated. Sellers very rarely recoup their entire renovation costs on a condo, so you might be better off going slightly over budget now on a condo that needs no work at all. The difference in your monthly mortgage would be minimal.

• Like 1

Are they both on the same floor? If not, I'd really lean toward top floor vs. bottom floor.  And western/southern exposure over northern/eastern exposure (I like my sunlight).  Sunny yard/deck would be a big plus.  Fewer common walls with the neighbors would be another plus. 

Anything cosmetic can be updated.

Have you hung out in both units in the early evening, when all the neighbors are likely to be home, to check the sound level?  One condo I lived in was nice and quiet... and then I found out that the unit upstairs wasn't occupied... sweet!  And then Jumbo ('cause the dude walked like an elephant) moved in.  Stomp stomp stomp... 

Where's the sun? Is one patio better for container gardening? Does one bedroom get the sunrise in it? That might matter to some. Is the fireplace wood or gas? If it's push-button, you'll likely use it a lot.

A PP mentioned hardwoods, but some condos don't allow them and insist upon carpet to muffle noise.

Both are end units. I should drive through there in the evening and see if it's noisy. That's my one worry about being closer to the apartment complex. The realtor told me there is a cinderblock fire wall between each unit and that (I think) would muffle noise. I'm sort of leaning to the pink carpet one (despite the body stuffed in the chimney!), because of the kitchen. I have friends who can install new floors for me, so the flooring isn't a huge issue, but if I went for the one with the fireplace, I would have to pay for new appliances, which would cost more than the flooring.

I do like a fireplace, but I bet if I had an electric one, I'd be satisfied. I just like the look of a fire in the winter. I am always hot, so I don't need it for extra heat.

The view is a good point. The pink carpet house looks out from the kitchen window towards the apartment complex, but it's not RIGHT up against the fence; there is some landscaping and some trees. There's probably a good 100 feet between the unit and the fence that divides from the apartments. The fireplace house just looks out to the rest of the condo area with the landscaping, etc.

Are you sure the appliances would cost more than the flooring? Have you priced them at Lowe's, Home Depot, or Best Buy? They often have bundle deals if you buy a few appliances of the same brand, and they also have sales and clearance deals quite often. You might be surprised and find out that it will cost a lot more for flooring.

If I significantly preferred one location over the other, I'd go with that one.

If not, I'd talk to local suppliers and contractors and price out the work I'd want to do on each unit. I'd go with the one that came in less expensive and/or less annoying.

Are they equally old? We prefer to avoid lead paint so we rule out any older than 1978 when we looked.

My condo is soundproof if we don't open the patio doors or bedroom windows. Else we can hear the neighbors. We can also hear Amtrak in the evenings.

ETA:

Confirm HOA fees. It range from $250/month to almost $500/month when we were looking.

Is A a better location? Replacing carpeting and mirrored doors is cheaper than updating a kitchen.

How old are the units? Can you get the condo associations financial history-- how often do they do big projects like replace a roof or road/parking lot and how do they pay -- do they do special assessments (which can be huge hits on individual owners) or do they make regular payments to a capital account from association dues to have the savings for such projects. Owning in a condo where the association is not managing finances would be a nightmare. This is something to consider along with the monthly fees. The monthly fees could be cheap, but if the association ends up needing special assessments for longterm maintenance projects it would be hard.

In what direction face the windows? I have friends who hate sunlight streaming in their windows, but for me, streaming sunight is a must. I'm very serious. I wouldn't buy a house if it didn't get streaming sunlight.

If the windows face to the north, you will have a dark condo. If they face to the south, you will have light. Wait...that's if you're in the northern hemisphere. Flip flop it if you're in the southern hemisphere.

Fireplace wouldn't be that important to me (we have a non-functional one where we live).

I would try to figure out what would be more expensive to do... the kitchen remodel or the carpets. That in conjunction with the list price (what's cheaper after all the work is done) would probably determine my answer. Although, the whole thing about where the unit is in proximity to neighbors and noise level would also be something to consider.

I would guess that a kitchen remodel would cost more than replacing carpet but I don't know.

I priced appliances and to replace the fridge, stove and dishwasher would be about $3,000. I have not priced the flooring, but I have friends who've already volunteered to install it themselves, so the flooring price would be for materials only. And, I've seen their work and they know what they're doing, so I'm not concerned about the flooring being installed incorrectly. 

We have a clip of a fireplace we run on loop on the tv :laugh:

I do, too! My horrid children ridicule me over this every winter. 

Are condos selling quickly in that complex? Is there a chance that one seller is more negotiable than the other, so your final price would be much lower for one unit than for the other one?

I would choose the updated kitchen unit over the other one, but the rental apartments on the other side of the fence would probably be a dealbreaker for me. The dead body would be a good negotiating point, though... ;)

If you have to choose between those two units, I would make an offer on the unit in the best location and let the seller know I was subtracting the costs of the updates you would need to do. If the beige carpet is in good shape, I wouldn't mention that, but if you need to update the kitchen and bathrooms, those are big expenses and the seller knows it.

How much are fully updated units in the complex selling for? Often, the price isn't nearly as high as the amount you would spend on a fixer-upper once you have paid to have it fully updated. Sellers very rarely recoup their entire renovation costs on a condo, so you might be better off going slightly over budget now on a condo that needs no work at all. The difference in your monthly mortgage would be minimal.

The Pink house has been on the market since winter (probably due to the dead body) and it's the one with the updated kitchen. I'm willing to bet they'd go down a bit on the price. The Fireplace house was listed just last week, and I know the listing agent for that unit personally and I'm fairly sure there's not as much wiggle room with that, not right now, at least. 

Units seems to be consistently priced. Depending on square footage and number of bedrooms, they've been between $68K and $85K--the ones with fancy kitchens being at the higher end of the scale. 

Are they both on the same floor? If not, I'd really lean toward top floor vs. bottom floor.  And western/southern exposure over northern/eastern exposure (I like my sunlight).  Sunny yard/deck would be a big plus.  Fewer common walls with the neighbors would be another plus. 

Anything cosmetic can be updated.

Have you hung out in both units in the early evening, when all the neighbors are likely to be home, to check the sound level?  One condo I lived in was nice and quiet... and then I found out that the unit upstairs wasn't occupied... sweet!  And then Jumbo ('cause the dude walked like an elephant) moved in.  Stomp stomp stomp... 

They're both ground-level. These are a town-house style, so every unit is on the ground. Some are two-story units but these are end units and are all on one level. They both have privacy-fenced patios and both face west. The front door faces north, kitchen window faces west, master bedroom window is north and the second bedroom window faces south. The first time I saw both of them was between 5 and 6 pm after work. Both units were very quiet. In fact, I drove through there last night at about 10 pm to see who hangs out outside blaring music (like my current neighbors across the alley!) and it was as quiet as a tomb. 

Sound is a factor, but my concern is my daughter's piano playing bothering someone else. We did look at a unit that was next door to another end unit to see where the common walls are. In both of the ones I'm considering, the master bedroom shares a wall with the staircase and a closet on the other side and the 2nd bedroom shares a wall with the dining room on the other side. 

Where's the sun? Is one patio better for container gardening? Does one bedroom get the sunrise in it? That might matter to some. Is the fireplace wood or gas? If it's push-button, you'll likely use it a lot.

A PP mentioned hardwoods, but some condos don't allow them and insist upon carpet to muffle noise.

The sun is in the sky. (sorry, couldn't resist!). The kitchen and patios would get western sun. Both units are on the west end of the building, so no eastern sun at all. Fireplace is wood. Since both units are on the ground, flooring isn't an issue. We looked at a different floor plan and it had hardwood/laminate/something on the main level and the bedrooms up stairs had carpet.

Are you sure the appliances would cost more than the flooring? Have you priced them at Lowe's, Home Depot, or Best Buy? They often have bundle deals if you buy a few appliances of the same brand, and they also have sales and clearance deals quite often. You might be surprised and find out that it will cost a lot more for flooring.

I'm not sure. I priced appliances but not flooring. Going on what I paid for the laminate in my current living room (which is roughly the same size as the condo's living/dining area), I'm thinking flooring may be less. 

Are they equally old? We prefer to avoid lead paint so we rule out any older than 1978 when we looked.

My condo is soundproof if we don't open the patio doors or bedroom windows. Else we can hear the neighbors. We can also hear Amtrak in the evenings.

ETA:

Confirm HOA fees. It range from $250/month to almost $500/month when we were looking.

Yes, they were both built in the early 80's. HOA fees on both units are $200/mo and that covers exterior maintenance, roof, snow removal, landscaping, trash, pest control, sewer and water. 

Is A a better location? Replacing carpeting and mirrored doors is cheaper than updating a kitchen.

How old are the units? Can you get the condo associations financial history-- how often do they do big projects like replace a roof or road/parking lot and how do they pay -- do they do special assessments (which can be huge hits on individual owners) or do they make regular payments to a capital account from association dues to have the savings for such projects. Owning in a condo where the association is not managing finances would be a nightmare. This is something to consider along with the monthly fees. The monthly fees could be cheap, but if the association ends up needing special assessments for longterm maintenance projects it would be hard.

These are good questions. I know the roof on the Fireplace unit is just a year old. The asphalt in the parking areas and driveways looks like it's relatively new. Not cracks or potholes that I could see (and I've driven through enough times that I'm afraid they'll think I'm scoping the place out for a heist or something). I'll ask about the other things. The realtor  suggested I meet with the HOA people and go over all the covenants and restrictions before submitting an offer, just to make sure there are no surprises. 

I did find out that FHA won't give loans on condos that have financial issues with the HOA. I called my bank to find out about that and they assured me this complex is FHA approved and there are no issues with getting a mortgage for one of those units. 

Which condo has been on the market longer? It could mean you would be able to negotiate a better price. 

The Pink one. The Fireplace one was just listed last week. 

You guys have given me a lot of good stuff to ask and think over. I knew you all would! Thanks!

• Like 1

This is huge.  The place where I lived had a retired accountant on the board.  She planned out every possible maintenance/replacement project and budgeted for those, and the board set the monthly dues accordingly.  We didn't have to worry about how to fund the new roof, hallway carpeting, etc. because all the money was in savings and ready to use at the appropriate time. 

• Like 1

My hubby practice the piano everyday in the living room which shares the wall with my neighbor's living room and my boy practice his flute in the bedroom which shares the wall with neighbor's dining room. My side of the condo can hear other people practicing violin, clarinet, flute and piano. Used to have someone with a brass instrument too. No one has issues with listening to the same music pieces all week.

My HOA rules is no noise from 11pm to 7am which is okay since no one practice that late. We hear the most instruments practice from our neighbors before dinner time. We have some neighbors in the youth symphony.

I'd choose A for updated kitchen (REALLY pricy to redo) and bigger coat closet and no fireplace. (but a fireplace is a deterrent to me.)  If I couldn't afford to redo the carpet, I'd live with it. But otherwise I'd do it before moving in because it is harder afterward.

The linen closet would be nice. But updated kitchen trumps it.

I also prefer pass throughs to the dining area to make the kitchen more "Part" of things

For me, Condo B. All of my adult life I have yearned for a kitchen that could be closed off, thus hiding the wreckage of preparing a meal for guests.

Raspberry carpet frightens me! The tan would be going out, for that matter, but would not trigger nightmares during the interim.

That is one jugular-grab of a monthly HOA fee. (I am committed never to live anywhere that has a HOA.)