Menu

I'm beyond stressed about my options...

Hunter's Moon

I've posted numerous times before asking for advice. You ladies are always fantastic, helping me to think through my options.

I graduated from CC in December with my Associate's degree in General Studies. Since then, my husband and I have moved to a new town that is too far to attend an on-campus school. I would LOVE to have that option, as I really do love the discussions and hands-on experiences, but it isn't an option now and may not be for a few years.

There is no public transport, we don't have a car, and there isn't even a taxi service here. That wouldn't matter though, because the closest school is still about a 45 minute drive.

I have so many subjects that I enjoy - history, environmental science, anthropology. But I'm never happy with any choice I make. As of now, I'm enrolled with a State U's online program for History and will begin in the Fall, but I worry what good that degree will be.

I would love to major in Environmental Science, but science online seems iffy. That, and I wouldn't have th chance to intern or perform research. Who would hire me with a degree in name only?

I'm so stressed over this entire process. Sure, I could take a few semesters (or years) off, but I'd really rather not.

It seems my options are:

• State U online program in History

• For-profit online program in Environmental Science

• Another school in another subject altogether

• Wait

Any words of wisdom? I'm sick of waffling back and forth on my options every few days.

If you strongly want to attend an on-campus school, what about going to school residentially some place else? Would that be financially feasible?

Why did you move, for your husband's job? How supportive is he of your education?

We moved due to financial issues -- we rent from my sister and her husband, so rent is significantly cheaper. 

I assumed only grad programs allowed for married couples to house together? 

What are your primary goals for a college degree?  Are you primarily wanting to learn and be stimulated intellectually?  Are you primarily wanting a higher paying job down the line?  Obviously you can have more than one goal, but if one of your primary goals is for employment purposes then you will be making different choices than if that is not an issue.  It doesn't mean that you couldn't pursue something that is less practical but you would need to make decisions as a couple that would support that that goal.  For example, if you wanted to teach history some day, you might consider moving to a college town where it's easier to find a job doing that.  If your education is to make you a more rounded person, allow you to eventually teach your own kids etc. then the degree itself is not as important and you might find The Teaching Company, Coursera and other venues of that sort will help you while you are in a less accessible location.  

• Like 3

We moved due to financial issues -- we rent from my sister and her husband, so rent is significantly cheaper. 

I don't know - but I would assume any university housing to be much more expensive than just renting off campus.

So, if you have not moved for your DH's job, then could you move to a location that would fit your goals better? Is his job portable?

And, as Jean pointed out, the main question is what you want of your college education. If you have no clear goal what you want to do, I'd work for a few years and figure out WHY you want to go to school

What are your primary goals for a college degree?  Are you primarily wanting to learn and be stimulated intellectually?  Are you primarily wanting a higher paying job down the line?  Obviously you can have more than one goal, but if one of your primary goals is for employment purposes then you will be making different choices than if that is not an issue.  It doesn't mean that you couldn't pursue something that is less practical but you would need to make decisions as a couple that would support that that goal.  For example, if you wanted to teach history some day, you might consider moving to a college town where it's easier to find a job doing that.  If your education is to make you a more rounded person, allow you to eventually teach your own kids etc. then the degree itself is not as important and you might find The Teaching Company, Coursera and other venues of that sort will help you while you are in a less accessible location.  

I would say both of the above reasons (job options and intellectual stimulation) are true, though job options much more so. 

I've strongly considered graduate studies in History following my Bachelor's, though I don't want to be a professor or teacher of any kind. 

I like Environmental Science because I'm a very hands-on person, and I enjoy field work and lab work. I just feel like an online program can't properly set me up for that. 

Putting school on hold is an option, but we were really hoping to take out a bit more in loans than necessary for school expenses to put towards a car. My best option in these regards would be the online, for-profit institution I mentioned above. While for-profit, they're the cheapest option and regionally accredited. Almost all of my expenses would be covered by gov grants, except for the portion we'd take out to put towards a car. I'm just worried about job prospects -- this school is well-respected within military and government circles, but not so much in the private sector. I've taken classes with them before and really enjoyed them -- I'm just worried about respectability and the like. 

I am just thinking out loud, and looking back on my own experience.  I spent a lot of time sort of meandering around while I spent money on education that I probably could have saved and done more efficiently.  It put me in a difficult situation later and I didn't have as much flexibility because I had a lot of student loans.  I wish that someone had helped me to find a job/field that I wanted to do at the time, not worrying about whether or not it was my life's calling and purpose, and go after that with vigor. If you don't have children yet, and your DH is willing to move, I would really try to get your bachelor's out of the way now and just go after something.  You can always go back to school later, yes, but we are lying if we say it's not hard to go back once you have kids.  It absolutely can be done, but it is hard in many ways, the time involved, harder to move away from family, etc.  I don't know if you have or are thinking about having children, but it would be easier to move now than later.  Plenty of schools offer on-campus housing for married students, but if your DH works it might be better to rent off-campus.

If you like history but don't want to be a teacher, what would you plan to do with that degree?  If you like environmental science, have you looked at what jobs you can get in that field with a bachelor's degree?  Also think about what you want for your own life.  Do you want to have kids, do you want to have a job you can work part-time, etc?  Think about not just what kind of job you want but what kind of life you want and pick something that can fit into that life.  I think it is really exciting and you have a whole world of opportunity in front of you!  Good luck in making your decision, but also know that there are probably a lot of things you could choose and be happy with, and they are all good.  And even if you choose something you hate, even that is not the end of the world.  Good luck!

• Like 3

With your love of both history and Environmental  studies, check into Environmental History. It's the 'new' growing area in history and it would combine both of the fields you enjoy. As an example, one of my history professors here has been involved in a long project concerning the big Berkeley Pit mine in Butte. It's no longer used and now filled with water but it's been a long object of historical study and they've been researching the effects on local wildlife. One of the other profs in the department has written several books on environmental history issues in Japan. 

As for housing on campus, Grantmom is right. We are in on-campus housing that is for families and grad students only - and the occasional professor. One of those in my dept is my upstairs neighbor :) Given this is a college town, the rent is significantly cheaper than off campus. We walk to class in no time. 

I

Putting school on hold is an option, but we were really hoping to take out a bit more in loans than necessary for school expenses to put towards a car. My best option in these regards would be the online, for-profit institution I mentioned above. While for-profit, they're the cheapest option and regionally accredited. Almost all of my expenses would be covered by gov grants, except for the portion we'd take out to put towards a car. I'm just worried about job prospects -- this school is well-respected within military and government circles, but not so much in the private sector. I've taken classes with them before and really enjoyed them -- I'm just worried about respectability and the like. 

I would suggest looking at the big picture of why you want to pursue a college degree and of how you are going to handle finances.  I would suggest not making a decision about college based upon borrowing more money to buy a car.  Think of where you want to be five or ten years down the road.  While you may be able to save money renting from a relative, overall is that the best financial decision?  It may not be if it prevents you from investing in an education, increases transportation costs, etc.

If you are looking at taking out student loans to pay for a college education, how will those be paid back?  If you have a particular career interests that require a college degree, taking on debt to finance that investment in an education can be a reasonable thing to do.  I would be slow to take on debt for education if I didn't have some clear goals of what I was planning on doing with that education (and how I was going to pay back the money).

• Like 3

I appreciate all of the advice.

At this time, I think all I can really do is wait until we get a car and/or move closer to a school I can attend.

Moving is not an option. I work as an independent contractor. There are absolutely no jobs in the area for DH, hence the reason we need a car so desperately. Getting the car means making more money which then means we can move relatively closer to universities and more jobs.

I absolutely do want to get a degree that will further us financially, and I don't take on college debt lightly. Unfortunately, it's a necessary evil for many.

Get a car loan for the car, not a student loan. If an advisor at a for-profit school is encouraging you to take a bigger student loan in order to buy a car, I would be very, very worried about the ethics of the school.

Whether college married student housing is more expensive or cheaper than off-campus is going to depend wildly on the location. For example, the nearest state U to me is UW Seattle. The local area has high rents, but the campus area is well connected to the bus system. Campus family housing would be a great deal. You would save money compared to off-campus rent, plus you might not need a car since you're on lots of bus lines. Another school, it could be a totally different story. Depends on the local rental market and general situation.  Applying to a state school with married student housing might be a possible option to research, if there's a state school in a location where your DH might be able to find a job and the housing isn't oversubscribed.

• Like 5

I don't think you can choose a major without figuring out what sort of job you want when you are done. Find people in the field you want to work in and figure out what needs to be done to get a job. Our friend studied medical transcription without asking (her mother is in healthcare!!!) only to find out she was unemployable when she finished her studies.

Online degrees come with some very big downsides. Employers may assume you went online because you have no interpersonal skills which will make you unemployable. 

Emily

• Like 2

It seems my options are:

• Wait

Any words of wisdom? I'm sick of waffling back and forth on my options every few days.

I went through the waffling last summer. I think I made a decision on every major/minor combination at my school. In the end I'm staying with history and minoring in French. 

So, I'll speak to the history major part. There are jobs out there for history majors that aren't teaching. However, many of those more specialty jobs want a master's. Public history is one, and something I'm considering. I don't want to teach either. Historical preservation ties into that, but I don't really want to spend most of my time fundraising and promoting. 

At this point, I'm not sure exactly what I want to do either. I'm focusing on medieval history, mostly British and French, hence the French minor. I'm also interested in historical linguistics and manuscripts. 

Part of this waffling has been eased by sitting with my advisor and discussing options. It's also helped to sit in history classes and be able to ask questions in person. 

I love online classes, but I would be hesitant to do a complete online program for history. Why? The interaction, the advising (it's just different doing it online), the one to one focus you can get and really sculpt a major how you want. 

I've looked at a lot of online programs, they're either world or US focused with few specialty classes. Some grad schools I looked at do not accept applicants from online programs. 

I'll write more in a bit, but I'm going to go get Mother's Day pizza. BRB. 

We lived in family housing while my husband was in grad school and many of the students living there were married undergrads. It was very cheap as the building were older and the university was only trying to cover expenses. Our rent covered everything except long distance phone and we lived for free for two years while we were RAs. It was a wonderful community and I loved our four years there. When I was pregnant with our son there were six other pregnant women in our courtyard. It was a great place to be a young married couple and start a family. None of us had much money, but we had lots of fun together.
  • Like 1

I'm on my phone, so multiquote is difficult.

@JanetC - We do not qualify for an auto loan. We have a friend selling a car at a very decent cost and were going to use a small portion of loans towards that. The school had nothing to do wiyh the decision. Of the two schools in our area that provide married housing, one is flooded with applicants and another requires 1 year of attendance before allowing you this option. I've never known off-campus housing to be cheaper - they really gouge the student renters around here!

@EmilyGF - Considering I started and operate my own business, lack of interpersonal skills isn't going to be an issue. If I go the State U route, the degree will be from them - it won't state that it was earned online, so the employer or grad school wouldn't know unless I disclosed.

@elegantlion- I would love the interaction that comes with on-campus schooling, which makes me want to wait. But at the same time, waiting doesn't feel right to me either. This particular degree doesn't allow for specialization - classes are evenly balanced, even within the electives requirement (no more than x number of classes can be devoted to XYZ region, etc.).

I actually volunteer with the Historic Commission here in town - mostly updating historic building information, working on preservation projects, etc. I'm not sure I could see myself doing this as a job, but I do see how my love for environmental science could be tied in (planning of preservation sites, etc.).

I'm still unsure if I'll wait, or go with the State U. I appreciate all of the Good ideas!

At this time, I think all I can really do is wait until we get a car and/or move closer to a school I can attend.

Yes, given your financial issues and uncertainty about a major, I'd focus on those two issues first.

Online degrees come with some very big downsides. Employers may assume you went online because you have no interpersonal skills which will make you unemployable. 

I've been an online professor for about ten years and have a contract with one college where I teach the online professors how to be effective.

And frankly I don't recommend going 100% online if you need the degree as a job credential unless you confirm that approach with the type of employer you're looking for.  Online doesn't matter as much if you are already in the field and area just enhancing your skills.  Or if you're looking to just get a bachelor's degree as a basic credential.  But some recruiters I've talked to have flat out told me that they don't look at resumes from students from online schools with little experience.  It's considered a lower-tier degree in some fields.

My oldest is starting college this fall, and he's doing two hybrid classes (limited face-to-face session) because of scheduling issues, but he didn't like the 100% online classes that he did as a dual enrollment student.  One of them was very well done, but he felt like there were so many technical issues to deal with and that it took so much more time to cover the same amount of material.  

• Like 1

It seems my options are:

Can you do online in something more practical?

I would not do this. I do not respect the for-profit online

• Wait

It depends what you need to pay off your education or pay your bills, honestly.

I think you get one chance of an undergraduate degree with financial aid, and you should use it wisely. I think finding a career that you would or could work at while caring for your family is key, and enjoyability comes second. Some things, like history, art, and music are for most of us hobbies, not careers. Environment is a good area. Environmental law is an area that could be flexible and you might be able to work as a clerk. Law and history share some common themes and skills. You might be able to do the law courses partly from home.

I, too, lived in student housing and it was great. I have very happy memories from that time.

I'm still unsure if I'll wait, or go with the State U. I appreciate all of the Good ideas!

Are there any certificate programs you could as an undergraduate while you consider your options? 

There are some GIS undergraduate certificates online. That would tie into history and environmental studies. 

You might also look into grant writing certificates, sounds like that would come in handy for you. 

It's probably not ideal, but would keep you moving forward without committing to something you're not sure about. 

• Like 1

I am assuming you don't have kids yet in saying this, but I would consider moving to where you could do what you want to do and where your DH could get a job.  If it is in a place with good public transportation, you don't need a car.  I just would hate for you to be saddled with debt, any debt at all, and not be employable.  If you can get a bachelor's degree with no debt now, then I think that is ideal, even if you aren't 100% sure it is what you want to do.  Because then you will always have that in your back pocket. 

• Like 1

Whatever you do, don't do the for profit school. It's not worth it. My husband has a degree from one, and although he's done well for himself we are saddled with 100K in debt from it. SO not worth it. 

Go to a state school for whatever you do.

• Like 2

You say your first priority is job opportunities. Have you considered majoring in something like business? I was a humanities major in undergrad, and I loved my degree, but I got my job from my more practical (and expensive) graduate studies.

Could you double major in history and something more practical? I want you to get the most bang for your buck from your undergrad degree.

• Like 1

I don't think you can choose a major without figuring out what sort of job you want when you are done. Find people in the field you want to work in and figure out what needs to be done to get a job. Our friend studied medical transcription without asking (her mother is in healthcare!!!) only to find out she was unemployable when she finished her studies.

Emily

I've not found this true at all. The diploma doesn't state that it was earned online, and many state schools have online degrees these days. How would an employer know the classes were taken online?

It would really depend on what the degree is in too, I would think. I started a psychology degree on-campus, but then I moved. I couldn't see myself doing research classes online (like Hunter's Moon feels she needs the hands-on for science), so I finished a sociology degree through Thomas Edison State College (known in military circles, mostly, I guess). It did not make me unemployable at all (and I've worked in different fields).

As an Environmental Chemist/Engineer, I have to tell you that online classes in Enviro Science would be very limiting. A substantial part of any reputable science degree should be lab work, which would be difficult to do in your case.

I would steer clear of a for profit school just on expense alone.

History is a good base for getting teaching credentials or going on to law school.

What do you want to do with your degree? If you don't have career goals in mind, it might be better to wait.

My personal decision would be to wait and work for at least a year, if my finances were that tight and my goal unclear. 

If there are truly no job opportunities where you are now, you are going to have to move eventually. I would focus on how to make that possible for the following year. Brainstorm any and all ways to make at least some money. Are there any part-time jobs dh could take? Can he mow lawns, do fix-it projects, collect cans and scrap metal? It sounds like you work from home, can the two of you babysit, either during the day or on weekends? I say the two of you because most people prefer a woman to be involved. 

If he's 24 or younger, he should look into JobCorps. 

Rather than looking to buy a car, I would look to rent a crappy apartment in a city/suburbs, that would have jobs dh could walk or bus to. The transit system in my area sucks pretty hard, but people can and do use it to get to work - you have to allow extra time, so it's inconvenient but certainly cheaper than owning a car. 

I don't want to be discouraging, but taking on years of debt when you are already strapped can really be crippling for a long time.  

• Like 1

If i were going back to school, I'd probably get a Liberal Studies degree.  It's multi-disciplinary, usually for older students (most have a minimum age requirement), and focuses more on critical thinking, communication and problem-solving than just learning about one subject. It's more holistic.

For instance, if you had an interest in global studies you could take classes in history, sociology, political science, religious studies, public health and peace & conflict studies that all relate to international topics.  Each discipline approaches the world a little differently and its hard to choose just one.  

I've not found this true at all. The diploma doesn't state that it was earned online, and many state schools have online degrees these days. How would an employer know the classes were taken online?

It would really depend on what the degree is in too, I would think. I started a psychology degree on-campus, but then I moved. I couldn't see myself doing research classes online (like Hunter's Moon feels she needs the hands-on for science), so I finished a sociology degree through Thomas Edison State College (known in military circles, mostly, I guess). It did not make me unemployable at all (and I've worked in different fields).

:iagree: Many reputable colleges and universities have online degree programs, and nowhere on the diploma or transcript will it say that the degree was earned through online courses. No future employer will ever know unless you tell them.

• Like 2

I agree that reputable schools offer online courses.  Let me tell you about one of my children.  She had gotten her AA, and then moved to a smaller town, like yourself.  (At least I'm assuming you are in a smaller town, since there are no colleges nearby.)

She has done everything she could to continue her education, mostly through online schooling.  She did have one summer where she commuted 45 minutes to a college, but even then, most of that was online so she really only had to be there once/week.

Sure, the classes have been mostly online and not at a well-known school outside of our state, but the school is solid with a decent reputation in our state.  Because she is in a small town, there is not much competition for the few professional jobs in her career area.  However, it is because of this lack of competition that she was hired for her career job while she was still just a junior in college.  There was simply no one else in the entire town who could do it, and they could see that she was smart and capable of learning on the job.

Last month, she was promoted to the manager position of that department.  By the time she actually has her degree (in December), she will have already worked in her field of study for two years, and even been manager of her entire department for part of that time.  (Granted, she is in school full-time and working full-time so is busy, but schooling online enables her to do that.)

So, yes -- she mostly did on-line courses with no-name (but still solid) colleges, but she already has experience that most students coming out of school with the same degree may not have for years.  (Because competition is so stiff in big cities, and once hired, they would have had to move up far more slowly.)

After she graduates, in December, she is planning to move to a bigger metropolitan area and will have plenty of good career experience to show on her resume.

Anyway, just wanted to let you know that doing online courses in a smaller community can have its benefits.  Good luck!

• Like 3

Renai,

I had just had dinner with a friend who got his BA online. He went onto grad school, but was only accepted conditionally and denied a teaching assistantship due to the department's belief he would have no people skills. He's really personable, and one of his professors later told him this. I would just be careful. He's doing fine now; he just had a minor detour (and an extra two years of grad school to pay for due to his lack of teaching assistantship).

I don't know how widespread this is; I just know it does happen so be careful.

Emily

Is there a Starbucks anywhere near you? They're now paying for their barristas to get degrees from Arizona State online. I see a bachelor's degree in business with a concentration in sustainability that would tie into an interest in environmental science. http://asuonline.asu.edu/online-degree-programs/undergraduate/bachelor-arts-business-sustainability

I also see a degree in urban planning at ASU online. One of my sorority sisters studied urban planning for her bachelor's and then got a master's in architecture. She got her LEED certification (eco-friendly building design) and now works to help design "greener" schools, libraries, and other municipal buildings.

• Like 3

Renai,

I had just had dinner with a friend who got his BA online. He went onto grad school, but was only accepted conditionally and denied a teaching assistantship due to the department's belief he would have no people skills. He's really personable, and one of his professors later told him this. I would just be careful. He's doing fine now; he just had a minor detour (and an extra two years of grad school to pay for due to his lack of teaching assistantship).

I don't know how widespread this is; I just know it does happen so be careful.

Emily

Interesting. I've also been accepted at several graduate schools (I'm currently getting my Masters) and where/how I earned my BA was never a consideration. I had to provide the same info as everyone else.

I know the attitude you mention was very common a few years ago (i I finished my BA in 2004 and was a little concerned), but online education is very mainstream now, even among state and other high-caliber universities.

Funny, teaching - one of the occupations you have to be most personable - has many degrees online. Of course, student teaching and practicums have to be set up in local classrooms, but many licensure programs are online now.

I'm doing an online 2nd bachelor's in a "helping" professions field and there is a lot of stress put on doing paid or volunteer work experience related to it. At least one grad school recommendation is supposed to come from a supervisor who knows us IRL. The online professors can attest to our academic qualifications but they should only give at most 2/3 letters.

I'm doing an online 2nd bachelor's in a "helping" professions field and there is a lot of stress put on doing paid or volunteer work experience related to it. At least one grad school recommendation is supposed to come from a supervisor who knows us IRL. The online professors can attest to our academic qualifications but they should only give at most 2/3 letters.