Menu

Earthing.. a real thing or BS?

Entropymama

I have some friends who are really into the all-natural lifestyle. And I think that's great! I aspire to be more that way myself. But this trend of 'earthing' is hitting my BS button. The idea is that walking barefoot is good for your heath because your body is positively charged and the surface of the earth is negatively charged. The 'free electrons' that are on the surface of the earth are then absorbed by your body, doing something good. 

Now, I'm no scientist, but I taught chemistry this year and I'm not sure all this is true. Is the surface of the earth negatively charged? All of it? Grass, rocks, dirt, mud, sand, clay, moss, etc. Are they all negatively charged? Which molecules? And some molecules will receive an extra electron, but which ones? And if the bottoms of your feet receive electrons, how does that help the rest of your body? Do they make it to the blood stream? Or what? 

It didn't help that the Mercola article had the same quote attributed to two different sources. 

Still, I'm up for my mind being changed. Anyone know the science on this? 

I don't care about the science. Where I live, walking barefoot = ticks, and tick bites = Lyme disease. :ack2:

I'm all in favor of wearing shoes outdoors, even if I'm missing out on potentially valuable and beneficial "free electrons."

Also, the whole thing sounds like kind of a crock to me, but I have no scientific basis for my opinion.

• Like 5

I think nature has profound benefits for people. They can show drops in blood pressure, cessation of mild depression and anxiety, and improvements in oxygen saturation. These can be proven, in controlled experiments.

Nature is *good* for us.

But earthing? I think it's utterly woo nonsense. If I'm proven wrong I'll change my my opinion, but you're not the only one suspicious of it ;)

It seems dumb to me.

BUT

There is real evidence that the microbes in soil are very beneficial for brain development. There was also a recent article out about a link between those microbes and depression prevention.

So maybe dirty feet are good for you? :laugh:

• Like 7

There is real evidence that the microbes in soil are very beneficial for brain development. There was also a recent article out about a link between those microbes and depression prevention.

Can you link to the article?

I'm personally big on going barefoot because I happen to like not wearing shoes, but when I hear "microbes in the soil", all I can think of is "hookworm epidemic". (Mind, that was caused by poor sanitation as much as anything else, but the point remains.)

• Like 7

I'm personally big on going barefoot because I happen to like not wearing shoes, but when I hear "microbes in the soil", all I can think of is "hookworm epidemic". (Mind, that was caused by poor sanitation as much as anything else, but the point remains.)

Yeah. Ick.

I have a friend who has gone earthing for several years now (basically, she lays on the ground feeling the grass and dirt). I didn't know it was a thing. I thought she made it up!

This would be the equivalent of offering myself up as a yummy meal to the ticks, at least where I live.

• Like 1

It seems dumb to me.

BUT

I'm banking on that microbe stuff, it's either that or drive myself batty worrying over my two year old who is intent on tasting the dirt and mud everywhere we go  :ack2:

• Like 3

Awhile ago I know I read about a study about how walking barefoot was better for our bodies, simply because shoes aren't really good for our posture and so forth. *That* I can buy, though I can't say I know enough about the supposed science behind it to be true. I knew a couple of people who started doing all their running barefoot after they read that I thought it sounded, um, foolhardy in an urban area. But they seemed to think it was all good. Their risk, I guess.

The idea that you can connect with the earth is some major mumbo jumbo.

I do enjoy going barefoot in appropriate situations outside. The kids like to be barefoot in the backyard, so I try to keep the patio at least marginally swept. But sometimes they run into the alley that way and I want to scream. Last year ds sliced his foot open being barefoot at a play fountain. Sigh. Lots of stitches. Nearly messed up his ballet camp.

• Like 1

Seriously. IIRC, the guy who started TOMS shoes, with the concept of donating a pair of shoes for every pair purchased, wanted people to have shoes because their health was poor due to lack of shoes. I'll see if I can find an article to link.

ETA: Ah, darn. I can't find anything about the specific illnesses of the barefood children. Just that they had them. Although obviously, there is a difference in that those children have no choice. They cannot clean their feet and put on shoes if they get a cut.

She explained that many kids lacked shoes, even in relatively well-developed countries like Argentina, an absence that didn't just complicate every aspect of their lives -- including essentials like attending school and getting water from the local well -- but also exposed them to a wide range of diseases.

From Entreprenuer magazine in re: Blake Mycoskie

I have some friends who are really into the all-natural lifestyle. And I think that's great! I aspire to be more that way myself. But this trend of 'earthing' is hitting my BS button. The idea is that walking barefoot is good for your heath because your body is positively charged and the surface of the earth is negatively charged. The 'free electrons' that are on the surface of the earth are then absorbed by your body, doing something good. 

Now, I'm no scientist, but I taught chemistry this year and I'm not sure all this is true. Is the surface of the earth negatively charged? All of it? Grass, rocks, dirt, mud, sand, clay, moss, etc. Are they all negatively charged? Which molecules? And some molecules will receive an extra electron, but which ones? And if the bottoms of your feet receive electrons, how does that help the rest of your body? Do they make it to the blood stream? Or what? 

It didn't help that the Mercola article had the same quote attributed to two different sources. 

Still, I'm up for my mind being changed. Anyone know the science on this? 

Yes, it is correct that the surface of the Earth carries a net negative charge of approximately 5x10^5 Coulombs.

The atmosphere is having roughly the opposite charge, so that Earth+atmosphere are approximately neutral.

I call the health benefit of walking on the negative charge BS.

Walking barefoot has all kinds of benefits through the simple mechanics of walking without shoes on uneven ground (if done safely on appropriate surfaces and in the absence of parasites). A foot massage could provide these probably just as well.

I highly doubt "absorbing electrons" for whatever purpose is one of these benefits. Claiming an "electron deficiency" of the body is ridiculous.

• Like 7

There are benefits and risks to almost anything.

The electron thing sends my bulls*t meter skyrocketing, BUT I think that there are very real benefits to being outside, touching the earth, being in the sun.

There are also very real risks which is why people developed shoes, floppy hats, and I daresay it may be one of many reasons that factor into why we live longer than other mammals and primates. Ya know... clothes. They are nice. Even on your feet.

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/271195.php

Being warm slows your metabolism.

Anyway, I think that it's a balance. Could there be problems with fewer parasites, when some immune problems have been scientifically demonstrated to be alleviated by introducing parasites? Yes. Does that mean having hookworm is better than not having hookworm? No. Is there a reason we get fevers? Yes. Do I want to risk brain damage in my two year old? No. Does cooking food reduce the number of vitamins? Yes. Does it increase the amount of accessible calories, thereby freeing me up to do things other than eating, like playing guitar, and giving me the brain power to do so? Yes.

That said, I love being barefoot and would go barefoot all the time if it were socially and health-departmentally acceptable. Not because of electrons. Just because somehow it feels nice to me.

• Like 3

It seems dumb to me.

BUT

Only if you lick your feet :lol:   Seriously, I have read that little kids being grubby and getting exposed to microbes like those in dirt (nice garden dirt, not the cat box, or rolling around in a city street etc) is good for developing a strong immune system, avoiding asthma, etc. 

• Like 1

Also, the shoes and ticks thing seems silly to me. Ticks (and Lyme) are super endemic here too. But you have to do a tick check every single time you go out. Being in anything short of a hazmat suit is putting you at risk. And whether they come in through your collar or your pants leg or sleeve or what, they move.

• Like 3

There is a research-backed theory out there that parasites help prevent autoimmune disorders...

Yes, actually, an outgrowth of the hygiene hypothesis. But the key (from what I've read) is the right parasites in small amounts... not whatever happens to be "around". You know, something controlled, unlike the wild profligacy of nature.

• Like 1

Ever since I hard about the raccoon thing Hornblower mentioned, I can't comfortably go barefoot. Also, seems like the study I heard on the anti-allergy benefits said the benefit was actually from the parasites or worms that were picked up due to walking barefoot in places where they are endemic. Sigh, I used to love going barefoot.

Yes, it is correct that the surface of the Earth carries a net negative charge of approximately 5x10^5 Coulombs.

The atmosphere is having roughly the opposite charge, so that Earth+atmosphere are approximately neutral.

I call the health benefit of walking on the negative charge BS.

Walking barefoot has all kinds of benefits through the simple mechanics of walking without shoes on uneven ground (if done safely on appropriate surfaces and in the absence of parasites). A foot massage could provide these probably just as well.

I highly doubt "absorbing electrons" for whatever purpose is one of these benefits. Claiming an "electron deficiency" of the body is ridiculous.

Yay, science! Thank you. 

I'm all for lying in the grass, don't get me wrong. I think it has all kinds of health benefits. Especially when it's warm and the kids leave you alone and there aren't any bugs. But yeah, the electron thing is wonk. IMHO.

• Like 3

Also, the shoes and ticks thing seems silly to me. Ticks (and Lyme) are super endemic here too. But you have to do a tick check every single time you go out. Being in anything short of a hazmat suit is putting you at risk. And whether they come in through your collar or your pants leg or sleeve or what, they move.

Ever since I hard about the raccoon thing Hornblower mentioned, I can't comfortably go barefoot. Also, seems like the study I heard on the anti-allergy benefits said the benefit was actually from the parasites or worms that were picked up due to walking barefoot in places where they are endemic. Sigh, I used to love going barefoot.

Ew. Ew ew ew ew ew ew ew. 

I'm confused about the parasites being good for you. I thought we were eradicating disease with our good hygiene?

I'm confused about the parasites being good for you. I thought we were eradicating disease with our good hygiene?

It's complicated, but the hygiene hypothesis more or less runs like this: Humans evolved in a world where there were tons of diseases and parasites to cope with. Humans, therefore, evolved a robust immune system to deal with these diseases and parasites. If a human doesn't have any diseases or parasites or dirt around, the immune system doesn't work properly and is more likely to react with allergens or to attack part of the human body (as in lupus). Therefore, a little dirt and disease and parasites may be good for the immune system.

There's some evidence to suggest that they're on to something with this. Just did a quick google search and found a representative article.

Haven't heard about these things being good for brain development, though.

glass, rusty metal, dog poop, cat poop, ticks, hookworms (Cutaneous Larva Migrans) anyone?, and my particular phobia : raccoon roundworm (mostly because that one likes to cause massive CNS damage) - no thank you.

You have officially grossed me out for the day. *shudder*

The other thing is that shoes deform the feet and disrupt natural development of strength, flexibility, and balance in the feet, knees, ankles, and hips. Modern chairs and toilets contribute as well. And our jaws develop differently because of forks and chopsticks.

• Like 2

It's complicated, but the hygiene hypothesis more or less runs like this: Humans evolved in a world where there were tons of diseases and parasites to cope with. Humans, therefore, evolved a robust immune system to deal with these diseases and parasites. If a human doesn't have any diseases or parasites or dirt around, the immune system doesn't work properly and is more likely to react with allergens or to attack part of the human body (as in lupus). Therefore, a little dirt and disease and parasites may be good for the immune system.

There's some evidence to suggest that they're on to something with this. Just did a quick google search and found a representative article.

That is really interesting. I have heard quite a bit about kids growing up on farms having fewer allergies, asthma et al. 

I really liked this quote from The Skeptic's Dictionary http://skepdic.com/earthing.html: 

I suppose "atmosphering" will be the next health fad: connecting to the Earth's natural, positive, atmospheric charge by going naked outside and letting your bare skin contact the near atmosphere while you sleep, relax, or work.

• Like 2

I suppose "atmosphering" will be the next health fad: connecting to the Earth's natural, positive, atmospheric charge by going naked outside and letting your bare skin contact the near atmosphere while you sleep, relax, or work.

Don't the pagans aleady do that with their sky cladding? I guess "atmosphering" would be a good secular term.

• Like 5

And allergies. In my mind, this is the most epically crazy TAL segment ever produced, and yes, someone in it goes to Africa specifically to walk barefoot in outdoor toilets:

http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/404/enemy-camp-2010?act=3

That WAS a really weird piece. 

Interesting, though.  Not that I'd ever want to have opportunity to participate in that kind of research.  Brrrr.

• Like 1

Epidemic of Absence by Moises Velasquez-Manoff is a book that discussed this hypothesis thoroughly.  It was really interesting and made a lot of sense.