Menu

Went to Target to buy a swimsuit

Moxie

Oy vey.

95% of American women should not wear 95% of the suits they sell. I legit have undergarments that are more outdoor appropriate. Apparently, lace is the thing this year; I'm sure it makes for lovely tan lines but not so great for walking, sitting, bending or chasing little people. Who designs this stuff and decides that that is ALL they should sell??

Off to Sears to hope Lands End has some suits for us regular gals who need to actually function in a swimsuit.

Boo hiss Target.

• Like 8

I buy board shorts or normal swim bottoms and rash guards for the kids, and spring for nicer suits for myself, usually by bra companies. They fit the best and aren't as scandalous. My girls need better support than Lands End, unfortunately, but I used to love their swimsuits when I was a teen and a bit more typical in the chest department.

Yes we still have a Kmart. One of them in our town closed but one I'd still open :).

I hope it stays open because I think the more options to Walmart the better. Also if I am going to shop for clothing at a discount store I find Kmart is ten times better. More selection, more fashionable and attractive choices.

They have a very large selection of swimsuits there of all styles.

Hope you find a nice swimsuit soon!

I buy board shorts or normal swim bottoms and rash guards for the kids, and spring for nicer suits for myself, usually by bra companies. They fit the best and aren't as scandalous. My girls need better support than Lands End, unfortunately, but I used to love their swimsuits when I was a teen and a bit more typical in the chest department.

Yep, my 34DDD needs way more support. I end up at the specialty bra store, buy one suit, treat it with care and hope it lasts 4--5 seasons. I'm going to try to eke out one more year from the one I've got.

I buy online and I get 50's style swimsuits with bust support and a halter neck. 

I have the same style suit. The nice part is that while I don't need "bust support", the suit makes me look like I actually have one!

ETA: Got mine online through Lands End, and I love it! 

I've seen a lot of rash guard tops for sale this year and not just in the kids' section. I think stores have gotten the message that for sun protection or modesty or both, many women want a bit more coverage in their swimwear

I wear one of these, although in my part of CA it's not so unusual. I couldn't rely on my kiddos to sunscreen my back :) Plus, it helps with modest nursing - I'm not a fan of my 4-baby-stomach hanging out for all to see.

I am shocked.

Kmart still exists?

There are more options than Target and walmart for swim suits?

There are suits with real bust support?

Mine eyes have been opened to the larger world around me!

Seriously, though, I am now inspired to seek a bathing suit that might actually fit AND be functional. Right now I have neither. (And it really was nice to find that Kmart still exists somewhere :) ).

ETA:  This has been a very helpful thread for me.  :) Thanks OP!

• Like 2

zulily has some great ones on sale right now in their adidas collection. Very sporty looking and some very cute ones.

I think you just saved us--Dd has been looking for a tankini for a while and we'd almost given up! I'll show her these this afternoon--THANK YOU!

I think you just saved us--Dd has been looking for a tankini for a while and we'd almost given up! I'll show her these this afternoon--THANK YOU!

I was really impressed that the prices were SOOOO reasonable. Those suits actually are cute, have a highish neckline and some are sporty, some are cuter. We run into problems with necklines on many one pieces.

My girls actually want to swim and play at the pool.

Thanks to this thread, I ordered 2 new suits from ModCloth last night.   :lol:  These shopping threads with links are dangerous late at night. 

It was way past time to replace my very old Land's End suits, so... very excited.  Thanks for the link, whoever posted that one.  I'd forgotten that ModCloth has suits!  Can't wait for the package to arrive!   :hurray:

When I looked at Target, I felt like the suits were a huge variety. Some of them were skimpy, some were weird or tacky, but they had a bunch of modest shorts or skirts style two pieces with tankinis and a couple of models of very basic one pieces.

That doesn't mean any of them were right for my body or anything... but I didn't feel like they were crazy.