Menu

Sabra hummus recall

happi duck

This Sabra "bean dip" is NOT HUMMUS in any case.

Hummus is made with olive oil and lemon juice (in addition to chickpeas and tahinah), but Sabra contains neither. The texture (ultra-whipped) is also way off. 

Don't like it with or without listeria. It is bean dip, not hummus.

Bill

• Like 4

Hummus is made with olive oil and lemon juice (in addition to chickpeas and tahinah), but Sabra contains neither. The texture (ultra-whipped) is also way off.

Bill

Who cares what it is? What matters is that it could make people very ill.

• Like 5

Bill

LOL - my dd agrees with you.  She calls it bean paste.    She's been spoiled because every summer she goes to an Arab Christian camp and eats yummy food. 

• Like 1

We just finished a recalled tub. Dd8 has been complaining of headache/stomach upset since yesterday. Guess a call to the nurse is in order although it has been 4-5 days since she had any hummus.

Oh no! I hope it's just an unfortunate coincidence and that she will feel fine soon. :grouphug:

I would definitely call the doctor and see if she needs some medication, just to be on the safe side.

Please keep us posted!

• Like 1

LOL - my dd agrees with you.  She calls it bean paste.    She's been spoiled because every summer she goes to an Arab Christian camp and eats yummy food. 

I was fortunate to be schooled in the fine art of hummus making by a pair of visiting Jordanian (Christian) "Aunties" (not my Aunties, but the mothers of two female cousins I was friendly with in college). I still have my notebook where I scribbled notes for all the dishes we prepared together for the feasting take took place during their stay. Those were worthwhile  hours in the kitchen.

Sabra bean paste is a pale imitation of traditional authentic hummus. Your daughter is fortunate to know the difference.

Bill

• Like 2

Well, I've made my own hummus, in addition to homemade baba gonoush so I will stand proudly with one foot planted in the Sabra world and one planted in the homemade world.

I've made my own pasta, too, but I don't have time to do all the things anymore and keep up with the children and the pets and the interwebs.  ;)

• Like 7

Hmmm.  Maybe I should search out some toy and baby item recalls to tell them that their brand of toy isn't a "real toy".  Forget the real danger to real people who might have actually bought the product.  

Thanks, OP for starting this thread.  I had seen the recall on the news last night but hadn't looked up the information on the codes because I wanted to go to bed.  Having this thread here was not only a reminder, but made it easier to do so.  

• Like 3

We had some of that brand we've been eating, so DH just pitched it without checking the lot number to be safe. No one has been sick, but since I'm pregnant, I'm more worried than I'd normally be.

oh no!  You should check the lot number and sell-by date.   Is it too late to fish it out of the trash?   Here's hoping you are okay.

Hmmm.  Maybe I should search out some toy and baby item recalls to tell them that their brand of toy isn't a "real toy".  Forget the real danger to real people who might have actually bought the product.  

Thanks, OP for starting this thread.  I had seen the recall on the news last night but hadn't looked up the information on the codes because I wanted to go to bed.  Having this thread here was not only a reminder, but made it easier to do so.  

This thread was on Page 2 and sinking when I "bumped it."

One can be alerted to the safety risk (product recall) AND be made aware that this "bean paste" is not a good representation of "real" hummus. Not mutually exclusive information.

Bill

Well, I've made my own hummus, in addition to homemade baba gonoush so I will stand proudly with one foot planted in the Sabra world and one planted in the homemade world.

I've made my own pasta, too, but I don't have time to do all the things anymore and keep up with the children and the pets and the interwebs.   ;)

No kidding.   We always have some form of hummus (or a reasonable facsimile thereof) around here.   Sometimes we make it; sometimes we don't.  I'd rather have the facsimile than none at all!

• Like 3

The nurse said as long as dd doesn't have a fever or neck stiffness that I can just keep an eye on her if I am comfortable with that but if I want her seen they were willing to get her in. I think considering she went to school cheerfully this morning that waiting and watching will be our course of action and hopefully this is a weird coincidence. 

• Like 1

They are working on a modified probiotic pill that will help to prevent Listeria.  http://www.foodsafetynews.com/2012/01/could-a-probiotic-pill-decrease-listeria-risk/#.VSbXSqarM3w

Unmodified ones might not prevent it but I doubt they would hurt and might help if you've ingested something with the bacterium.  Good gut health in general will help you to not get sick.  

One can be alerted to the safety risk (product recall) AND be made aware that this "bean paste" is not a good representation of "real" hummus. Not mutually exclusive information.

Bill

Very true. It's a double public service. After the EXTENSIVE hummus-making threads here there is simply no excuse for having the whipped store brands in your fridge. You all KNOW better.

• Like 4

Bill

I guess we will have to agree to disagree.

Beaniemom had already posted that her dd has been ill and that she had eaten some of the recalled hummus, so I think it was rather callous to start talking about whether or not Sabra makes "real hummus."

One of our boardies' children may be ill from the stuff. And your concern is whether or not it meets your definition of hummus? :glare:

Enjoy your discussion. I'll be too busy hoping Beaniemom's dd is OK.

• Like 1

Beaniemom had already posted that her dd has been ill and that she had eaten some of the recalled hummus, so I think it was rather callous to start talking about whether or not Sabra makes "real hummus."

One of our boardies' children may be ill from the stuff. And your concern is whether or not it meets your definition of hummus? :glare:

Thanks for the kind thoughts. Dd is doing much better this afternoon so it seems as if it is just a coincidence. Hopefully no one becomes seriously ill from this.

• Like 3

I'm guessing Bill can hold two thoughts at a time in his pretty little head. I'm sure he holds no ill will towards the child. If keeping the thread active causes someone else to check their hummus it's all good.
  • Like 6

I'm guessing Bill can hold two thoughts at a time in his pretty little head. I'm sure he holds no ill will towards the child. If keeping the thread active causes someone else to check their humus it's all good.

It is amazing that you know me so well :D

I'm pleased to know Beaniemom's child is doing well.

Still don't like Sabra whipped bean dip.

Bill

• Like 2

Thank goodness!!!!! :hurray:

I just realized that I'm arguing with you on two threads. I swear I'm not gunning for you. I'm just bored and hitting the boards hard tonight. DH has some sort of radio lab set up in our bedroom and I'm online to escape hearing his call sign for the thousandth time. Di Di daaa Di daa daa.

ETA: I seem to be arguing with Tibbie and not you on the other thread. Sheesh! I'm truly AWFUL with names.

• Like 1

I just realized that I'm arguing with you on two threads. I swear I'm not gunning for you. I'm just bored and hitting the boards hard tonight. DH has some sort of radio lab set up in our bedroom and I'm online to escape hearing his call sign for the thousandth time. Di Di daaa Di daa daa.

ETA: I seem to be arguing with Tibbie and not you on the other thread. Sheesh! I'm truly AWFUL with names.

Let's all argue! Then we can all apologize and celebrate with cupcakes. :D

• Like 2

Cortas brand. from Lebanon, in a can is pretty good hummus. It takes a little doctoring once you open it—a little olive oil and a squirt of lemon and any flavorings one might like (za'atar, sumac, roast cumin, garlic etc)—which is what the manufacturer intends. but the basic texture and taste is good. Well priced, and shelf stable in the can until opened.

Much better (and cheaper) than Sabra.

Bill