Menu

Sabra hummus recall

happi duck

I have a question Bill. Since you stated that Sabra is just bean dip, is there a such thing as "real" pine nut hummus? Or is that just a glorified Sabra bean dip too? The pine nut hummus is my favorite with the classic being the least favorite. I know nothing about hummus really but I do love a great bean dip. LOL.

I have a question Bill. Since you stated that Sabra is just bean dip, is there a such thing as "real" pine nut hummus? Or is that just a glorified Sabra bean dip too? The pine nut hummus is my favorite with the classic being the least favorite. I know nothing about hummus really but I do love a great bean dip. LOL.

I was going to say that that "if you enjoy Sabra bean dip, eat it", but now that Jean has labeled me a food purist I may dig in my heels :D

Bill

• Like 4

Since the talk of whether Sahara is real humus or not, I don't have Sahara in the fridge, but I do have the store brand.  I think it tastes like my homemade version, but since it is packed in small packs, lasts longer (only two of us eat it here). 

The ingredients in the store brand are:  chick peas, filtered water, tahini (sesame seed paste), olive oil, lemon juice, garlic puree, sea salt, citric acid, cayenne.  That seems to meet the requirements to be considered humus.  What are the ingredients in Sahara?

In the spirit of bumping this thread in case the recall information helps someone...

Is homemade hummus better with beans cooked from dry or are canned beans fine?

Also, I read once that taking the sort of papery layer off each bean was worth the trouble to get a super smooth hummus...I've never tried it, anyone btdt?

Since the talk of whether Sahara is real humus or not, I don't have Sahara in the fridge, but I do have the store brand.  I think it tastes like my homemade version, but since it is packed in small packs, lasts longer (only two of us eat it here). 

The ingredients in the store brand are:  chick peas, filtered water, tahini (sesame seed paste), olive oil, lemon juice, garlic puree, sea salt, citric acid, cayenne.  That seems to meet the requirements to be considered humus.  What are the ingredients in Sahara?

No olive oil. The use some cheap vegetable oil (memory fails as to which one),

No lemon juice. They use citric acid as a souring agent.

Then they whip it into an ultra processed texture. 

Bill (not a fan :D)

In the spirit of bumping this thread in case the recall information helps someone...

Is homemade hummus better with beans cooked from dry or are canned beans fine?

Also, I read once that taking the sort of papery layer off each bean was worth the trouble to get a super smooth hummus...I've never tried it, anyone btdt?

The canned beans are too soft IMO to make great hummus. Starting with dried beans is best.

Removing the skins is ideal for best texture. If you but a batch of beans in a large bowl of water, place the bowl in a deep sink with water running slightly from a spout, and then rub the chickpeas between ones flattened hands (rubbing back and forth) the skins will separate and float to the top of the water and will either go over the side of the bowl, or can be scooped off and disposed.

De-skinning only takes a couple of minutes as does improve the texture vs bringing with the skin on.

Bill

They use soybean oil. However, if my underweight, hypoactive thyroid, picky eater will eat it then it's okay with me.

The canned beans are too soft IMO to make great hummus. Starting with dried beans is best.

Removing the skins is ideal for best texture. If you but a batch of beans in a large bowl of water, place the bowl in a deep sink with water running slightly from a spout, and then rub the chickpeas between ones flattened hands (rubbing back and forth) the skins will separate and float to the top of the water and will either go over the side of the bowl, or can be scooped off and disposed.

De-skinning only takes a couple of minutes as does improve the texture vs bringing with the skin on.

Bill

Thanks for the information!

Good to know about canned chickpeas being softer. I've never cooked chickpeas so I can imagine I might have boiled them to death trying to match the canned.

Also, the way you describe taking off the skin sounds totally doable!

Any wisdom on food processor versus vitamix?

In this case, it sounds like the store brand is a winner!

Thanks for the information!

Good to know about canned chickpeas being softer. I've never cooked chickpeas so I can imagine I might have boiled them to death trying to match the canned.

Also, the way you describe taking off the skin sounds totally doable!

It is a matter of taste. Like pasta, I like it when the chickpeas still have a little bit of tooth. Not raw or under-cooked, but not mushy.

Some people like to use a wee bit of baking soda in the water. i don't find it necessary here, but you could experiment.

Any wisdom on food processor versus vitamix?

Not really. I like the food processor. I have a feeling a Vitamix run for too long would give the hummus a whipped texture like Sabra. But then, some people like it that way. I don't have a Vitamix, but may have to experiment with the new Ninja 1000 ( Nutra Bullit-style) blender the wife purchased recently. I'd give it whirl. 

Bill

• Like 1

In honor of this thread, I'm having some Sabra classic hummus (with a safe code) and veggies and (gasp!  Bill avert your eyes) tortilla chips.  

We ate some of the Sabra pine nut pseudo-hummus with Stacy's pita chips for lunch.   So delicious!

• Like 3

This Sabra "bean dip" is NOT HUMMUS in any case.

Hummus is made with olive oil and lemon juice (in addition to chickpeas and tahinah), but Sabra contains neither. The texture (ultra-whipped) is also way off. 

Don't like it with or without listeria. It is bean dip, not hummus.

Bill

:iagree: Sing it, brother! 

ETA: I don't even know what this abomination called Sabra is.  I've never bought or eaten a bought hummus in my life.  I just believe in the sanctity of a real hummus.  Amen.

What this thread is missing now is this video:

All About That Paste

(I am glad that the poster whose child got sick is doing ok)

-signed a gal who makes awesome homemade hummus but also occasionally hits up Trader Joes for hummus or (gasp) gets the Sabra at Costco (it's big, it's cheap, it's tasty enough whatever the hellz it is).

The flavors Sabra offers are wacky though sometimes. And some of them are just plain wrong.

My husband, oh he of the super palate, was unable to tell the difference between my skin on chickpeas and my skin off chickpeas versions. As such, I have better things to do than skin chickpeas. Because, really?!

• Like 8

I just figure the skins are healthy or roughage or SOMETHING and removing them would be a nutritional disservice to my family. I'm also in the food processor camp. I don't want hummus the texture of baby food. Heck, I even mix in a handful of whole chickpeas now and again to give the hummus some textural interest.

• Like 4

It is a matter of taste. Like pasta, I like it when the chickpeas still have a little bit of tooth. Not raw or under-cooked, but not mushy.

Some people like to use a wee bit of baking soda in the water. i don't find it necessary here, but you could experiment.

Not really. I like the food processor. I have a feeling a Vitamix run for too long would give the hummus a whipped texture like Sabra. But then, some people like it that way. I don't have a Vitamix, but may have to experiment with the new Ninja 1000 ( Nutra Bullit-style) blender the wife purchased recently. I'd give it whirl.

Bill

Hahahahaha! Give it a whirl! Good one!

• Like 1