Menu

Why does lipstick look weird to me? Do people under 40 still wear lipstick?

Janie Grace

I have slowly become a makeup user (light, very natural-looking) and I like how it looks. But lipstick -- it just looks like clown lips to me, whatever shade it is! I like a colored gloss, but that's it. Now I'm wondering... do younger people still wear lipstick? I mean, I know Taylor Swift does. But in real life, do trendy people wear lipstick? I don't pay enough attention! If you wear lipstick and think it's possible to pull off a more natural lipstick look, what is the trick? 

• Like 1

I wear lipstick, lip tints, and gloss formulas. Not actual lip gloss, because I think it makes my lips like a sticky glazed donut, but that is an off topic personal hangup :D

My husband is fond of bright red. I have lots of pinks, peaches, reds, burgundies, and a true orchid purple. Lipstick rocks, and can dress up otherwise light makeup beautifully, just like a coat of mascara.

Okay lipstick gurus (esp Arctic Mama), how do you know if a shade is good for you? You have so many shades, so obviously there isn't just one right family of colors for each person...

Maybe I need professional help!

Also -- difference between lip tint, gloss formula and lip gloss???

• Like 1

Lipstick is a waxy, opaque formula that can have matte to high shimmer effects to the base coloration.

Lip tints are thinner formulas that tend to be similar to chapstick or lip balm, with a much lighter pigment. These are what I recommend for someone not sure if they can pull a color off, because it allows your natural lip tone to come through and is more forgiving of skin coloration clashes than a lipstick, where the wrong undertone can make everything look weird.

Lip stains are often closer to lip tints in terms of consistency, but have dye component instead of just pigment and tend to be much longer lasting and lighter wearing, but they can also be drying and difficult to remove if you're not liking what you see.

Lip gloss formulas that I like are ones in a pan or lipsticks with gloss impregnating, so they tend to go on sneered than a normal lipstick but have better viscosity and staying power than a gloss, and a stronger tone.

As for what to pick, please get thee to the nearest Ulta or Sephora and experiment with a few different formulations in testers. Tarte brand is an excellent starting point, because I think they have just about every formulation I've mentioned above represented in their line, and so you can experiment 'in kind' and see the differences that aren't influenced by cross brand changes in the formulations of the same product.

As for the right tone, this takes some experimenting. It's two parts - your own natural coloration and what you wear/other makeup you pair with it. I have beige/yellow toned fair skin, but overall my coloration is cool to neutral. I look best in medium jewel tones, not too dark or they overwhelm me, and a few neutral to warm elements, especially in the pastel range. How did I figure this out? Trial and error! For lipsticks I can pull off a pink toned coral, but generally anything with brown, strong yellow, or orange undertones is bad for me. It would have to be cut strongly with a red, pink, or cool purple tone to work. And even then, a reddish orange is something I'd only wear if I wanted to go high contrast and make my lips pop. Colors that don't 'work' on my face *can* work if I'm wearing the right colored too and appropriate eye shadow and blush to mellow the contrast a bit, but they still aren't my best colors.

Clear as mud, right?

If you go to test lipsticks, wear a black shirt. That is going to help you see wha you like with your own individual coloration and without the influence of other tones that might make something look more or less suitable for you than it really is. Find the right tone and depth of shade for your skin of a nude, a lighter pink, a blush or coral, a dramatic red, a burgundy or wine, and a brown or purple darker neutral. That's really about it for the basic scope of colors. But all of these can have warm or cool tones, more or less shimmer, more or less opacity, and even things like brown or grey undertones that make them look 'not quite right' on you.

There are plenty of rules and guides, but short of paying a colorist or stylist to help you, experimentation is key. Then, is all about the confidence to wear your new makeup with panache. That would be the magical missing ingredient that makes even slightly off colorations work beautifully ;)

Okay lipstick gurus (esp Arctic Mama), how do you know if a shade is good for you? You have so many shades, so obviously there isn't just one right family of colors for each person...

Try it on, and ask an honest friend what she thinks, in indoor and outdoor lighting. People tend to reserve darker colors for evening, but it's not a rule. The cool/warm color dichotomy is a useful guide, but also not ironclad. The usual advice is to look at your veins, and if they're blueish then you're cool-toned, and if they're greenish you're warm-toned. There are all kinds of guides online for what shades look best on which tones, but in general, there's a shade of each color for every tone. I'm cool and pale, and I look best in jewel tones and terrible in earth tones, for instance. 

Sometimes ''lip tint'' means there's a hint of color in a balm or something, or it's a synonym for ''lip stain'', which is supposed to impart a long-lasting color without a lipstick texture or gloss. A ''gloss formula'' is usually a glossy lipstick, versus a lip gloss which usually adds very little color but lots of shine (read: stickiness). 

I have never worn lipstick and think it looks odd on most people too. I'm bummed to hear it's coming back, I'm thinking I'll probably be aging myself by not wearing it but I doubt I could ever be converted after 30 years of thinking it looks bad, lol! My generation (80's kids) wore lip gloss at most. My mom's generation (60's) wore the bright red lipstick so to me lipstick = old-fashioned :)

• Like 2

I think the latest trends are away from nude tones back to darker/bolder color. That makes lipstick noticeable now after a spell of low-color lips.

FWIW, the lighter pinkish shades are recommended for women as they age because they are more youthful looking than the darker tones.

LOL at ArcticMama's sticky glazed donut imagery. I hear ya! Those long wearing pastes with a gloss to go over can be too shiny/goopy looking. I do like to use a pencil on my lips, not an 80s style outline, but completely filled in, then cover with a dab of gloss or Vaseline, just enough to moisturize (not that sticky donut look!). It seems to last longer than lipstick. I do still tend to go with lighter colors, since I'm maturing and don't want to age garishly. Dark colors do not complement my skin tone.

My generation (80's kids) wore lip gloss at most.  

We did not live through the same 1980s!! True, I don't remember much red lipstick, but fuchsia was all over the place. 

Maybe you remember the lips being muted in contrast to the truly blinding eye makeup  :lol:

• Like 5

We did not live through the same 1980s!! True, I don't remember much red lipstick, but fuchsia was all over the place. 

Maybe you remember the lips being muted in contrast to the truly blinding eye makeup  :lol:

Oh man, I think I had three or four shades in the hot pink family alone. And orange. Orange lipstick! THAT's the '80's  I remember!

Maybe you remember the lips being muted in contrast to the truly blinding eye makeup :lol:

I remember having a wet n wild fuschia lip liner and lipstick that i wore together. To be honest, it looked AWESOME. :D
  • Like 3

Maybe you remember the lips being muted in contrast to the truly blinding eye makeup :lol:

I remember my eye makeup idol in the 80's was Donna Mills from Knots Landing. I thought she was so glamorous! :D

And I remember the fuchsia lipsticks, too!

• Like 1

It's not really made it's full comeback here yet except in certain subcultures. I don't see that many women over 25 and under 40 wearing it. I do see it on teens more.

The next time I go out, I'm going to look like a complete wackadoodle because I'll be trying to be all casual about checking everyone's lips for lipstick... and I always end up looking incredibly obvious whenever I try to act casual.

• Like 1

I have slowly become a makeup user (light, very natural-looking) and I like how it looks. But lipstick -- it just looks like clown lips to me, whatever shade it is! I like a colored gloss, but that's it. Now I'm wondering... do younger people still wear lipstick? I mean, I know Taylor Swift does. But in real life, do trendy people wear lipstick? I don't pay enough attention! If you wear lipstick and think it's possible to pull off a more natural lipstick look, what is the trick? 

Yes, yes, yes. :-)

You might be wearing the wrong shades. Quick seasonal analysis tutorial:

We are all either warm tones or cool tones. Without spending the time to go through the whole process of finding out whether you're a Spring or Autumn (warm seasons) or Winter or Summer (cool seasons) you can at least figure out if you're cool or warm by going to a cosmetic counter and doing this: on the left side of your face, apply a warm-color blush and a warm-color lipstick. They'll have names like "tawny" or "honey" or "apricot" or "peach." On the right side of your face, apply a cool-color blush and a cool-color lipstick (these will be true reds and true pinks, as opposed to the peachy, tawny warm colors). If you have a cool skin tone, the warm colors will look like clown cheeks and lips; if you have a warm skin tone, the cool colors will look like clown cheeks and lips.

It is pretty much impossible to know for sure if you're warm or cool just by looking at your hair or eye color, or your skin. Strange but true.

You might be amazed at the difference just doing warm or cool can make. :-)

• Like 3

I always prefer a nude rosy-brownish shade.  Something that looks natural.  I also like the Clinique Black Honey Almost Lipstick that flatters everyone.  I just can't do bright red.  I'm like another poster said - my grandma always wore that one shade of Revlon bright red, so it says old to me.

• Like 1

The teen girls who orbit my universe wear lipstick but not all the time. Usually it's only when they dress up or have some kind of special occasion.

I used to try to wear it but rarely remembered. It drove my mother crazy since she was from the Don't Leave the House Without Your Lipstick On generation. 

Sometimes these days I wear tinted lip gloss. When I remember. Which is rarely.

I have never worn lipstick and think it looks odd on most people too. I'm bummed to hear it's coming back, I'm thinking I'll probably be aging myself by not wearing it but I doubt I could ever be converted after 30 years of thinking it looks bad, lol! My generation (80's kids) wore lip gloss at most. My mom's generation (60's) wore the bright red lipstick so to me lipstick = old-fashioned :)

I always prefer a nude rosy-brownish shade.  Something that looks natural.  I also like the Clinique Black Honey Almost Lipstick that flatters everyone.  I just can't do bright red.  I'm like another poster said - my grandma always wore that one shade of Revlon bright red, so it says old to me.

See, to me grandma's lipstick doesn't look old-fashioned so much as it looks classic, and gorgeous. I don't wear makeup every day, but when I do it's full-on sixties-esque winged liner, etc. 

When I first started wearing lipstick, it looked Garish and clownish to me also. But it's only because it looks so different from what you're accustomed to and it will grow on you with time. start with a pale shade and gradually work up to other colors that you like.

• Like 2

Go to the make up counter at a decent department store and they will help you try different things; they will help you choose the shade which works for you. Take some time and look around until you find something you like; putting the color on the inside of your wrist will give you a good idea about which color works for your skin tone.

Ugh. Hate lip stick. I am a lip stain convert. It stays on all day, doesn't glop all over your coffee cup or your napkin. Spend the time to get the right shade and right brand that doesn't dry out lips. I love mine. I have two shades that I use- fall/winter and a lighter spring/summer. Spend a minute putting it on carefully in the am and it looks good all day! Love.

Lip gloss is fine but again, smeary and gloppy. But it's fun for a quick bit of color or shimmer.

• Like 2

I'm 33...and I have a lipstick obsession. :) I tell my husband at least I don't have a shoe obsession...except for Old Navy flip flops, but that's another story...it would cost him a lot more moola.  And lucky for him I tend to stick to drugstore brands, like Revlon and such.  I especially love reds and deep dark reds, but I'll also do corals and very light colours as well.

I'm glad I'm not the only person who feels like they have clown lips when I put on lipstick!! I cringe at the amount of money I've spent over the years trying to find a good color for me. I don't believe it exists. I've been sticking with chapstick (the blue kind). :-)

Ugh. Hate lip stick. I am a lip stain convert. It stays on all day, doesn't glop all over your coffee cup or your napkin. Spend the time to get the right shade and right brand that doesn't dry out lips. I love mine. I have two shades that I use- fall/winter and a lighter spring/summer. Spend a minute putting it on carefully in the am and it looks good all day! Love.

Lip gloss is fine but again, smeary and gloppy. But it's fun for a quick bit of color or shimmer.

What brand of lip stain do you like best? I have tried a few, but they seemed to dry out my lips, even if I put gloss on top of them.

I always prefer a nude rosy-brownish shade. Something that looks natural. I also like the Clinique Black Honey Almost Lipstick that flatters everyone. I just can't do bright red. I'm like another poster said - my grandma always wore that one shade of Revlon bright red, so it says old to me.

I remember the first time I saw a tube of Black Honey. It was in a GWP and I opened the tube and reacted like this: :eek: :eek: :eek: But I had heard such nice things about it so I gave it a try, expecting it to be very dark and scary... and it wasn't like that at all! :)

• Like 1

Lipstick is one of the few things I buy at the high end make up counter.  Finding a shade that looks good on my takes some effort and the staff are great at finding what I want, and one I will actually wear. 

I have a light golden color skin so I need to stay in a certain color range to avoid looking like I have a red ring on the skin outside of my lips.

DD16 has the same skin tone and wears lipstick almost every day at school.  A cute Bobby Brown color called Pale Mauve or an Urban Decay called Liar are her go to colors right now.   Both are fairly light but just add a bit of tint and brighten her face a bit.  

• Like 1

Gee, I must be oblivious, because I had no idea lipstick was so unpopular! I'm 33, and definitely a "don't leave home without it" type gal. I have several shades of lipstick (including four shades of red! To me, red = CLASSIC, not old) to choose from depending on what I'm wearing that day. My lips are very pale and not even in their coloring, so I feel like I look sickly and blotchy without some on.

I'll have to check out the lips I see at church tomorrow to see who is and isn't wearing it. :lol:

• Like 2

Gee, I must be oblivious, because I had no idea lipstick was so unpopular! I'm 22, and definitely a "don't leave home without it" type gal. I have several shades of lipstick (including four shades of red! To me, red = CLASSIC, not old) to choose from depending on what I'm wearing that day. My lips are very pale and not even in their coloring, so I feel like I look sickly and blotchy without some on.

I'll have to check out the lips I see at church tomorrow to see who is and isn't wearing it. :lol:

You are 22 and have a 5th grader?????????????????????????????????????????????

• Like 1

I went to the wedding of a 25 year old last summer and all the young women had lipstick on. One gal had this beautiful matte red that looked like velvet on her lips. 

If you're not happy with lipstick, try tinted lip balms. My favorite is Clinique's Chubby Sticks for lips. They have two varieties: one is very sheer and the other is a bit more intense. They're still not as intense as full-on lipsticks. My favorite is Whole Lotta Honey, which keeps me from looking dead, but far from belonging under a big top. Clinique's Almost Lipsticks are good, too. Very sheer and light. 

See, to me grandma's lipstick doesn't look old-fashioned so much as it looks classic, and gorgeous. I don't wear makeup every day, but when I do it's full-on sixties-esque winged liner, etc.

Me too! Occasionally I'll go smoky eye/nude lip, too.

I went to the wedding of a 25 year old last summer and all the young women had lipstick on. One gal had this beautiful matte red that looked like velvet on her lips.

If you're not happy with lipstick, try tinted lip balms. My favorite is Clinique's Chubby Sticks for lips. They have two varieties: one is very sheer and the other is a bit more intense. They're still not as intense as full-on lipsticks. My favorite is Whole Lotta Honey, which keeps me from looking dead, but far from belonging under a big top. Clinique's Almost Lipsticks are good, too. Very sheer and light.

I saw someone around Christmas with a beautiful red lipstick. I asked her about it and she said it was just a red lipstick and she had dabbed a gold shimmer eyeshadow over it. It was very velvety.

What brand of lip stain do you like best? I have tried a few, but they seemed to dry out my lips, even if I put gloss on top of them.

I use Younique. They had a promotional one back in the fall but now they have several more colors. It's the only one I've tried that doesn't dry out lips. I think the price is reasonable, too. Judging from the one I got back in the fall and use almost everyday, one lipstain should last a year.

Lipstick is one of the few things I buy at the high end make up counter.  Finding a shade that looks good on my takes some effort and the staff are great at finding what I want, and one I will actually wear. 

I have a light golden color skin so I need to stay in a certain color range to avoid looking like I have a red ring on the skin outside of my lips.

DD16 has the same skin tone and wears lipstick almost every day at school.  A cute Bobby Brown color called Pale Mauve or an Urban Decay called Liar are her go to colors right now.   Both are fairly light but just add a bit of tint and brighten her face a bit.  

That UD color is gorgeous.  That's about the shade I like for everyday.