Menu

Dr. Pepper??

mom31257

Whenever I see this kind of information (and I haven't read the link, just "I'm a million years old but I treat my body like crap!")

I think, "Gee, how long would you live if you hadn't chewed tobaccy/drank whiskey every night/never exercised/eaten only marshmallows?"

• Like 3

My grandpa alternated his Coke and Dr. Pepper. He lived to be 94 and only passed after he told us all he was ready to go and quit eating and drinking. The only thing he would take at that point was his Coke or Dr. Pepper and he lingered for a few weeks still.

• Like 3

Whenever I see this kind of information (and I haven't read the link, just "I'm a million years old but I treat my body like crap!")

I think, "Gee, how long would you live if you hadn't chewed tobaccy/drank whiskey every night/never exercised/eaten only marshmallows?"

My grandparents did many of those things and were really very happy, so I don't think those things. I would rather live 90+ happy years than years and years of worry about what I eat and drink. My one grandad always said what let him live long was not worrying. He had zero health issues and was happy the whole 94 years. I hope I'm that lucky.

• Like 3

I saw this article earlier and laughed out loud, especially at this quote:

Every doctor that sees me says they’ll kill you, but they die and I don’t. So there must be a mistake somewhere,†she said.

How can we really argue with that kind of evidence? :lol: I adore Dr. Pepper, but I've worked really hard to just drink it as a rare treat. Maybe I should just go to the grocery store tomorrow and buy a few 2 liters. :)

• Like 6

Of all the vices in the world, Dr. Pepper is fairly mild.

:iagree:

I like Dr. Pepper.

Let's all have a Dr. Pepper.

For our health, of course! ;)

(I guess people could have a Mr. Pibb if there is absolutely no Dr. Pepper where they live, but I can't vouch for the health benefits...)

• Like 7

I like Dr. Pepper, too. That sounds really good right now. Too bad I don't have any in the house. Now I'm having a serious craving for anything carbonated.

Edited 10 seconds later: I just remembered I bought the kids Dr. Pepper as a reward for good behaviour. And there's some left in the fridge. And they go to bed in 20 minutes. Oh happy day!

• Like 6

Setting aside the numerous other factors, Dr. Pepper is the one soda that has an, um, medicinal effect on my bowels. I have sluggish bowels due to abdominal scar tissue and sometimes Dr. Pepper is the only thing that fixes the issue. Mr. Pibb or Diet Dr. Pepper do not work the same way. So, as scientific links are being made to keep the gut healthy, I can see how drinking something to help keep things regular - especially in the elderly - could be helpful. 

Also, since she is in Texas, it's possible she drank Dublin Dr. Pepper for years instead of regular Dr. Pepper, which had real cane sugar, not HFCS. Again, it would be interesting to see studies on soda with cane sugar vs. HFCS. 

• Like 6

Setting aside the numerous other factors, Dr. Pepper is the one soda that has an, um, medicinal effect on my bowels. I have sluggish bowels due to abdominal scar tissue and sometimes Dr. Pepper is the only thing that fixes the issue. Mr. Pibb or Diet Dr. Pepper do not work the same way. So, as scientific links are being made to keep the gut healthy, I can see how drinking something to help keep things regular - especially in the elderly - could be helpful.

Also, since she is in Texas, it's possible she drank Dublin Dr. Pepper for years instead of regular Dr. Pepper, which had real cane sugar, not HFCS. Again, it would be interesting to see studies on soda with cane sugar vs. HFCS.

I think you're on to something. Nothing like a Dublin Dr Pepper.

• Like 4

I'd drink Dr pepper everyday if it would not contribute to my 40something belly fat I work so hard to keep down. But darn now that you've brought it up it does sound good to have a Dr pepper over a big glass of ice then do an extra mile or two run/walk. Thanks so much!😛

• Like 1

I only get Food Lion's Mr. Perky.

I'm sure it doesn't count. :lol:

My FIL and DH are avid Dr Pepper drinkers. There would be a mutiny if I (or MIL) tried to bring a fake into the house. Lol

ETA: I just saw the posts about the real sugar DrP. Every time we visit our old stomping ground, the wonderful Ft Worth, TX, my DH buys cases, yes, cases!, of Imperial Sugar Dr Pepper for himself and FIL. :)

• Like 3

My grandma will turn 100 this summer. I think all I ever see her drink is water. I do not know if there was a time where water was not her main drink. I am finally making water a primary drink in my day to day life. One soda a day sounds like too much to me... the woman in the article drinks 3 a day! Yikes.

Not soda, Dr. Pepper! Soda will kill you.

• Like 3