Menu

Older boys sandals----are Keen, Teva, etc. worth it?

Ottakee

I will be looking for a decent pair of rugged sandals for our 11 year old foster boy soon.  I want something with some toe protection if possible.  Is it worth buying Teva or Keen or similar sandals for $50 or more (he is boys size 5 or 6) or are there cheaper options that hold up well?  He is going to be going through that rapid growth period so I know they will only get worn this one summer.

Also, what brands of socks hold up well?  I like the ones with gray or black soles as we have a farm and socks get really dirty here.

• Like 1

I have a pair of Keen's and while I loved them upon purchase, I don't think they were a good value.  The soles started falling off of them after about 2 years.  I'm not hard on shoes.

Honestly, I would look at cheap stores and buy him what looks good there.  He's going to grow so fast at this age, you might only get 6 months out of them.

And Keen's cost a lot more than $50.  More like double that.

Keene and Teva have always held up great around here even after punishing walks in the creek, hikes off rocky cliffs, and general hanging around.  However, I have found that after a bit Keene sandals pick up a funky odor that is very off putting!  But for us, they have been good deal.  I don't know if adults or kids sizes are built any different, my boys have worn adult sizes only.

I think they are great. But I wouldn't buy them just for beach shoes. If he was not going to wear them quit a bit, I would get cheaper sandals. If he will be running around them as his primary shoes most of the summer, I think they are well worth it.  (ETA - we've had and loved both Tevas and Keenes both for adults and kids.  The Keenes are little more sturdy, but also a little warmer and hard to get on and off.)

My DS has worn keens almost every day for the last 4 years. He has never worn a pair out, only outgrown them. They do start to stink after awhile but they can be washed in the washing machine.

If you know what size he needs check amazon and 6pm.com, you can sometimes find a cheaper pair. I've gotten a couple for under $35.

I would not invest $$ in any shoes for a kid who is growing rapidly, unless there was a place they could be handed down.  that said, I absolutely would (and have) paid for Tevas for myself and my no-longer-rapidly-growing kids. They are very hard wearing and sturdy and go with everything. Says me. LOL.  I'm obviously not a fashion plate.

Keens are fantastic, unless he has a really wide foot. They do get smelly, but can be washed. I think keens hold up better than Tevas, but they are a lot heavier. I used to buy my kids keens for summer play and summer camp, but they wouldn't wear them to the beach or the pool.

My sons wear black no show socks, but please don't have him wear socks and sandals! 😂

My kids wear a shoe size for a good two years, so I only buy Keens because I know they'll last. After those two years we hand them down to a family with five kids, and we're still waiting to see when they'll wear out. My son wears their Oxford/sneaker hybrid and my daughter their Mary Janes for Fall, Winter, and Spring, and then both wear the sandals for summer. The sandals do get stinky, but we just set them in direct sunlight some days and wash them once every week or two. No big deal.

My sons wear black no show socks, but please don't have him wear socks and sandals! 😂

NOPE......won't do that to the kid.

I can see him wearing the sandals almost all day every day so it might be worth buying the more expensive ones.  he has soccer slides and we will get a cheap pair of flip flops if he wants but for his main shoe I want something more supportive that will hold up well.

You can find Keens cheaper on Amazon sometimes.

IMO Keene last a good while, they fall apart after 2-3 years but that is a lot time for sandals you wear for outdoor activities. IMO they are a good value.

I wear mine hiking, fishing, or taking the kids to swim in the creek. I can step in the creek with them on and not have to worry about my shoes. I am rough as heck on my Keens but I buy them for that purpose.

• Like 1

We're rough on our Keens and they handle it well.  They've been to the tops of mountains (hiking mountains, not climbing mountains) and the bottom of creeks and other bodies of water.  Hubby lives in his over the summer - even for day to day wear doing his engineering job.  His last pair was bought in 2006 and is only getting replaced this year...  I'm on my third pair since 2006, but one of those pairs ended up being used by my guys for "in our creek" use so I abandoned those - they didn't get worn out.  We've had to get new ones for my guys more often, but that's due to foot growth, none actually wore out.

We're Keen lovers and won't buy anything else for rugged use - or daily use.

We bought our son Keen sandals for a trip to Puerto Rico last year with his aunt. He wore them pretty much 24/7 from what we heard. Sadly, for him he quickly outgrew them. Luckily for me, his feet were the same size as mine so now I have a very nice pair of Keen sandals. :) I love them. 

• Like 1

I like to wear sandals, but recently haven't seen any in the shoe store with the features I want, so without those features, I tell my wife they are not worth that much money to me. Recently, I have been wearing what I believe are imitations of Crocs. Very comfortable and very cheap. Less than USD $10 (prices here include taxes).

With regard to sox, I like the really thick all cotton ones if I can find them. Especially if I am going to be doing a lot of walking.

OT:  If one is going to take a long airline flight, sandals or crocs would be a good thing to wear, because feet will swell.

DD's first pair of Teva's came from a friends son who had outgrown them (worn 1 year).  She wore them for the Summer (we lived in the South so Summers last a long time) and we passed them along to another friend's daughter, who also wore them for a Summer.  I think they were "super" shoes or something.  By the time DD was through with them they didn't look great but were still in good usable condition (friend's DD used them for creek stomping and such).  We bought DD another pair of Tevas but she grew out of them so fast that I don't think it was worth the expense.   

I normally wouldn't buy pricy shoes for kids, but we buy keen sandals and pass them down the line and they last forever. Our oldest sandals have been around 8 years and they still look fine. We get gender neutral colors and try to hang on to them rather than sending them on with foster kids if we're pretty sure someone else will use them.

If sending them with a foster child who was only going to wear them for one summer season, I'd probably get a used pair at a consignment shop or eBay or buy a cheaper newer shoe since the price is steep for a growing foot. But if you plan on hanging on to them, I'd go for it!

My kids LOVE the keens.  We wear those suckers out and for Texas summers spent hiking around they just can't be beat.  I wear a pair of old Tevas and they are the BEST.  I've had them... 5 years?  Still holding strong and I hike through rivers and all over rocky paths and such with them. 

Zulilly occasionally has sales on Keen and I try to stike then :)

I showed him the keens and he was NOT impressed.  He wants another pair of way over priced soccer slides and I said no as he already has a brand new pair of Nike ones and they are not really practical for hiking, biking, etc.  He might change his tune though when my other kids get out their sandals and my son buys a pair of Keens for his mission trip coming up.