Menu

Help me with a cleaning dilemma

Critterfixer

It is the bathtub. I despise cleaning it because there are always two problems involved. Three if you count the fact that you can't turn around in it, but that's not a solvable problem so I deal with it. 

I have very hard water. The main mineral is rust, the secondary one is calcium. Plenty of both, believe me. Anything that used to be white long ago went orange. Then there is the soap scum. Between the two they make this impossible compound. 

I just spent the last hour on hands and knees scraping the tub with a razor blade. That was literally the only thing that worked. CLR won't work, because it can't cut the scum. I can't get to the scum with boiling water because of the shell of rust that coats the scum.

I'm at my wit's end not to mention out of elbow grease. Surely someone here has a solution to this chemical nightmare! Help!

ETA: We have septic, so I'd prefer to keep the cleaning products gentle if possible. I don't like using the CLR... I can't breathe!

Mold Armor! I have the exact same problem. CLR would do a bit, but it took several rounds.  Lime Away was more effective, but still several rounds.  I accidentally found out that Mold Armor spray (not the kind with bleach) not only gets rid of mold, but it also filmed up the rust/lime on my shower so that it would wipe right off.  I was dumb struck.  It's not odor-free, but it's less strong than CLR kit/bath spray.

Another thing that I have found that works is "The Works" toilet bowl liquid.  The upside to it is that it's cheap and makes no odor (because it's a squirtable liquid, not a spray).  The downside is that you don't want to get it on your hands and you don't want to get it on your shower fixtures (it discolored my chrome faucet, which was no big deal for me, because it's getting replaced, but not everyone will feel that way).

This is the Mold Armor that I get.  I get it at Home Depot, where it's much cheaper, (about $6): http://www.amazon.com/Home-Armor-FG523-Remover-32-Ounce/dp/B00405W220/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1426542378&sr=8-3&keywords=mold+armor

• Like 2

Mold Armor! I have the exact same problem. CLR would do a bit, but it took several rounds.  Lime Away was more effective, but still several rounds.  I accidentally found out that Mold Armor spray (not the kind with bleach) not only gets rid of mold, but it also filmed up the rust/lime on my shower so that it would wipe right off.  I was dumb struck.  It's not odor-free, but it's less strong than CLR kit/bath spray.

I'll take a look at this, too.

I have found that using Dove Beauty Bar instead of soap to clean our bodies helps with the amount of soap scum. I am in the same boat as you with the extreme hard water and a septic tank. Sometimes I do use harsh chemicals and then pray I don't mess up the septic balance. I would also love to know how to get hard water stains out of the toilet.

• Like 2

I have some kind of orange crap that gets all over my tub, and sometimes magnesium when the softener goes out.  CLR did not touch it.

The only thing that's worked is Zud.  I sprinkle it liberally all over the tub (fairly dry, I may dampen the sides just a squidge to get it to stick to them, but not much or it slides down).  Then I let it sit.  I come back later in the day, and the stuff comes off with minimal scrubbing (but yes, some elbow grease).  I use rubber gloves 'cause goodness knows what's in that stuff that removes the ick nothing else will budge...

The letting it sit there for a while seems to be key.

• Like 1

I have found that using Dove Beauty Bar instead of soap to clean our bodies helps with the amount of soap scum. I am in the same boat as you with the extreme hard water and a septic tank. Sometimes I do use harsh chemicals and then pray I don't mess up the septic balance. I would also love to know how to get hard water stains out of the toilet. 

Yes, we do use Dove. But with the stinky boys we did go with the Dove for men product. Sadly, even when I used the regular Dove Beauty Bar we still had enough build up to combine with the rust and calcium. There's something green, too. I don't know if there might be a little copper in there, but that shows up in the toilet. I've used some Iron Out in the toilet, but the green ring persists. That even defies CLR!

• Like 1

Barkeepers friend will take care of the rust. http://www.barkeepersfriend.comYou can find it at Walmart or some grocery stores. Just sprinkle the powder on and scrub it with a little water.

Dawn mixed with vinegar 50/50 will take care of the soap scum. Don't use it in a spray bottle, it smells horrible. Just wipe it on and leave it on for 4hours or so. Then it should come off with water and gentle scrubbing.

Good luck. :-)

• Like 1

Yes, I know I could use either a softener or a different water source. The whole house is on a filter, but let's not go there. It's still a very sore spot.

Suffice to say as soon as we can find several thousand dollars I will be insisting we dig our way to the city water hookup.

ETA: After today's job, I'm seriously considering handing the razor, the boiling water and the chemicals to the DH. After he cleans the remaining tub, you think he might start on that trench to the road? :tongue_smilie:

• Like 6

Yes, I know I could use either a softener or a different water source. The whole house is on a filter, but let's not go there. It's still a very sore spot.

Suffice to say as soon as we can find several thousand dollars I will be insisting we dig our way to the city water hookup.

ETA: After today's job, I'm seriously considering handing the razor, the boiling water and the chemicals to the DH. After he cleans the remaining tub, you think he might start on that trench to the road? :tongue_smilie:

Hugs. I get it. My dh is a plumbing contractor and I know a bit about what's involved.

• Like 1

Hugs. I get it. My dh is a plumbing contractor and I know a bit about what's involved. 

It's going to be a real chore. We have to dig from the house, across a creek and out to the road to get to the city water. It's on our to-do list.

Let's say I scratch all this lot off with my razor blade, cut it up with CLR and boil away the soap scum. Tips on keeping it off?

I need the lowest soap scum residue soap we can get. Ideas?

I wonder if you could use car wax to prevent the buildup. I've heard it recommended here before for showers and soap scum, but I don't know about the rust.

• Like 3

I wonder if you could use car wax to prevent the buildup. I've heard it recommended here before for showers and soap scum, but I don't know about the rust.

I am pretty much resigned that nothing can prevent the rust, calcium and whatever mineral is green from accumulating. So that means I'll have to use some nasty chemicals now and then. I have a feeling they would strip the wax, but I don't know about that either.

The Works toilet bowl cleaner.  Available at Walmart and Dollar Tree.  Best stuff for the toilet,evah!

• Like 3

We had a tub that looked like the sunset over Yosemite, beautiful hues of orange and red. Someone on this board mentioned to try extra strength toilet bowl cleaner and a lot of the old stuff came off - not all of it but it looks a lot better, considering that the house was built in 1914 and I am convinced the tub is every bit as old...

• Like 1

I tried the Tilex product, but since I was the only one who could remember to use it that didn't help much. But I think the liquid Castille soap will be the way to go. 

Note: I had some of the Works cleaner and by golly! Did it ever cut the rust! That's one mineral down!

It didn't get the green in the toilet bowl. Nothing ever gets the green out except the end of a knife blade.

I'm really shocked! I just used the Magic Eraser to clean my blue-build-up, gooey scum tub last night.

So was I. I figured there wasn't a substance on earth, aside from the carbon buildup on the fireplace glass, that could withstand the mighty power of the Eraser! I tore the pad off three before I was forced to admit defeat. It does, however, work very well for the lighter buildup in the sinks.

Oh, I know this! We have basically the exact same situation as you - well water, very hard (I need to clean toilet every other day or it will turn orange). Once you get it off, buy one of those dish cleaning sponge w/ handle thingies. Like this: 

http://www.amazon.com/3M-650-12-Scotch-Brite-Heavy-Dishwand/dp/B00450LLYA/ref=sr_1_2?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1426555262&sr=1-2&keywords=dish+sponge+with+handle

Fill it with half vinegar and half dawn dish soap. Gently tilt it back and forth to mix. Then after every shower, scrub the walls (if you have them) and tub down. THe one I linked to has a handy little plastic scraper on the end too that will help cut through the soap scum. I have to do this every shower or I get tons of build up very quickly. I also use scubbing bubbles on the floor and lower walls of the tub which is good too. 

Good luck! Actually this can help you get the current build up off too - the scraper is great and safer than a razor. No chance of accidentally slicing yourself because of slippery soap!

• Like 1

Yeah, I was sweating using the razor. Soap scum gets slippery pretty quickly when you are working with a sharp cutting tool.

I will have to try that scrubber. I could probably get the boys and DH to use that, or I could just rotate bathrooms for my shower so that I get a chance at keeping the walls clean. :glare:

I can't help with products, but rather than a razor - try a pumice stone, if you haven't. Obviously that wouldn't work for a fiberglass tub, but that doesn't sound like an issue if you're using a razor. :) It will be safer. The stone won't scratch your toilet, but will make a paste of scrubby stuff to help clean the gunk off.

• Like 1

My parents have this sort of problem. I used a very fine pumice on a stick like the Pumie ring remover to get all the hard stuff off. I then covered everything with Rain-X to make the water bead off. This was for a shower. I'm not sure I would do this for a tub if I actually soaked in it.

• Like 1

I used oven cleaner when I couldn't get anything else to work.  I don't have rust but have hard water and a husband who insisted on using up a bunch of hotel soaps he got when he traveled. 

If you use the drain plug and spray the tub, then you can use paper towels to wipe it out instead of letting it all go down the drain. 

I finally got the hotel soap out of his hands and got him back on Dove, which is much easier on the shower walls.  I use shower gel which doesn't build up. 

For the commode, use a pumice stone.  Cheap and easy.

• Like 2

Also, one thing that will slow the soap scum build up is to get a detachable shower head and train everyone to rinse out the shower and curtain/door every time they shower.  If you can get them to do this, it will slow the build up way down. 

• Like 3

I tried the Tilex product, but since I was the only one who could remember to use it that didn't help much. But I think the liquid Castille soap will be the way to go.

Note: I had some of the Works cleaner and by golly! Did it ever cut the rust! That's one mineral down!

It didn't get the green in the toilet bowl. Nothing ever gets the green out except the end of a knife blade.

Have you tried letting your product (something like the works or tilex) soak in the toilet? You stick toilet paper to the sides of the bowl, stick it in place with the toilet cleaner and let it sit for as long as possible, several hours. Then when you go back to scrub things should be loosened up.
  • Like 1

What about a steam cleaner? No idea if it would work but it is my only thought.

I'd also have a special towel that is used to wipe out the tub after every shower.

• Like 2

I have not tried pumice, but I probably would. The razor probably shouldn't be used either. But hard water calls for harsh measures.

I have tried steam. I have a hand steamer that isn't too heavy. Hauling it out and using it in the shower calls for some strength of will. It's a long job, wet, hot and very, very slippery. I have hurt myself before doing it when I slipped in the tub. There is nowhere to fall in there that won't hurt you. Steam does get the soap scum off, but the rust has to go first. Still a two step process. I find that the steam also makes the chemical smell of the rust remover almost unbearable. 

Soaking (once the rust is gone) would have the very best results on the soap scum. The trouble with that would be the time needed. Unless it is raining outside, fifty degrees or cooler and every window in the house open, surfaces dry in twenty minutes or less. That would leave me having to apply additional product at 15 to 20 minute intervals. I would have to set a timer, stop whatever I was doing to go do that, and in the end I would still end up scrubbing. I could do something with the toilet in that way, but honestly, it takes less time to drain the water and hit the stubborn parts of the ring with the end of a knife. But the knife or razor blade is impractical for something as large and slippery as the shower.

However, the latest experiment with The Works did some good. It took almost a whole bottle, three applications and multiple pots of boiling water but half of the shower/tub in the hall is 75% improved. The smell was so overwhelming, even with the windows open that the boys took their shower in the master bath to avoid the stink. 

The problem seems to be that I'm dealing with something like a  layered jawbreaker here. Soap scum builds up and when the water dries I get a mineral layer. More soap scum builds up, followed by an additional mineral layer and so forth. I think if I can take the soap scum out of the layering process the minerals will be so much easier to deal with. 

• Like 3

After you get it clean, one of the best things I have found to keep it clean is a green scrubbie sponge and shampoo.

I use it in my shower with relatively flat walls, so I buy the plastic scrubbie sponges with the white handle.  I give it a good squirt of shampoo (I use hotel shampoo but any cheap shampoo will work) and scrub the inside once a week.  It really helps to keep the build up at bay.  If I was doing a tub, I would probably use the ball shaped ones to get around the rounded walls a little easier.  

The nice thing about doing this is that since it is just shampoo, it doesn't stink and isn't too caustic. 

I have also sprayed my shower with vinegar periodically after my shower and then the went back 15-20 minutes later and just rinsed it.  Then I scrub it with shampoo.  It does make a difference to do a little once a week instead of waiting for a month or so.

• Like 1

Seconding the "wipe it down" suggestion. We have pretty hard water, also, although not as hard as yours!! Whoever takes the last shower in the morning wipes down the walls afterwards - every morning! This really helps reduce the build up.

People who fail to wipe down the shower win the Clean the Shower chore.....

:-)

• Like 1