Menu

What's with the ads?

Dh has volunteered to play birthday party taxi, so I supose I should use this time to clean the closet.  Maybe my passport will show up.

Back in the Closet Booyah! 

I guess now I really have to do it. 

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 6

13 minutes ago, Paradox5 said:

Potty training is falling off. Captain did really well for 2 days then started “going” everywhere and screeching “No potty!”. Even the M&M incentive is not swaying him. Any ideas on that, oh experienced ITTers?

Scotsman leaves in a couple hours.  He is all packed, passport located, bank informed so his card doesn’t get flagged, and pre checked in. The kids are trying to shove in Daddy Time like mad. This will be the longest he has been gone at one stretch ever.

I would try again once Daddy is back home.  Changes like that can impact potty training. 

• Like 8

I slept in til 725 and had to leave for work at 745!  I was only about five minutes late!  I'm finished with work now, but sitting here waiting for DD to be dropped off before heading home.  I went to the AFSA last night for weekend necessities and hopefully can stay home the rest of the day.  

• Like 5

Gonna out on my cleaning music and get some housework done.

Starting with a little of this.....

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

56 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Crows were trying to break into our house via the roof this morning.  Juliet was not pleased. 

The Birds.  :ohmy:

• Haha 4

Bathroom is cleaned, bedroom is dusted, tidied and vacuumed. One more bathroom to clean. The girls tidied up and vacuumed the rest of the house. The kitchen needs work, but I will do that later. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

I found it!!  Doesn't expire for another 2-1/2 years!

Yay!! Now to plan a good trip!

Speaking of passports.... DH is going to China in two weeks.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, KrissiK said:

That's far away!!  On the other hand, if he's going to keep traveling the world, he's gonna need to request that you come along on trips as an ESP (emotional support person).  Because that would be so awesome!

• Like 7

9 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

That's far away!!  On the other hand, if he's going to keep traveling the world, he's gonna need to request that you come along on trips as an ESP (emotional support person).  Because that would be so awesome!

I thought about it, but honestly, the places he goes, I have absolutely no desire to see. Great Britain -definitely. Spain - sure. Some parts of S. America - yes. But I really don’t want to go to China.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Paradox5 said:

Potty training is falling off. Captain did really well for 2 days then started “going” everywhere and screeching “No potty!”. Even the M&M incentive is not swaying him. Any ideas on that, oh experienced ITTers?

ALL the fun things happen in the bathroom. Favorite board books go in the drawer and you will read to him as soon as he sits! We bought a bottle of bubbles--the bathroom is the bubbles room! There's even a song! You might be able to decorate the window or shower door with a special window marker that is ONLY for here! In the bathroom, there are objects to investigate while you sit: empty tp tube to look through, hand mirror to make faces with, flashlight to laser beam at different surfaces... The bathroom is such a cool place, you'll probably want to visit several times a day! (I.e., Skinnerize him.)

Also, I set a five-puddles-a-day cap and went back to lined training underwear if we went beyond it so as to preserve my brain, such as it is. Because of course we were doing this before sleeping through the night reliably.

Edited by whitehawk
  • Like 7

I Love Cinnabon.  Can't eat them often because they are so sticky sweet but they are sooo tasty.

Roof is done and now dh is up there reattaching the satellite dish.  I'm not really happy that he's on the roof when our neighbor died from falling off his roof just a few months ago but there's not really anyone else to do it.  And the situation is different.  Neighbor's roof was about 3 stories up and very steeply pitched.  Ours is not even 1 full story up and almost flat on either end, and a very shallow pitch that's only about 10 feet off the ground in the middle.   The very peak is about 15 feet off the ground.  

The house is a total disaster area from dust and crap falling down from the work on the roof.  Plus now we should replace all the sheetrock that got wet from the roof leaking.  Plus the pounding push some nails through and they are showing just the slightest little bit on the ceiling.   I'll do what I can, but like I said, it needs some actual construction work inside.  

My brother is here from Florida.  He's going to a wedding today but we're having dinner at my mother's tomorrow. I think he's here all week so I'll have to see if we can get together any other times.   We don't talk that much and I haven't seen him in about 4 years but we get along okay.

• Like 10

56 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

The salmon foil packets are in the oven.   New recipe for me - I'm hoping they are tasty.

Sounds yummy!

• Like 1

Back from the Afsa. I swear, I hate that place. So, i’m Walking down an aisle and this huge family is there and these kids are walking and not paying any attention, so I stop and they still almost run right in to me because  they aren’t paying attention. And it would really hurt to run right in to a shopping cart head on.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

Back from the Afsa. I swear, I hate that place. So, i’m Walking down an aisle and this huge family is there and these kids are walking and not paying any attention, so I stop and they still almost run right in to me because  they aren’t paying attention. And it would really hurt to run right in to a shopping cart head on.

Unsocialized homeschoolers!!  😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

2 hours ago, Susan in TN said:

I'm in the mood for a scary movie.  Any Netflix or Prime recommendations?

We're watching Halloween Bake Off.  That's as scary as it gets for me.  🙄🤣

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

Dh and I are trying to figure out why the neighbors are shooting off fireworks.

After a quick google search, I narrowed it down to Batman Day, International Eat an Apple Day, or International Red Panda Day.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

Neighbor and I went to the AFSA.  Got dh's steroid nasal spray and oatmeal for DD.  DD is finally unloading the dishwasher so I can reload it.

Edited by myblessings4
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, maize said:

I want to shoot off fireworks for Batman day.

I know, right?

• Like 2

We watched Batman (the one with Michael Keaton) in French class in high school.  Somehow, my teacher had purchased a VHS copy in French.  While finding a film in a foreign language is easy enough now, it was very difficult in the early 90s.

My classmates and I absolutely loved the line: "Je suis Batman." and would quote it to each other when we saw each other in the halls between classes.  And it's not like you had to really understand the dialog in that movie to figure out what was going on.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, KrissiK said:

That's the main reason I got a passport. Why is he going to China?

4 hours ago, Where's Toto? said:

I Love Cinnabon.  Can't eat them often because they are so sticky sweet but they are sooo tasty.

I can only eat a little at a time because they'll make my teeth hurt. Just like Krispy Kreme donuts do. But, I don't like those so much.

We're just getting back from a ProMusica Orchestra concert. Gymnast's  Suzuki violin teacher plays in it, and often has tickets for her students (and families) for $5 each. Otherwise, there is no way we could afford to go. It was called Heroic Beethoven and they played Beethoven, Adolphe, and Korngold. Apparently, the Adolphe they played was the niece of another Adolphe who also composes. I wouldn't know that because I don't listen to NPR (according to the conductor). Oh, well.

At the end, we went backstage, where we met the principal violinist who played the solos in the Korngold piece. Gymnast became practically mute because she said he was "so famous and she can't talk to him." Whatever. He has gorgeous eyes. And he's talkative. I was almost mute. He was good-looking. Did I mention that? I'm not mute in front of good-looking men though. I don't know what happened.

I took notes on the pieces this time around because I know the violin teacher is going to ask questions. I did not like Adolphe's piece. I noted that "it belongs in a movie, not as an individual score in a concert; discombobulating." 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Junie said:

Dh and I are trying to figure out why the neighbors are shooting off fireworks.

After a quick google search, I narrowed it down to Batman Day, International Eat an Apple Day, or International Red Panda Day.

We can hear fireworks going off right now.  I don't think we live anywhere near each other so it's kind of funny we both have fireworks going on some random Saturday.  I know ours are because of a private party at a local country club.  They posted on a local board about them, mentioning that nobody who wasn't a part of the party would be allowed on the property, not even in the parking lot, to watch them.   I mean it's not like you can't see fireworks without being on the property, so whatever.   They are making our dog all barky so I hope they stop soon.  I think I just heard the finale.

• Like 3

EDPO:

So, since we're trying to do so many little things (three of them involving languages), and trying to work it around Gymnast's tutorial school, I had to come up with a better schedule. I tried putting it in a spreadsheet. I tried putting it in tables. I wrote it down in notebooks several different times and ways. It just wasn't sticking. So, I finally typed up all the subjects in large font, as many times as I wanted to do them per week, and printed them out. I cut them out into strips and organized them. Slash laughed at me, but it worked! I finally have a viable schedule! I put the subject strips in a pocket chart in order, and will hang it on the hallway wall - the only wall space large enough, without being in our bedroom or living room.

Speaking of pocket charts: officedepot.com is selling a large black one for $3.46! Go get one!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

So today I did dishes, did laundry, put all the laundry away, set up physics for Monday including mapping out all the labs for the session, made a list of all the roots/prefixes/suffixes I want to use for Science Terminology class in an Excel file so I can sort various ways and highlight once I've covered something.    Now I'm too tired to work, not really into the book I'm reading, but can't decide what I do want to do.  It's too early to go to bed and I'm not really tired, just unmotivated.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Okay, I just looked at the time and it's really not too early to go to bed.  It's only 35 minutes before usual bedtime.  

Tomorrow I need to finish my science terminology stuff since that's a Monday class.   And pick an activity for my junior science classes for the week (something not messy, last week was soooo messy).  And work on some printouts for Monday's 4-H club, robotics this week.  And go to the science center and do some cleaning and rearranging and feeding the animals.  And dinner at my mom's with my brother.  And spend some time in the garage cleaning some stuff out while we still have the dumpster from the roof.  

Early to bed might not be a bad idea so I can get up early and jump on that list.

• Like 4

I think I'm going to rent a small storage room temporarily so I can clean the house. We live in 659 sq ft and there is nowhere to put anything. I want to take most things out, and not bring back anything unless I really want them. This includes furniture. Everything else will be trashed or given away. I need to decide what size I need. I want room to sort into three divisions: keep, give, trash. I am dividing the apartment into three areas to work in one at a time. I will do the work while Gymnast is at school (3 days), during the times I'm not working...

Part of the work is emptying the blue car, which has sat nonfunctional since it broke down on the last day of school of one of the schools worked at about 5 years ago. There's some teaching materials in it, and slowly became a catch-all for other things (dh's weed whacker is in there for some reason). I do go out looking for specific teaching things I know I have, but don't have room to store in the apartment because it's too cluttered. I'm on the waiting list to get the car towed to the junkyard (and earn a little cash), so should get to emptying it.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, whitehawk said:

ALL the fun things happen in the bathroom. Favorite board books go in the drawer and you will read to him as soon as he sits! We bought a bottle of bubbles--the bathroom is the bubbles room! There's even a song! You might be able to decorate the window or shower door with a special window marker that is ONLY for here! In the bathroom, there are objects to investigate while you sit: empty tp tube to look through, hand mirror to make faces with, flashlight to laser beam at different surfaces... The bathroom is such a cool place, you'll probably want to visit several times a day! (I.e., Skinnerize him.)

Also, I set a five-puddles-a-day cap and went back to lined training underwear if we went beyond it so as to preserve my brain, such as it is. Because of course we were doing this before sleeping through the night reliably.

Looks like I will be making a Potty Fun Basket once Daddy comes home. He pottys in our bathroom that has a separate toilet room sitting backwards cause, boys spray, as we all know. He has a step, too, so it isn't like he has access issues. I like your puddles limit. He hits mine when he runs out of bottoms or 'goes' on our bed (twice so far!).

I made lemon blueberry muffins and chocolate chip cookies today. My stupid gas oven undercooked the muffins and overcooked the cookies no matter if I set the timer for 8 or 7 minutes at 350 or 375 (like the recipe says). I'm getting annoyed with it. 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Renai said:

I think I'm going to rent a small storage room temporarily so I can clean the house. We live in 659 sq ft and there is nowhere to put anything. I want to take most things out, and not bring back anything unless I really want them. This includes furniture. Everything else will be trashed or given away. I need to decide what size I need. I want room to sort into three divisions: keep, give, trash. I am dividing the apartment into three areas to work in one at a time. I will do the work while Gymnast is at school (3 days), during the times I'm not working...

Part of the work is emptying the blue car, which has sat nonfunctional since it broke down on the last day of school of one of the schools worked at about 5 years ago. There's some teaching materials in it, and slowly became a catch-all for other things (dh's weed whacker is in there for some reason). I do go out looking for specific teaching things I know I have, but don't have room to store in the apartment because it's too cluttered. I'm on the waiting list to get the car towed to the junkyard (and earn a little cash), so should get to emptying it.

If I lived closer, I would come help. I love sorting and organizing.

• Like 5

We are watching our favorite show,  Ancient Aliens. 

The short person just said, "I hope these people never stop taking drugs."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

Anyone know the difference between the different What Your __ Grader Needs to Know editions? Scotsman wants me to use them as read aloud/guidelines. Or should I ask on the main board?

JoJos Mom, I have always wanted to watch that show!

We pretend that the ocassional shootouts over yonder are fireworks.  :biggrin:

Hush was pretty good.  Suspenseful.  The Conjuring is scary.  Brings back fears from childhood.  Imma go to bed and finish watching it tomorrow.

• Like 1

It looks like I'm losing a lot of members from my STEM 4-H club.   We are about to start our 5th year, we started with around 40 members, were down to about 25 last year.  I have three families that account for 10 members just between them and all three aren't coming back due to other commitments.   I'm thinking that makes it a really good time to change things around.  We were always a standard club (4th grade and up) but I allowed younger siblings if parents stayed to help.   The members we have left are all older so I'm thinking of making it a firm 4th and up, no younger siblings at all and with the smaller group size, we can do some much meatier activities.   

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Renai said:

Storage is expensive...

I don't plan to have it for more than two months though.

...points for quoting myself...

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

A lot of storage places around here give you the first month for $1 or $11.   Often with no minimum months. 

You're place isn't much smaller than ours.  We don't have any storage either except for a detached garage with a leaky roof and chipmunks living in it.  and spiders.  and crickets.  and mice I'm sure.

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

3 hours ago, maize said:

I want to shoot off fireworks for Batman day.

3 hours ago, Junie said:

I know, right?

I do, too!!

• Like 4