Menu

What's with the ads?

My children are off on a planned geology trip--they are going to hunt geodes. I get to stay home and take care of chores and critters. And edit. After the absolute mess of the last month and a half, sitting down to edit for hours is going to be quite a change. 

ETA: Booyah!

Edited by Critterfixer
  • Like 10

Good Morning!!!!!

COFFEE!!!!!~D

Humph Day!!!!

It’s supposed to be 100 degrees today. I just cannot even..... it’s autumn, people. Get. It. Right.

Dentist appointment for oldest DD, The younger two have piano lessons. I have a parent meeting. And then Awana. And I am teaching the lesson again. I always have to tweak the lesson before I teach it, and I just don’t have the time or mental energy today.

• Like 9

12 hours ago, Slache said:

Approved. It will be less per month after gas. 2019 Corolla. I have never had a new car. It was never a good decision before. I feel weird.

8 minutes ago, Critterfixer said:

You'll love having something reliable. 

I was raised to always buy used, too. But then, 15 years ago when we were looking for mini-vans the price difference between used and new Toyotas and Honda’s was so slight that we bought new. We didn’t regret it. And now, we’ve had the Sienna for 15 years. It’s got 150K miles on it and has only had one problem besides routine maintenance.

• Like 9

9 hours ago, Susan in TN said:

If a person admitted on record to the police of doing Very Bad Things and then their lawyer got the trial delayed because they claim their miranda rights were not properly given by the police, so disqualifying all statements and evidence gathered, how likely is it that the accused person will not be convicted?  Does this happen in real life, or just on TV?

Susan, a motion to suppress an admission or confession is routine. Nowadays, it's almost malpractice for a defense attorney not to at least try.

Once filed, the motion may or may not succeed. Depending upon the circumstances, however, yes, it is possible that a suspect's entire confession may be suppressed. In that case, it cannot be used in evidence against him. Whether or not the case will proceed will then depend upon the quantity and quality of the remaining evidence against the defendant, if any. Conviction at trial, should there be one, will turn on the same, with the added wild card of the sanity of the members of the jury.

Shoot me a PM or a text if you want specifics.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Another Lynn said:

March was 6 months ago.  I think I read somewhere (probably an ad for running shoes, lol), that they can need replacing in 6 months if you wear them a lot.  

I don't think I can afford to replace these every 6 months.  I'm not actually running in them, just on my feet all day and starting to walk more.    I usually replace them every 12 - 18 months.

• Like 3

Good morning!  We slept in!  😬😬. Neighbor kid REALLY slept in!  But I was able to wake him up by calling, and we all go to school on time.  But I forgot today was see you at the pole day at 8am, so I missed that.  Ds12 went with his class, though.  

I have done animal chores and made a gallon of tea, cleaned some old stuff out of the freezer, and set some carnitas out for supper.  I'll pick up ds, take DD to her friend's house, run to children's place, and stop by work to get all of the payroll stuff.  Ds and other neighbor kid will have CrossFit this evening, and I'll pick up DD on our way home, then hopefully home for the rest of the night 

• Like 7

We hadn't bought a new car since like 1997ish, until 2011.  It made more sense to buy new in 2011, and when we bought this new van in June.  The prices on new were so low, and I hate the idea of cigarette or vaping smoke being in the vents.  I can smell it when we try out cars.  When dh needs to replace his, we will probably get a used one, though, because he drives 4.3 miles each way to work each day and he can't smell.  Plus he has his motorcycle as an alternate.

Edited by myblessings4
  • Like 5

58 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

I was raised to always buy used, too. But then, 15 years ago when we were looking for mini-vans the price difference between used and new Toyotas and Honda’s was so slight that we bought new. We didn’t regret it. And now, we’ve had the Sienna for 15 years. It’s got 150K miles on it and has only had one problem besides routine maintenance.

Same thing here. I drove used and falling apart. I love my Toyota Tacoma. It's not new now, but we buy new, and haven't regretted it, honestly. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Our van is hanging in there, but we are expecting to need a replacement at some point next year.  We'd prefer a "12-passenger something" for the 2-3 times a year we are driving a long way with everyone or camping/backpacking, but lower-priced used vehicles in this category are not always easy to come by.  Squishing all 8 of us into an 8-passenger would be technically doable, but after 2 full days on the road, we may all lose our sanity.  :blink: :biggrin:

• Like 9

Well, it's done. After a not-so-pleasant break-up with my former agent and agency a few weeks ago, I'm back on path to publication with a new agent and a new agency. I'm flat scared to death something terrible will go wrong, knock me down again, and kick me a couple of times for good measure. So much of traditional publishing seems to be getting knocked about, bloodied, and then staggering on in a forward direction. I'm happy with this new agent (she had previously offered on my story and is still enthusiastic about me and my work, and has always been supportive), but it's also nerve-wracking because I didn't expect to get thrown off course, tossed around, seasick, and then have to get right back in the boat so soon. Thought I'd be back on the docks for a while first. But here I am, and I'm hoping it all works out.

• Like 14

So, at the dealership yesterday I told him I wanted a hybrid and they didn't tell us that they had hybrids. I found out last night that they do so we are on our way back to exchange it. I am so pissed. I explained that he drives 250 miles a day and gas mileage is our top priority. I asked for a hybrid and he said my only option was a Prius which only has two doors. This is going to save us another $100+ a month in gas.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

22 minutes ago, Slache said:

So, at the dealership yesterday I told him I wanted a hybrid and they didn't tell us that they had hybrids. I found out last night that they do so we are on our way back to exchange it. I am so pissed. I explained that he drives 250 miles a day and gas mileage is our top priority. I asked for a hybrid and he said my only option was a Prius which only has two doors. This is going to save us another $100+ a month in gas.

Stupid dealership!  I think they need some ENB Action!

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

Stupid dealership!  I think they need some ENB Action!

I'm going to ask them to drop the price difference. I doubt I'll get anywhere.

22 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

Was blind but now I see?

I wasn't deaf but now I am.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Where's Toto? said:

I've been doing some training walks with dd getting ready for my virtual 5k.   Did a mile and a half yesterday after teaching all day and boy did my feet hurt this morning!   They've been hurting lately.  Not a ton when my PF is acting up but definitely more than usual and I was wondering if I needed new sneakers again.   But I just bought these in March.  They are Brooks and $$$.  I might just need to try some slip in cushions or something. 

That's six months.  Yes, in my experience you need to buy new shoes.  Six months is the longest I could get away with wearing the same sneakers. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Susan in TN said:

Was blind but now I see?

That’s just what I was going to say. Great minds and all that.😂

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Slache said:

"I was dead but now I'm not." -Alex

Hmmmm, well, I’m not sure where that falls into the Rules. That’s a technicality. Better run that by Whitehawk.

• Like 5
  • Haha 4

I've always bought new cars other than my original vehicle when I was 19 which was a 72 Chevy Nova (I'm not that old, this was in 1990).   Until our most recent purchase when we bought a 2015 Honda Pilot.  So used, but not VERY used.    The car we had was a lease (I HATE leasing) so no trade-in value.  Our other vehicle is dh's 2002 Chevy Suburban that has over 200,000 miles.  He plans to run it until it dies completely and is hoping to hit 300,000 miles.

• Like 5

55 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

That's six months.  Yes, in my experience you need to buy new shoes.  Six months is the longest I could get away with wearing the same sneakers. 

I had my last pair for 10 years.   I loved them, but then they got old, and I'm picky.  So I kept looking.  And looking.  And looking.

Explain to me why sneaker manufacturers think women want sneakers colored like Easter eggs.  I don't get it.

I finally settled.  And I'm upset.  They don't make sneakers like they used to.  Now they make them so they fall apart in 6 months so you HAVE to buy new ones.  It's an evil conspiracy wrapped in capitalism.    

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, ikslo said:

I had my last pair for 10 years.   I loved them, but then they got old, and I'm picky.  So I kept looking.  And looking.  And looking.

Explain to me why sneaker manufacturers think women want sneakers colored like Easter eggs.  I don't get it.

I finally settled.  And I'm upset.  They don't make sneakers like they used to.  Now they make them so they fall apart in 6 months so you HAVE to buy new ones.  It's an evil conspiracy wrapped in capitalism.    

Both my sneakers are black.  😉 

For me, I find that the soles of the shoes break down and lose their cushion.  Again, for me, I put new sneaker purchase in the medical budget category.  They are that important to my mobility. 

• Like 7

I hate my VW Jetta, bought new.  It is this weird issue where it never feels like it is correctly aligned in the lane.  If I think I'm centered, I'm actually too far over to one side.  I have to constantly correct myself.  After a few years you'd think I would have gotten used to it.  Nope.  Every time I drive it I think the same thing.  I hate you, car!  I drive rentals all the time, and they are all perfectly aligned.  I hate my car, did I mention that?

I loved my Honda Civic, bought new.  200K + miles.   I miss that car.  I also miss the 2-door Civic bought used that an ex smashed up.  May it RIP.

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

Just now, Jean in Newcastle said:

Both my sneakers are black.  😉 

For me, I find that the soles of the shoes break down and lose their cushion.  Again, for me, I put new sneaker purchase in the medical budget category.  They are that important to my mobility. 

I buy Asics, and refuse to buy online.  So by the time I drag myself to the stores all the black ones are sold out and all that is left are endless rows of easter egg-colored sneakers.

I also refuse to buy that new style of foam sneaker, where after 2 months they are as flat as a pancake.  Or that new flimsy fabric that my big toes pop right through.  Like I said, I'm picky.

• Like 5

My current sneakers are mostly dark gray with some pink piping.  Like I said, I settled.  It was the best of my bad options.

Oh, and in every place I live size 9 1/2 seems to be the first to sell out, so again, stuck with crappy colors.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

I like to buy cars that are 6 months to 1 year old.  Still considered used.  But they are really almost brand new. 

This is me, but with mileage. I'll buy a 6 year old car with 40,000 miles.

• Like 4

51 minutes ago, ikslo said:

My current sneakers are mostly dark gray with some pink piping.  Like I said, I settled.  It was the best of my bad options.

Oh, and in every place I live size 9 1/2 seems to be the first to sell out, so again, stuck with crappy colors.

I can verify the truth of this!  In the flower of youth I wore a 9 1/2 narrow.  Talk about hunting for Easter Eggs!  Five kids and a few pounds later, I'm an 11.  At least in athletic shoes.  And the one brand I like that made narrows, stopped making narrows.  I have heard of a newer shoe store in town that scans your feet and then suggests the best shoe based on the scan.  I'm curious, but a little worried about the pricing.  

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Another Lynn said:

!Five kids and a few pounds later...

I did not know this was a thing! Mine didn't grow. Other parts did...

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Slache said:

I did not know this was a thing! Mine didn't grow. Other parts did...

I used to wear 8/8.5 narrow and now I wear 9/9.5 regular.  

This summer I tried on a million pairs of shoes and finally gave up and bought the discontinued model of Salomons that I’d been wearing for 3 years. I found a returned pair on REI’s website. I should probably start looking for another brand/model now, before time runs out on these. 

• Like 3

My favorite used car was a 7yo Malibu Maxx with 115,000 miles on it. Ds24 eventually bought it from us and is still driving it. I love that $5k car. 

Our 12-passenger van was a year old corporate vehicle with 30,000 miles on it. It appeared to have a couple bullet holes in the side that were badly covered up, but we bought it anyway. 

Dh’s current car is a 6yo? Altima with 80,000 miles on it.  It’s in great condition, though it has a couple issues with the body.  Nothing that effects function.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

My favorite used car was a 7yo Malibu Maxx with 115,000 miles on it. Ds24 eventually bought it from us and is still driving it. I love that $5k car. 

Our 12-passenger van was a year old corporate vehicle with 30,000 miles on it. It appeared to have a couple bullet holes in the side that were badly covered up, but we bought it anyway. 

Dh’s current car is a 6yo? Altima with 80,000 miles on it.  It’s in great condition, though it has a couple issues with the body.  Nothing that effects function.

Twinsies!

We have a 12-passenger van (that was a one-year old fleet vehicle -- no bullet holes) and an Altima.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I have worn 8 1/2 wide for a very long time.  They are very hard to find, especially with my arthritis and no arch.  😞

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

In 2006 we bought a forrest green 2001 Jeep Cherokee on a (small) lift kit with (small) mud tires. I loved that car. You have no idea how much I loved that car. Matt is a snob and needed something classier so we traded it for a pretty lemon with double the payment. 

FIL loved our Jeep, too. He used to take it out for fun and make fun of small cars and make faces at them. He drove a coup. Matt still says trading it was the stupidest thing he's ever done.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

DS has an awful track record with cars. 

We know.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

What's the difference between a 12 passenger and a 15 passenger? Do they look the same on the outside? We rode around in 15s when I was in Americorps. I almost died in one! Nice cars though.

Eta: 15Ps are longer. And we had government plates so we could park wherever we wanted.

Edited by Slache
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Junie said:

Twinsies!

We have a 12-passenger van (that was a one-year old fleet vehicle -- no bullet holes) and an Altima.

:wub:  

The van is the most expensive vehicle we've ever purchased.  That was over 10 years ago.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Slache said:

What's the difference between a 12 passenger and a 15 passenger? Do they look the same on the outside? We rode around in 15s when I was in Americorps. I almost died in one! Nice cars though.

Yikes.  15-passengers are a little longer and have one more bench than the 12-passenger.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Slache said:

Eta: 15Ps are longer. And we had government plates so we could park wherever we wanted.

3 seats.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Ds and I are back home, and I'm taking a break before taking him and neighbor kid to CrossFit.  I hope to work out while they're in class.  We went to work for a while, then to Taco Bell for lunch and Children's Place for returns.   Ds just cleaned his room.  Well, straightened up.  He didn't dust or vacuum.  He has to work on school stuff in eight minutes.

• Like 4