Menu

Ignore this thread!

11 hours ago, Servant4Christ said:

Don't shoot! I'm gonna EdPo, but only because I trust you guys and I'm sure most of you have already read these since you have children older than Oldest:

What's a good Civil War historical fiction book that isn't too bloody, graphic, or mature in content? I don't want to traumatize Oldest or give him nightmares.

The Perilous Road, Shades of Gray, Turn Homeward Hannalee, ...or something else?

I already vetoed Across Five April's, Rifles for Watie, and Homer P. Figg. 

My oldest counts Rifles for Watie as a favorite, but he may have been a little older when he read it.  And he's not squeamish.  

8 hours ago, Spudater said:

Maybe a biography of someone on each side?

Great idea!  Servo, Do you have Lincoln:  A Photobiography ?  It's very good.    

• Like 1

Good morning!

Still waiting, Spudz?

How's Baby Link?

Dd21 got word yesterday that her summer nursing job is cancelled.  I think she is holding herself together for the time being while she finishes her last two finals this week and then will deal with it.  Now we can all go to the Grand Canyon this summer, except it's not open and I don't think I have it in me to plan another road trip.  

I need to get laundry put away and email cello teacher about the rest of the month and make a phone call.  

Coffee!

• Sad 2

4 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

Good morning!

Still waiting, Spudz?

How's Baby Link?

Dd21 got word yesterday that her summer nursing job is cancelled.  I think she is holding herself together for the time being while she finishes her last two finals this week and then will deal with it.  Now we can all go to the Grand Canyon this summer, except it's not open and I don't think I have it in me to plan another road trip.  

I need to get laundry put away and email cello teacher about the rest of the month and make a phone call.  

Coffee!

(((DD21)))  I'm so sorry.  😢

• Like 1

Good Morning!!!

COFFEE!!!~D

Day!!!

It’s a delightfully cool spring morning!! Chilly, in fact. Perfect sleeping weather. No trains went through town last night, so I didn’t get woken up, either.

School and work today. I made two phone calls yesterday. Svengo. The IEP went well. I’m on the team, so I have to be there, but I don’t really contribute, for reasons I cannot share in the interest of the student’s privacy.  It is interesting, though. I learn tons. Nothing much else going on. 

Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Morning.  Today is my "busy" day.  Two algebra sessions, workout with older dd, TKD with younger dd.   I see a lot of the science center Tuesdays.  

I don't think I ever mentioned I started drinking bone broth with my tea again and it's doing amazing things for my ankle.   It appears I have ankle osteoarthritis, probably from a very bad sprain a couple years ago.  It was hurting pretty bad every morning when I got up, and whenever I sat for a while, and at random times of day.   I hadn't been drinking bone broth for a while because it had been hard to get and I wasn't trying the IF that it was good for and I didn't feel it worked.  But I decided to try it again with my ankle being so bad.  The difference is AMAZING.  I know this isn't exactly a scientific study but I literally changed nothing else, I"m being very active with dd so putting some strain on it.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Where's Toto? said:

Morning.  Today is my "busy" day.  Two algebra sessions, workout with older dd, TKD with younger dd.   I see a lot of the science center Tuesdays.  

I don't think I ever mentioned I started drinking bone broth with my tea again and it's doing amazing things for my ankle.   It appears I have ankle osteoarthritis, probably from a very bad sprain a couple years ago.  It was hurting pretty bad every morning when I got up, and whenever I sat for a while, and at random times of day.   I hadn't been drinking bone broth for a while because it had been hard to get and I wasn't trying the IF that it was good for and I didn't feel it worked.  But I decided to try it again with my ankle being so bad.  The difference is AMAZING.  I know this isn't exactly a scientific study but I literally changed nothing else, I"m being very active with dd so putting some strain on it.  

That's wonderful!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Servant4Christ said:

I haven't heard of the 40 acres one. I did look at The River Between Us but I think it was guided reading level Y and beyond Oldest's maturity. Haven't considered American Girl books (though I really know nothing about them) just because they are girl books. So far, I've got The Perilous Road picked but am having second thoughts so I might just see about checking it out through the library along with Turn Homeward Hannalee and read them myself first. I wish I could find something that tries to represent both the north and south equally without being too graphic/violent. Oldest is sensitive and also squeamish about blood. 

Re: American Girl/Dear America - I have a friend with 5 boys and they all loved the American Girl history books.  I haven't read them myself, but am assuming they will be historically accurate but not intense.  

We live in a county with a really good library system, so I usually just go looking through the shelves.  It's much harder when you have to pick out books to purchase!  (Abebooks.com is my favorite resource for buying books - a $3 dud is much easier to swallow than a $15 dud.)

• Like 1

Just now, Susan in TN said:

How is FIL?  Does he need special care?

He's asymptomatic. He has a caregiver 3X a week but since MIL can't work they cancelled. MIL is a caregiver but the law won't let a spouse care for a spouse and get paid.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Slache said:

MIL and FIL have the plague.

48 minutes ago, Slache said:

He's asymptomatic. He has a caregiver 3X a week but since MIL can't work they cancelled. MIL is a caregiver but the law won't let a spouse care for a spouse and get paid.

As in Covid??  I suppose they will isolate from SIL and Link?  When did they find out?  Have they already exposed SIL and Link?  Wait, do you believe them?  

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Another Lynn said:

As in Covid??  I suppose they will isolate from SIL and Link?  When did they find out?  Have they already exposed SIL and Link?  Wait, do you believe them?  

Yes, Covid. SIL's work from home setup is at their house so no. Found out this morning because FIL was tested before a procedure. SIL has been exposed because of the work thing, but no one goes to visit Link so he either got it in the womb or doesn't have it.

4 minutes ago, Slache said:

Yes, Covid. SIL's work from home setup is at their house so no. Found out this morning because FIL was tested before a procedure. SIL has been exposed because of the work thing, but no one goes to visit Link so he either got it in the womb or doesn't have it.

2 minutes ago, Slache said:

And you can get it in the womb.

So are they testing SIL and Link now?

Just got word that my dear Aunt Phyllis just passed away.  She was 95.  She was quite a character and frugal and would tear napkins in half "because nobody needs a whole napkin!"  😄  The road trip my family took (about 1984?) from MN to visit her in Pasadena is one of my favorite memories.  The Incredible Flatness that is Nebraska and then the long approach to the Rockies.  We stayed over night in a motel in a little town that I always thought was in Wyoming, but might have been CO - there was a rodeo being held in the town and my parents asked if we wanted to go and I said "no".  !?! What was WRONG with me?  I was an idiot.  We watched "A Thoroughly Modern Millie" in the motel instead.  I'd never been to the mountains or a desert before and was amazed at the heat coming through the soles of my sneakers from the blacktop.  In California I saw (and swam in) the ocean for the first time and we went to Universal Studios and Knotts BerryFarm.  

If you are so inclined, can you pray for my mom and her remaining sister and (3) brothers, who have lost a brother and a sister in the past couple weeks.

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 3
  • Sad 3

Good morning!

The last of the end-of-year gift books should arrive today, so I can write in them and get everything ready to give out tomorrow after dd21's last final. Dd17 has been moaning over the lack of new reading material lately, and hopefully she likes the ones I got her.

Breakfast is ready - Greek yogurt, strawberries, and granola (or cheerios if you have braces and cant eat the crunchy granola).

Coffee!

• Like 2

Morning. I'm alive.

Writing camp cabin is keeping me busy (I don't know how Jean does real camp) but I'm enjoying it. I'm reading a few new books now, having finished my last round over Mother's Day. Also writing a lot. Now I've got to go find a spreadsheet somewhere in the middle of about twenty that somehow ended up with me although they shouldn't be in there.

ETA: Belated Booyah is better than no Booyah at all!

Edited by Critterfixer
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Good Morning!!!!

COFFEE!!!!~D

Day!!!

School and work. We finished our Apologia Astronomy early, so I ordered Beautiful Feet “The History of Science” and also these adorable nature journals one of my families told me about. (This family is amazing, they live in a very urban setting yet their nature studies could make you think they live in the woods. I learn so much from them). So, we have completely changed gears for science and it has been good for us. As much as I adore Apologia, it’s nice to mix things up a bit and try something new. Oh, that was an EdPo. Sorry for the lack of warning. There are smelling salts and a soft blankie in the Safe Place down the hall.

I have 2 meetings today, too. 

((Susan)) I am sorry for your loss.😢

Servie, 27 degrees in the morning is too cold for May. It rarely gets that cold in the morning here in January.

• Like 5

Morning, Happy Wednesday.   Same old same old today.

I ended up not teaching one of my algebra classes yesterday.  He didn't do the homework for the second week in a row and I didn't want to move on until we were sure he could solve problems without my help.  I feel bad but I told him we'd reschedule for once he did the homework.   It's not a lot, they can do however many problems they want, I just want to make sure they can do problems before we move on because everything is building on the previous stuff now. 

• Like 6

I posted in the sea.   Which actually isn't THAT unusual for me.    I'm working on details for when I (hopefully) reopen in September and I'm trying to decide if I need to rework my snow day/sick day policy.  

I run four 8 week sessions per year, with a week off in between each session. That week off is generally when I make up any days I have to close, which has only been snow days.    I also take off the full week for major holidays (I start the week after Labor Day, off for Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years, Presidents Day, Memorial Day, I'm done by Independence Day).   I'm thinking about removing that week off in between and just making up snow days at the end of the year.   Partially because a few times we end up off between sessions, then do one week, then off for holidays and that's weird.  I'd rather continue for a few weeks before a week off.   Issue is not everyone stays for a full year so if they have a snow day, they may not be around for the makeup (but does that matter?).

Right now I don't offer any sick day makeups.  Mostly because if all the classes are full, I don't have a different class they can come to.   But when we go back, I REALLY want to encourage people to not come when sick.  Most don't anyway but I'm going to be very firm on not doing so.  Which makes me feel like I should offer some makeup possibilities.    Any ideas? 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Slache said:

The Thunderbirds just flew over us. They're all over San Antonio and Austin for the next 2 days before they take off for other towns. The whole apartment shook. It's a coronavirus morale thing.

Cool!  There was supposed to be a fly-over of some kind yesterday in the Big City, but we were too far out to see or hear it.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Can I just say that I am really enjoying having my dh home all of the time.  Telework has been such a blessing!  And it seems that it is going to continue for the forseeable future because the powers that be are trying to get him a more powerful laptop so that he will be able to do even more of his work from home.

• Like 5

Wow, everyone is Ignoring This Thread. 

Well, I had two hours worth of Zoom meetings today. They were fine. I didn’t fall asleep or anything.

I am reading a biography of Calvin Coolidge. Very interesting. The man was.... well, not one you would expect to grow up to be president. I’m not far into it, but he hasn’t done much. At all. He wasn’t very successful in much of what he put his hand to.

• Like 3