Menu

Ignore this thread!

Good morning!

The Blue Angels are flying over my county today!!  

I was going to head to the grocery for weekly shopping but I don't think I can make it.  Dd21 is taking her final final right now, and after that will be the giving of end-of-year books and then ukulele singing time and then go to Walgreens and then lunch And then go to the park across the street to see the Blue Angels and then taking dd21 to the university to move out of her dorm.  I was thinking we could be home by dinner, but Now that I'm thinking about it, I don't think we can Drive 2 hours, move and clean in an hour, and drive 2 hours and be back by 6:00.

Coffee!

• Like 1

Morning.  Another day that's just like the day before.    Except it's quieter in the morning because dh is now spending part of the day at his office.   Work finally okayed him going in sometimes.   He has a private office and masks and sometimes he needs to correct processes that are easier to do in person.   Way back that had told him they didn't want him coming in to the office.    Our state is slowly starting to open things up.  I'm hoping since it's being done slowly and carefully that it won't result in much of a surge.

I've started working on plans for the Fall.  I'm going to put out an ad to hire additional teachers and subs, I'm going to update the syllabi and do ones for new classes, develop plans for new classes, etc.  

I'm also working on school plans - history and geography mostly.   Everything else is working fine. 

• Like 3

Morning. I live.

I've been having all sorts of fun today, getting writing cabin stuff updated, preparing for tomorrow's counts, hoping I'm not messing stuff up too badly! And in the middle of yesterday's wildness, the boys come in with the news that there's a really weird fish in our creek. 

It is a really weird fish. He looks like a baby whale shark, all fat, flat, and covered in spots in patterns. I think it's a plecostomus that someone "released into the wild" which kind of makes him ours since he's now in our creek. Obviously, he can't stay there. So I've been emailing Game and Fish to get confirmation on his identity (we do have some similar looking fish in the state) and then tracking down a pet store to take him because I don't even own a goldfish bowl. So once I get word that I can catch him and deal with him myself, we'll all be down there in boots with the nets trying to catch the slippery devil. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

We caught it! Nothing funnier that two boys trying to fish herd in water that goes over the top of boots. Cold water. Game and Fish thought a native species, but when we caught it, it was twice as long as the closest native match (18 cm vs 9 cm tops), hard, armor-plated, and very catfishy in appearance. I do have pictures, but I don't put pictures up on the forum because I don't have something to host them. Anyway, we took him to the pet store, and yeah--he's a Pleco. So they took him and started acclimating him to tank temperature, and hopefully will find a new home prepare to take care of a big fish. He's still got growing to do.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

43 minutes ago, Critterfixer said:

We caught it! Nothing funnier that two boys trying to fish herd in water that goes over the top of boots. Cold water. Game and Fish thought a native species, but when we caught it, it was twice as long as the closest native match (18 cm vs 9 cm tops), hard, armor-plated, and very catfishy in appearance. I do have pictures, but I don't put pictures up on the forum because I don't have something to host them. Anyway, we took him to the pet store, and yeah--he's a Pleco. So they took him and started acclimating him to tank temperature, and hopefully will find a new home prepare to take care of a big fish. He's still got growing to do.

You don't need a hosting service to post pictures anymore.   Just click where it says "Drag files here to attach, or choose files...  and you can select it right off your phone or computer.

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, Servant4Christ said:

I was wondering about the file hosting comment. Must be something from before I came on board. I click 'choose file' and it lets me select and upload a picture from any place that has pictures in my phone. I am not tech savvy and managed this amazing feat. However, I do not post pictures online at all of our family.

You used to have to have a link to a picture online somewhere.  So photobucket or similar places.   I think the last update made it easier.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Critterfixer said:

Have decided that anyone who reads my journal won't be able to tell there was anything like a pandemic happening at the time. It's all lists of what's to be done during the day. I'm so not fun.

That’s more fun than a pandemic, lol. 

eta:  it’s a “where’s the fun?” Booyah!!

Edited by Another Lynn
  • Like 3

22 minutes ago, Servant4Christ said:

Is it strange or wrong of me to put away all the books that I've ordered until time to use them? I'm asking because I recently spoke to my mom on the phone and she says I'm being mean and Oldest should be allowed to read them if he wants. I guess I could let him read them and then reread/discuss them at the time we're in the corresponding unit in History, but wouldn't that sort of ruin the excitement and anticipation of a new book every week or two for an entire school year?

I think "mean" is a harsh word.

3 minutes ago, Spudater said:

No, it’s like making them wait til Christmas to open their presents. 

And, I agree with this.

However, if you have been talking to him about the books, I can understand that he might be disappointed in not getting them right away.  If that is the case, you might want to show him the schedule so that he knows when he will be getting his next book.  You could tell him that it's kind of like a subscription box and you get a new book every 2 (or whatever) weeks.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Servant4Christ said:

Is it strange or wrong of me to put away all the books that I've ordered until time to use them? I'm asking because I recently spoke to my mom on the phone and she says I'm being mean and Oldest should be allowed to read them if he wants. I guess I could let him read them and then reread/discuss them at the time we're in the corresponding unit in History, but wouldn't that sort of ruin the excitement and anticipation of a new book every week or two for an entire school year?

3 hours ago, Spudater said:

No, it’s like making them wait til Christmas to open their presents. 

I agree with Spuds!

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

I’ve never been to Ohio, but I can find it on a map. Most of the time.

I hated it. Every time I tell someone I lived there that is from Ohio they get excited and ask where and when I tell them they're like "Oh" in a majorly disappointed voice. I guess that means I lived in the wrong part. :laugh:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Slache said:

I hated it. Every time I tell someone I lived there that is from Ohio they get excited and ask where and when I tell them they're like "Oh" in a majorly disappointed voice. I guess that means I lived in the wrong part. :laugh:

Where did you live?

• Like 1

I can’t sleep.

Next week is audit week.  The big audit.  I usually don’t care but ugh for some reason my mind won’t shut off.  I told my boss I think I may have caught the virus, but he wasn’t buying it.  Then he said he rejected my resignation and I can’t quit.  I told him he was mean and I wasn’t going to play with him anymore.

Also have to plan school for next year.  Can you believe DS has decided against PS? Talk about bad timing.  Interest in PS and coronavirus shuts down schools two weeks later.  He’s all - nah, never mind!  

My mother just rescheduled her wedding.  For my birthday weekend.  I might actually take vacation.  If I still have a job after this audit 😬

Edited by ikslo
  • Like 2
  • Sad 4