Menu
Jump to content

What's with the ads?

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, ikslo said:

I had my last pair for 10 years.   I loved them, but then they got old, and I'm picky.  So I kept looking.  And looking.  And looking.

Explain to me why sneaker manufacturers think women want sneakers colored like Easter eggs.  I don't get it.

I finally settled.  And I'm upset.  They don't make sneakers like they used to.  Now they make them so they fall apart in 6 months so you HAVE to buy new ones.  It's an evil conspiracy wrapped in capitalism.    

I'm still trying to figure out why they think women want plaid flannel in pastel colors. I always have to buy men's shirts. First, for the colors. And secondly because I have very broad shoulders and arms that aren't like sticks. 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Critterfixer said:

I'm still trying to figure out why they think women want plaid flannel in pastel colors. I always have to buy men's shirts. First, for the colors. And secondly because I have very broad shoulders and arms that aren't like sticks. 

Those thin sleeves! If you can even get your arm in the sleeve, you can't bend it!

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, ikslo said:

I hate my VW Jetta, bought new.  It is this weird issue where it never feels like it is correctly aligned in the lane.  If I think I'm centered, I'm actually too far over to one side.  I have to constantly correct myself.  After a few years you'd think I would have gotten used to it.  Nope.  Every time I drive it I think the same thing.  I hate you, car!  I drive rentals all the time, and they are all perfectly aligned.  I hate my car, did I mention that?

I loved my Honda Civic, bought new.  200K + miles.   I miss that car.  I also miss the 2-door Civic bought used that an ex smashed up.  May it RIP.

 Big Honda fan here. 200+ for all of ours, too (purchased slightly used, very low mileage).  If they’d include a soundproof glass wall directly behind the front seats of the odyssey, it would be a perfect vehicle. Alas, they do not. 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ds 5 is hanging over my shoulder saying “ mommy can you pwease wite Batman movie? mommy can you pwease wite Batman movie?mommy can you pwease wite Batman movie? mommy can you pwease wite Batman movie? What are you witing, mommy??  mommy can you pwease wite Boy Legos? mommy can you pwease wite Boy Legos? Are you ever gonna pwess the button for Boy Legos? WHAT are you doin’?  Pweeeeeeze mommy. I beg you.”  

 

Sigh.  

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First Matt lost his job, then he was too sick to work immediately after getting here, then his next job fell through, then the A/C broke costing us $700 in additional electrical costs, then I lost my job, then the plumbing broke keeping me up all night for 2 months, then the car broke down. Are we done? I think we're done.

  • Thanks 3
  • Sad 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I came "this close" (imagine my hands just a few inches apart) from t-boning a stupid driver who pulled right out in front of my car going through an intersection when I had the green light.  I had my foot jammed on the break and my hand on the horn and she didn't even blink as she just kept going.  Even with my foot jammed as hard as it would go on the brake, I came withing inches of hitting her. 

  • Sad 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We've never bought a new car, though we considered it when we bought our most recent van--, used vehicles that seat 9+ are relatively scarce.

This van can seat 15 but we only have 11 seats installed. I love love love the high roof, do not love the long wheel base.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

I came "this close" (imagine my hands just a few inches apart) from t-boning a stupid driver who pulled right out in front of my car going through an intersection when I had the green light.  I had my foot jammed on the break and my hand on the horn and she didn't even blink as she just kept going.  Even with my foot jammed as hard as it would go on the brake, I came withing inches of hitting her. 

Scary! I'm glad you are OK.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Slache said:

First Matt lost his job, then he was too sick to work immediately after getting here, then his next job fell through, then the A/C broke costing us $700 in additional electrical costs, then I lost my job, then the plumbing broke keeping me up all night for 2 months, then the car broke down. Are we done? I think we're done.

Yes. All done with that. Good things only, now.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm apparently not allowed to react to anything else today. Somebody should tell my body this, because I've broken out in blisters on my fingers again. So much fun.

Edited by Critterfixer
  • Sad 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, maize said:

We've never bought a new car, though we considered it when we bought our most recent van--, used vehicles that seat 9+ are relatively scarce.

This van can seat 15 but we only have 11 seats installed. I love love love the high roof, do not love the long wheel base.

Yes, I wanted a real van for that reason, but we went mini for gas mileage.

17 minutes ago, Critterfixer said:

Yes. All done with that. Good things only, now.

Oh good. I'm glad.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

WE CAN START OUR CAR WITH ALEXA!

We have the base model and we can start the heater or AC from the kitchen. What on earth do expensive cars do?

  • Thanks 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/24/2019 at 4:40 PM, Slache said:

Ok. I was told to keep quiet but apparently no one else could. SIL is pregnant.

I didn't tell anyone!

 

12 hours ago, Where's Toto? said:

I've been doing some training walks with dd getting ready for my virtual 5k.   

Which one are you doing?

 

6 hours ago, ikslo said:

I buy Asics, and refuse to buy online.  So by the time I drag myself to the stores all the black ones are sold out and all that is left are endless rows of easter egg-colored sneakers.

I also refuse to buy that new style of foam sneaker, where after 2 months they are as flat as a pancake.  Or that new flimsy fabric that my big toes pop right through.  Like I said, I'm picky.

Same.

 

4 hours ago, Slache said:

In 2006 we bought a forrest green 2001 Jeep Cherokee on a (small) lift kit with (small) mud tires. I loved that car. You have no idea how much I loved that car. Matt is a snob and needed something classier so we traded it for a pretty lemon with double the payment. 

FIL loved our Jeep, too. He used to take it out for fun and make fun of small cars and make faces at them. He drove a coup. Matt still says trading it was the stupidest thing he's ever done.

Gymnast cried when dh's Jeep Grand Cherokee was towed off for the last time.

 

1 hour ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

I came "this close" (imagine my hands just a few inches apart) from t-boning a stupid driver who pulled right out in front of my car going through an intersection when I had the green light.  I had my foot jammed on the break and my hand on the horn and she didn't even blink as she just kept going.  Even with my foot jammed as hard as it would go on the brake, I came withing inches of hitting her. 

This almost happened to us years ago. But, Dancer and I were about to cross the street. The light was obviously red, the Walk sign was on, and we started. I didn't even see the van, but divine intervention had me yank Dancer back before this van sped by, running their light, and also almost crashing into the two cars that were starting across. The loose part of my sleeve brushed the side of the van, that's how close it was. If not for God, Dancer would be dead today.

 

So, I've got the old blue car towed. I rented a storage room yesterday and started putting teacher materials (that had been in the blue car) in it. I can't work in the room again until Monday, when everyone is gone, so I'm trying to strategize what to do. Oh, I've also made 2-3 trips to the second hand stores and dropped things off, as well thrown 2 bags of garbage. Alone. In the rain. Sike, there's no rain...

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Renai said:

I didn't tell anyone!

It went like this:

SIL: Let's announce the pregnancy at your birthday party.
BIL: What birthday party?
It was supposed to be a surprise party.

MIL: *hints at something BIL doesn't know*
BIL: I already know about the surprise party.
MIL: How did you know?
BIL: SIL let it slip when we were discussing the pregnancy announcement.
MIL: What?

I don't think a sitcom writer could have done better! In their defense they both work 2 jobs and are tired all of the time. Gotta pay for that nice wedding!

  • Like 1
  • Haha 11

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

SIL told Matt and I almost texted a congratulations to MIL assuming she told her first but she didn't. Oops. She tried to have a big party and pretend it was about him but alas, now everyone just knows.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, ikslo said:

My current sneakers are mostly dark gray with some pink piping.  Like I said, I settled.  It was the best of my bad options.

Oh, and in every place I live size 9 1/2 seems to be the first to sell out, so again, stuck with crappy colors.

I wear a 9 1/2 and yep, it seems to sell out really quick.

My current sneakers are grey with bright pink markings.  I've had some really funky wild colors because I always buy previous models that are on clearance since they're so expensive (Brooks). 

6 hours ago, Slache said:

I did not know this was a thing! Mine didn't grow. Other parts did...

I was an 8 1/2 before kids, now I'm a 9 1/2.  

4 hours ago, Critterfixer said:

I'm still trying to figure out why they think women want plaid flannel in pastel colors. I always have to buy men's shirts. First, for the colors. And secondly because I have very broad shoulders and arms that aren't like sticks. 

I want something between the pastel colors they have for women and the ugly browns they have for men.  I could handle a nice blue or a green other than olive.   I have both men's and women's flannels.   

2 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

I came "this close" (imagine my hands just a few inches apart) from t-boning a stupid driver who pulled right out in front of my car going through an intersection when I had the green light.  I had my foot jammed on the break and my hand on the horn and she didn't even blink as she just kept going.  Even with my foot jammed as hard as it would go on the brake, I came withing inches of hitting her. 

Same exact thing happened to me today but without the light.   They came out of a side street without even slowing down, right in front of me.    No reaction to me laying on the horn.

1 hour ago, Renai said:

Which one are you doing?

The Great Pumpkin Run.  

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, myblessings4 said:

We just watched the new Aladdin.  It was way better than I thought it would be!

I LOVED Aladdin. Cinderella was absolutely my favorite though. I loved Aladdin and the Genie and the story. I did not care for Jasmine at all. She was awful.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, ikslo said:

I had my last pair for 10 years.   I loved them, but then they got old, and I'm picky.  So I kept looking.  And looking.  And looking.

Explain to me why sneaker manufacturers think women want sneakers colored like Easter eggs.  I don't get it.

I finally settled.  And I'm upset.  They don't make sneakers like they used to.  Now they make them so they fall apart in 6 months so you HAVE to buy new ones.  It's an evil conspiracy wrapped in capitalism.    

I mainly wear sandals-- good sandals. I've had Merals (can't spell it), Clark's (current pair), and 2 pairs of MBT's. I made those MBT's last for over 5 years before they literally cracked in half. I hate sneakers. My feet here in the heat sweat too much. I also really hate closed toe heels. I have 3 pairs of GAP heels that I bought last year deeply, deeply on sale but they still hurt my feet after 5 minutes. I have a wide toe box and a narrow heel so buying closed toe/heel shoes is worse than swimsuit shopping.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Renai said:

So, I've got the old blue car towed. I rented a storage room yesterday and started putting teacher materials (that had been in the blue car) in it. I can't work in the room again until Monday, when everyone is gone, so I'm trying to strategize what to do. Oh, I've also made 2-3 trips to the second hand stores and dropped things off, as well thrown 2 bags of garbage. Alone. In the rain. Sike, there's no rain...

GO Renai!!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I Awana-Ed. I am exhaustified.  

I want chips and salsa. Good chips. Thin and crispy. And some really good pico de gallo. And I’d really like to be eating it out on a patio somewhere on a warm evening with twinkle lights in the trees.  Is that really too much to Ask??

  • Like 6
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My dad always bought my mom a new car. He wanted my mom to always have a reliable car. He bought himself the cheapest thing on the lot. As in I was there when he smacked the sales person's desk and said "Show me the cheapest thing on the lot with AC." He bought a Ford Festiva 2 door manual with no power steering. Or he bought used.

We bought our Ford Explorer new last year because I didn't want leather, black interior, dog/cat/human hair, smoke smell, and other nasty going on; and I wanted a very specific set of options that I could not find used. We also keep our cars until they die so it makes sense for us to buy new.

Honestly, I kinda wish we had bought a Honda Odyssey but Scotsman was dead set against it once he saw that the battery is buried under an engine vent so you have to take it in or risk breaking the expenisve piece of plastic to replace the battery yourself. As we have had several instances of batteries dying in less than ideal spots, he wanted it easily accessible. 

Edited by Paradox5
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

I Awana-Ed. I am exhaustified.  

I want chips and salsa. Good chips. Thin and crispy. And some really good pico de gallo. And I’d really like to be eating it out on a patio somewhere on a warm evening with twinkle lights in the trees.  Is that really too much to Ask??

I want guacamole. I have to make my own cause I am allergic to onions and hate jalapeños. And a nice strawberry lemonade.

Edited by Paradox5
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Paradox5 said:

I want guacamole. I have to make my own cause I am allergic to onions and hate jalapeños. And a nice strawberry lemonade.

Oh yeah, strawberry lemonade. With little chunks of strawberry.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

Oh yeah, strawberry lemonade. With little chunks of strawberry.

Over crushed ice in a fancy glass with free refills!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Paradox5 said:

Over crushed ice in a fancy glass with free refills!

I’m there, sister!!!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok, so, we found out a very important piece of information. Our cat Misty hides behind the washer when it’s time to put the cats out at night. And we think we have put her out, but we really haven’t and then she roams free all over the house at night. But we found her out and now DS is trying to get her out.😼

  • Like 6
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I ordered new sneakers.    I don't want my feet to get worse and since I'm now walking in addition to standing all day long I figured I should.   

I read an article about the best sneakers for PF and they did have a set of insoles they recommended.  But they are thick enough that your shoes need to be a little on the bigger side.  My current shoes fit perfectly so I was thinking of buying less expensive sneakers and the insoles.  But having to buy both would bring the price up to the price of some of the less expensive sneakers anyway, so I just ordered sneakers.

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good morning!  It's Friday Eve!

Where's mom?

I had orchestra rehearsal dreams last night.  And between rehearsals I ran into an old clarinetist friend of mine, except he was playing the oboe.  And then I tried to make a pot of coffee and managed to flood the area with 4 inches of water.

Coincidentally, I don't have a rehearsal tonight so we are going to Shakespeare in the Park.  The Tempest.  The older two Youngers will be at tutorial tutorial today and ds14 has a cello lesson after that.  I can't believe it was just last week that the van broke down out there.

Coffee!

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good morning!  It's Friday Eve!!  I have to work extra today, plus some from home.  Kids will do school.  I managed to find enough leftovers for their lunch, so I made tuna salad for mine.   Carnitas for supper, since dh was the only one who ate it last night.  I really need to make a grocery order!  

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Susan in TN said:

Those thin sleeves! If you can even get your arm in the sleeve, you can't bend it!

I know!  The sleeve is how I rule.out most sweaters and stuff. When I'm in a store, I walk up to a rack of hanging clothing and stick my arm in the sleeve. If it hugs my arm, I don't even try the thing on.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good Morning!!!!!

COFFEE!!!!~D

Friday Eve!!!

School is the only thing on the docket for today. Well, and work, of course, but work to be done at home.  No family visits or anything.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Morning! Trying to get through more revisions today. Chores are done, and I have art later this morning. Can I edit twenty pages before then? Possibly. It's looking like I might possibly be doing another extensive rewrite on some chapters rather than polish, and so I want to get these pages to my agent so she can review them and see if that's going to be a necessary evil--reinventing a whole new beginning.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Weekend forecast. 😐

image.png.b39ecb5bf41bf44b584c0d8db1e55e71.png

 

Well, part of the image, anyway. I cannot Internet.

 

Edited by JoJosMom
  • Like 4
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, KrissiK said:

Ok, so, we found out a very important piece of information. Our cat Misty hides behind the washer when it’s time to put the cats out at night. And we think we have put her out, but we really haven’t and then she roams free all over the house at night. But we found her out and now DS is trying to get her out.😼

 

Poor kitty!

6 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

The poltergeist tv has come on blaring twice now- waking me up and making my heart pound.   If it does it again I just might toss it out the window. 

 

But, Jean! Whatever shall the ghosts watch whilst you are sleeping?!?

  • Like 2
  • Haha 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, JoJosMom said:

Weekend forecast. 😐

image.png.b39ecb5bf41bf44b584c0d8db1e55e71.png

 

Well, part of the image, anyway. I cannot Internet.

 

It’s supposed to be 96 degrees here today.  Can there be such thing as a Happy Medium?? (I guess there is in Madeleine L’Engle books😂)

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rant: Can I just say how nuts it makes me that there are people making money as "homeschool counselors" who have never even graduated one from college???🤬

In fact, it makes me so nuts that I become incoherent. That should be "who have never even graduated one from HIGH SCHOOL."

🙄

Edited by JoJosMom
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, JoJosMom said:

Rant: Can I just say how nuts it makes me that there are people making money as "homeschool counselors" who have never even graduated one from college???🤬

In fact, it makes me so nuts that I become incoherent. That should be "who have never even graduated one from HIGH SCHOOL."

🙄

I suppose that depends on what they are counseling?  If they are counseling how to get kids into college and they haven't done it, then I see your point (though the hows remain the same whether you've done it or not).  But if they are counseling how to get through grade school subjects, then does it really matter? 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Jean in Newcastle said:

I suppose that depends on what they are counseling?  If they are counseling how to get kids into college and they haven't done it, then I see your point (though the hows remain the same whether you've done it or not).  But if they are counseling how to get through grade school subjects, then does it really matter? 

 

It's this.

  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Friday eve and The Girl is giving me fits about not doing school. Even the promise of going shopping after is not swaying her. Granted she is playing with Captain.

Edited by Paradox5
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Paradox5 said:

Friday eve and The Girl is giving me fits about not doing school. Even the promise of going shopping after is not swaying her.

 

Duct tape.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Last night was a rough one even without the addition of the tv poltergeist.  But this morning is the one where I don't need to meet with dd for school so I get a bit of a much needed reprieve. 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Last night was a rough one even without the addition of the tv poltergeist.  But this morning is the one where I don't need to meet with dd for school so I get a bit of a much needed reprieve. 

 

Duct tape.

(It appears that some might be forgetting that the answer to any question is always duct tape. Or bazooka. 😈)

  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...