Menu

Ignore this thread!

27 minutes ago, Servant4Christ said:

I've been busy researching books with my newfound knowledge about guided reading levels helping me. It's been so much easier to sift through! Now, if only I could find books for those last couple of pesky time periods that are still blank on my spreadsheet. It would help if a couple of books I'm interested in had some sort of online sample for me to look at, but noooo. Of course not.

Which time periods.....  modern?  And remind me, he's 10? or older?

• Like 1

I think I am going to fall asleep out here. I’m outside on the patio with my laptop, trying to get some work done, but it is so warm and wonderful out here, I just want to take a nap. Hopefully nibbling on cherry tomatoes and drinking Crystal Light will keep me awake.

• Like 1

No one has mentioned Apologia yet for biology.  One of mine, actually two of mine, completed it with Challenge/Classical Conversations - which made it easy on me, lol.  Most people love it or hate it, but it's pretty straightforward / user friendly to implement at home and I'd be surprised if there weren't lab kits out there somewhere.    

• Like 1

I'm kinda glad my sister and her family ended up stuck at my parents' house; aside from the fact that I think they are way better off there than returning to China (which won't let them in at this point anyway) it means my parents aren't just home alone through this. My mom in particular is pretty social and would probably go crazy if she were isolated at home with just my dad 😄

• Like 5

10 hours ago, myblessings4 said:

Is this for me?  If so, thank you.  I have been looking at all the choices listed today, and this is the one I am more in favor of, so far, mostly because they DO have the kits.

Yes. Also, with apologia we sometimes allowed open book tests depending on the student and the amount of memorization needed. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Another Lynn said:

Good morning!  I slept in a wee bit so I made fresh coffee. I stayed up late finishing a book last night. North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell. 

This book is on my want-to-read list.  I'm guessing you enjoyed it since you stayed up late to finish it?

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Servant4Christ said:

We're planning to use Notgrass AtB (as requested by Oldest) next year, but only the first book because we're stretching it out to 2 years. I'm planning on us reading all of the Notgrass literature books that go with the first book with the exception of Across Five Aprils. I've been researching and adding more because I want a literature book to go with every unit, but I'm still searching for books to go with units 8 and 9 which cover 1800-1820s.

Oldest is 9, but for all his current hatred toward math and writing, his reading and comprehension amaze me.

Hmmmm. 1800 - 1820s....  there’s a Landmark book called Pirate Lafitte and the Battle of New Orleans - out of print. Probably a quick read for him. 

If you don’t find fiction you like maybe consider a biography - John Quincy Adams, or other....

Good morning!

Junie, if you can get even one plate to spin, you are way ahead!

Yesterday was a Very Bad Day.  The kind that I blame on menopausal hormones because there doesn't seem to be any other reasonable explanation.  I put myself in Time Out for most of the day.  I guess Some Days are like that, even in Australia.

My sweet Uncle Don died yesterday afternoon.  He was 88 and had been failing in health for a while.  I saw him rarely but maybe because I was the most awkward person in the family, he always went out of his way to say something nice to me.

Last night we got to eat a salad made of baby greens from the Back Deck garden - spinach, kale, arugula, romaine, and butter lettuce.  And the bbq chicken taco sauce was made with cilantro from the garden, which I have somehow managed to not kill yet.

Coffee!

• Like 2
  • Sad 4

2 minutes ago, Another Lynn said:

Yes. Also, with apologia we sometimes allowed open book tests depending on the student and the amount of memorization needed. 

We do the same.

8th grade -- General Science -- open book and open notes

9th grade -- Physical Science -- open book, open notes (preferred), depending on the student

10th grade -- Biology -- open notes

11th grade -- Chemistry -- open notes, or without aids (preferred), depending on the student

While this sequence doesn't necessarily teach science extremely well, it does teach note-taking skills.

We are not a rigorous homeschool and none of my current (or former) high schoolers are going into STEM fields.

• Like 2

Good Morning!!!!!

COFFEE!!!!~D

Day!!!?

my day has started out with unwanted noises...... a loud, horrible train going through our small town in the middle of the night. And then a couple of cats come tearing through our yard hissing and fighting at 5:30am, and now the loud boom-booms of whatever it is the farmers are using to keep the birds out of their orchards. It sounds like we are in Beirut and it has been so for a month now. The only welcome noise in the midst of all that was a mourning dove cooing while I lay in bed with an extreme case of the “I Don’t Wannas”.

School and work today. The local school board met last night to discuss opening schools and my two older kids’ private school usually sticks close to their scheduling decisions. They originally said schools would open May 4, but I am not holding out hope.this whole thing is ridiculous. Our hospitals are empty. Medical personnel are being laid off because elective surgeries are cancelled. My cousin, a physical therapist is laid off because of that.

• Sad 2

2 hours ago, Servant4Christ said:

I'm actually looking at 2 landmark books that I saw on Beautiful Feet's website but can't find samples or reading levels on them. The Vikings for pre 1600 and The Wright Brothers for 1890s-1910. I'm going to check to see if our local library has them to preview along with a couple others on my list.

I have  The Wright Brothers if you want me to take pictures of a few pages to send to you.  I don't have The Vikings.  (Also, Sam Houston:  Tallest Texan is another Landmark we enjoyed.)

20 minutes ago, Servant4Christ said:

I can't seem to find the TIME to read. I'm considering posting my tentative AtB booklist on my thread in the sea just to get feedback on some of the titles because I don't have time to read them all myself to check for age/faith appropriate content.

I don't remember having much time to read when my kids were close in age to yours.  If that makes you feel any better.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Servant4Christ said:

I'm actually looking at 2 landmark books that I saw on Beautiful Feet's website but can't find samples or reading levels on them. The Vikings for pre 1600 and The Wright Brothers for 1890s-1910. I'm going to check to see if our local library has them to preview along with a couple others on my list.

4 minutes ago, Another Lynn said:

I have  The Wright Brothers if you want me to take pictures of a few pages to send to you.  I don't have The Vikings.  (Also, Sam Houston:  Tallest Texan is another Landmark we enjoyed.)

Actually, this is easier than uploading pictures to the forum:  https://www.christianbook.com/landmark-books-the-wright-brothers/quentin-reynolds/9780394847009/pd/47008  Chrisitanbook.com has a sample!  Also, I have loved other books we've read by Quentin Reynolds, fwiw.  

4 hours ago, Another Lynn said:

Yes, but I should have stretched it out since I have a hard time finding books I like to read. 

Me, too. I did finish the bio of George HW Bush last night. The beginning and very end were really good, but the middle, the part that focused on his presidency and policies was boring to me. I didn’t{5 read too closely that part.  I did enjoy the part about his post-presidency days and just what he represented in terms of an era in the United States. I got really teary  eyed at that because those days are gone.

• Like 1

I ordered a book based on a short piece I read by the author. I had never heard of her before, but she had written a short autobiographical piece and I was really gripped by her writing. So I went on Amazon and ordered one of her novels.

Booya/h. It’s a Book-finders Booya/h.

Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Went to the doctor. They're running tests for my breathing. I saw the doctor almost 90 minutes after getting there and was still out of breath when I was seen. I almost threw up too. Great visit.

Isaac is good. Heartbeat is 120 but he was stubborn about getting it done. 

I asked a bit about getting my tubes tied because I'm concerned about either getting pregnant in 20 years or an ectopic but since it's a Catholic hospital they can't do a tubalectomy and instead remove the entire tube calling it cancer prevention. So I guess no surprise baby in 20 years.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

7 hours ago, KrissiK said:

((Susan)). I’m sorry for your loss. I hope today is a better day.

Thanks, Everyone.  💕

Today has been a much better day despite my terrible night os sleep.  I met with my health coach and I've lost more weight but moved the wrong direction in muscle, water, and bodyfat percentage.  I dont worry too much about that since I know I could step on the scale 20 minutes later and get a different reading.  I know I haven't lost muscle, at any rate.  Went to the bank and Kroger.  Ordered new mattresses for the Two Youngest's bunkbeds, and practiced ukulele sing-along songs with the kids before story.

Dinner tonight is ravioli with vegetable alfredo sauce.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Slache said:

Went to the doctor. They're running tests for my breathing. I saw the doctor almost 90 minutes after getting there and was still out of breath when I was seen. I almost threw up too. Great visit.

Isaac is good. Heartbeat is 120 but he was stubborn about getting it done. 

I asked a bit about getting my tubes tied because I'm concerned about either getting pregnant in 20 years or an ectopic but since it's a Catholic hospital they can't do a tubalectomy and instead remove the entire tube calling it cancer prevention. So I guess no surprise baby in 20 years.

My sad face is for out of breath and nearly throwing up, not the tube removal. Are you feeling better now?  What did dr say about being that much out of breath?

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Another Lynn said:

I don't remember having much time to read when my kids were close in age to yours.  If that makes you feel any better.  

Yeah I only do audiobooks, cause I can listen to those while folding laundry and washing dishes and weeding the garden.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Another Lynn said:

My sad face is for out of breath and nearly throwing up, not the tube removal. Are you feeling better now?  What did dr say about being that much out of breath?

I was, but then I made a phone call and now I'm out of breath again. Nothing. My oxygen levels are fine.

• Like 1

Good Morning!

Happy Thursday!

A lot of zooming here today.

I went grocery shopping yesterday and was able to find most things on my list.  Meat is still not plentiful, but I was able to get some staples (eggs, rice, pasta) that I had not been able to get a few weeks ago.  No toilet paper, paper towels, clorox wipes, soap, or bathroom cleaner.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

My last post is getting sad faces but I was actually thrilled with the things that I got.  :)

A box of five dozen eggs, 15 pounds of rice, about 10 boxes of pasta.  My cart was overflowing (literally) by the time I got to check-out.

• Like 5

Good morning!

Junie, your lack of meat is puzzling to me - there is always plenty here!  I am annoyed by the lack of frozen vegetables in my stores.  I went to Kroger yesterday and the sweet grocery bagger put the pineapple on top of the bread.  🙄  I think he was new. 😀

I should put away some laundry and do other useful things and exercise.  

Coffee!

• Like 2

Good Morning from Beirut!! If any of you are eating fresh cherries from California, you’d better savor every bite. We all went through quite a bit to get them to you.

COFFEE!!!~D

Work and school today. Found out yesterday that the school board met and are canceling school for the rest of the year. My older kids’ school continues to go week by week. And they continue to collect tuition. For us, it’s not a hardship because both DH and I have our jobs, for which we are very thankful. But, the quality of education is not up to snuff. I am not complaining, because I understand the situation. But DS is not doing well at all with this format and if they do not open up again in the fall, we will be withdrawing both kids. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

11 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

Good morning!

Junie, your lack of meat is puzzling to me - there is always plenty here!  I am annoyed by the lack of frozen vegetables in my stores.  I went to Kroger yesterday and the sweet grocery bagger put the pineapple on top of the bread.  🙄  I think he was new. 😀

I should put away some laundry and do other useful things and exercise.  

Coffee!

Nope, it's been a problem since the beginning.

I bought a package of stew meat (enough for one meal) and a package of chicken breasts (enough for two meals).  There were only about 4 or 5 of each of these in the case.

I bought two large boxes of pre-formed hamburgers (which I don't usually buy).  It will be enough for 8 meals.  There were a lot of hamburgers available.  And I bought some packages of Italian sausage which will stretch some of our pasta meals.

Oh, and I bought some frozen salmon (enough for 3 meals).  There seemed to be plenty of this, too.  I don't think that a lot of people here eat salmon.  We usually have it once or twice a months, but we've been eating it more because of its availability.  (I usually make rice with it, so finding rice this time was very helpful.)

I just remembered that I also bought some ham steaks.  We will be eating this more frequently, too, because it takes up such a small amount of space in the freezer.  And I found some hot dogs which will make some of the dc very happy.  Especially if I serve them with mac and cheese.  :)

So, I guess I've been able to get enough meat; it's just not the meat I would have chosen if the selection were better.

• Like 2

Morning. I'm pushing to finish a revision today. I only have 7,000 words left to work through, and then I will have revised 150,000 words this month. I'm calling that good. Other than that, I'm surviving. Next week I'm taking my mandatory break from writing for a week to get the house cleaned, school planning for summer done, and I also have a flowerbed that needs to be cleaned out and filled with mostly edible plants because there are pumpkins and gourds all over the garden this year. I have a place picked for my tomatoes and peppers, but every time I pick a spot, a boy claims it for his overflow vegetables. My yard is going to look like a produce market.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1