Menu

Ignore this thread!

1 hour ago, Servant4Christ said:

I placed my order directly through R&S today. Total cost after discount and shipping is just under $275. The exact same order through Milestones after discount and shipping is just over $323.

It's a price comparison Booya(h)!

Well played!

• Like 1

I ordered toys today. My kids are going crazy stuck at home, especially the five year old who I am trying to keep from playing with her best friend next door.

I wish I could let them play freely, but the friend is still in daycare some days and her parents both work at jobs that take them in and out of people's houses all day; that's more potential exposure than I am comfortable with given that my dh has multiple conditions that make him high risk.

Dd16 has caught something, fever and sore throat. I don't think it is covid but took her to the drive-through testing anyway today because our state has plenty of testing capacity and the governor has been begging anyone with symptoms to get tested--and sore throat and fever are both on the symptom list.

Edited by maize
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

21 minutes ago, Spudater said:

The placket extends down the back bodice to the top several inches of skirt but when I was cutting out the pattern it instructed me to leave this weird sort of extra rectangular length that I think is supposed to be sort of extra fabric t open up between the layers?  But in the pictures later on it doesn’t look connected at all so I don’t know why they had me cut it out to be attached. All of a sudden they are talking about the facings but they didn’t have me buy or cut out interfacing. And the way it looks like the bodice attaches to the skirt the placket should extend half an inch or so beyond on top but they never had me hem the bodice so if Idon’t add that step in it would be an unfinished edge which can’t be right. Kind of considering tweaking the pattern which is insane considering my beginner status. 

Facing doesn’t mean interfacing. It is usually fabric on the inside that gives an extra layer of support, generally around the neckline or armholes of it is sleeveless. Is this what it looks like is going on? With a facing, you don’t hem the opening and usually top stitch to hold it in place.

I think I know what is going on here, but I am really having trouble visualizing it and so can’t really give you direction,

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Spudater said:

I am getting the mask of pregnancy melasma. It’s light enough that dh and the kids haven’t noticed it. I don’t look Star Trek yet. 

I always got that, seems so random as a way for the body to react to pregnancy.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, myblessings4 said:

Would it be a really big, bad deal if for ds13 for the rest of this spring and summer we just do math and reading?  He needs to catch up in math so badly (his choice, not mine) so that's what I'm considering.  Our schedule so completely changed this spring that we aren't even using the same curriculum we started with, plus he was going to private school for history and science, but we didn't leave him in when they went online.  

I'm thinking mostly math with some science and history reading each day.  I might have him finish his explode the code book or something, but most of each day math.  Whatcha think?

This sounds like a good plan.

• Like 3

Good morning!

Tutorial has finished for the semester, so today will have much less zoom scrambling than the usual Thursday.  Ds15 has an online economics test to take and a cello lesson later, but that's it.  The girls are racing to see who can finish their math first and have devised prizes for themselves.  Dd13 fell from her rip-stick and hurt her arm last night and we debated taking her for X-rays, but decided to wait.  We'll see how things go with violin practice this morning. 

I am supposed to go somewhere to get some blood-test labs done but have no idea where I should go.  I need to get some laundry done.

Coffee!

• Like 2

Good Morning!,!!

COFFEE!!!!~D

Day!!

I opened the door to let in the cats and whoosh....... orange blossom scent. I love spring.  Did y’all know that they put huge nets over all the orange trees when they are blooming to keep the bees out, so we can have seedless oranges? It’s a fact.

School and work today.

• Like 5

49 minutes ago, myblessings4 said:

Would it be a really big, bad deal if for ds13 for the rest of this spring and summer we just do math and reading?  He needs to catch up in math so badly (his choice, not mine) so that's what I'm considering.  Our schedule so completely changed this spring that we aren't even using the same curriculum we started with, plus he was going to private school for history and science, but we didn't leave him in when they went online.  

I'm thinking mostly math with some science and history reading each day.  I might have him finish his explode the code book or something, but most of each day math.  Whatcha think?

I think that is an excellent plan.

48 minutes ago, myblessings4 said:

I think that's very wise.  He's had a sufficiency in the other subjects.  You're using the time to work on what he needs most.  I would just encourage you to go with high interest books to build fluency and enjoyment.  What sparks his interest?  Mythology?  Biography?  Weapons and wars?  Scientific discoveries?  How things work?  Don't worry about covering a specific topic, just aim for engagement.  

20 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

Good morning!

Tutorial has finished for the semester, so today will have much less zoom scrambling than the usual Thursday.  Ds15 has an online economics test to take and a cello lesson later, but that's it.  The girls are racing to see who can finish their math first and have devised prizes for themselves.  Dd13 fell from her rip-stick and hurt her arm last night and we debated taking her for X-rays, but decided to wait.  We'll see how things go with violin practice this morning. 

I am supposed to go somewhere to get some blood-test labs done but have no idea where I should go.  I need to get some laundry done.

Coffee!

YAY!!!!  So, this prompted me to check my calendar and see when our zoom classes finish and we have 3 more weeks.  I know that's not short, but it does feel like a bit of light is starting to show at the end of the tunnel.  

• Like 2

Morning. I need to do some school planning this weekend, but don't have a lot of mental energy for that kind of thing at the moment. But this weekend, yeah. Today is the push to get all my materials put together for submission to a contest this weekend, and because I don't know if I will get the people I want, I have two different projects. I'll submit one or the other depending. And then forget about it and work on something else. 

I need to paint today. I'm feeling the need to make some character art and a bookmark for the second project. I want a really loose watercolor style for it with a lot of transparency because it's full of ghosts.

Other than that, it's just another day in quarantine. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, myblessings4 said:

I would do it.  That's basically what I do when I need to change things up.   Keep math and reading going while I figure out the rest.   Mine are 14/9th grade and 12/7th grade and that has always worked fine for us.

• Like 2

Good Morning.   I slept in a little bit today and woke up to dh making a nice breakfast.  He had already been to the store and was able to get some version of most things except one of ds's special foods.  We still have three boxes in the freezer at the science center so it's not a big deal.   

Yesterday and today were both beautiful sunny days but coooold.   Feels like winter again.  Yuck.   I was enjoying having the door open and fresh air coming through.

I have to run by the science center to feed/water animals but I'm trying to decide if I want to do work there or if I want to tackle the pile of crap in my living room.  I'm going to need to tackle the pile at some point but the work at the science center is easier.  It's much clearer where things go.  Home is chaotic and it's hard to figure out.   But it needs to be done.  Hmmm.  Tomorrow is supposed to be yucky and rainy so maybe I"ll do the science center today, give the animals extra food then I can skip tomorrow to work at home.   Except I probably should also check when dh has conference calls.  

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Paradox5 said:

MOVING DAY!!! Just waiting for the movers to arrive then it gets crazy. I’m not going to be helping cause I hurt my back and leg doing yard work yesterday.

Payday, too. Paid bills while I still have internet so no need to worry about that for the rest of the month.

I have a ripping headache that started last night. I took 2 Tylenol last night and 3 this morning. I can still feel it at the back of my eyes.

(((Paradox)))  Godspeed, my friend.  Safe and uneventful moving wishes for you!

• Like 2

We're having Thai peanut chicken (turkey) with linguiini for dinner.  And a salad.  Yesterday I dumped half a large container of spring mix onto the floor.  🙄  At least it wasn't bacon.  I'm going to make myself go practice mandolin for 20 minutes even though I don't wanna.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Critterfixer said:

One new novel revised, and yes, reader, I cried at the end. 

Thank goodness I have another one to finish revising this month or I'd be in the Pit of Despair tonight.

I used you as an example today. My middle dd gets her feelings hurt all the time when I ask her to change something in her writing. I told her you were a professional writer and you have to change things like a squillion times before it’s good enough. She was still crying. And I was even nice in my critique.

Hey, I got a Booya/h!!

Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 4

Good Morning!!!!

COFFEE!!!!~D

Day!!

School andnwork.  I think we have a staff meeting this morning.  And we have a chance of rain. And the cats are being naughty this morning, crawling up on things And knocking things over.

Susan, what happened to DD’s arm?

Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, KrissiK said:

I used you as an example today. My middle dd gets her feelings hurt all the time when I ask her to change something in her writing. I told her you were a professional writer and you have to change things like a squillion times before it’s good enough. She was still crying. And I was even nice in my critique.

Hey, I got a Booya/h!!

I always have to change things a squillion times. In this case, I was bawling because I just loved the ending so much!  But if I'm making changes for me, I'm usually fine with it.

The trick is taking critique, being able to be angry (mostly at yourself) and then figure out what changes you want to make that will improve the writing and the vision for your story. It's not easy.  My usual recommendation to someone taking critique is to first be in the right frame of mind to read it. Don't read comments first thing in the morning. Make sure you have eaten. Slept. Are in a decent mood (because you won't be after the critique, more than likely). Phase two is read the feedback and don't touch your manuscript or paper. Don't even be tempted. Jot down notes on a piece of paper if you like, but no changes. Next step, go for a walk or do something active. Not something with writing or reading. Then come back to the comments and see if you agree or disagree, and why. Take a full day to brainstorm changes on paper or with a fellow writer, but don't do that until you've quit reacting. After making the changes you decide to make, let them rest. Then read. See if the changes have improved your work, or exposed other things you may wish to change. Or if you hate them. Fix accordingly.

• Like 3

Morning.  I think it's Friday.   Running to the science center and doing an algebra session today with my other student.  I have to figure out where he's at so it may take some fiddling.  

dh is on a conference call and I have to decide if it's worth walking behind him to get my second cup of tea.  I think I'll do it because it just started and I have to leave around the time it ends.  

I did take care of the big pile of crap in my living room yesterday and made a better space for me to work at the table since dh took over my desk.   We'll see how long it lasts.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, KrissiK said:

Susan, what happened to DD’s arm?

She fell on it from her rip-stick a couple days ago.  She says it only hurts when she moves it a certain way, so we thought we'd wait and see.  But it was still hurting this morning and I am paranoid about broken bones healing wrong.  Good news is that they couldn't see anything wrong on the X-ray.  They will send it to the specialty doctor to look it over, but for now she's just supposed to avoid doing anything that makes it hurt.

1 hour ago, myblessings4 said:

Time for another cup of coffee!

I concur!

• Like 2

My doctor's appointment via telephone lasted 1 minute and 45 seconds.  I wonder how much it cost.

This was a check-up with my rheumatologist.  Everything is the same, she couldn't do a physical exam, and there just wasn't a whole lot to say.  She did say to be careful with social distancing because I am on an immunosuppressant.  

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, whitehawk said:

Susan, this is the correct peanut butter snack, for next time: https://www.plantoeat.com/recipes/15523669/

Finished my z-pack the other day, and now I'm back to low-grade fever. All the bad words.

My Very Best Husband looked quite wide-eyed at what I wanted him to make us for dinner tonight. Yes, love, cooking does take time. I think he's trying it.

Stupid. Fever!

Yes, buckeyes are by far the best peanut butter snack, unless you are on a 9 mile hike and it's 85* and sunny. Then we'd have a backpack full of buckeye puddle goop!  😄  (but still tasty...)

• Haha 2

I just spent 30 minutes out on the back deck getting some fresh air.  I need to do this more often.  I always think that I am not an outdoors kind of girl, but what I am realizing is that I am not a bright sunshine kind of girl, a mosquito kind of girl, or a work in the yard kind of girl.  It's not *exactly* the same thing.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Junie said:

I just spent 30 minutes out on the back deck getting some fresh air.  I need to do this more often.  I always think that I am not an outdoors kind of girl, but what I am realizing is that I am not a bright sunshine kind of girl, a mosquito kind of girl, or a work in the yard kind of girl.  It's not *exactly* the same thing.

When dd17 goes outside for her "mandatory 30 minutes of outdoors" she usually sits on the sidewalk with her pencil and notebook writing stories, which is exactly what she would be doing inside on her bed. 😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Susan in TN said:

When dd17 goes outside for her "mandatory 30 minutes of outdoors" she usually sits on the sidewalk with her pencil and notebook writing stories, which is exactly what she would be doing inside on her bed. 😄

I was reading. :)

• Like 3

Mom and I went to the nursery this afternoon. It was packed. I got two rose bushes. I went there thinking I would do the correct thing and get a yellow one and a red one. But then I decided, forget that. I’m gonna get ones that catch my eye. And so I did. One is a gorgeous pinko e called Bewitched and the other is this bold pinkish-orange blossom that has the wow factor. I am proud of myself. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

Mom and I went to the nursery this afternoon. It was packed. I got two rose bushes. I went there thinking I would do the correct thing and get a yellow one and a red one. But then I decided, forget that. I’m gonna get ones that catch my eye. And so I did. One is a gorgeous pinko e called Bewitched and the other is this bold pinkish-orange blossom that has the wow factor. I am proud of myself. 

I am proud of you too!

• Like 2

Well, this disaster area is a disaster no more. We went room by room and they had a minute in each room to clean up. They did pretty good. Mexican food was yummy. We are watching Father of the Bride tonight for Family Movie Night. It’s my turn to choose. I love Steve Martin and Dianne Keaton.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2