Menu

Ignore this thread!

Morning. It's cold and I want spring back. Blackberry winters are a thing here, but I don't have to like them.

Other than than, internet appears to be functional today. It was off and on all weekend due to the rain and storms.  Writing today, reading, and the boys are off to do whatever they want in a socially distant kind of way. Spring break.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Servant4Christ said:

I just contacted Notgrass and looks like they are covered in From Adam to Us, not AtB. I'm just glad they're covered in one of them because Oldest is fascinated by them right now and asked if we can learn more about them next year in history. 

Make sure to preread anything about them. It can be pretty heavy. As awful as the Spaniards are considered (conquerors, abusers, rapists, etc.), they did take the gospel, and on time.

43 minutes ago, myblessings4 said:

Good morning!  It got cold again!  And still rather windy. 

It's snowing in Santa Fe. I'm not there yet.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Servant4Christ said:

Thanks Renai. I'll be sure to do that. Funny, I aced history every year back in highschool but don't remember much about different civilizations. I mostly remember facts about specific people I found interesting. DH remembers a TON and loves history and said they didn't go as in depth as he would've liked in these particular areas. Maybe that's why.

Oh, and the ancient people themselves are pretty heavy as well. There was a lot of human sacrifice. That's why I say the Spaniards came in time; the Aztecs were hitting a high on sacrifices. Pretty terrible stuff.

• Like 2

Hello.  Tired today.  Didn't sleep well, woken up by torrential rain in the middle of the night, then by the dog.   Never set up school and can't until I finish putting laundry away but have no energy to do that.   I did go by the science center because I had to take care of the animals.  Couldn't skip today because I skipped yesterday.   We're under a tornado watch, which is super unusual here in NJ.  Lots of rain and high winds today.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Good Afternoon!

Happy Monday!

I went to Walmart this morning.  Sigh.  I was there much longer than I wanted to be, but I was able to get some much needed items.  We generally use grocery pickup, but they have been limiting quantities in ways that really don't work when you're trying to feed seven people.

I was able to get one package of toilet paper -- they are still limiting that in the stores.  An older gentleman had just picked up the last large package and traded with me.  What a blessing.

And I found meat!!  I was able to get enough meat for the next month without depleting the store's stock too badly.  I am really hoping to not have to go back into a store until June.  We will probably have to do another grocery pickup in a couple of weeks.

I was able to get my prescriptions.

And four boxes of pasta.  Bread, lunchmeat, corn dogs, and fresh fruit!!

Our pantry, fridge, and freezers are full and I am thankful.

• Like 5

Dd21 has been out of eye contacts for 3 or 4 weeks now because we can't re-order without an eye exam, but our eye doctor said they would order them for her and make sure it went through the vision insurance. 🙂  That is such a relief, because she has only one full day scheduled to be home between now and August 2nd.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Renai said:

Oh, and the ancient people themselves are pretty heavy as well. There was a lot of human sacrifice. That's why I say the Spaniards came in time; the Aztecs were hitting a high on sacrifices. Pretty terrible stuff.

Yeah, plenty of nasty stuff in ancient American civilizations.

One of my archeology classes in college was on reading Mayan writing. What I mostly remember was that they had lots of different ways of writing about captives, what they did to captives was pretty gruesome, a lot of the writing on their monuments was about captives, and the Mayan characters themselves are often made up of lovely elements like severed hands.

• Like 2

I just had a really nice talk with my mom. 

She's lonely.  (My dad passed away one year ago this month.) 😞

She is taking social distancing very seriously for her own health and also for her mom's.

My mom told me that she absolutely loves the book that I sent to her.  I think she gushed about it for 20 minutes.

https://www.christianbook.com/beholding-becoming-the-art-everyday-worship/ruth-simons/9780736974929/pd/974929?event=Gifts|1011584

• Like 7

Standardized testing (Stanford) begins here tomorrow.  Dd9 and dd11 will be testing this week.  Dd13 will test next week.  Dd15 and dd17 were supposed to take the SAT, so they will not be testing this year.

Question about standardized testing:  Who will they be norming the tests with this year?

• Like 2

I am not happy. I can’t find my box of hair touch up. And now that stuff is getting scarce. I ordered another box from Amazon.... May 4 is the delivery date. I heard on the radio that hair coloring is running out because nobody can get to the hair salon.  

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Junie said:

Standardized testing (Stanford) begins here tomorrow.  Dd9 and dd11 will be testing this week.  Dd13 will test next week.  Dd15 and dd17 were supposed to take the SAT, so they will not be testing this year.

Question about standardized testing:  Who will they be norming the tests with this year?

California is not testing this year.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

California is not testing this year.

Yep.  A lot of states (including ours, I think) are not testing.  So I'm wondering if they will use scores from previous years or if they will just score the ones that trickle in from meany homeschooling moms like me who are continuing on.

• Like 3

Good Morning!,!!

COFFEE!!!!~D

Day!!!

School for everyone (older two had a teacher in-service originally planned for yesterday, so they didn’t{5 have classes. I am making them do Khan Academy as well as what they have to do for their school). I have work. I kept myself surprisingly busy yesterday. 

Today is the day. I will make sour dough bread exactly the way NYC Artisanal Baker Hipster Dude showed me on his videos. What I can’t figure out is this.....this sour dough bread originated with the California Gold Miners and made it’s way up to Alaska. Why is it so hard to make? I’m sure Scruffy Joe Forty-Niner didn’t know anything about autolysing. Unless it was all inadvertent. Like ... he mixes the flour and water together and then has to leave it in the pan to go shoot some claim jumper and then he came back and behold, it has autolysed. But anyhow, I will give it a go and see what happens.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, KrissiK said:

I am not happy. I can’t find my box of hair touch up. And now that stuff is getting scarce. I ordered another box from Amazon.... May 4 is the delivery date. I heard on the radio that hair coloring is running out because nobody can get to the hair salon.  

My hair is so shaggy right now. I've been threatening to buzz cut it down to the original gray and wear a hat for a few weeks until I get a spiky crop of hair back. I think DH plans to hide the clippers.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

No school here because spring break. Overheard this morning as the boy stomped in from uncovering his grapes so they can get sun today: "This state doesn't have spring. We just have post-winter." Sadly true. 

I'm writing today. Probably won't stir except to feed people and make sure we have clothes. It's a hibernation in creative blankets kind of day.

• Like 6

21 minutes ago, Critterfixer said:

My hair is so shaggy right now. I've been threatening to buzz cut it down to the original gray and wear a hat for a few weeks until I get a spiky crop of hair back. I think DH plans to hide the clippers.

Well you'll never get another chance like this.  (At least I'm hoping that's true, lol).  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I found a package of TP but there was no Half & Half.  Went to another store that had Half & Half, but no TP.  Went to Dollar Tree to buy more water glasses since we seem to be breaking them in record numbers, and they had TP and all natural jam with no hfcs.  Made in Egypt, which seems weird, but whatever.  It's 1/4 the cost of Smuckers.  Did I mention we are completely out of homemade jam?  I haven't bought jam in about 10 years.

In other news, my banjolele tuning pegs came today.  The bridge came yesterday and the strings might be lost in the mail.  We can't really do anything until the strings get here.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, KrissiK said:

I would think the lack of salons using it would result in an excess of hair coloring.   I want to dye the underside of my hair pink, but I think that's not what you are talking about.

Good Afternoon.  Dh woke me up early to take our car to get an oil change.  Yep, our little local guy is still doing work on cars.   He's the only one in the shop.  Then I came to the science center to tutor/teach Algebra.  If it's only one person is it automatically tutoring?  Or is it still teaching if I'm covering new material?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Warning: VentPo  Avert yer eyeballs!

You remember that annoying project on Friday that dh and his department had to spend their day / weekend off working on?  They were just told that they wanted to make some changes and now the project is being pulled to be released (again) in 2 weeks.  One of dh's staff was crying on their phone meeting out of frustration.  Stupid people.  It's not as though dh has ever *really* had a day off since for some reason this carp is considered of utmost life and death urgency.  My apologies to any professional artist  ITTers, but this is one reason I can't listen to pop/worship Christian music.  Those people all suck.

As you were.

• Sad 3

1 hour ago, Spudater said:

Hey Junie, are you and your girls watching Making the Cut?  I’m surprised how many contestants are struggling because they don’t know how to sew. I wouldn’t have thought it was possible to become a fashion designer withoutlearning how to sew well first!

I love the black dress Esther made when they did fabric remnants. That waist!  Swoon!

I've never heard of it. I'll have to look it up in a little while.  Thanks!!

5 minutes ago, Slache said:

It's a boy. There's a small chance I'll need a hysterectomy. I need a middle name for Isaac. Every doctor's appointment Alex is sad I don't come out with a baby.

Slachie!

Isaac Joshua

Isaac Ellis

Isaac Jordan

Isaac Scott

Isaac Michael

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Junie said:

Let the testing begin!

Are you doing paper/pencil, or online?

5 hours ago, Where's Toto? said:

I would think the lack of salons using it would result in an excess of hair coloring.   I want to dye the underside of my hair pink, but I think that's not what you are talking about.

Good Afternoon.  Dh woke me up early to take our car to get an oil change.  Yep, our little local guy is still doing work on cars.   He's the only one in the shop.  Then I came to the science center to tutor/teach Algebra.  If it's only one person is it automatically tutoring?  Or is it still teaching if I'm covering new material?

The product salons use is different than what is sold otc, so a dearth of otc and an excess of professional is likely happening.

It's still teaching, if that is the way the class is set up. Tutoring means the class is specifically geared to that one student and their needs. If someone else shows up to the class, would you be changing how you teach?

4 hours ago, Susan in TN said:

Warning: VentPo  Avert yer eyeballs!

You remember that annoying project on Friday that dh and his department had to spend their day / weekend off working on?  They were just told that they wanted to make some changes and now the project is being pulled to be released (again) in 2 weeks.  One of dh's staff was crying on their phone meeting out of frustration.  Stupid people.  It's not as though dh has ever *really* had a day off since for some reason this carp is considered of utmost life and death urgency.  My apologies to any professional artist  ITTers, but this is one reason I can't listen to pop/worship Christian music.  Those people all suck.

As you were.

The crying may have had to do with overall stress of the situation and not just because of the project. I've had that moment. Then again, it could also just be because they all suck. 

14 minutes ago, Servant4Christ said:

Slaaaashie!!! I missed you! Congratulations! Isaac Russell, Isaac Gabriel.... 

That's Matt's uncle that he hates. I forgot because we don't call him that. The conversation went "Isaac Russell, I-" "Not Russell."

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

40 minutes ago, Renai said:

It's still teaching, if that is the way the class is set up. Tutoring means the class is specifically geared to that one student and their needs. If someone else shows up to the class, would you be changing how you teach?

I'm teaching it specifically to the one student, at her pace and at a time she wants.  Nobody else would join the "class". 

5 minutes ago, Where's Toto? said:

I'm teaching it specifically to the one student, at her pace and at a time she wants.  Nobody else would join the "class". 

Tutoring.

11 minutes ago, Slache said:

*Isaac Isaías

I was going to suggest it, but figured the "Isaias" part was good enough... 😄 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Slache said:

So how is everyone?

Not happy. Since Thursday or so, this Verizon hotspot has been on the blink, after doing so well after a bumpy start. I am now about to speak to the 6th person about this issue. I've been dealing with it all day. Two jobs are on the line, not to mention my Spanish classes.

• Sad 4

1 hour ago, Renai said:The crying may have had to do with overall stress of the situation and not just because of the project. I've had that moment. Then again, it could also just be because they all suck. 

Oh, yes definitely at least partially due to the situation.  Their team has absolutely no control over the projects or how and when they are done, but the responsibility in getting them to the consumers "on time" is on their shoulders, so there's just a lot of stress inherent in the job.  The clients must be kept happy or they leave and nobody has a job any more.  But also they are a bunch of entitled snowflakes and they suck.  One guy actually called dh on a weekend at home and asked him to go to their hotel (an hour away) and see if they left something in the parking lot and mail it to them.  ?  That's like asking the accountant who does your taxes to stop by your bank and pick up some deposit slips for you. Uh, who are you and why are you asking me to do this?

12 minutes ago, Slache said:

So how is everyone?

Yay for the plague.  We are about to lose it.  I found some toilet paper at a store today.  Our trip to the Grand Canyon has not been cancelled yet, but I expect the cancellation refund email every day.

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, Spudater said:

I think it’s like tp and milk where there’s a glut of commercial and not enough packaged for individual sale.  Not sure if it would be legal to try to buy some directly from your salon. 

They do it differently at the saloon anyhow. My hairdresser has my “recipe” for the color my hair is and she mixes it on the spot.

I found a box of touch up at the grocery store, so I am at peace with the world.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2