Menu

What's with the ads?

1 hour ago, ThatBookwormMom said:

Whitehawk, how's ds today?

In bed listening to music, no fever, Rx successful at fighting nausea. We are quarantined for today and unless he's miraculously better in a couple of hours, also tomorrow. (Hence I will have to remove him from the list of scouts selling popcorn at the grocery store; given that we are not buying any ourselves this year, that doesn't bode well for him.)

So yay for no need to go to the ER last night, which was looking like a possibility. Boo to the medicine company who can't/won't do better than "no gluten ingredients" & has nobody to answer phones after 5 PM, and also to the electrolyte companies who think it's fine to put in food coloring and/or mysterious "flavors."

TL; DR: Better than yesterday.

ETA: Now go take a shower. 🙂

Edited by whitehawk
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Slache said:

School: Skill subjects are done daily but content (Bible Timeline, Geography, Astronomy and Literature) have not begun yet. I spend hours every day with maintenance (this has been going on for about 2 months) and hours every night awake with Matt snoring so I'm very overwhelmed.

Has he tried Breathright (dh has used these for years) or a micro cpap device or SnoreStop?

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

Has he tried Breathright (dh has used these for years) or a micro cpap device or SnoreStop?

He refuses because they're uncomfortable. There's a thing he wears called Mute but it's old and he refuses to replace it because he has to make an additional stop but doesn't want to.

• Sad 4

When I was in college, several girls would sit out in the hallway gabbing and laughing at night, and when it seemed impossible that they would alter their behavior, I trained myself to calmly listen to the noise and let the sound lull me to sleep.  I think anything can be turned into white noise eventually.  (((Slache)))

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

When I was in college, several girls would sit out in the hallway gabbing and laughing at night, and when it seemed impossible that they would alter their behavior, I trained myself to calmly listen to the noise and let the sound lull me to sleep.  I think anything can be turned into white noise eventually.  (((Slache)))

He does like this snore scream thing every 20 minutes or so. It sometimes wakes the kids up. So I don't think so. :wacko:

• Sad 3

3 minutes ago, Slache said:

He does like this snore scream thing every 20 minutes or so. It sometimes wakes the kids up. So I don't think so. :wacko:

O good lord.  Can you get that Mute thing on Amazon?

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

O good lord.  Can you get that Mute thing on Amazon?

:laugh: Only for way more than I could in store. It's only just gotten really bad again. I'll tell him to stop on his way home or not come home at all. I need to be better about this.

• Like 4

The thing is is that he doesn't want to be inconvenienced. Stopping at the store is an inconvenience, but me sending him back out is a greater inconvenience so if I threaten that he will stop. If he refuses to stop I will kick him to the couch. If he refuses to go to the couch I will literally sit there kicking him until he leaves the room, goes to the couch and then he stops at the store on the way home the next day.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Slache said:

The thing is is that he doesn't want to be inconvenienced. Stopping at the store is an inconvenience, but me sending him back out is a greater inconvenience so if I threaten that he will stop. If he refuses to stop I will kick him to the couch. If he refuses to go to the couch I will literally sit there kicking him until he leaves the room, goes to the couch and then he stops at the store on the way home the next day.

This.  Or borrow the bazooka.  Or duct tape - I will not say how it should be applied.  Or both.  Sleep is a priority.  For both of you.    

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

I explained the abbreviations dd, ds, and dh (dear son, dear daughter, dear husband) to one of my dc.  She said that is sounded like I had joined a cult.  😂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 5

edpo/

So, youngest dd has, in the past, been fairly successful with CLE.  This school year, not as much.  I have a Course 1 textbook from Dolciani we're thinking about trying for a bit.  I think this will probably also require more one-on-one time.  So, we're also going to move math to first thing instead of whenever she feels like getting to it.  I'm hoping that switching to an approach that's more mastery (i.e. staying on the same topic longer) than spiral might be helpful.  I'm usually in favor of switching at pre-algebra, but maybe we need to do it sooner.  If you hear screaming at 8:05 on Monday morning, you'll know it didn't work.  lol.  

end edpo/  

• Like 5

15 hours ago, KrissiK said:

So, this morning i’m In the office and the girls come in and tell me some lady is outside taking pictures of our house. I go outside to find out what was going and and turns out it’s the lady who used to own the house. She wanted to take pictures for her friends back in Texas. I invited her in and she talked my ear off for an hour. It was very interesting and she’s a very nice lady, but .... an hour.  And she took lots of pictures. Which is really not that weird. Our house has a ton of stained glass that her husband made. So, she wanted picture of all that. I asked her if she wanted it back, but she said “no.” She did ask what I did with the amaryllis bulbs and camellia bushes and the sago palms. The amaryllis bulbs I threw away because I hate amaryllis. But I didn’t tell her that. The camellia bushes were not here when we moved in and the sago palms I ripped out because I hate sago palms.

Hey! Me, too!  It boggles my mind that they are so popular - and pricey. When I bought my first house, I was able to sell the sagos and finance a complete re-landscaping! 🤯

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I took the sliding screen door off the deck entrance.  Juliet has been using the screen as a "doorbell" of sorts by jumping up and raking her nails across it.  We've been trying to get her to use an actual doggie doorbell out there but as long as she's had her screen she has had no motivation to get our attention any other way.  We are also doing the same training on the outside as we did inside to teach her to use the inside doggie doorbell.  Knowledge transfer is apparently not a thing for her. 

• Like 5

6 hours ago, lots of little ducklings said:

Hmmm... They are doing some work, at least. I just had Spelling quiz results emailed to me.  

From where?

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Renai said:

From where?

I use Spelling Notebook (iOS app) for quizzing and practicing the kids’ lists. They can email their results to me.  Very handy. Set up your own lists; the app does the drilling and quizzing. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Found out one of my children has mild hearing loss today. Wondering if it relates to dh's hearing loss.

It has gone downhill since I last took him to the audiologist five or six years ago, then it was still within the normal range though hovering a bit at the lower end. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 5

8 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Buttermilk!  You go girl!  Or boy!  As the case may be. . . .

Girl, I think, if she would spread her wings I would be more confident. Males have narrower black lines and a black spot on the lower wing that females lack.

• Like 7

The kids practiced their quartet music - with a couple more practice sessions they should have Danzon No. 2 and The Sound of Music Medley ready for the next Old Lady Party.

Ds14 just left for the canoeing trip.  (I want to go, too!  Sniff sniff)  We're on our way out the door to Hobby Lobby.   Gotta go potty first.

• Like 8

Our new fridge is being delivered tomorrow!  Finally!!!

We went out to dinner at Olive Garden (ds's favorite) and I had a pina colada.  I'm feeling relaxed and mellow, which is good because it was a loooooooong week.

• Like 9

I'm fine with snakes, but moths and butterflies (like most songbirds) creep me out. In case you didn't already know I'm weird. :) Hopefully Mr. Buttermilk has a better sense of personal space than many of his kinfolk.

DS is a bit cheerier but the coughing has resumed. I think this virus is going to be around for a while. I hope we can get back to normal on Monday or at least Tuesday.

• Like 10

1 hour ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Juliet is now ringing the outside doggie doorbell!  It’s so annoying. Now I have to get up and let her in. 😉

We had a stray cat come by when I was a kid that figured out how to ring the back doorbell.  It wasn't stray for long.  And my father permanently disengaged the doorbell.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 7

Buttermilk is a very pretty male butterfly.  

I'm getting a cold. Sneezing and headache, and runny nose. Just in time for the trip to the lake on Sunday. Well, I refuse to be miserable. I will enjoy myself whether I'm feverish and clutching a Kleenex or able to paddle the kayak. 

• Like 5
  • Sad 3

6 hours ago, Another Lynn said:

I wish it was raining here. It’s so dry!

I wish it would rain here, too.

• Like 4

Good Morning!

Happy Saturday!

We had a mini sleepover last night.  Two sisters slept over.   I might go back to bed as soon as they leave.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

OK, we survived.  :)

The sisters who were here are really sweet girls.  And seven girls in the house is really not that much different than five.

I still didn't get enough sleep, though.

• Like 6

13 hours ago, whitehawk said:

I'm fine with snakes, but moths and butterflies (like most songbirds) creep me out. In case you didn't already know I'm weird. 🙂 Hopefully Mr. Buttermilk has a better sense of personal space than many of his kinfolk.

DS is a bit cheerier but the coughing has resumed. I think this virus is going to be around for a while. I hope we can get back to normal on Monday or at least Tuesday.

Gymnast's cough lasted a couple of weeks. The first week, her temp kept teasing her, going up and down. The third day of tutorial school (after a night of borderline temps), I told her I was going to let her go for her show and tell (it was her day, and she spent time prepping for it), but I was going to pick her up right after because I didn't need her feverish and ill for the next 3 days. She was really upset about it, kept saying she was fine, but once I got her home she crashed in 15 minutes. It worked, although the congested cough stayed until just a couple of days ago. 

• Like 6

Good Morning!!!!

COFFEE!!!!?~D

Saturday!!!

You know, there is really nothing more wonderful in the whole entire world than waking up at 7:00 on a Saturday morning, pulling the cover up, snuggling down and drifting off into that half-asleep/half-awake state for the next half hour. And then, of course, drinking COFFEE!!!~D and figuring out how to get everything done today. But, no one is in the hospital losing body parts and nothing really pressing must be done today except housework and a trip to the Afsa.

DH and DS are going to see the Blue Angels today at the Lemoore Naval Air Station. They saw the Thunderbirds last fall.  DS is very excited.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Junie said:

OK, we survived.  🙂

The sisters who were here are really sweet girls.  And seven girls in the house is really not that much different than five.

I still didn't get enough sleep, though.

Yeah, after a certain amount of kids, it really doesn’t make a difference anymore. And if they are behaving themselves and just playing and having fun, then it’s all good.

• Like 5

I did the whole half asleep/half awake drifting snuggled in bed until the guy started pounding on the roof at 8:30am.  Roof should be done today.

Refrigerator was delivered.  dh had to run out to the store for some kind of fitting to hook up the water.  Evidently the changed the tube in the past 11 years.  

Dd always gets a cough that lasts for months when she's been sick.  Checked it out with the doctor once or twice and it's just a tickle thing evidently.  

After dinner dh and I will run to the science center to pick up all the food from the fridge there and bring it back home.  

Here's hoping things get back to what passes for normal around here for a while.

• Like 10

4 hours ago, Slache said:

999 days.

I'm all a-tingle!  🎉  👍

1 hour ago, KrissiK said:

DH and DS are going to see the Blue Angels today at the Lemoore Naval Air Station. They saw the Thunderbirds last fall.  DS is very excited.

Nice!

• Like 2

Good morning!

I've been to the library and Aldi and the library again.  I also sorta slept until about 7, though was mostly awake for an hour or so from young feet hurrying around with morning chores in order to get started with game time. 👍  Also text and notification buzzing. :dry:

The girls all have birthday parties to attend this afternoon and evening along with writer's club.  Dd16 is really excited about her novel for NaNoWriMo this year.

Dd21 texted last night about a 2-week trip to India she really really really wants to go on.  In January.  Svengo.  Um. She has to figure out how she's going to pay for it, but we agreed that it would be a good idea to go ahead and apply for a passport right away, at least.  Even if she doesn't go, the passport will be worth getting.

More coffee!

• Like 7

You guys passed 3 of my kids a cold the day Scotsman leaves? How could you??

Actually, it is more like the symptoms mine get when the ugly Dairy Allergy/Sensitivity is making its way back around. Bummer cause Daiya seems to have changed the recipe so the cheese is weird. We are eating the stuff in the house then going DF hardcore.

Y’all can have some of the torrents of rain we have had the past few days. We didn’t flood but 5 families in our Church did. On the upside, I don’t have to water the lawn while Scotsman is gone. 

WriteShop didn’t last a day. We all voted WWE/WWS. I can’t decide if The Girl should do WWE 4 first. She was really struggling with the narration bit of 3 by the end. She says she does better when she hears it rather than just reads. ASD Boy should probably do 3. Getting him to write anything is a fight!

Potty training is falling off. Captain did really well for 2 days then started “going” everywhere and screeching “No potty!”. Even the M&M incentive is not swaying him. Any ideas on that, oh experienced ITTers?

Scotsman leaves in a couple hours.  He is all packed, passport located, bank informed so his card doesn’t get flagged, and pre checked in. The kids are trying to shove in Daddy Time like mad. This will be the longest he has been gone at one stretch ever.

• Like 8

Anyone have a simple cinnamon roll recipe that doesn’t require a stand mixer or a bread machine?