Menu

Ignore this thread!

2 hours ago, Servant4Christ said:

I just made my first batch of elderberry syrup. I may have to freeze some because I went a little crazy and ended up making an entire gallon. This was super easy and way cheaper than the store bought stuff. I sure hope it tastes good when I let the children try it in the morning. Oldest wanted to try it before bedtime because he said it smells good. At the time, it was still boiling hot and I hadn't added the honey yet. 😂

My kids complained at the disgusting smell for 3 days.  It wasn't what I'd call pleasant! :laugh:  They will take it, though, without too much fuss.  

• Like 1

Morning.  Need to set up at least a little bit of school this morning, run out to the bank, stop by the science center, clean, finish laundry.

Ds wrote a note asking not to be woken up, while dd is already awake and running laps around her room.   I was trying to keep us on a normal schedule this week because we get so far off when I'm off.  But I must admit, I didn't get up at 6:30.  I set my alarm for 8 and woke up before it went off.   

I really want to get a bunch of stuff done this week.  Once we're back, I don't have another break for 6 weeks. 

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, Servant4Christ said:

Both children like it! Oldest says the only things good about being sick right now is less schoolwork and more elderberry syrup. Youngest kept fussing and reaching for more. Since they both like it, I may keep them on it year round, not just during sick season. The honey is great for seasonal allergies.

You must have the tasty recipe!  Ours just tastes like overly honey-sweet prune syrup.

Happy Tuesday!  

We are on break this week, because the public schools are too and so all our extra-curriculars are canceled.  Woo-hoo! The girls woke up and made a coffee cake (and then did dishes!) so I'm eating my slice right now.     I'm planning on mudding the last wall in the laundry room, which will take the better part of the week. 

Coffee!!  And Cake!

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Servant4Christ said:

Both children like it! Oldest says the only things good about being sick right now is less schoolwork and more elderberry syrup. Youngest kept fussing and reaching for more. Since they both like it, I may keep them on it year round, not just during sick season. The honey is great for seasonal allergies.

Only if it is local honey, though

• Like 3

Did I tell you how I set some tomatoes on fire yesterday?   I was sauteing them and the flame from the gas stove leaped over into the pan and they were a blazing glory.  Would have been much cooler if I hadn't been so startled.  I managed to push the pan over and the fire went out on it's own.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

Internet Po/

I'm tired of references to "Sunday Scaries" (supposedly a name given to the dread people feel Sunday afternoon/ evening about returning to work Monday morning.).  First of all that is the lamest name I have ever heard.  They couldn't think of something better to call it?  Second of all, rub some dirt on it, get back in the game, stop navel gazing, drink another cup of coffee and drive on.  Go team.  lol.  Third of all the hypocrite in me wants to say that as pansy as the whole thing sounds, there is no dread of Monday morning as bad as a homeschool mom who hasn't planned school, caught up on laundry, and gone to the grocery.  

/ end of warning

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

3 hours ago, Servant4Christ said:

Random thought, NOT and EdPo:

Is it weird that I'm considering buying both volumes of CLP Streams of Civilization for myself? It just looks interesting to me for some reason.

If possible, I suggest you see if you can borrow it from a friend  for a week to decide.  It may not be quite what you thought.

7 minutes ago, Servant4Christ said:

I'm finding that no matter how much or how little rice I cook when making stuffed bell peppers, the quantity grows by leaps and bounds and we have a TON leftover for many days after.

I freeze leftover rice in small containers for future lunches with stir-fried leftovers.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Servant4Christ said:

I've never succesfully frozen rice before. It's always been mushy after it thaws or gets reheated. Anyway, mine is already mixed with all the goodies to stuff the peppers. I don't think I made an insane amount THIS time, but it just struck me how much extra I unintentionally make EVERY time.

Huh.  Mine tends to be a bit dry after reheating unless I add a tablespoon or two of water.  Maybe mine is drier before freezing.  

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Critterfixer said:

I ated all the rice pudding. It was delicious.

Keeping up well with my revisions. I'm not entirely happy with all the cuts, but they aren't irritating me quite as badly as I'd feared. 

Someday when you're famous, people will be clamoring for the uncut version of all your novels.  

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Another Lynn said:

Internet Po/

I'm tired of references to "Sunday Scaries" (supposedly a name given to the dread people feel Sunday afternoon/ evening about returning to work Monday morning.).  First of all that is the lamest name I have ever heard.  They couldn't think of something better to call it?  Second of all, rub some dirt on it, get back in the game, stop navel gazing, drink another cup of coffee and drive on.  Go team.  lol.  Third of all the hypocrite in me wants to say that as pansy as the whole thing sounds, there is no dread of Monday morning as bad as a homeschool mom who hasn't planned school, caught up on laundry, and gone to the grocery.  

/ end of warning

My mom said it’s stupid to start dreading Monday on Sunday. It won’t stop Monday from coming and it just wrecks the rest of the weekend. Don’t think about Monday until Monday. Enjoy Sunday.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I ordered foot patches and Greek and a model car John keeps asking about because it was $6, and I think something else that I forgot that I need but will be reminded when it gets here.

21 minutes ago, Spudater said:

I read that realistic schedule thread and now I’m wondering if I havea realistic schedule. 

I have a very realistic schedule.

2AM-11AM Sleep while children play Lord of the Flies

11AM-2PM School and play

2PM-6PM Sleep while children have quiet time and do chores

6PM-10PM Family time

10PM-2AM Vomit

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1