Menu

Ignore this thread!

I talked to Mom95.  She's been on my tackle list all week but there are only certain times that will match my time zone with her availability and I kept missing my window.  It's a bit of a comedy routine to talk to her since she can only "hear" me if she's looking at her captions and she keeps not looking.  How do you tell her to look at the captions when she's not looking at the captions and can't hear you telling her to look at the captions?  But we had a nice talk. 

• Like 7

56 minutes ago, maize said:

Woot!

Dh is at the tumbling meet with ds14; he just called to let me know that ds took first place in his floor event 🙂

This kid has a lot of challenges in life, it makes me really happy for him when he is successful at something.

CONGRATS DS14!!!!  That's awesome. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

23 minutes ago, Servant4Christ said:

...and here I thought everyone likes Saxon. We may just continue with R&S. Oldest IS improving even if he doesn't like it, but he says he misses CLE. CLE (without a doubt) moves too fast IMO, so I thought Saxon might be worth at least looking at even if we don't end up using it. It's definitely at least resellable from what I'm seeing.

We’re doing Saxon. It’s getting the job done.  I prefer CLE, but she finished the 4th grade curriculum and was not ready to move on, so we are now doing Saxon 5/4.

Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, maize said:

I'm PolyAnna-ish by nature, always have been.

My theory is that mood is mostly driven by internal biological processes. Circumstances can have an effect because stress impacts internal biological processes, but a person who is naturally inclined towards getting glum, irritated, or depressed can feel that way even if everything is going right in their life and, evidently, a few of us are capable of feeling generally upbeat even when everything is going wrong. I'm not sure I am actually capable of feeling depressed; I'm only capable of feeling irritated in a very transitory and ephemeral way.

I truly know no one like this irl

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Servant4Christ said:

...and here I thought everyone likes Saxon. We may just continue with R&S. Oldest IS improving even if he doesn't like it, but he says he misses CLE. CLE (without a doubt) moves too fast IMO, so I thought Saxon might be worth at least looking at even if we don't end up using it. It's definitely at least resellable from what I'm seeing.

::ED PO::

Like any curriculum, if it works, use it!  I homeschool tutored middle-schoolers years ago who used Saxon.  It had served the kids well in terms of learning math, but to them it was utterly painful drudgery, no matter how I tried to adjust things.  I then used the kindergarten program for my own oldest (because I was given it for free) and found it was a terrible fit for my dyscalculia kid. 

I can see how other kids might love Saxon though. To each his own.

::ED PO OVER::

3 minutes ago, Servant4Christ said:

I thought I did?! I called it SaxonPo since it's a continuation of the EdPo that became Saxon dominant yesterday. Sorry

Oh, so you did.  I saw Saxon and immediately tuned out.

sorry

Edited by ikslo
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Servant4Christ said:

Back to our SaxonPo:

If I order a 2nd edition 5/4, what do I need to purchase to go with it? I see a teacher's edition. What else?

I got the book, no answer key, no test and I'm not sorry. I will probably follow in Junie's footsteps.

• Thanks 1

ducks are finally gone so I -- er, rosie robot --  just mopped the upstairs.  now to the downstairs, so we can move all the playmobil villagers off the table and back on to the floor in time for supper.  

also i'm eating buttery popcorn.  hence my shift-key impairment.  greasy fingers and all that.

• Like 3

Hello. I think I might be coming down with something. I hope not. See, this is what happens when I socialize! My immune system decides I need to work out more. I'm trying to soothe whatever it is with homemade potato soup. Meanwhile, my boys and DH have decided they should be productive. They are out working on the garden, making me feel like an unwanted slug. I think I might just creep in between the covers, turn on a movie I've seen a million times, and revise from the comfort of the bed.

EDPO: I need to write schedules for next week. The boys have off Monday. I may procrastinate.

• Sad 2

10 minutes ago, Slache said:

I just realized my children have never had any say in their clothing options. Almost everything is hand me down, what isn't was Christmas gifts.

I imagine some would consider this child abuse.

I didn’t buy a single thing until mine was like 5 or 6. My girlfriend’s daughter is 6 months older, so I cleaned. up.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Servant4Christ said:

Thanks. We were only partway through CLE fourth grade when I realized we HAD to take a giant step back. Retention and mastery just wasn't there, thus I assume it was moving too fast. But R&S doesn't have the stuff beyond basic arithmetic that Oldest enjoyed. I thought maybe Saxon would be a happy medium.

Have you tried Math Mammoth?

Not spiral though. Can't remember if maybe we talked about that at some point.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, JoJosMom said:

Has anyone noticed that ikslo has never quite denied that her cabana boy is, in fact, Rocco?

And I don’t recall having been invited for a visit.🤨

I don't think I've ever been invited to an ITTers house, I just told them I was coming. :biggrin:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

10 minutes ago, JoJosMom said:

Has anyone noticed that ikslo has never quite denied that her cabana boy is, in fact, Rocco?

And I don’t recall having been invited for a visit.🤨

You can come visit if you want to risk a GSD bite.  He only takes a little while to get used to new people...

I’ve never called DH Rocco.  But I could start and report back how that goes 😆

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 2

35 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Don’t most people do hand me downs?  My kids didn’t choose their own clothing until they were teens. 

Yeah my kids have lived in hand me downs and cheap shirts/shorts/leggings from Walmart or Target.

My sixteen year old still wears mostly hand me downs when she isn't dressed in gi pants and a dojo t-shirt.

• Like 2